Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   General (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/)
-   -   Game you're playing. How far you are. (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/14062-game-youre-playing-how-far-you.html)

RLacey 01-04-2008 05:21 PM

Crysis
I'm only a little past the end of the demo. I'm waiting for the patch to fix a really irritating memory leak before I see whether I need to drop the graphics settings. It runs absolutely fine for a little while, and then the frame rate suddenly plummets. Quite how this got out the door when the in-game console reports these memory leaks clearly is beyond me.

Unreal Tournament III
I suck, but this version of UT feels good. Shame that there aren't a lot of people playing it (relatively).

MdaG 01-05-2008 10:07 AM

Metroid prime 2
Still going at it. Just acquired the light suit. Now off to find nine (!?) keys hidden on Dark Aether... Deja vu anyone?* :crazy:

* Anyone who've played Metroid Prime 1

insane_cobra 01-06-2008 01:52 AM

Resident Evil 4, the PC version. What a travesty. Even with the patch, texture and cutscene mods applied, it looks like crap. How they managed to screw this one up so badly is beyond my comprehension.

That said, it's still a fun, addictive game, but I'm surprised by the abundance of archaic design elements. First of all, the whole tedious inventory management part should've been left out. Having to go to the inventory just to switch weapons or apply healing items really kills the flow of the game. Various "gamey" elements straight out of PS1 or even SNES games also break the immersion and lessen what could've been a trully atmospheric and creepy experience. The whole interface, presentation and general game progression is practically identical to the original Silent Hill, which is ancient by today's standards. In those regards it's very traditional and very, well, Japanese.

But like I said, I'm having a lot of fun with it, although I can't understand why so many people consider it the best game of the previous console generation. I mean, really? It probably wouldn't even be in my personal top 20, especially if we throw PC games into the mix.

Terramax 01-06-2008 02:15 AM

Just playing Viva Pinata. I started a thread asking for advice but no-one answered my call lol so I bit the bullet and got the last copy in a sale (why is it all the games I look to buy are always the ones never in the retails?).

Got the game yesterday and it pretty much owned my whole Saturday. Luckily I'm not one of the ones with the unplayable bugs (although I have had a few problems here and there).

I won't go into detail, I'll just say I haven't been so addicted to a game since Psychonauts about 2 years almost now.

insane_cobra 01-06-2008 02:36 AM

I would've answered your questions, but I have the 360 version (and no console to play it on - yet :D). But no, I don't think there's another game quite like Viva Pinata, although some comparisons to Animal Crossing and various management titles have been made.

Terramax 01-06-2008 04:46 AM

Oh yes, I'm adament the game was created as a rival to Animal Crossing & Pokemon on the DS/ Gamecube and Harvest Moon on the PS2.

The game doesn't do anything original, just fills the void with those kind of games on the 360.

If you don't want to know too much about the game when you progress through, I'd suggest not reading the below, although no story spoilers or anything like that--

Spoiler:

However, after O.D.ing on the game for a good 10+ hours I've started to realise nothing new is really happening now. My area gets bigger with achievements and obviously new Pinatas enter, but I'm not seeing any depth here.

I'm hoping there's some kind of new location later on as it's impossible for my area to expand anymore.

Stoofa 01-06-2008 01:11 PM

I have about 16 stars in Mario Galaxy. It's so much fun! Unfortunately I can't play for more than an hour a day or I get a really bad headache, so it's slow going.

Surfing on a manta ray = amazing.

MdaG 01-08-2008 12:39 AM

Metroid Prime 2
Taking on Emperor Ing and getting my butt kicked.
This guy is way more badass than Metroid Prime ever was.
Anyone know any good tactics on fighting him?
I've got 14 energy tanks, 210 missiles and 250 of dark and light ammo each.

insane_cobra 01-08-2008 11:48 AM

I had to stop playing RE4 for a couple of days and now that I'm back to it, I just don't feel like playing anymore. I'm in the mines under the castle,
Spoiler:
fighting El Gigante. Again. :shifty:
It just got quite monotone. Even, dare I say it... Boring? *gulp*

CrimsonBlue 01-08-2008 04:38 PM

Still playing FFVII on my PSP via PS3 and Remote Play. Going to the
Spoiler:
Temple of the Ancients
now.

RLacey 01-08-2008 04:58 PM

Crysis
One less broken set of graphics drivers and one patch later, I now seem to be able to run this game with loads of the settings on high and still get smooth gameplay.

As a result I'm playing it again. It's still fun; far more so than Far Cry was. I'm infiltrating a village to rescue someone who's trapped at a school.

Terramax 01-09-2008 12:07 PM

If there's any FPS as good as Farcry then I'm buying it.

Unfortunately an FPS can never be as good as Farcry unless it's open ended and at least has a likeable character.

I played the demo and the co-marines at the start were just irritating as anything. Can you tell me, or please tell me, that they all die (if so then I have no reason not to buy)?

At the moment I've just completed Silent Hill Origins which had a climax that wasn't too bad (albeit typical). I might consider going through it again.

Viva Pinata although now only playing in small doses as the game isn't offering anything new. I get a title upgrade and the odd random extra here and there, none that effects the now stale gameplay.

I've finally ended my Myst: Online account and switched to Metaboli.co.uk, so I've been playing Beach Life. How much I missed that game. Don't know why I sold it off in the first place.

I'm currently downloading STALKER from it before Cleopatra: A Queen's Destiny. Only too many games on Metaboli I wanna try out.

