You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Game you're playing. How far you are.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2008, 07:59 AM   #1081
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terramax View Post
Alas, if you don't like 'kiddie' looking games, then you won't like this. It's not childish in a patronising way, but I don't think you'll be convinced if all you play are 'mature' titles.
In a world where the cleavage of The Witcher, the demons of Doom and the close-ups of murder victimcs in Still Life are considered mature by the same people pointing fingers at Zelda, Viva Pinata or Rayman for being "a bit childish" I can't help but grin. We can only hope we'll never grow up, for this is the only way one can appreciate some of the most awesome games out there it seems. Only saw Wind Waker being played once but I fell in love with that game just by watching.

I'm deep in the dizzingly addictive Battle For Wesnoth still. Stuck in the Swamps Of Esden (Rise Of Wesnoth official campaign) and haven't managed to handle three(!) opponents at once. This is pretty hard. And according to the forums it's the fourth scenario out of twenty-one. I feel kind of n00bish. Hold me tight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey View Post
Unreal Tournament III
I suck, but this version of UT feels good. Shame that there aren't a lot of people playing it (relatively).

That might be because there aren't a lot of people who actually bought it (not so relatively).

Last edited by samIamsad; 01-12-2008 at 08:06 AM.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:07 AM   #1082

Well, Crysis has received a lot of critisism for being buggy up the anus.

Don't know if that's the same with UT3, but the long time development caused me to drop interest.

Besides, I think people are starting to reject FPSs going through the same game patterns and visual style.

I like to think Bioshock has been more successful for going against the norm.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:34 PM   #1083
Lovable rogue

Metroid Prime 3

I'm fighting Mogenar, and it's seriously annoying. What kind of idiotic idea was it to make your health energy the same as the energy used for a weapon that's needed in the majority of fights, and then make that very weapon overload after a few seconds forcing you to either vent all energy and seriously lower your health, or just die? I can destroy three of his generators, but after that my energy is so low there's no chance to even go for the forth before he kills me.

I'm not overly impressed with this game at all so far. Parts of it are fun, but those bits are few and far between. The game is so unbalanced; there are no long stretches of regular gameplay, just when you've defeated a boss and think you can relax for a bit, a few minutes later it throws another one at you. I know not of one person who likes boss fights or timed sequences, yet this game has packed in 3 of the former and umpteen of the latter into a single location.

Ugh, it's painful, still I play on...

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 01-12-2008, 03:13 PM   #1084
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Stalker is my game, even after almost one year.

I'm still playing it althoufh my last save is from the end of June 2006.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:37 AM   #1085
Master of time and space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jat316sob View Post
Metroid Prime 3

I'm fighting Mogenar, and it's seriously annoying. What kind of idiotic idea was it to make your health energy the same as the energy used for a weapon that's needed in the majority of fights, and then make that very weapon overload after a few seconds forcing you to either vent all energy and seriously lower your health, or just die? I can destroy three of his generators, but after that my energy is so low there's no chance to even go for the forth before he kills me.

I'm not overly impressed with this game at all so far. Parts of it are fun, but those bits are few and far between. The game is so unbalanced; there are no long stretches of regular gameplay, just when you've defeated a boss and think you can relax for a bit, a few minutes later it throws another one at you. I know not of one person who likes boss fights or timed sequences, yet this game has packed in 3 of the former and umpteen of the latter into a single location.

Ugh, it's painful, still I play on...
I'm thinking of getting it. How does it compare to Metroid Prime 1 & 2? The only thing I didn't like in those games were the controls. Metroid Prime 3 is said to solve that with the Wii controls.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:49 AM   #1086

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad View Post
In a world where the cleavage of The Witcher, the demons of Doom and the close-ups of murder victimcs in Still Life are considered mature by the same people pointing fingers at Zelda, Viva Pinata or Rayman for being "a bit childish" I can't help but grin. We can only hope we'll never grow up, for this is the only way one can appreciate some of the most awesome games out there it seems. Only saw Wind Waker being played once but I fell in love with that game just by watching.
I put the 'kiddie' in quotation marks as it's not my personal perception. I'm a firm believer Zelda is more mature than GTA in terms of morality.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:28 AM   #1087
Lovable rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdaG View Post
I'm thinking of getting it. How does it compare to Metroid Prime 1 & 2? The only thing I didn't like in those games were the controls. Metroid Prime 3 is said to solve that with the Wii controls.
I can't really help with the first issue, as I've never played Metroid Prime 1 or 2.

As for the controls, I think they work well, I love playing FPS games using the Wii remote, it's so much better than trying to aim at something using an analogue stick.

The grappling hook can be a touch temperamental at times, you have to flick the nunchuck forward to throw it, then flick the nunchuck back towards you to pull the object you've grappled. If you're doing this to pull the armour off a boss in the middle of a heated battle, chances are you won't do the motion exactly how the game wants you to, and it won't perform the action, so you end up sitting there moving your arm around as though you're trying to start an invisible lawn mower, as you frantically try to perform the action within the small window of time permitted for it.

There are a few nice touches, to operate some switches you have to point the remote at the screen, press A, then you pull the remote towards you, rotate your wrist by 90 degrees to the left, and push the remote back towards the screen. As you do this you see Samus's hand grab the switch, and mirror your actions to unlock it.

UPDATE:
I just defeated Morgenar, woo, I feel much better now, hehe.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Last edited by Jatsie; 01-13-2008 at 08:02 AM.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:05 PM   #1088
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdaG View Post
There are several different settings for the controls. I had it set to be somewhat close to the first two games, because that's what I'm comfortable with. But on the highest setting, it's pretty much the same as a mouse and keyboard. The added gimmicks I found fun. (I actually wished there were more of them, I liked them so much.) I should also say that you can actually jump with the Morph Ball by flicking the remote upwards, and that that feels pretty weird. The only reason I know that you can do this is because I read the manual - at no point in the game is this made clear or necessary.

