You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Last finished game

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2009, 01:04 PM   #901
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Justice For All

That's the second game in the series, every bit as good as the first one. And the first was the finest adventure I'd ever played!

Actually, I might have enjoyed this more. Maybe it's just my imagination, but I think there was less pixel-hunting and more logic throughout compared with the first game. Whatever the reason, this was one of the few adventure games I've ever been able to beat without consulting a walkthrough. No, scratch that- I think this is the only full-length adventure I didn't need a walkthrough for. Which is not to say it's easy- a lot of it I had to think hard about. But I think most of it was fair.

Anyway, all that's secondary. What's important is, the mysteries get really interesting, there are lots and lots of wonderful twists (as you'd expect), the characters are fun, and all around it was just a wonderful bunch of stories. I can't wait to play the next one.
5/5
Old 04-08-2009, 03:51 AM   #902
I changed my title

Ceville:

Pretty good. The game started getting good towards the end where there were more interactions between the main characters, more puzzles and less attempts at contemporary humour.

The ending was disappointing. I hoped for a better explanation to what happened. Just because it's a comedy doesn't mean we shouldn't get a proper ending.

The game as a whole was ok. The voice acting was very good, the graphics were nice, and there were some clever puzzles.
The game tried too hard to be funny. It was funny when it just let things happen, when different characters interacted -especially Ceville and Ambrosious - it worked the best.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:00 AM   #903
In an evening of July...

The Dig

Finally, a game that reminded me why I used to love adventure games. Great art that made me forget the big pixels, a cheesy sci-fi story just as I like it, not too hard puzzles (admittedly, I still used a walkthrough). The ending was a bit of a let down, it felt a little rushed and too optimistic, but what the hey, I still loved it.

8/10
Old 04-08-2009, 06:49 PM   #904

Send a message via MSN to therabidfrog

The Godfather. Addicting as hell. Not only did I finish the story, but before I did that I took control of all business, factories, and wiped out all competing family compounds. I am the Don of New York!

"There be knockers down here..." - T.G. 1884

My review of The Path
Old 04-09-2009, 02:03 AM   #905
delusions of adequacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL View Post
Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Justice For All

That's the second game in the series, every bit as good as the first one. And the first was the finest adventure I'd ever played!
US names/web domains have been registered for the some time in the distant future english language release of the newest Miles Edgeworth story. Flawless prosecutor or somesuch, unfortunately not the fan dubbed 'perfect prosecutor'. Lots more investigating in this one so perhaps a return of the pixel hunt.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:38 PM   #906
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Yes, I know about that. I'm not expecting anything just because it involves some of the same characters, though. I don't even know if it's being made by the same people.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:14 AM   #907
Master of time and space

I've finished a few. Let's see.

Gears of War 2
Well paced action game that played superb in coop. Story could've used a little more work though or I just didn't read enough documents...
8 / 10

Resident Evil 5
Well paced action game that played superb in coop.
8 / 10

Fable 2
Pretty good but fails miserably to live up to the expectations.
7 / 10

Fallout 3
Good, but not nearly as diverse as it's prequels.
7 / 10

Dead Space
Best game I've played since Okami. Far scarier than any Resident Evil (even the first) and easily on par with Silent Hill 2.
9 / 10

Symphony of the Night
A gem I missed in the 90's. It's still a lot of fun given its' age and I'm currently playing a superior sequel in Dawn of Sorrow.
7 / 10
Old 04-12-2009, 11:11 AM   #908

Just finished Broken Sword 2 for about the third time. Gets better every time, such a shame what the did to the series. In my opinion they should make a broken sword 5 in the same style as 1 and 2 and just forget that 3 and 4 ever happened, carrying the story on from the broken mirror.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:54 AM   #909

Send a message via MSN to therabidfrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdaG View Post
I've finished a few. Let's see.

Gears of War 2
Well paced action game that played superb in coop. Story could've used a little more work though or I just didn't read enough documents...
8 / 10

Resident Evil 5
Well paced action game that played superb in coop.
8 / 10

Fable 2
Pretty good but fails miserably to live up to the expectations.
7 / 10

Fallout 3
Good, but not nearly as diverse as it's prequels.
7 / 10

Dead Space
Best game I've played since Okami. Far scarier than any Resident Evil (even the first) and easily on par with Silent Hill 2.
9 / 10

Symphony of the Night
A gem I missed in the 90's. It's still a lot of fun given its' age and I'm currently playing a superior sequel in Dawn of Sorrow.
7 / 10
That's a pile of great games. I will say that Silent Hill 2 is a piker compared to Dead Space. I couldn't play that thing more than 40 minutes at a time. Still I hated it towards the end because it did what all survival horror games have done since Resident Evil, and the one thing I truly hate about them. It turned into a gauntlet.

"There be knockers down here..." - T.G. 1884

My review of The Path
Old 04-13-2009, 12:59 PM   #910

Just finished playing Grim Fandango again. Such an amazing game I can't believe some people don't like it, everything about it is original. The ending is great to.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:20 AM   #911

The Last Express

Definetly one of the best, maybe the best I´ve played, enjoyed it very much.
Voices, music, graphics, well written..basically everything
I could write very long description of what is so good in this game, but perhaps I leave it for you to discover
Old 04-16-2009, 01:13 PM   #912
Master of time and space

Castlevania - Dawn of Sorrow
Great music, great graphics, great gameplay and great re-playability. Anyone who likes Castlevania should play this game. It does everything right, except the whole drawing of symbols when you've killed a boss, but that only detracts slightly from the complete experience.

