You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Game you're playing. How far you are.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2008, 05:45 PM   #1241

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
Why didn't you go for BC??!! *shock gasp horror* lol
Probably money issues and fears it won't work on XP. That's the usual reason. But this game does indeed sound fab. I'm eyeing up copies again now. Here's hoping I can get a cheap copy of just the game in jewel case.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:37 PM   #1242
Stalker of Britain

I understand. It is pretty expensive the places I look, and that's why I can't play "Gabriel Knight" or "Dark Eye", because they are so darn expensive. I have XP, and although it would freeze through about 3 cut scenes, I let it think about it, and after a semi-long wait, the sequence contined. Other than that, was fine on XP.

I'd highly recommend it!! It's so scary what really happened in asylums!
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 08-03-2008, 06:05 PM   #1243
Random

Well, i'm playing syberia now. I've found 3 important items to travel in the train but something is missing. I never finished an adventure game without ask for hint i'll try to don't ask for any in syberia...

Playing: Alan Wake
Last Finished: Black Mirror 2 (4/5)
Favorite: Grim Fandango, The Lost Crown, Twinsen's Odyssey, Metal Gear Solid series, Outcast, Syberia I & II.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:30 PM   #1244
Stalker of Britain

Denaron- How are you liking Syberia?

I'm in the middle (or really, beginning), of Post Mortem. I like the plot, characters, graphics, and everything. But without being able to skip through dialogue, I keep thinking I'm saying the wrong stuff that is going to hurt me, and it's about ready to have me pulling out my prematuraly grey hair, throwing my hands in the air in frustration, giving up and going to play "The Lost Crown" for the 2nd time.
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 08-04-2008, 08:35 AM   #1245

When you say 'hurt' you, what do you mean? That you're character's going to be punished ie you die?

That is not the case if that's what you fear. Events will be different depending on your decisions, but that's about it.

For instance, on my first playthrough, I met up with my employer a number of times in a restaurant. On the second playthrough, I think I only met her there once at a key scene.

It certainly adds to replay value. There are at least 2 endings, if not three, but that will all depend on the information you have at the end, all of which I think can be gathered at any given time.

A flawed yet very entertaining game.

Quote:
I'd highly recommend it!! It's so scary what really happened in asylums!
Now I really do want the game. Would you say you need to have read the books to find the game that accessable? I'm currently watching a copy on ebay.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:46 AM   #1246
Stalker of Britain

I didn't mean "die", I just mean that the people get pissed, so you have to find another way to get information. It seems like you get more info if you say you're a private detective, and yet Ms. Blake said not to let them know you're involved. *frustrated sigh*

You don't have to read the books to enjoy/understand the game, but it will make a LOT more sense if you do read the books! I'd recommend the books, too, because they're some of my favorites.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:08 PM   #1247
Random

Quote:
Denaron- How are you liking Syberia?
Well, i'm liking syberia pretty much. I cannot tell something deeper about the game cause i have only 4-5 hours of gameplay considering the fact that i got stuck at some parts, about 30-60 mins. But im having fun, something is saying to me that historyline will begin after the train trip, hehehe.

Playing: Alan Wake
Last Finished: Black Mirror 2 (4/5)
Favorite: Grim Fandango, The Lost Crown, Twinsen's Odyssey, Metal Gear Solid series, Outcast, Syberia I & II.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:43 PM   #1248
Stalker of Britain

There's a historical part of the game?!
Old 08-08-2008, 11:27 AM   #1249

Send a message via AIM to Rayvielle Send a message via MSN to Rayvielle

Currently playing Bioshock. Am on Neptunes Bounty at the moment and just dealt with all 3 Big Daddies on the level, and rescued the 3 little sisters. Had to be done.

Honestly? I find it more challenging than I expected (which is a good thing), but dare I say, I'm feeling ever so slightly disappointed. These aren't my finalised feelings by any stretch as I'm at the early stages of the game, but right now, I'm not as floored as I thought I would be by Bioshock. I'm interested to see how the story and the game itself progress. I must say, I find Rapture to be quite an elaborate and detailed World and the ability to hack machines, turrets and give myself new upgrades, (giving that awesome Deus Ex feel) never grows tiresome.

