You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Last finished game

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2007, 06:29 AM   #341

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

Final Fantasy VII: Dirge of Cerberus (8/10)
Dirge of Cerberus (DoC) takes off 2 years after the movie, meaning 3 years after the game. The game is about the character who were not main characters in the first game, such as Caith Sith (Reeve) and Yuffie, but mostly DoC continues the tale of Vincent and Lucretia. In DoC, Vincent is given a role with as much depth and complexity as Cloud had in the original game. The story takes up on the loose threads started in FF7 as well as Vincents level 4 limit break (Chaos). They have really tried to take after FF7 when they did the new game. Many mechanics from the original game is reused in Dirge, including some of his weapons (such as Death Penalty), many items such as Elixir, Ether, X-Potion, Phoenix Dawn etc. Vincent also get experience and levels up and gains more hitpoints and more accuracy etc. I cannot really put my finger on why I cannot give the game a greater score, maybe it's because next to a well told story and advanced game mechanics, there is a game that is a pretty average shooter that feels very repetitive. After watching the very beautiful end movie I am satisfied with having played it, even if I had prefered to watch a video with all cutscenes prerecorded and thus spared me from actually playing the game.
Old 06-23-2007, 07:07 AM   #342
Master of time and space

Quote:
Originally Posted by JemyM View Post
Final Fantasy VII: Dirge of Cerberus (8/10)
Dirge of Cerberus (DoC) takes off 2 years after the movie, meaning 3 years after the game. The game is about the character who were not main characters in the first game, such as Caith Sith (Reeve) and Yuffie, but mostly DoC continues the tale of Vincent and Lucretia. In DoC, Vincent is given a role with as much depth and complexity as Cloud had in the original game. The story takes up on the loose threads started in FF7 as well as Vincents level 4 limit break (Chaos). They have really tried to take after FF7 when they did the new game. Many mechanics from the original game is reused in Dirge, including some of his weapons (such as Death Penalty), many items such as Elixir, Ether, X-Potion, Phoenix Dawn etc. Vincent also get experience and levels up and gains more hitpoints and more accuracy etc. I cannot really put my finger on why I cannot give the game a greater score, maybe it's because next to a well told story and advanced game mechanics, there is a game that is a pretty average shooter that feels very repetitive. After watching the very beautiful end movie I am satisfied with having played it, even if I had prefered to watch a video with all cutscenes prerecorded and thus spared me from actually playing the game.
Sounds like an awful high score for a game that you wish you didn't have to play just to enjoy the story...
Old 06-23-2007, 11:09 PM   #343

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdaG View Post
Sounds like an awful high score for a game that you wish you didn't have to play just to enjoy the story...
That's based on the mechanics and the story, both great. I think I gave Halo the same score, taking down 2 points due to it's repetitive nature.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:45 PM   #344
gin soaked boy

Giving Halo (a very good to great game, even if not worthy of all the fanaticism surrounding it) and Dirge of Cerberus (incredibly crappy FFVII cash-in) the same score is a bit strange, though.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:59 PM   #345
Cheese Pants King

Send a message via Yahoo to Endosanity

Finished:

Penumbra Overture: Ep. 1 - The ending was depressing and creepy at the same time. The thing with the frozen lake got annoying and... it could have used a few zombies. Was I the only one thinking "Day of the Dead" in the underground facility? But the end makes you wonder... anyway, bring on Ep .2.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:28 AM   #346

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra View Post
Giving Halo (a very good to great game, even if not worthy of all the fanaticism surrounding it) and Dirge of Cerberus (incredibly crappy FFVII cash-in) the same score is a bit strange, though.
Both have good mechanics but feels very repetitive. Halo is the lesser of the two in my opinion since it also suffers in story. When I think about it, I might actually have given Halo a 7.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:57 AM   #347
gin soaked boy

Well, although I wouldn't agree with you (no surprises there, we seem to be as different as they come), even Microsoft admits Halo is over-rated.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:23 AM   #348

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra View Post
Well, although I wouldn't agree with you (no surprises there, we seem to be as different as they come), even Microsoft admits Halo is over-rated.
"but man... can it be repetitive! I just finished replaying Halo 2 (on Windows) and was reminded of this when I went through the umpteenth cloned hallway and walked through nigh-infinite series of ambushes. <sigh> And for the sake of not breaking my keyboard against the wall, I won't even mention Halo 2's non-ending." <- That really sums up my review on the game. Halo is probably the most repetitive game I have played since the early nineties. I really remember the part he is refering to and even if there were more places like that, that part really wanted me to drop the game.

Last edited by JemyM; 06-26-2007 at 02:45 AM.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:41 AM   #349
gin soaked boy

I've never played Halo 2, but I hated repetitive level design of Halo myself (The only things that really bother me are repetitive gameplay (though it's mostly fun and challenging so that's forgivable) and awfully repetitive level design.

