You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Game you're playing. How far you are.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2008, 03:18 AM   #1141
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdaG View Post
Made it through Ravenholm and on my way through the highway chapter. The story so far is on par with Gears of War. I don't understand what I'm fighting or why. The monsters and soldiers attack both me and each others. I'm assuming the monsters are the Combine and the soldiers the civil guard, but then they should be allies!?

To piece together this sorry excuse of a story I went and read this since it's obvious to me by now that I've missed something or the story got lost somewhere around alpha and gold.

Where the hell is all that information!? I've played Half-Life, Opposing forces and more than half of Half-Life 2 and I can't piece together all that the linked site contains.
I don't know, the story was pretty obvious to me and I loved the fact that it was presented in a totally unobtrusive manner. Pay attention to little details in the world, like newspaper clips on the walls, and you should be able to piece it together on your own.

By the way, if you've just gotten past Ravenholm, you're nowhere near the half of the game. It's a long one.

I'm playing Freelancer at the moment. I was really hungry for an Elite type of game and the basics are fine, but there's an awful lot of repetition and unnecessary waste of time. The mouse and keyboard controls work well, but playing it with a proper joystick would be much more enjoyable.

Last edited by insane_cobra; 02-20-2008 at 03:28 AM.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:19 PM   #1142
Master of time and space

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra View Post
I don't know, the story was pretty obvious to me and I loved the fact that it was presented in a totally unobtrusive manner. Pay attention to little details in the world, like newspaper clips on the walls, and you should be able to piece it together on your own.

By the way, if you've just gotten past Ravenholm, you're nowhere near the half of the game. It's a long one.

I'm playing Freelancer at the moment. I was really hungry for an Elite type of game and the basics are fine, but there's an awful lot of repetition and unnecessary waste of time. The mouse and keyboard controls work well, but playing it with a proper joystick would be much more enjoyable.
Obvious? I must've forgotten what happened in the first game. I recall performing some experiment and then all kinds of monsters invaded. I can not remember them being in any organised form. Just monsters that kept attacking. The Combine was nowhere to be seen or heard as far as I can remember. It's in the second game that I hear that humanity has succumbed to these so called Combine, but I don't think I've met any of them yet. Also, why is it that these head crabs only attack people in white lab coats ?

Anyway, battling stryders now. Just destroyed a fourth and seeing a fifth climbing into the plaza...
Old 02-27-2008, 06:15 PM   #1143
delusions of adequacy

I'm giving the Witcher a go, and enjoying it. Visually its a wonder, I soon got used to the camera and running about everywhere is a joy. Everywhere is just gorgeous.

I wish they ramped up the potion taking effects over and above increasing damage output and resistance thresholds. About halfway through the game you get a recipe for 'seeing invisible creatures' which is irrelevant to the story (invisible creatures cut) but the visual effect when you take it is 'serious business'. I love the toxicity mechanic balancing out the overly ambitious alchemist.

Building combos with your swords is good fun, with character development actually improving the animation (new moves the longer you combo). The journal, quest, maps and glossary are also a huge stride forward for crpgs.
You just can't get lost or stuck. Some may find it a bit too much handholding but you don't have to use it so its still fucking awesome.

The only real weak points are the random crashing (memory errors?) that tends to occur after long play when making area transitions, mostly. And long term character interaction. The characters you meet once and move on are great but those few you interact with over a longer period need serious work because they really break immersion with their terrible casual dialogue, or rather the lack of it (translation issue?).

Version 1.2 is very playable, but I'm even more keen to play the upcoming improved edition (with toolset!), hopefully on a new machine so I can play on maximum graphics settings. Medium is still as I've said already a visual wonder. Puts nwn2 to shame.

Edit: Just have to add, the music is also brilliant - mood setting stuff everywhere and a bit of guitar rock (ala diablo 2) during intense battles.