The game itself is not like Metroid Prime 1 and 2. The first two were exploration-driven platformers. Metroid Prime 3 is a linear first-person shooter. If you compare its worlds to the worlds of the first two games, it comes up short. But its action is good, if you like that sort of thing. It's got a lot more scripting than the first two games, a lot more boss battles, and not much downtime from the fighting. It's actually not as hard as the second game though. (I played it on the "Veteran" difficulty level, and that wasn't as hard as the second game.)
Old 01-13-2008, 11:02 PM   #1089
Master of time and space

Quote:
There are several different settings for the controls. I had it set to be somewhat close to the first two games, because that's what I'm comfortable with. But on the highest setting, it's pretty much the same as a mouse and keyboard. The added gimmicks I found fun. (I actually wished there were more of them, I liked them so much.) I should also say that you can actually jump with the Morph Ball by flicking the remote upwards, and that that feels pretty weird. The only reason I know that you can do this is because I read the manual - at no point in the game is this made clear or necessary.

The game itself is not like Metroid Prime 1 and 2. The first two were exploration-driven platformers. Metroid Prime 3 is a linear first-person shooter. If you compare its worlds to the worlds of the first two games, it comes up short. But its action is good, if you like that sort of thing. It's got a lot more scripting than the first two games, a lot more boss battles, and not much downtime from the fighting. It's actually not as hard as the second game though. (I played it on the "Veteran" difficulty level, and that wasn't as hard as the second game.)
More bosses than Metroid Prime 2 !?
Old 01-14-2008, 01:44 AM   #1090
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

I think so. I didn't count them out or anything. Just a sec, I'll try to confirm...

Metroid Prime 1: 14 Bosses
Metroid Prime 2: 25 Bosses
Metroid Prime 3: 16 Bosses

Okay, you're right. Not nearly as many bosses as Metroid Prime 2. I didn't remember there being so many. Sorry for the error.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:30 PM   #1091

I should start Metroid Prime. The game looks beautiful!

Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy (GC) about 6 hours into the game.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:39 PM   #1092

Psychonauts. I've got to the Milkman Conspiracy, which I like a lot.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:04 PM   #1093

Playing Final Fantasy 8, giving the junction system another chance, after learning how to actually play the game properly. Much better than before, but Squall really annoys me - I really hate his attitude. It's hard to get into a character that goes against my own personality. I want to feel like I'm a hero, not some careless idiot with trust issues.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:48 AM   #1094

If you can, stick with it. You'll find there's more depth to his character. I don't want to give too much away, but you should find him a little more bearable as the game progresses.
Old 01-20-2008, 06:11 PM   #1095

Finished Final Fantasy III for the DS with a level 60 party (probably not required), consisting of a Dragoon, Ninja, Devout and Summoner, but anything else can do just as well.

Replaying Final Fantasy IV Advance, Currently in the Lunar Subterrain (spelt wrong), somewhere in the 5th floor. Escaped to get more Fuma Shruikens, right after I aquired the Holy Lance, 2 Ribbons (they are good) and Ragnarok (god-like).

Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones, popped it in my DS and currently on Ch. 12 Flouspar's Oath. Gives me chills, since she can kill a teammate from 3-10 squares away if he/she lacks good magic defence and/or avoidance.
And if someone dies, then I guess I would have to restart.

Replaying Prince of Persia: Sands of Time since I have a back-up GC controller, just started and the controls are still amazing.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:05 AM   #1096
The Reggienator

I'm almost through Command & Conquer 3.

Finished with GDI during the weekend and I'm at the second to last(?) mission with NOD right now.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:11 AM   #1097
Super Moderator

I've had my C&C3 DVD sitting by my PC for ages. I just can't seem to will myself into carrying on with it, and I've just started the Scrin part of the GDI campaign. Think I have 'Gamer's Block' or something.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:37 AM   #1098
The Reggienator

I completed the game now. It was fun, it's been quite a while since I've played a game as much as I played that, but inside a four day period I managed to complete it with both GDI and NOD.

I had this game sitting in my PC for almost a year unplayed.

Now to attack the Stalker universe again. It's been 7 months since I last played S.T.A.L.K.E.R., I have no idea where I even was in that game. I think maybe about half of the game completed at this point.

I do remember something that I'm supposed to meet some cook in some rebel base or something.

Also I've played finally a little of Phantom Hourglass. Last night I beat the first boss in it. Now that's my game of the year 2007.

Old 01-21-2008, 04:08 PM   #1099

Beat the final boss in Final Fantasy IV Advance twice, once more to unlock the seal for the Bard *shudders*.
Guess I'll need the Hand of the Gods for this run.
Magical Starsign, on the Wind planet and off to the Wood planet (forgot the actual names).
Izuna: Legend of the Unemployed Ninja... yeah, gave up on that final "bonus" 100 floor dungeon. Start back at level 1, no items and you can only pray that you find a good weapon before enemies show up.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:46 PM   #1100
The Reggienator

I had the opportunity to try out the PC conversion of Gears of War today.

What. A. Piece. Of. Overhyped. Crap.

Epic Games sure isn't what they used to be.
And what's with this Windows Live Gamer account nonsense? I couldn't even save the game because I didn't have one.

Also the game was quite a systemhog, I was playing with a fairly good computer and even on medium details the frame rate slowed down at some points quite a lot.

Let me say this, if this game is one of the best that Xbox360 can offer, then I'm not impressed.