You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Last finished game

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2007, 07:40 PM   #381

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerite View Post
D'OH!!! Fiddle-dee-dee!!
Tell me about it, sister.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:02 AM   #382

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

Final Fantasy X 9,25/10
Final Fantasy X delivers a great and multibottomed storyline like always. The step up to PS2 meant improved graphics but except for the main theme To Zanarkand, the music is a step down. I enjoyed the return of a technology filled fantasyworld but the free roaming which was so enjoyable in the previous three games were gone. The battle mechanics held great balance at first but dropped a bit later on. I killed the final bosses with like 2-3 strikes each. Unlike FF8 and 9, FFX did not touch my emotions as much even if I loved the characters (Unlike FF8 and 9, FFX did not make me sob like a fourteen year old girl). There were some great scenes but they were rare. It's sad that I could not use all characters more due to the imbalance I mentioned before. The weakest part was the equipmentsystem. I barely bothered changing weapons/armor and the ultimate weapons was simply boring to get (over 10 hours of Blitzball??). It took me 17 days to finish FFX which is 3 days longer than FF7 and 9. Yet again I finished the entire game and all extras, but I skipped the Dark Aeons except for the one required to kill to get Aurons last overdrive. Many "buts" FFX is still an awesome game that was worth buying a PS2 for, even if it does not quite reach up to the previous 3 as far as I concern. But that's like comparing the best to the bestbest, few series spend so much time on building so deep and complex storylines that still keep me surprised when the twists just keep bombarding me.

As a sidenote. My girlfriend sitting near me when I ended it cried openly at the ending.
Old 08-04-2007, 04:07 AM   #383
Master of time and space

Quote:
Originally Posted by JemyM View Post
Final Fantasy X 9,25/10
Final Fantasy X delivers a great and multibottomed storyline like always. The step up to PS2 meant improved graphics but except for the main theme To Zanarkand, the music is a step down. I enjoyed the return of a technology filled fantasyworld but the free roaming which was so enjoyable in the previous three games were gone. The battle mechanics held great balance at first but dropped a bit later on. I killed the final bosses with like 2-3 strikes each. Unlike FF8 and 9, FFX did not touch my emotions as much even if I loved the characters (Unlike FF8 and 9, FFX did not make me sob like a fourteen year old girl). There were some great scenes but they were rare. It's sad that I could not use all characters more due to the imbalance I mentioned before. The weakest part was the equipmentsystem. I barely bothered changing weapons/armor and the ultimate weapons was simply boring to get (over 10 hours of Blitzball??). It took me 17 days to finish FFX which is 3 days longer than FF7 and 9. Yet again I finished the entire game and all extras, but I skipped the Dark Aeons except for the one required to kill to get Aurons last overdrive. Many "buts" FFX is still an awesome game that was worth buying a PS2 for, even if it does not quite reach up to the previous 3 as far as I concern. But that's like comparing the best to the bestbest, few series spend so much time on building so deep and complex storylines that still keep me surprised when the twists just keep bombarding me.

As a sidenote. My girlfriend sitting near me when I ended it cried openly at the ending.
Any pointers on defeating the last bosses? I keep getting defeated by Sin (the version with an overdrive bar) right after I've defeated Yunalesca.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdaG View Post
Any pointers on defeating the last bosses? I keep getting defeated by Sin (the version with an overdrive bar) right after I've defeated Yunalesca.
Finally got him by using Holy with both Yuna and Lulu. I'm now at some strange place with a lot of mist and a fog of war...

*edit*
Doh! This was suppose to be an edit...

Last edited by Melanie68; 08-04-2007 at 08:51 AM. Reason: merged. :)
Old 08-05-2007, 01:17 AM   #384

Quote:

Finally got him by using Holy with both Yuna and Lulu. I'm now at some strange place with a lot of mist and a fog of war...

*edit*
Doh! This was suppose to be an edit...
My strategy would have been; one hit kill him with the right weapon and use the omega ruins to level up your characters. All the best weapons make it possible to deal more than 9999 damage per attack. After I unlocked Wakka's best weapon he did 75k damage per attack while both Yuna and Lulu doublecasted Ultima at 1mp, while Lulu also had boosted magic. That means that it only took Lulu and Yuna to do 4*15-30k damage on all opponents in the battle.

Among every final boss there was in the game, there were only two that had enough time to attack me before they were gone.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:24 AM   #385
Master of time and space

Quote:
My strategy would have been; one hit kill him with the right weapon and use the omega ruins to level up your characters. All the best weapons make it possible to deal more than 9999 damage per attack. After I unlocked Wakka's best weapon he did 75k damage per attack while both Yuna and Lulu doublecasted Ultima at 1mp, while Lulu also had boosted magic. That means that it only took Lulu and Yuna to do 4*15-30k damage on all opponents in the battle.

Among every final boss there was in the game, there were only two that had enough time to attack me before they were gone.
I guess I need to find those weapons. Braska's final Aeon is not going easy with me...

