You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Last finished game

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2009, 02:55 AM   #961

Just finished Sherlock Holmes: Case of the Rose Tattoo. I hate to say it, but I was bored by this game. I never felt immersed by the story. Then there was a crazy darts game in there which I couldn't win and had to get my nephew to get me over that part.

The game was long (felt like forever), but I had purchased this game many years ago and I was absolutely determined to finish it. It felt like a chore. I'm sorry that my opinion of this game isn't more positive. I'd give it a 2 out of 5. The voices were excellent, the graphics very good for their time. The music was a little bland.

Plus! It had a password required near the end of the game. I was startled and frightened when this happened as I didn't realize there would be a required password. However, I came to find the answer in the clue book which came with the game.

So, on the whole I didn't like this game and intend to sell it on Ebay soon. Next up game is Woodruff and the Schnibble of Azimuth. Another game I feel compelled to complete. I only hope it plays better than this one.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:34 AM   #962
Stalker of Britain

I just finished "Black Mirror". I still love the reveal, and even though the voices suck, I do like this game. I love the Sanitarium.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 07-07-2009, 02:35 PM   #963

I honestly cannot remember the last game I completed which is quite sad really. Very much a 'hardcore' gamer during the Playstation/Saturn/N64, I now dont have the time or patience anymore and it's sad mostly because I feel that now I am wasting my money buying games I never complete. The main problem with adventure games especially is that they take time and patience as well as the player having to be in the right frame of mind, but coming back from uni lectures and seminars means I rarely if ever get into the right frame of mind.

I think it's very much a case that whilst my heart is in the right place, my mind is too distracted by other things. So help me anyone
Old 07-08-2009, 04:06 AM   #964
Psychonaut

Tales of Monkey Island :Chapter 1

Ressurecting an old franchise is tricky work. A lot of expectation to live up to and a lot of backstory that might put off potential new entrants.

Telltale tackled this once before with Sam & Max, but that series didn't have the breadth of history that Monkey Island has (4 previous games).

So where does this sit on the Monkey Island scale. Is it as good as No 2 or is is No 4 all over again.

Pros

* Excellent voice work for the most part. Great to hear the old cast again.
* Graphical style wasn't as bad as I first thought.
* The inventory interface was cool. At last we can combine items.
* It certainly had some of the Monkey Island charm and feeling.
* It was well written.
* Loved some of the references to the old games and the humour was pretty decent (no out loud laughs, but certainly put a smile on your face most of the time)
* Puzzles for the most part were interesting and logical.

Cons

* The control scheme sucks. What was wrong with point and click. The hold left mouse button and drag scheme is dreadful, twitchy and not that precise. SUre you get used to it, but it's far from ideal. The keyboard control is functional and that is what I ended up using most of the time, but kept thinking why are they trying to reinvent the wheel when the original worked so well in Sam and max etc.

* Lack of locations. Most of the game takes place in a bland jungle maze which is disappointing. One running around the maze puzzle is fine, two smacked of a lack of ideas, three times was annoying.

* Minor Characters were pretty forgetful. None that will rank up with the old characters. There is just not enough time to engage with any of them in such a short time.

* Fake alternative dialogue. Why give various "funny" responses if Guybrush is just going to say the same thing no matter what you pick.

* U-tube, D'oro the explorer- Groan!!

* Far too short. This felt shorter than the other Telltale games.

Overall it was Monkey Island lite and sits on par with the 4th game in the series, but no higher. Monkey Island deserved the respect of a full game what we got was a fun snack when you really wanted a meal.

7/10

Last edited by Lucien21; 07-09-2009 at 02:52 AM.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:41 AM   #965
The Quiet One

Sam & Max Save the World (XBLA):

4/5

A very good port of the PC version. Using a mouse is much better for this sort of game, but using the analog stick actually wasn't too bad and the cursor moved quicker than i expected. Episodes themselves are just as good and funny as the PC version.
Criticisms would be the loading times (although they weren't too bad), but mainly some stuttering issues from time-to-time.