Last edited by Crunchy in milk; 02-27-2008 at 06:22 PM.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:52 AM   #1144
DAVE

Quote:
Obvious? I must've forgotten what happened in the first game. I recall performing some experiment and then all kinds of monsters invaded. I can not remember them being in any organised form. Just monsters that kept attacking. The Combine was nowhere to be seen or heard as far as I can remember. It's in the second game that I hear that humanity has succumbed to these so called Combine, but I don't think I've met any of them yet. Also, why is it that these head crabs only attack people in white lab coats ?

Anyway, battling stryders now. Just destroyed a fourth and seeing a fifth climbing into the plaza...
The Combine are all soldiers and civil guards you see. The rest are usually monsters from Xen and machines from the Combine. It's actually explained throughout the game.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:07 AM   #1145
Master of time and space

Half Life 2 - Episode 1
Trying to get through the game on hard using nothing other than the gravity gun (X360 achievement). Some parts of the game gets really hard having to rely on debris to take out the enemies

Quote:
The Combine are all soldiers and civil guards you see. The rest are usually monsters from Xen and machines from the Combine. It's actually explained throughout the game.
Hmm I thought the soldiers were humans who'd joined Breen? I thought the Combine were those Hutt-like beings occasionally seen on screens throughout the game. Anyway, you're not the first pointing out that everything is explained throughout the game. I just need to pay attention I guess :-/
Old 03-03-2008, 06:01 AM   #1146
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Half Life 2 - Episode 1
Trying to get through the game on hard using nothing other than the gravity gun (X360 achievement). Some parts of the game gets really hard having to rely on debris to take out the enemies
The elevator sequence *shudders*
Old 03-04-2008, 07:04 AM   #1147

Runaway, chapter 3 - I'm in the desert trying to find a way out and a way to save Gina from the gangsters
Old 03-04-2008, 12:04 PM   #1148
Master of time and space

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra View Post
The elevator sequence *shudders*
Hehe, yeah that was a challenging scene having to rely on barrels and debris. Though nowhere near as trying to hang on that garden gnome throughout the episode 2. I gave up when I had to outrun the Guardian down in the ant lion nest.

Anyway.

Half-Life 2 - Episode 2
Just found an Advisor in a barn followed by an attack by the Combine. Currently in a car trying to outrun a chopper firing away at mine and Alyx' ass.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:35 PM   #1149
JKR

Professor Layton and the Curious Village for the DS.

It is AMAZING. If you like puzzles, BUY THIS GAME RIGHT THIS SECOND.

I don't know how far I am, maybe halfway? Maybe a little more than half. I'm glad they have downloadable puzzles too, that extends the game even more.

This is one of the best games on any system in recent years. I sure hope they bring the sequel over from Japan!
Old 03-06-2008, 03:19 PM   #1150
Evil Incarnate

i haff twelve metchsteek, hehehe, comedy gold.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:12 AM   #1151
Master of time and space

Resident Evil on the GameCube
I haven't played it much yet. Playing as Jill on easy and just found a map of 1F. So far I find this game better than Resident Evil 4 due to the extremely well done atmosphere and setting. I have far more respect for the zombies in this game than in the ones in RE4. Why? Since these zombies are dangerous and not littered throughout the gaming area (not so far anyway). There are two downsides however:

1. controls. Why oh why did Capcom have to make them suck so much?! It feels like I'm piloting a battle mech...

2. Item management. I need to store objects in chests as Jill can't pick up more than eight objects at the same time. These chests are somehow linked through space and I can access the objects stored in one chest through another...

Last edited by MdaG; 03-09-2008 at 08:01 AM.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:04 AM   #1152
Psychonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKR View Post
Professor Layton and the Curious Village for the DS.

It is AMAZING. If you like puzzles, BUY THIS GAME RIGHT THIS SECOND.

I don't know how far I am, maybe halfway? Maybe a little more than half. I'm glad they have downloadable puzzles too, that extends the game even more.

This is one of the best games on any system in recent years. I sure hope they bring the sequel over from Japan!
Totally agree.

It is brilliantly addictive.

Currently Playing:

As well as Professor Layton on the DS and Sam and Max on the PC.

