You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Game you're playing. How far you are.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2009, 02:45 PM   #1561
Stalker of Britain

Okay, okay, Andrea. lol

I do love when there are comments for evrything, especially when they're funny comments. I loved it in "The Longest Journey" when April would comment about everything, and this game seems to have it in abundance. And I'm not giving up on it! And it's not even like I dislike it, like I did Syberia. *shiver* Which I did give up on.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 09-15-2009, 03:07 PM   #1562

Going to start up Dead Space and see long I can last in that, I hear it's pretty hard cause it doesn't have a conventional UI HUD for a shooter-action/adventure game.

After that...Resident Evil 5 BABY!!!! YEA!!!!

@Intrepid Homoludens: LOL! You would think that would be a solution to one of the Riddler's puzzles, but, alas, it's not...just some backdrop decor. Gruesome isn't it? You probably don't want to cheat, but should you ever get stuck on the Riddler's challenge and want some extra help you can refer here:
http://www.gamesradar.com/f/batman-a...82614217603032 . Here's a hint: 35-40% of the trophies and chronicles of arkham you won't be able to get until you have the ultra batclaw after Croc's lair.

@AndreaDraco83: The first GK was a bit hokey and didn't receive the positive reception it should have if they had done some technical fine tuning. Still an all around solid game plot wise though and enjoyable at the end. The series gets significantly better with part 2 The Beast Within, the best title in the series bar none I thought. Part 3 was a huge letdown for me, a lot of people loved it but I thought it sucked balls. Just my opinion, don't let that deter you from playing it if you get the urge to do so.

@Gazzoid: I too had problems chaining moves together for high hitting freeflow combos until I discovered a little technique. Sure, you might be able to get 12 hits with nominal effort, but what about consistent 25+ hits? So let me give you some advice which really helped me when I figured it out.

The controls for the combat are decent, but they lack cohesion and need technical tuning. Comboing is much easier on the console (due mainly to the analog sticks) and the flaws in the combat mechanics suffered by the PC version aren't present on the console. I first figured this out when trying to implement counters into my combos.

Batman has an unpredictable and questionable range in his hit detection system. There will be times when you're unleashing moves in your combo trying to build momentum when a thug will come up behind you or to your side to hit you. If that thug isn't within the vicinity of the hit detection the A.I. recognizes and you go for the counter, but miss it will completely disrupt the flow of your combo and you will have to start all over. Then there will be the times that the enemy is somehow out of range for you to counter but still close enough to hit you and break your momentum. Finally, since you will be pressing buttons fast the command input has a limited sensitivity and there will be more than occasion you will hit the counter button and just not get credit for it because the A.I. simply didn't recognize the input.

Here are the best methods I've found to compensate for the flawed combat system:

(1) Don't go for every counter. Countering should only be done on a needed basis to keep the momentum of the combos going. On top of aforementioned combat system flaws there's also the issue that Batman randomizes his attacks and some counters, if successful, have a long sequence of moves that it will still disrupt the freeflow combo even if you land them simply because Batman wasn't keeping the flow of attacks going fast enough to keep the chain active. Just because an enemy comes up and tries to attack you and you can counter doesn't always mean you should. More often than not as Batman is seamlessly moving from target to target when an enemy comes up and tries to hit you Batman will move away from the incoming blow as he proceeds to his next target. Use this to your advantage.
(2) Visually compensate for the A.I.'s limited depth perception. You have to remember the A.I. and the game engine's renderer doesn't see the complex 3D world you do. Internally they only see programmed X, Y, and Z axis vertices for game objects and entities so the depth perception is misleading. I had a couple of instances where the enemy looked close enough to counter and they simply weren't and vice versa. Don't rely completely on the game's hit detection system so you need to be on top of your game and judge the distance between enemy targets yourself.
(3) Manipulate and use the camera angles to your advantage. I was having a hard time getting those hit combos when I rotated the mouse and discovered a nifty trick. Batman is going to move in the direction of his hit detection wherever the camera is facing and thus I learned I could choose the targets I wanted Batman to attack next by rotating the camera in the direction to face head on the enemy I wanted him to target next. This was also the time I figured out I could avoid unnecessary counter situations simply by moving the camera to a target away from the incoming blow or, alternatively, rotating the camera to face head on the thug who is about to attack. You know that sequence where you break into Arkham Mansion and there's that large group of thugs below you looking for Dr. Young's research notes? I took on that whole group in one seamless 50+ hit freeflow combo only using the described camera trick, LMB to attack, and RMB for the occasional quick counter in the situations where the enemy was too close and about to hit me before I finished attacking my current target before I could move on to the next. Never once did I press the movement or action keys.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:49 PM   #1563
In an evening of July...

Playing Resident Evil 5. Hells yeah, zombies on motorcycles! Just arrived at some village that's presumably filled with infected African folk I get to shoot. This game is actually more fun than I imagined, love the lack of horror, wouldn't be playing it otherwise.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:12 PM   #1564
merely human

Wet. Just started it.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-15-2009, 06:35 PM   #1565
Junior Mint

Tomb Raider Anniversary. I just finished the Lost Valley. The camera is so bad, it makes me nauseous, and I can't play for more than an hour or so. The game looks amazing, though, and I like how they re-did the combat system -- it's almost like what TR Legend has, but slightly better.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:18 AM   #1566
delusions of adequacy

Painkiller's next on my playlist. GOG have another $2 off at the moment, bringing this down to $8 for what many consider the spiritual sequel to Quake. Pure shooter fun.