9 / 10

Quote:
It turned into a gauntlet.
I agree the last chapters wasn't any good compared to the rest of the game, mainly due to all the fighting.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:57 AM   #913

Finished Overclocked. Really liked it. The music added to the immersion. The going backward in memories was intriguing. Not sure how I felt about the psychiatrist and there were some unanswered questions, but on the whole I liked it and will probably replay it at some point.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:32 AM   #914

Send a message via MSN to MikeLXXXVIII

Just finished broken sword, wow the ending felt very unsatisfying! Things got resolved a bit too hasty in my opinion.
I am not so impressed by the story, as I thought I would be much better. So I am pretty disappointed in that regard. Also the talk about people saying it has logical puzzles which seems ridiculous to me. The most logical most of the time is play around with your enviroments before a hint or no motive behind such (which doesn't make sense either as you just pick stuff up and use them for different occasions). I know the adventure genre is plagued by this ,but when I think logical puzzles it should mean directly what it means even if its much less obscure and easier to figure out puzzles.

Some of its most stupid moments that made no sense to figure out.
(SPOILER)
Spoiler:
George being the random clown to get rid of a street performer and an officer? George finding a timing when a person opens a door and some boy hits the ball towards the door that opens that then bounces around and hits a cat on the other side that then hits some figurine that falls next to you, that you will have use for later! and larer you make the figurine mysteriously look valueable by rubbing some paint!
Funny enough I figured out these puzzles on my own even when they were the worst offenders...

George apparently has no problem buying expensive tickets to Syria, but finding a bank to get out money what a hassle!

Well otherwise than these unfullfilling moments, I did enjoy the game a lot despite its ending and moments. I do want to play through the sequels properly this time around. I hope this directors cut which was made very well (I do like the additions they made), will inspire to more adventure games or remakes.

Last edited by Dale Baldwin; 04-21-2009 at 09:13 AM. Reason: mark spoilers appropriately with spoiler tags
Old 04-24-2009, 07:19 AM   #915
Stalker of Britain

I just finished the new "Pins and Needles" Editions of the Dark Falls. The first one was as wonderful as ever, but I was pretty disappointed in the "Director's Cut" of the 2nd game. It was nice to have more ghost interaction, but not that much really was changed, and some of my favorite bits were cut. Also, there were a lot of spelling mistakes that kind of made it look really unprofessional. And everyone knows I'm like the biggest fan, so I'm not trying to burn it.

3 out of 5 Stars
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 04-24-2009, 08:13 AM   #916

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
It was nice to have more ghost interaction, but not that much really was changed, and some of my favorite bits were cut.

No !

I´m playing DARK FALL 1 at the moment, really like it so far.

What bits got cut from DF2 ?
Old 04-24-2009, 10:09 AM   #917
Stalker of Britain

Not too much, so don't worry too much about it.
Spoiler:
Some of Polly's journal cut out her mentioning the Dowerton experiment, which I loved her discussing, if you've played the first version of Lights Out. Also, I used to like some of the older puzzles and way to communicate with Polly.

Don't get me wrong, the whole package was a good buy. I absolutely love the soundtrack that comes with it, I listen to it all the time. The companions are nice to have to get more information from the ghosts then you think you could have had. The Ghost Stories are amazing, and the few touches in "Dark Fall 1" were really good. The whole buy was good, I was just disappointed in what his definition of "Director's Cut" is.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 04-24-2009, 01:31 PM   #918

Fine thanks !

I bookmarked this site, so that I can check out the spoilers after having completed DF2.

I just finished my first hotel "run-through", examined all accessible rooms,
solved some puzzles and took tons of notes !!!

Haven´t done this for quite some time whilst paying a game.

Way to go !
Old 04-25-2009, 08:22 AM   #919

Default Next Life

Next Life 7/10

This turned out to be an intriguing mystery with excellent art and some of the most realistically drawn characters I’ve seen in a game. I liked the main character and his (Chezoslovakian?) accent. His attitude reminded me a little of George Stobbard, although he is more fearful and unique looking and is from another land.

The voiceover acting of some characters was monotone and amateurish. There was the occasional faulty English translation that made a joke fall flat and confused clues. The intense pixel hunting and the revisiting of locations got annoying.

The games cut scenes created high expectations for the end as did the build up of the plot. Although it was a decent ending, much more could have been done. I am left worrying about what happened to the rest of the folk on the island. Also, I would have appreciated a more fleshed out explanation about the dreams and what happened to those that “died” on the island.

Games I am trying to play but can’t because of glitches:
Everlight installs but won’t launch
Rhiannon won’t launch a mid-game animation needed to move forward
Darkness Within won’t launch an animation scene needed to move forward

Favorite Adventure Games:
Riven, The Longest Journey 1, Syberia 1 & 2, Grim Fandango, Still Life 1, Broken Sword Series, Lost Crown

Heavy Rain (Action/Adventure)
Old 04-25-2009, 10:27 AM   #920

Finally completed Far Cry 2 using the ending where I go up to the mountain and blow it up along with myself.

The ending was way too short. I suppose the ending would be better if I decided to take the diamonds and bail.

I would reload a saved game and try that ending, but I decided to restart the game straight away, this time playing on hardcore hard mode. Should keep me busy for a while.

Overall: 8/10. Would've been 10/10 if it weren't for the lack of variety with the missions, and you're kinda forced to do as many assasination missions to buy the best weapons.

This is still my favourite FPS ever though.

Quote:
Dead Space
9 / 10
Thats a very bold statement, and I doubt it's true, but I'll check this game out if it's at least nearly as good as the Silent Hills.