Lost Odyssey

An RPG on the 360 from the creator of Final Fantasy.

I'm in the Ghost Town just outside the City of Numara

Characters are Level 18, have defeated a few awkward boss battles and hoards of random battles.

Loving the storyline at the moment, the world is reminiscinet of an old FF game (Maybe 8 or 9), the graphics are superb, the battles are challenging and fun.

Overall loving the game.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:10 AM   #1153

Currently playing The Awakened. Not very far, though; I've reached the warehouse at the docks and managed to enter it. Had to stop there for a while because for the first time ever I experienced something like motion sickness while playing *argh* The speed is, I think, quite normal - not too fast, not too slow; in fact, it's a little like playing a FPS. It's not that I'm not used to first person perspective; I am. But this time i'ts different and I just can't put my finger on it. The game just makes me feel sick and, above all, gives me headaches which is a real shame because it seems to be a good game and I do want to continue playing it. Any helpful hints as how to tackle this motion sickness or whatever it is?
Old 03-10-2008, 03:36 PM   #1154
Citizen of Bizarro World

In Warcraft III, I'm in the 2nd campaign, mission 8. Keeping the wizards away while the lich summons some crazy ass dude.
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 03-11-2008, 08:51 AM   #1155

Fable, just killed Twinblade and met my eyeless sister. Then saved an archaeologist from Witchwood. Currently just fist fighting around the night fights and working on physique.

The Longest Journey, I've entered through the portal and I'm now in Arcadia. Spoke to a man on the pier about getting his bird back, hmm..
Old 03-12-2008, 11:38 AM   #1156
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I've joined the ranks of the Audiosurf players. Just tried a whole load of weird stuff. The Infogrames corporate theme song, anyone?

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 03-14-2008, 03:09 PM   #1157
Master of time and space

Quote:
Resident Evil on the GameCube
I haven't played it much yet. Playing as Jill on easy and just found a map of 1F. So far I find this game better than Resident Evil 4 due to the extremely well done atmosphere and setting. I have far more respect for the zombies in this game than in the ones in RE4. Why? Since these zombies are dangerous and not littered throughout the gaming area (not so far anyway). There are two downsides however:

1. controls. Why oh why did Capcom have to make them suck so much?! It feels like I'm piloting a battle mech...

2. Item management. I need to store objects in chests as Jill can't pick up more than eight objects at the same time. These chests are somehow linked through space and I can access the objects stored in one chest through another...
Just got back to the mansion (after a detour at some research residence) only to be decapitated by some beast which make even those creepy crimson heads look sweet...

This is probably the most beautiful game (graphically) I've seen last generation with maybe the exception of Okami. It's incredible what they've done with 480p. It looks great even on my 37" HDTV.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:19 PM   #1158

Gooka: The Mystery of Janatris. Not very far yet, just started the game
Old 03-17-2008, 04:09 PM   #1159
In an evening of July...

Kane & Lynch: Dead Men

Oh shock: I'm actually enjoying it. The gameplay is simple, and although buggy, quite satisfying. But the actual fun factor is the story and the characters: mad Lynch who periodically goes berserk and Kane, who is, well, also pretty mad, but cold and calculating. Their dialogues are great and full of strong language, their motives clear and convincing.

I'm currenty trying to eliminate The7 in some hostile country, with tanks and bullets everywhere, not the best location so far. The prison outbreak slaughter, prison break-in slaughter, bank robbery hostile slaughter and a bloody slaughter at a Japanese disco were far more enjoyable.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:21 PM   #1160
In an evening of July...

Also, World in Conflict

I can't believe this game is getting so much praise while Ground Control 2 was basically a flop. Both games are exactly the same, only with a different setting (WW2.5 vs alien.. future.. something). Oh wait, there are a few other things unigue to WiC like a strong(er) story and a more fast-paced gameplay, with lots of timed missions and nuclear bombs...

...one of which I just witnessed for the first time in the game whilst clearing a village and trapping the Ivans on a small isle. Big bada boom.