RLacey 01-09-2008 03:07 PM

Without giving any spoilers, I haven't reached a point at which you're not in contact with your team, but most of the time you appear to be alone with a bit of radio contact.

I should also point out that I really didn't like Far Cry. Too hard, too monster-filled. So I might just like Crysis because it's easier (and has Quicksave). I don't think that's the reason, though; I actively enjoy the suit powers and the feeling of the world.

In other news, I've just installed Civilization IV: Complete Edition. Between this, Crysis and UT3, goodbye life!

Terramax 01-11-2008 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RLacey (Post 455453)
I should also point out that I really didn't like Far Cry. Too hard, too monster-filled. So I might just like Crysis because it's easier (and has Quicksave). I don't think that's the reason, though; I actively enjoy the suit powers and the feeling of the world.

Can I ask what hardness level you played the game at and what tactics you used?

Although far from all the locations, many do allow you to handle situations in various ways.

By the sounds of it you got far.

In some places I was quite cheeky. Right at the end where there are a lot of those gigantic creatures, I figured ways of just running straight past them.

Another section, where I was in a tomb of some sorts, I lead a load of creatures into a group of marines and lead the two duke it out, and finished off any that survived.

MdaG 01-11-2008 03:33 PM

Twilight Princess
Currently in the first temple. I haven't played a Zelda game since A Link to the Past (which I loved) and so far I'm not overly impressed with this game. The graphics feel dated, even compared to the imho superior (graphically) Metroid Prime games. I'm playing the game on my Wii using a component cable to my 37" HDTV. On the other hand I wasn't impressed by Metroid Prime either in the beginning, but in the end I would've given it a 10 had it not been for the uncomfortable controls.

Terramax 01-11-2008 04:36 PM

If you don't mind investing in a pad, I'd say ditch Twilight and getting a copy of Wind Waker.

Although graphically no better, just different, I prefered The Wind Waker by a mile. I'm sure I've mentioned this on the Gamecube thread, but WW resigns to the light hearted, 'childish' look/ nature (in a positive way).

The Wind Waker got by for being incredibly charming and creating a great visual spin on Ocarina of Time (which I enjoyed, but wouldn't list even in the top 10 greatest games category). With many Zeldas I've been perplexed as to whether I was supposed to take the story and characters seriously or funny, but WW changed all that.

As you pointed out with Twilight, it looks dated, hasn't really got a unique agenda, controls are too restricting (especially on the horse) and, well, the concept is stale.

Nintendo really need to invest their masses of money on some great writers.

MdaG 01-12-2008 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terramax (Post 455711)
If you don't mind investing in a pad, I'd say ditch Twilight and getting a copy of Wind Waker.

Although graphically no better, just different, I prefered The Wind Waker by a mile. I'm sure I've mentioned this on the Gamecube thread, but WW resigns to the light hearted, 'childish' look/ nature (in a positive way).

The Wind Waker got by for being incredibly charming and creating a great visual spin on Ocarina of Time (which I enjoyed, but wouldn't list even in the top 10 greatest games category). With many Zeldas I've been perplexed as to whether I was supposed to take the story and characters seriously or funny, but WW changed all that.

As you pointed out with Twilight, it looks dated, hasn't really got a unique agenda, controls are too restricting (especially on the horse) and, well, the concept is stale.

Nintendo really need to invest their masses of money on some great writers.

If it doesn't get any better I'll look into Wind Waker instead. In what ways is WW better than TP ?

Terramax 01-12-2008 04:47 AM

It puts away trying to be dark, tough and epic, like previous titles (that often fail because they don't offer anything new stylistically or in story).

WW just feels natural. Everything from he look and the movement is just cute and comedic. It's almost like a friendly parody of itself. It puts the 'fun' into Zelda. It doesn't take itself too seriously.

Alas, if you don't like 'kiddie' looking games, then you won't like this. It's not childish in a patronising way, but I don't think you'll be convinced if all you play are 'mature' titles.

You implied that you've not played 'Ocarina of Time' either?

If that's the case, certain editions of WW consist of a revamped version of Ocarina as well.

Take a look at WW in action on a Wii.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vRm14aCgKV8

Footage of the game doesn't start until 6:35

Another montage here:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9vixeamodDM

Jatsie 01-12-2008 05:43 AM

The sailing in Wind Waker does grow tedious quickly IMO.

I stopped playing the game for months when I reached the point where I needed to sail back and forth across the map fishing hundreds of shards of the triforce out of various points in the ocean, as it just felt like a chore.

MdaG 01-12-2008 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terramax (Post 455756)
It puts away trying to be dark, tough and epic, like previous titles (that often fail because they don't offer anything new stylistically or in story).

WW just feels natural. Everything from he look and the movement is just cute and comedic. It's almost like a friendly parody of itself. It puts the 'fun' into Zelda. It doesn't take itself too seriously.

Alas, if you don't like 'kiddie' looking games, then you won't like this. It's not childish in a patronising way, but I don't think you'll be convinced if all you play are 'mature' titles.

You implied that you've not played 'Ocarina of Time' either?

If that's the case, certain editions of WW consist of a revamped version of Ocarina as well.

Take a look at WW in action on a Wii.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vRm14aCgKV8

Footage of the game doesn't start until 6:35

Another montage here:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9vixeamodDM

I'll certainly look into Wind Waker at some time as it looks great! I love celshades :)
However Twilight Princess got interesting (past the first temple now) and I'm going to give it a shot.