You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Game you're playing. How far you are.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2007, 05:08 AM   #761

I've decided to play the classic Scott Adams adventures, partly for gaming nostalgia and partly to study their structure. (I'm doing a lot of game analysis at the moment.)

So, starting from the beginning, I'm playing ADVENTURELAND. And I'm stuck in exactly the same place I got permanently stuck in, back in 1982.

It's slightly disheartening to think I haven't got any better in the past 25 years.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:20 PM   #762
Cheese Pants King

Send a message via Yahoo to Endosanity

Started playing:

Haunting Ground - PS2- Very atmoshperic game. Not for the action gamer... alot of running, hiding, and using your sidekick pooch to get you out of some serious messes.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:50 PM   #763
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endosanity View Post
The Icewind Dale series is all about tactics sacrificing story for gameplay. But they are both great games none the less. I recommend adding mods to the game for better play value but that's not your style then it's cool. You'll be digging the Ice Palace when you get to it.
I noticed that in the first one. Got past that section and I'm now up to liberating the bridge. My classic Agnazzar's Scorcher tactic is coming along well (magical flamethrower, can fry lots of enemies if you aim it right)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endosanity View Post
Started playing:

Haunting Ground - PS2- Very atmoshperic game. Not for the action gamer... alot of running, hiding, and using your sidekick pooch to get you out of some serious messes.
Sounds good. I like games that test your brain in this sort of way.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 06-26-2007, 02:27 PM   #764

Send a message via MSN to I Love Cookiemonster

Fallout 2: lvl 23, Boxing in New Reno. I've got the G.e.c.k. but so far coudn't be botherd to bring it back to Arroyo. Also trying to get rid of a stupid Jet Addiction.

Fallout Tactics: About 30 seconds into the first level I decided I've never finished the game before because it just blows. So i started Fallout 2 again. A bit weird maybe that I can play Fallout 1 + 2 back to back and nog get bored or anything. Just shows what great games these are
I'm the root of all that's evil yeah but you can call me Cookie
Old 06-26-2007, 02:29 PM   #765

Send a message via MSN to I Love Cookiemonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davies View Post
I've decided to play the classic Scott Adams adventures, partly for gaming nostalgia and partly to study their structure. (I'm doing a lot of game analysis at the moment.)

So, starting from the beginning, I'm playing ADVENTURELAND. And I'm stuck in exactly the same place I got permanently stuck in, back in 1982.

It's slightly disheartening to think I haven't got any better in the past 25 years.
Getting old?
I'm the root of all that's evil yeah but you can call me Cookie
Old 06-26-2007, 02:32 PM   #766

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Cookiemonster View Post
Fallout 2: lvl 23, Boxing in New Reno. I've got the G.e.c.k. but so far coudn't be botherd to bring it back to Arroyo. Also trying to get rid of a stupid Jet Addiction.
hehehe... I had the perk that made critical out of every melee attack. I killed every boxing opponent in a gory bloodpool, then I killed every one in the southwestern town as well.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:03 PM   #767

Currently playing Gears of War co-op with my wife. We're about to take down the berserker in Act IV (the second berserker in the game).

Good game, fun and all, but not the classic some make it out to be. Getting tiresome, want to play something else soon. Gotta finish it first though, and then maybe I'll buy Rainbow Six: Vegas on the PS3 this friday.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:48 AM   #768

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Cookiemonster View Post
Getting old?
Ha! I turn 46 on Sunday, so that might have something to do with it...

But I'm un-stuck now anyway, and without a walkthrough. Decided to go through all the exits systematically and found some more rooms I never knew existed. (Never actually bothered making a map. Should have.)

I've found and downloaded a walkthrough now, just in case. Mainly because I'm already tired of Adventureland -- no plot or atmosphere, just first-generation treasure hunting -- and want to get the gameplay analysis done and move on.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:30 AM   #769
Master of time and space

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonBlue View Post
Currently playing Gears of War co-op with my wife. We're about to take down the berserker in Act IV (the second berserker in the game).

Good game, fun and all, but not the classic some make it out to be. Getting tiresome, want to play something else soon. Gotta finish it first though, and then maybe I'll buy Rainbow Six: Vegas on the PS3 this friday.
As a co-op game I think Gears beat Vegas hands down, but the game play mechanics are better in Vegas. I believe Gears should be played in insane mode if you team up with someone. Normal and hardcore are nowhere near as challenging as any of the difficulties in Vegas. That is, if you're into strategic shooters...