John Woo Presents Stranglehold

3.5/5

A good action game. The sequel to an influential Chinese action movie called Hard Boiled, which i've now purchased after reading good things about it. I first played this game round a friends' house. My main criticism still applies now as it did then - it's quite repetitive. There is a plot, unlike a lot of action games nowadays, which serves the game fine, but it's nothing to get excited about.
The bullet-time is good fun to use. Even though Max Payne is the first action game to implement this gameplay mechanic, i think Stranglehold improves it and makes it better to use. Although, Max Payne wins because of its story, which is handled much better thanks to the way it's told via comic strips.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 07-11-2009, 07:46 PM   #966
Banned User

Ripper (MS-Dos)

9/10

This is an FMV you should not miss. This game includes one of the best stories in a first person detective adventure game, an amazing cast of AAA celebrity actors, a beautifully model environment, creepy atmosphere, and a challenge for everyone.

This game isn't just a simple Myst slideshow. It can be compared more to Buried in Time, where every click plays a video which transitions the camera to the next node. Its absolutely seamless. Cutscenes are usually shown in third person, but there are some first person ones here or there.

To think Jack the Ripper has been overdone with lame excuses for a game. This one, is original and quite intriguing. This is probably one of the best Ripper games to date. Sure its based in the future, but it incorporates the factual story to this dystopic cyberpunk future.

Check it out if you haven't. Its 6 cd's long and might be hard to find.

Oh and not to forget the awesome nostalgic song that is (Don't Fear) the Reaper, by the Blue Oyster Cult. Chilling!
Old 07-12-2009, 01:49 PM   #967
delusions of adequacy

Mass Effect, two play-throughs.

Playing the racist-xenophobe-renegade was by far the better story. It just played like a pulp sci fi novel from the 60s/70s. The ending was particularly delicious. Conversely the paragon story was quite dull, a lot of pandering and such just to be patted on the head in the end.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:43 PM   #968

Finished Demon's souls with all my gaming skills to MAX!
Its now my 4th best 3D game EVER, let alone GOTY.
This is game of lifetime, makes me feel for other games as entertainers rather than real games. Makes me realize how much gaming has really lost!

10/10.

Anyone wants RPG on PS3 get it, but there is plenty of pretenses you need to take heed of before making purchase.
Few of them include
Extremely hard, hardcores, realtime battle system like onimusha(lock ons/evades/parries/stab/reposte/slash/combo etc.), one hit kills and its not walk in the valley experience like WoW or oblivion(people got it thinking that and cursing it).

Even if you will go for farming or grinding one enemy can own you in instant. But best thing is it would be your fault.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:38 PM   #969
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadsoul View Post
Finished Demon's souls with all my gaming skills to MAX!
Its now my 4th best 3D game EVER, let alone GOTY.
This is game of lifetime, makes me feel for other games as entertainers rather than real games. Makes me realize how much gaming has really lost!

10/10.

Anyone wants RPG on PS3 get it, but there is plenty of pretenses you need to take heed of before making purchase.
Few of them include
Extremely hard, hardcores, realtime battle system like onimusha(lock ons/evades/parries/stab/reposte/slash/combo etc.), one hit kills and its not walk in the valley experience like WoW or oblivion(people got it thinking that and cursing it).

Even if you will go for farming or grinding one enemy can own you in instant. But best thing is it would be your fault.
The game isn't even out yet. lol
Old 07-14-2009, 04:08 AM   #970

Finished Gabriel Knight 2.

First of all i must say i hate FMV games, i really do, never got into them. However, i really enjoyed GK2. The story is as expected very good, and very well written, better than the GK1 story in my opinion, at least is more rich and deep.

I really liked the character progression and to see the way Gabriel and Grace were changed by what happened. And i liked Grace, she was the real hero in GK2.

Anyway finally i've played all the Gabriel Knight games, that was something i wanted to do for a very long time, and i can say the series are now in my top list of favourite adventures.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:02 PM   #971

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadji-kun View Post
The game isn't even out yet. lol
Being a game developer doesn't make you more knowledgeable,, does it?