Anyway. Metal Gear Solid 2. Extremely good game with a good story and fun gameplay. A little short though, but sweet nonetheless. 9/10
Now I really should get the first game in the series since I haven't played that...

Last edited by MdaG; 08-05-2007 at 10:17 AM.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:19 AM   #386

Quote:
I guess I need to find those weapons. Braska's final Aeon is not going easy with me...
Beware though, they take ages to get and they are extremely annoying. It took me about 2 days total just to get thoose weapons which included 12 hours of blitzball

Wakka's, Yuna's, Lulu's, Tidus and Auron are the most recommended. Each special weapon requires you to find one difficult-to-find weapon, one difficult-to-find part, then you must participate in an annoying minigame for the second. I can tell you what I felt about each minigame within the spoiler below:

Spoiler:
Auron: You must collect 1 monster of every kind in 10 maps. Wont take that long if you have 3 good fighters with "capture" on their weapons, just revisit the first 10 maps and you'll make it in notime.
Kimahri: Very difficult butterfly catching minigame.
Lulu: You must dodge 200 lightning bolts in thunder plains. This is actually easier than it sounds, it just takes concentration. Keep focused and do not let your mind run off and you should be able to do it.
Rikku: You must sneak up on cactuars in bikanel desert. Takes awhile and is quite difficult, but you can reset the PS2 if you fail.
Tidus: Requires you to win a chocobo race which can be highly annoying. Either you win at once, or it will take hours and give you serious headache. It's part skill, part training, part luck.
Wakka: The most timeconsuming of them all... you must win all wakka's overdrives in blitzball (random prizes) then it will appear as random prize (prizes for leagues are updated when you win the last match so you might have to play an entire league 2,5 hours just to update the list of prizes A tip is to save before match 9 and reset the playstation if the prize you want appear after a league.)
Yuna: You must defeat the first aeons at the Remiam Temple. Easiest one of them all.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:26 AM   #387
kamikaze hummingbirds

Jus' finished MGS3: Snake Eater.
Fun game, thourougly enjoyed it!
I think I'll go hunting for Forbidden Siren round the pre-owned games shops now.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:49 PM   #388

I just realised that I haven't actually finished a game in months. The last game I actually finished was 'Grim Fandango' which I would give an 8/10, not higher purely for the reason that my bloody boyfriend kept looking up the walkthrough!

It was a game I wanted to complete without a walkthrough so that was a minus point there, the other reason for the minus point was that the ending didn't quite grab me. It felt a little bland but maybe that's because in the end my annoying boyfriend made the whole game a little rushed.

Even hiding his phone (that he looks up the walkthrough on) was a chore when I wanted to play. LOL!

Other than that it was exactly how everybody describes. The controls didn't bother me at all.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:41 PM   #389

Just finished Broken Sword 3. Nice game overall, except for an overkill of box puzzles. The avatars and lead voice actors are very good, especially George. Nico’s rare “tender” moments are nice and I’m hoping she and George get together in 4 … but apparently they don’t. Not sure if I should get BS 4.

Favorite Adventure Games:
Riven, The Longest Journey 1, Syberia 1 & 2, Grim Fandango, Still Life 1, Broken Sword Series, Lost Crown

Heavy Rain (Action/Adventure)
Old 08-12-2007, 09:35 PM   #390
Adventure Newbie

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - 8/10

This was the first Zelda game that I actually had to force myself to finish. I simply didn't care anymore after the first five temples or so. I don't know if I've simply grown out of Zelda or if a traditional Zelda game has just grown stale in today's gaming world. Judging by reviews and fan reaction, I'd guess the former. I guess I'm just crazy.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:06 AM   #391
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

A very competent action game, which is too short to get boring. There's a focus on exploration, a la Metroid, which makes it a problem that the castle is for the most part uninteresting. Each area is defined more by its colors and tiles than by its shape, which is consistently only serviceable. (Long empty corridors, big square rooms for boss fights, long staircases, etc.) Its age is no excuse for this- even Metroid 2 had more interesting world design than this, and that was for the Game Boy! Few of the enemies require intelligent fighting- it's mostly just tapping the sword button as fast as you can. On top of this simplistic game design, an RPG-type simulation is tacked on. It's awkward and never got fun, but it adds a slight impression of depth to the game. The gameplay is justified (I hate it when games think they have to justify their gameplay!) by a terrible story, but mercifully there are few cutscenes over the course of the game.

By the end boss, I was mostly unimpressed. There wasn't much the game was doing wrong, but it also wasn't very creative. So when I beat the (incredibly easy) boss, I saw the game as a decent one, but nothing special. And then I kept playing, and I saw the twist. Oh, what a twist. I feel sorry for people who played through this game and never realized there was more to the game after the end boss. (I'm sure there are many such people.) Because the twist is inspired. The remainder of the game is much more fun to play, because the post-twist environments have such a clever hook to them. (I won't say more.)