Everything looks so similar and so clinically sterile, it's almost like Tron without the neon accents. The human ships look almost exactly like the Covenant ships which in turn look almost exactly like Halo's own structures. And they're all mostly comprised of virtually indentical corridors, with a larger room of often mysterious functionality thrown in for good measure. Where do all those aliens and space marines sleep? Do they eat? Don't they need to go to the toilet from time to time? It's like they haven't really given level design much thought.
). However, I still liked the game for its awesomely fun combat.
Old 07-01-2007, 01:15 PM   #350

Final Fantasy VIII (9,5/10)
Many have told me to not mess with Final Fantasy VIII. That the game can be passed, that it should be disliked. I cannot agree. There are not many games that make me go up early in the morning, take an extra coffee late at night just to get more hours to play, and there are not many games that made me cry at the ending.
Except a few issues with game balance and mechanics (unbalanced and easily exploited) and a slow start (first CD) the game is superb, equal to only a few other games on the market. The story is fantastic and well written. The characters arent as developed as they are in Final Fantasy VII but alot more than the usual games on the market. I do not think I ever seen a such long ending either. It took me eight days to finish it. 6 days less than FF7.

Last edited by JemyM; 07-01-2007 at 01:30 PM.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:46 AM   #351

Touch Detective (NDS)
7/10

Was pretty neat for a game i got by accident. Fun dialogs and the uber screen shows the main chars reaction and once in a while what she thinks, which is most of the time the contrary of what she says.
unfortunitly there are also some flaws in the game and pixelhuntin on a DS screen is not something you wanna do...esecially with a stylus

Remember: "You can pick your Friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose."
Old 07-02-2007, 12:37 PM   #352
long live the dragons

Send a message via MSN to pointandcliklover

lesuire suit larry 1 vga -- 7 out of 10

it can be annoying with all the deaths but no where near as annoying as number 2 and ive only got to part 2

prefer the original game before touch ups

alot of the bonus features and easter eggs were left out

still good though, even though it does not really explain the second game

Marise-Chiko
Old 07-02-2007, 12:56 PM   #353
Master of time and space

Quote:
Originally Posted by JemyM View Post
Final Fantasy VIII (9,5/10)
Many have told me to not mess with Final Fantasy VIII. That the game can be passed, that it should be disliked. I cannot agree. There are not many games that make me go up early in the morning, take an extra coffee late at night just to get more hours to play, and there are not many games that made me cry at the ending.
Except a few issues with game balance and mechanics (unbalanced and easily exploited) and a slow start (first CD) the game is superb, equal to only a few other games on the market. The story is fantastic and well written. The characters arent as developed as they are in Final Fantasy VII but alot more than the usual games on the market. I do not think I ever seen a such long ending either. It took me eight days to finish it. 6 days less than FF7.
Are you ticking off FF9, FF10, FF10-2 and FF12 now?
Hehe, I gotta say you've got stamina... I'm still going at FF10 and it feels like a game with no ending
Since I haven't played FF7 & FF8 since the 90's I can't recall if they were better or worse than FF10.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:36 PM   #354
One for the road?

You are Empty. Interesting, but repetitive eastern-european FPS. 6/10.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:40 PM   #355

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdaG View Post
Are you ticking off FF9, FF10, FF10-2 and FF12 now?
Hehe, I gotta say you've got stamina... I'm still going at FF10 and it feels like a game with no ending
Since I haven't played FF7 & FF8 since the 90's I can't recall if they were better or worse than FF10.
Already started on FF9.

Theese games are simply incredible... I am happy I gave them a chance. This year I have played the Metal Gear Solid series, the Resident Evil series and the Final Fantasy series, the bahemoths of console gaming. Im glad I did. I havnt had a gaming year like this for years!
Old 07-02-2007, 03:49 PM   #356
In an evening of July...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimpingFish View Post
You must be the only one besides the reviewers who actually played the game. You are Empty had been hyped in Russian gaming magazines and the concept looked great - it turned out to be another Kreed. Shame, shame. I am somewhat surprised you gave it that high a score.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:19 PM   #357
Thats the ticket

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimpingFish View Post
Give Stalker a go.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:35 PM   #358

Alpha Prime for some brainless funhouse shooting. Looks and plays almost like DooM3. just love it

Remember: "You can pick your Friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose."
Old 07-04-2007, 08:16 AM   #359

Gears of War - 8/10

Finished this with my wife on casual a few days ago, and again with my brother on Hardcore difficulty. Pretty good game, not a classic but still good. Didn't really get much of the story, but the ending did make me look forward to the sequel.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:58 PM   #360
Master of time and space

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonBlue View Post
Gears of War - 8/10

Finished this with my wife on casual a few days ago, and again with my brother on Hardcore difficulty. Pretty good game, not a classic but still good. Didn't really get much of the story, but the ending did make me look forward to the sequel.
I really agree that the story could've been better laid out. I hardly understood why I was fighting, but apart from the story and the need to unlock insane mode before being able to use it, Gears it probably the best FPS shooter I've played.