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-...l-70-36pw.html

Release Date Feb 25, 2009
Language English, Chinese
Genre RPG
Version Asia
PAX-Code PAX0002527781
Catalog No. BCAS-20071
Item Code 4948872960717

Old 07-14-2009, 02:23 PM   #972
Banned User

Quote:

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-...l-70-36pw.html

Release Date Feb 25, 2009
Language English, Chinese
Genre RPG
Version Asia
PAX-Code PAX0002527781
Catalog No. BCAS-20071
Item Code 4948872960717

Don't be so snide. How does a game that isn't even released in the major countries make me less of a knowledgable game developer? Oh wait, your a snotty gamer who thinks he's l33t for playing a game pre-worldwide release. Hmmm, sounds like a gamestop employee.

I take that as an uncalled for offense. Its like saying I'm a dumb game developer because I didn't get my hands on a copy of Street Fighter IV when it was released in Japan back in July of 08.

Last edited by kadji-kun; 07-14-2009 at 02:31 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:14 PM   #973

Your post was too uncalled for, your all posts are infact whenever i post , you always seem to come and correct others JUST for the sake of it(with obligatory 'game developer' bragging).
If you are not informed doesn't mean its nonexistent, whether you want to coat it with 'major country' rationalization or otherwise.
Its being localized by Atlus in us and not even coming to europe.
PS3 owners normally import if its in english(majority DID), because they dont need to bother about region, PS3 is region free.

And SF4 was released this year, you cannot get copy of arcade version, for that you need to import the machine.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:05 AM   #974

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roper Klacks View Post
Finished Gabriel Knight 2.

First of all i must say i hate FMV games, i really do, never got into them. However, i really enjoyed GK2. The story is as expected very good, and very well written, better than the GK1 story in my opinion, at least is more rich and deep.
I agree. The Beast Within's story is the best of the three, in my opinion, even if the plot of GK3 was far more complex, wide and elaborate. It's hard, though, to rank them against each other. The three of them are just perfect.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 07-15-2009, 04:29 AM   #975
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadji-kun View Post
IOh wait, your a snotty gamer who thinks he's l33t for playing a game pre-worldwide release. Hmmm, sounds like a gamestop employee.
Cut it out the pair of you. This isn't the first thread you've derailed with what is quite clearly personal animosity between you. If you can't address your differences civilly in threads then please take this sort of discussion to PM in future. I do not wish to see comments like these again.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 07-15-2009, 05:56 AM   #976
handsome

Shadow of Destiny
Nice little game, i'll give it a 6.5

Last edited by stepurhan; 07-15-2009 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Removed stupid comment
Old 07-15-2009, 03:37 PM   #977
Psychonaut

Resident Evil 5

Basically a rehash of Resident Evil 4, transplanted to Africa with high definition graphics.

But RE4 was one of the best games ever made so I wasn't that bothered.

Excellent graphics, wacky plot, frustrating controls that don't allow you to move and shoot at the same time, lots of weird enemies, limited amunition and simplistic puzzles. All in all it's a Resident Evil game.

Superb apart from a disappointing ending - Kill big bad, get 5 second cutscene and 30 mins of credits over a crappy song.

9/10
Old 07-15-2009, 04:26 PM   #978
handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post
But RE4 was one of the best games ever made so I wasn't that bothered.
Why? What was so good about it? Cool gameplay and... what more?

Last edited by stepurhan; 07-16-2009 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Removed stupid comment
Old 07-16-2009, 12:20 AM   #979
Banned User

Quote:
the sake of it(with obligatory 'game developer' bragging).
Game Developer and now Professor. I can brag from two positions now.

Art of Murder 2

7.9/10

Just like the first game, it still lacks any real character growth. That aside, this game is absolutely better than the first. Its more than meets the eye. The main protagonist is much less annoying and somewhat more lovable, but this game really shines in the storytelling department. Definitely check it out if you loved the first game.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:52 AM   #980

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgUh View Post
Why? What was so good about it? Cool gameplay and... what more?
Excellent gameplay really goes a long way. But also great character/creature design and a cinematic epicness; graphics were top-notch for it's time (and do a good job holding up) but more importantly the settings and the las plagas creatures looked amazing and really gave a sense of awesomeness. To m, it really is (one of) the best game(s) ever.