I would say I'm currently very neutral on Bioshock, still undecided about whether I love it or whether I don't. But there is a lot more to come and I'm sure to let you know once I reached the climax.

Interesting to see what you guys are playing and how you're finding your time with the game.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:33 PM   #1250
Master of time and space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayvielle View Post
Currently playing Bioshock. Am on Neptunes Bounty at the moment and just dealt with all 3 Big Daddies on the level, and rescued the 3 little sisters. Had to be done.

Honestly? I find it more challenging than I expected (which is a good thing), but dare I say, I'm feeling ever so slightly disappointed. These aren't my finalised feelings by any stretch as I'm at the early stages of the game, but right now, I'm not as floored as I thought I would be by Bioshock. I'm interested to see how the story and the game itself progress. I must say, I find Rapture to be quite an elaborate and detailed World and the ability to hack machines, turrets and give myself new upgrades, (giving that awesome Deus Ex feel) never grows tiresome.

I would say I'm currently very neutral on Bioshock, still undecided about whether I love it or whether I don't. But there is a lot more to come and I'm sure to let you know once I reached the climax.

Interesting to see what you guys are playing and how you're finding your time with the game.
I was also a bit disappointed by the game. Sure it's a good game, but my expectations were set far higher. It's a 7 out of 10 in my book.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:29 PM   #1251
The Quiet One

I love Bioshock. It's one of my favourite games on the 360. Actually, i'd say it belongs in my 'Top 10 Favourite Games' list somewhere. I didn't really know what to expect before i tried the demo on PC. I'd read loads of very positive reviews on the net and thought i'd try it. I found the first section of the game, in the demo, very interesting. Got it for the 360 and just couldn't stop playing. I was addicted. Sucked into it, and not many games nowadays can do that.

IMO the story gets much better and more interesting later on.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 08-12-2008, 10:00 AM   #1252

Just booted up 'Planescape: Torment' yesterday, and I've so far put only about a couple of hours into it. It's a game I've tried to play before but never really given enough patience to it, however after seeing a few posts about the game on here I'd decided to give it another crack. And I must say, I'm reaaally enjoying it Especially since I'm not a huge RPG gamer.

I've been working at Jack Keane too for about a month, and to be honest my interest has wained a little in it. I'm finding the puzzles pretty easy and a little bit too straight forward for my liking. And the main character just seems hopeless, and not in a 'Threepwood' kind of way - but instead, in a really bloody annoying way! I think I'll have a look at completing it soon though just to say I've played it through.

And I really need to get The Longest Journey started again - I was about half way through the game last time when I had to bloody reboot the computer. D'oh!
Old 08-12-2008, 10:27 AM   #1253

It's funny you should say that, I've just started playing it after buying it a number of times and then suddenly not getting round to playing it and selling it off.

As soon as I got it through the post I unsealed the new copy, installed and played.

It's certainly different. It reminds me of Sanitarium but on a larger scale. I like the idea you can play the game without resorting to violence if you want. On the one hand I love how you can keep going back and fourth between characters and keep bring up new conversations. On the other hand, it does get slightly annoying spending so long in the Mortery area and I can understand what you mean about patience.

It doesn't always do a good job of explaining where you are. They kept mentioning 1st floor, etc, but I didn't know which was first floor (here in England you get ground floor then first floor whilst this is obviously the American way).

They kept mentioning the front Gate also but I only knew where it was after speaking to the right person (out of chance). I've now just got to the Hive and I'll play it a more tomorrow.

Good dialog in it though. The conversations with the spirit on the grou--first floor sent chills up my spine.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:42 AM   #1254

Oh yeah, I so totally agree that the game is very reminiscent of a 'larger scale Sanitarium'. That was one of the first thoughts I had when booting up the game.