That portion of the game also ended with a whimper, and the twist loses its freshness after a while, but overall the second part of the game elevated the experience into something more worthwhile.

4/5

Last edited by MoriartyL; 08-13-2007 at 06:16 AM.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:30 AM   #392

Final Fantasy X-2 8.5/10
100% complete, perfect ending. The best word I can put on Final Fantasy X-2 is "original". This game is absolutely nothing what I had expected. From the game mechanics to how the story was told and numerous things I never seen in a game before. FFX-2 is a direct sequel to FFX and whoever have not played the first game have no reason whatsoever to play FFX-2. FFX-2 expands on the many plotlines introduced in FFX and manages to tie up all the loose ends. In FFX-2 I have seen the first all-girl party. I do not remember a roleplaying game in which the main character is a woman. I have never seen a roleplaying game that plays out like a girl manga. This is a very feminine game with strong feminine themes. It's not as deep and complex as other FF games though so I had to take down the score a bit even if it's still a decent game and well worth it for thoose who played the first game.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:54 AM   #393
Master of time and space

Beyond Good and Evil (10/10)
Goodness this was a sweet ride! I haven't had this much fun since... I dunno. The game reminded me a lot of Little big adventure 1 & 2 for some reason. I REALLY hope they conclude this trilogy some day as the creators of this game have a lot of potential. The story wasn't original and there could've been more depth to it, but I still had more fun playing this that most of the games out there today. The only games prior to this that have been up to the same level in my opinion are Little Big Adventure 1 & 2, Outcast, Deus Ex and Fallout 2.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:41 PM   #394
Squeaky

Clive Barker's Undying

Not a bad little frolic, but something of a wasted opportunity, considering it could have made for some terrifically tense and moody gaming (something Realms of the Haunting and the Thief games did much better).

Weapons and spells were a bit poorly balanced, and it was sometimes just too easy to die, despite the ridiculous abundance of health packs (I had somewhere in the region of a hundred by the time I finished the game).

Still, an interesting game, and worth checking out if horror titles are at all your bag.

4 / 5
Old 08-17-2007, 07:43 AM   #395
The Punisher

Send a message via ICQ to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via AIM to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via MSN to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via Yahoo to [toj.cc]Phantom

Agatha Christie: And Then There Were None
8 out of 10

Really enjoyed this, even though the ending was different from the book, it actually wasn't that bad. I wouldn't even have minded if the book had ended like that, but since it didn't, the book ending is still far superior.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:44 AM   #396
The Punisher

Send a message via ICQ to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via AIM to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via MSN to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via Yahoo to [toj.cc]Phantom

Quote:
Final Fantasy X-2 8.5/10
100% complete, perfect ending. The best word I can put on Final Fantasy X-2 is "original". This game is absolutely nothing what I had expected. From the game mechanics to how the story was told and numerous things I never seen in a game before. FFX-2 is a direct sequel to FFX and whoever have not played the first game have no reason whatsoever to play FFX-2. FFX-2 expands on the many plotlines introduced in FFX and manages to tie up all the loose ends. In FFX-2 I have seen the first all-girl party. I do not remember a roleplaying game in which the main character is a woman. I have never seen a roleplaying game that plays out like a girl manga. This is a very feminine game with strong feminine themes. It's not as deep and complex as other FF games though so I had to take down the score a bit even if it's still a decent game and well worth it for thoose who played the first game.
I liked this game, but it was probably my least favorite from any of the Final Fantasy games. Didn't Final Fantasy VI have a female main character. And what about Xenosaga? Wasn't the main character a woman in the first one?

Last edited by [toj.cc]Phantom; 08-17-2007 at 07:49 AM.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:33 PM   #397

Quote:
Originally Posted by [toj.cc]Phantom View Post
I liked this game, but it was probably my least favorite from any of the Final Fantasy games. Didn't Final Fantasy VI have a female main character. And what about Xenosaga? Wasn't the main character a woman in the first one?
I have not played them yet unfortunally.
Old 08-26-2007, 04:53 PM   #398
Cheese Pants King

Send a message via Yahoo to Endosanity

Finshed Killer 7:

Quite the odd game when it's all said and done but in a good way. It did open up Killer 8 to play which is already proving to be more of a challenge.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:16 PM   #399
Master of time and space

ICO 8/10
A pleasant ride. The weak story is compensated by beautiful visuals and probably the coolest enemies in gaming history . A really good ending as well. I can recommend this to anyone who enjoy games like Tomb Raider or Prince of Persia.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:12 PM   #400
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Finally I completed Phoenix Wright 1!
After 1,5 years of on/off playing I completed the fifth and final case some moments ago!
Next in line... Phoenix Wright 2: Justice For All!

Also thankfully the winter is coming, I really have to start getting back to continuing Stalker and to start C&C 3.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.

Last edited by Kolzig; 08-29-2007 at 02:21 PM.