You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Last finished game

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2007, 02:13 PM   #221
gin soaked boy

Finished Armed & Dangerous some twenty minutes ago. It's better than Giants: Citizen Kabuto and almost as good as MDK. Almost. There are just several things holding it back: the relative lack of different enemy types, somewhat unimaginative levels (from the art standpoint, design is pretty good) and those god-awful cut scenes. They're not only poorly produced, they're so badly compressed that even YouTube videos look better in comparison. At least they're occasionally funny, even though humor is rather hit and miss, just like it was in Giants.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:50 PM   #222
Vigilant

Ironically enough, I just finished Giants about ten minutes ago and I feel that it was much better than both MDK and Armed and Dangerous. The variety of gameplay throughout the various levels was staggering and very much appreciated. Although I enjoyed the Sea Reaper levels the most, all three combined very fluidly into a fantastic sampling of what almost could have been three games in one. Also, I still remain shocked that the graphics are comparable to some of the middle-road games today! A definite recommendation for someone who is looking for a daring action game.

For me, Armed and Dangerous contained a constant monotony, both in enemy units and in poor innovation regarding level design, that made the overall game a less-than-filling experience. The humor in all three games was evident but were drastically different in success; Citizen Kabuto pulled it off the best followed by A&D in second. MDK's potty humor and drab one-liners irratated me after the first level or two. Still, the game did have its moments if not rarely.

Now, I am on to Outcast followed by Lords of the Realm 3.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:10 AM   #223
gin soaked boy

Giants is definitely a more ambitious game, but in my opinion it failed to meld the different gameplay styles into a cohesive whole. I was pleasantly surprised by the gameplay variety offered by Armed & Dangerous. Apart form those turret missions which were all the same, the rest of the game offered enough subtle - and not so subtle - variation to keep the things interesting.

Also, the combat in Giants always seemed a little off to me. It just wasn't as visceral an in MDK and Armed & Dangerous and felt a bit too loose.

I'm not a huge fan of Planet Moon's humor, although I love the (chiefly British) sources they've obviously been drawing their inspiration from. I just think they're not as talented in that regard. That said, I enjoyed the humor in Armed & Dangerous the most, with Giants in the second place. To be honest, I don't remember much of humor from MDK, apart from some slapstick moments and things stemming from the art design, but maybe that's for the best.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:58 AM   #224

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

Psi-Ops - The Mindgate Conspiracy 9/10
Metal Gear Solid meets Jedi Knight in a game that is just pure fun.
The mix between stealth and magic powers (that you also must use to solve pussles) melts together perfectly. The story is cliché but have enough twists to feel important. Truly a forgotten gem.
Old 03-04-2007, 02:19 PM   #225
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. This is an odd one, to be sure. Even now that I've finished it, it's hard to see a "bigger picture" view of the game and what it was trying to do. That's not good. On the other hand, the game is made up of individual dungeons that are some of the most brilliant work the series has ever seen. And by "brilliant", I don't just mean "good", I mean brilliant. They use misdirection and humor and a shorthand for telling the player things and all sorts of other clever techniques. This game is playing on a level that, to the best of my knowledge, no game has since Ocarina of Time.

But on many other levels, this is no Ocarina of Time. It had so many good ideas, but didn't follow through and really develop any of them. It had a story that kept promising to go someplace interesting, but never did. It's confusing for new Zelda players. It doesn't reward exploration and presents many distractions that don't go anywhere interesting in themselves. And now that I've finished it, I don't feel like I've gone on a coherent game-length emotional journey, because it didn't really give me one. It just jumped from brilliant point A to brilliant point B to brilliant point C without any clear connection between them.

And yet, this game is inspiring. It's stuffed with great ideas. It's got game design which by any standards but Zelda's would be considered unsurpassed genius. It begins with a four-hour experiment which is fascinating to me in an academic sort of way, and it has a magnificent ending (which has nothing at all to do with that beginning), and in between there are an astonishing number of good and fun ideas well implemented and not any bad parts. This isn't, though I hoped it would be, the game which equals OoT. It didn't do a lot of things I'd hoped it would, and there's a lot of missed potential. But whenever it actually set out to do something, it did it so well and cleverly I was left in awe. So it would be unfair of me to give it any less than

5/5
Old 03-04-2007, 04:27 PM   #226
DoD

Just finished Dreamfall:TLJ and it makes me so happy that people who skipped credits at the end didn't get to see the final final cutscene

Anyways, liked the game, nice story, that's for sure but I realy missed the adventure parts where I need to solve something...

edit >> to insane cobra: haha, u prve dvije teme u koje sam htio nešto napisat, prvi post koji se pojavio, bio je tvoj.. pa ono.. hey!
Old 03-05-2007, 01:09 AM   #227
gin soaked boy

Howdy, pardner.
Dobrodošao na forum!