I think the fact that the game isn't hugely focused on combat is the main draw in factor for me. I've tried to play numerous RPGs in the past but I've never really stuck to them - mainly for the simple fact that I'm not a huge combat nut. (I'm the Gandhi of the gaming world per se)

But yeah, I'm going to try really hard and stick with this game. The story seems absolutely brilliant and I'm a sucker for anything post-Apocalyptic looking. Which reminds me, I really oughta give Fallout another go too.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:10 AM   #1255

Some of your posts really echo my recent actions. I ordered Planescape after I read on Wikpedia its possible to play the game with only having to fight as little as 4 battles depending on your choice.

I too also recently played Fallout, but dropped it as there appeared to be endless [ney, pointless] fighting.

I don't mind battles in RPGs to a point, but I'm not very familier of westery RPG territory and for some reason it just doesn't feel as involving as the battles in some of the JRPGs I've played.

The dialog was far from poetry either IMO. This is one of those games where I'm not quite sure why it has such a major, fanatical following.

I'm also still waiting for Blood Omen: Legecy of Kain to come through the post and I'll consider Diablo after that. My quest for enjoyable Western RPGs continues.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:40 PM   #1256
MoP
Comfortably Numb

I remember finishing both Fallouts without fighting at all (some running though). Actually, maybe it's time for another playthrough.

I'm currently finishing Blood Omen, and as much as I enjoy the story, atmosphere and Kain (great monologues/voice acting), the combat is pretty tedious.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:09 PM   #1257
Adventure Game Researcher

Syberia is wonderful there is a lot of history and pathos in it, you will love it as you progress...some awesome things coming up. I am done with Mass Effect, that took some serious focus...amazing effects...basic RPG format of Jade Empire and KOTR pretty much the same but the dialog and scenes and character modelling superb and huge sets are great. Working on Tomb Raider IV, and AOD both relatively unsung masterpieces....continuing a 2 yr play thru of Oblivion, replaying some LucasArts classics for fun...mmm Gothic III progressing slowly.

Game Research and History
http://3dworldandgamedevelopers.blogspot.com
Game Patches and Aides
http://www.filefront.com/user/CrisGer
Patch and Fix Packs
Old 08-16-2008, 05:33 AM   #1258

I started playing Indiana Jones Lego, wasnt enjoying it but hate wasting money on games so I just kept playing it, now I am beginning to enjoy it. Not very far into it only just finished the first part.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:20 PM   #1259
Lazy Bee

I've just finished the fourth chapter of Faust Seven Games of the Soul. I like the way I explore the lives of different characters without even meeting them, just searching their homes. It's an interesting story and I really like the idea of this game, I've never seen anything like it before.
I also like the puzzles, but I've had to use hints on several occasions since there seems to be a mix up between the examine and action cursors at times.

The thing that impresses me the most though is the music. Sarah Vaughn, Nat King Cole and Stan Getz. I'm blown away!
Old 08-17-2008, 07:23 AM   #1260

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

After hearing positive comments (and read it's enormously positive reviews) on Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem I decided to finally give the game a try. I have had it since I bought my GameCube about a year ago.

Having played half-through the fourth character though, I just couldn't handle the game anymore. I just cannot see what's supposed to be so special about it.

IGN put it "The game grabs hold of players and doesn't let go, captivating with its brilliantly crafted storyline, its mesmerizing visuals and scenery, its character development and more. These details are only equaled by the title's polished controls, combat system and beautifully conceived magick system, which will bait and hook gamers beyond anything else."

Well, half way through the fourth character the story so far is neither captivating nor intriguing. The levels are short of story and I seem to not be able to stay long enough with a character to start to like them. There's barely no introduction to them either. After a short cutscene you start trapped in a nameless dungeon somewhere and after that point there's just combat & puzzles.

The visuals looks like crap compared to Resident Evil Zero that was released the same year (they say it was developed for N64 and it shows). The controls are among the worst I experienced in a survival horror game (RE4 on PC doesn't count) and the aiming system doesnt really improve it. In fact, every time I got something else than a 1-handed sword, problems begun. The times I tried (or was forced to use) a two-edged sword, a blowgun or two swords, I started to take damage at a rapid pace since it's difficult to get in reach and chop off the head. Finally the "magick system" feels quite meaningless.

This is coming from someone who is a horror fan and just love H.P. Lovecraft and played the Call of Cthulhu roleplaying game quite a bit.