Anyway.
Final Fantasy X - Malacania (<- or whatever) Temple. It's getting better and better. Still too many random encounters, but I've gotten good enough at them to be able to fight my way through while letting my mind wander... I mean really, why not make fun battles instead of boring ones (and don't get me started on the boss battles with arbitrary shapes/monsters/robots/whatever with > 100000 HP)? The only thing that keeps me at this game is the story, certain environments, characters and in some occasions the sensation of "leveling up". Also, why the hell does Tidus sound like one of the Turtles !?

Tidus voice actor

Last edited by MdaG; 06-27-2007 at 11:54 AM.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:10 PM   #770

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

I am half through Disc 2 of Final Fantasy VIII. It was a slow start and lots of boring training, but right now I have characters who are so powerful that I can beat "hard" bosses by only tapping the X button while reading on the web. The mechanics are a bit weird. I see them as an improvement over FF7, but an incomplete and untested improvement. I say the game is extremely unbalanced. Beyond that I cannot stop playing... I like the characters and I am very excited about the story that really took off in the end of Disc 1. I try to sleep now so I can get up early tomorrow to play some more
Old 06-27-2007, 02:16 PM   #771

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdaG View Post
As a co-op game I think Gears beat Vegas hands down, but the game play mechanics are better in Vegas.
What does this mean? What's better in Gears' co-op mode than in Vegas?
Old 06-27-2007, 02:27 PM   #772
Lazy Bee

Playing Journey to the Centre of the Earth I'm now in the gigant's village and this games annoys me like no other game before.
Either a game has marked hot spots or not. When some hot spots aren't marked the game becomes unnecessarily difficult. Other flaws are: Protagonist is hard to manoeuvre, the dialogues aren't exactly inspiring, too much running around to get things done and the game is very much linear.
I'm not even sure I'll be bothered to continue.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:07 PM   #773
delusions of adequacy

I've pretty much stopped playing anything but Dragon Quest Heroes Rocket Slime.

Obviously I picked it up for the name alone

Its a total blast to play (pun intended) as alongside the stock 'boss' battles the game also has pun filled tank battles between your (discovered early in the game) monster tank and different enemies (I just beat the Purrsecutor tank of the cat people).
Old 06-28-2007, 02:11 AM   #774
gin soaked boy

I'm really impressed by Omikron. It's one of the best adventure games I've played in a while and art direction is amazing. Different parts of the city are among the most beautiful and engrossing locations I've ever encountered in a game. Of course, the graphics don't look that hot nowadays, but inspired design shines through the crummy surface. Can't wait for Omikron 2.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:15 AM   #775

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy in milk View Post
I've pretty much stopped playing anything but Dragon Quest Heroes Rocket Slime.

Obviously I picked it up for the name alone
Well, how could *anybody* resist that name? It's impossible to hold out against a combination of dragons, quests, heroes, rockets, AND slime.

I've had to uninstall and reinstall Baldur's Gate because it went really odd and buggy on me. So that's starting over from the beginning. I'm getting quite good at the early parts.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:53 AM   #776
Master of time and space

Quote:
What does this mean? What's better in Gears' co-op mode than in Vegas?
In Vegas co-op mode removes the story and you're left taking on the "levels" as if they're just another multiplayer map. I would've preferred playing the game with a story like in Gears.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:00 AM   #777

Heh, I'm a bit worried now. But the manual for the PS3 version says this:

Co-Op Story: You and up to three other players fight together through the storyline as elite Rainbow members trying to save Vegas

Co-Op Terrorist Hunt: You and a team of players cooperate to locate and eliminate all terrorists in the map.

Is one of them new to the PS3 version then?
Old 06-28-2007, 11:33 AM   #778
Master of time and space

Quote:
Heh, I'm a bit worried now. But the manual for the PS3 version says this:

Co-Op Story: You and up to three other players fight together through the storyline as elite Rainbow members trying to save Vegas

Co-Op Terrorist Hunt: You and a team of players cooperate to locate and eliminate all terrorists in the map.

Is one of them new to the PS3 version then?
Just checked my manual. It says the same, but in my case I know it's a lie. As I have the 360 version you might be lucky
It's still the same game, but I never got any of the in game dialogs or even a third rainbow when playing in co-op. In the single player campaign it's you plus two others (controlled by the A.I.) and you'll receive in game chatter, videos etc. I never got any of that it co-op.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:40 PM   #779

Weird... huh, we'll just wait and see.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:19 AM   #780
Biomechanoid

Send a message via MSN to Bobske

Playing Marvel Ultimate Alliance at the moment...

My God! That game is addictive! Just defeated Mephisto and Blackheart started the next part and am loving every minute of it!