Speaking of bargains Direct2drive have a shirtload of games going for $5 now, If I didn't hate direct2drive's region locking/pricing and drm policies so much I might indulge... still so tempting.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:19 AM   #1567
merely human

Batman: A.A.

Destroy the Titan Production Facility in the Botanical Gardens. Apprehend Harley Quinn.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-17-2009, 03:06 AM   #1568
The Quiet One

Again... Batman: Arkham Asylum

I just have one more Combat Challenge map to beat and then that's it... I'll have all the achievements and everything done.

Grand Theft Auto IV: The Lost and Damned

Slow progress, as I'm taking my time and trying to get the full 100% completion. I'm just about to tackle Tom Stubbs' first mission - killing his uncle at the airport and making it look like a terrorist act.

The cutscene to this mission, featuring a nude Tom Stubbs, is bloody funny. Only Rockstar...

Grim Fandango

I need to make Glottis better again by creating a rocket train cart.

Half-Life 2

I'm just about to set off on a loooong trip to Nova Prospekt using the buggy.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 09-17-2009, 10:55 AM   #1569
In an evening of July...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzoid View Post
Half-Life 2

I'm just about to set off on a loooong trip to Nova Prospekt using the buggy.
I hated that part, that's where I quit.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:19 AM   #1570
delusions of adequacy

The buggy's handling was sluggish. Its not really that long of a sequence though, it was arbitrarily increased by the always having to stop at poorly executed roadblocks. The car from episode 2 is a lot more fun to drive. I enjoyed the sound of the engine on that far too much and it never got dull running down those bastards that cut up Alex.

I've just got my feet wet in Painkiller. It really is a blast from the past in terms of gameplay. I need to find cheats to up the number of monsters though, my heart gets going and the music is deafening me and then I run out of bad guys far too soon.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:36 AM   #1571
Stalker of Britain

I'm playing "Daemonica". I'm not that far into it or the story, but it seems okay so far. I'm hoping I'll love the story. I hate the camera angles, though. I try to walk up to the table in his basement, and the camera angle won't let me see the stuff on the table!
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 09-18-2009, 10:27 AM   #1572
Lazy Bee

I'm playing Nibiru. *yawns* I've just left the tunnel and so far that was the best part of the game. I don't think I'll remember much of this game in a month or two.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:09 PM   #1573
Stalker of Britain

Well, I thought I'd try out the free 1st episode of "Tales of Monkey Island", and I was right when I thought I wouldn't like it.

First the camera was dipping everywhere, a very effective atmosphere and hard to navigate. When walking, which with the mouse looks bad, the camera swings around to places I don't want it to go. Then the actual story, I've never been much into comedy (unless it's dry like in "The Longest Journey"), and so it was in this game. I guess the idea of the story is cool, but it's just not for me. Maybe I'll try some more of it.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:24 PM   #1574
Junior Mint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
Well, I thought I'd try out the free 1st episode of "Tales of Monkey Island", and I was right when I thought I wouldn't like it.

First the camera was dipping everywhere, a very effective atmosphere and hard to navigate. When walking, which with the mouse looks bad, the camera swings around to places I don't want it to go. Then the actual story, I've never been much into comedy (unless it's dry like in "The Longest Journey"), and so it was in this game. I guess the idea of the story is cool, but it's just not for me. Maybe I'll try some more of it.
I suspect it won't be my thing either. I thought Secret of Monkey Island was overrated... I can see how it would be pretty awesome for its time, but it's nowhere near one of the best ever. Also, I'm with you, in that I'd rather play a realistic, dry, or sarcastic game than a goofy or cartoony game.
Old 09-20-2009, 06:49 AM   #1575

halfway through Chapter 2 of EVERLIGHT at the moment.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:54 AM   #1576
delusions of adequacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra View Post
Entered Demonis in King's Bounty: The Legend. What an amazing, absorbing experience!
I Love KB. The expansion Armoured Princess (which requires KB) is due for english release at the end of October.

I have the steam version though so I may have to wait for a steam release, that is if they even do secure one.

I just picked up playing this again after a break, I just wanted to refresh my memory of last play and the next thing birds are singing outside my window and the sun is nearly rising! #$%^!
Old 09-21-2009, 05:39 AM   #1577

I'm playing Divine Divinity for the first time. I finished the catacombs and am heading south to the barracks. Unfortunately, I came across a cave with a troll king. I thought for sure I could take this guy and get his gold, but then 20 of his friends showed up. I guess I'll skip this cave for the time being. But I'll be back...
Old 09-22-2009, 05:41 PM   #1578
Stalker of Britain

So, I'm on Day 2 of "Daemonica". It's not as interesting as I thought it would be. I'm actually quite bored with it, running around the map is overly hard, and the story just isn't gripping me.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:05 PM   #1579

Finished "Dreamfall". Now I can get back to Sam & Max Season 2. I'm at Santa's house, just got the record from his room.

Just finished:Jurassic Park, Mata Hari
Playing now:Assassin's Creed 2, So Blonde
To be continued:Final Fantasy 13
Old 09-22-2009, 11:33 PM   #1580
merely human

Batman: Arkham Asylum. Story mode campaign Done.

Splinter Cell: Double Agent. Story mode campaign Done.