I caved in and ordered the Collector's Edition of Dreamfall today (been avoiding it because I didn't want to support StarForce-endorsing publishers). It's about time I played it.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:29 AM   #228

Just beat this, suckas.

Old 03-05-2007, 07:42 AM   #229
gin soaked boy

Ooooh, oodles of respect!
Old 03-05-2007, 07:49 AM   #230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putrid Moldyman View Post
Just beat this, suckas.
The Pixel Fu is strong with this one.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:28 AM   #231
Master of time and space

Dreamfall. Greaty story, but as a "game" it felt mediocre at best. If I wanted to solve puzzles I would've been disappointed, but since I was mainly interested in seeing the story unfold I say that this game was almost worth the €32 I had to pay for it and the ~10h spent playing. Still the game left too many loose ends for me to be at ease with it. The graphics was also lacking, I thought an XBOX had enough power to handle the simple engine (I'll assume it's simple since it didn't show me anything that should require anything more than what the XBOX offers.) Dreamfall provided. In the very least they could have used an anti aliasing algorithm.

All in all I give this: 7/10

*edit*
I was just about to get started on Dark corners of the earth and I get a message saying that DCOTE doesn't support my VGA-cable and is 50Hz ONLY!!!!
I just found this list. I'm glad Jade Empire and Fable does since I just won them on an auction...

Last edited by MdaG; 03-05-2007 at 12:19 PM.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:18 AM   #232
gin soaked boy

The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay. It really is one of the best first-person shooters/sneakers/action adventures/whatever out there and the amount of extras they put in the PC version is stunning. There are some small glitches here and there and it wouldn't hurt if it was a bit longer, but it's a great port of a great Xbox game.

I think I'll play it again in the commentary mode and then - Dreamfall.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:01 PM   #233

Jade Empire: Special Edition (9/10)
A must for all roleplayers. Wonderful story. Gold as everything else from Bioware.
Old 03-10-2007, 09:16 AM   #234

Cold Fear (7/10)
Average survival horror on a ship. Predictable. A few scares but nothing memorable.
Old 03-10-2007, 11:43 AM   #235
Coltrane

Conquest of the Longbow (9/10)
Currently reading: The Name of the Rose
Old 03-10-2007, 11:57 AM   #236
Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra View Post
The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay. It really is one of the best first-person shooters/sneakers/action adventures/whatever out there and the amount of extras they put in the PC version is stunning.
I couldn't agree more

On-topic: The last game I completed was XIII.

8-10

Cell shaded, feels like you're playing the graphic novel. Good story, good stealth, pretty good action. Overall a bucket of fun.

I could do without the 'boss battles'. I hate boss battles.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:18 AM   #237
Lazy Bee

Gabriel Knight Sins of the Fathers: 4.5/5

I loved the story and the degree of difficulty of puzzles were just as I want them.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:25 AM   #238

3 games finished during the weekend. Jade Empire, Cold Fear and Infernal

Infernal (7/10)
First person shooter about a fallen angel working for satan himself.

Pros:
* Stunning graphics
* Top level physics

Cons:
* Uninteresting/Nonexistant storyline that feels unimportant
* Uninspired linear maps
* Nothing new, no new gameplay elements
* Repetitive boring opponents
* Uninteresting characters, both bosses and friends lack proper presentation
* When I burn with hellfire, why am I hurt by flamethrowers?
* Headshots appear nonresponding
* The infernal powers are meaningless and barely used
* Most of the infernal powers are difficult to control
* Greatest puzzles is to figure out how to do something obvious but just finding how the developers intended you to do it
* If you are an atheist you will probably just find the concept silly
* Weapons are unbalanced. You end up using your favorite but that's about it.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:23 PM   #239
Master of time and space

Jade Empire. Good game, not as good as KOTOR, but good. I give it 7/10. Next, Fable - the lost chapters
Old 03-22-2007, 08:06 AM   #240

Fable: The Lost Chapters (9/10)
While Fable had a slow start, I fell in love with it once the story took off and got serious. It's obvious that the developers have spent a great amount of time developing the game. I did not feel it was a short game either (I did about everything that could be done in the game which took me over a week).