You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Game you're playing. How far you are.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2006, 04:24 PM   #41

Oblivion (Xbox360) - almost impossible to tell. Done a bunch of quests and have generally stuck to the adventure-style gaming in this so far, only explored a couple of caves and not even started the main story with my new character (I chose horribly wrong the first time - and I ended up hating him after 75(!) hours. I think the clock still ticks even when I put the game on pause, 'cause I don't want to think I just spent 75 hours of gaming for nothing).

Dragon Quest VIII (PS2) - been a bit back and forth on this one. Love the game, but I get a constant flow of new games, and my attention span is very short.

Driver: Parallell Lines (PS2) - quite a surprise it turned out as good as this. The best alternative to GTA yet. About 2/3 finished.

Burnout: Revenge (Xbox360) - well, I play a race every now and then just to get a bit further. I kinda got enough of Burnout with Burnout 3, but I still got this and I love it - yet I don't play it that much.

I was also supposed to play Fight Night Round 3, Tiger Woods and Ridge Racer on my Xbox360. And just got five more games, none of them have been in the console at all yet. Too many games, too little time.

Oblivion takes most of my time now though. I am slightly fed up with it (short attention span, remember), but I'm afraid that if I put it away now I'll never pick it up again, and I want to make the most out of it. But I keep wanting to do just one more quest, then I find another one that sounds interesting and I do that one, and like the sand in an hourglass, those are the days of our lives.

Last edited by CrimsonBlue; 03-30-2006 at 04:31 PM.
Old 03-30-2006, 04:47 PM   #42
Club a seal or two

Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town, whenever I can squeeze out some spare time. It helps that the game is portable.
I think I'm almost at the end boss.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:01 AM   #43
Chris Barraclough

Max Payne 2, the bit where you have to escape an exploding building while bad dudes just stand there shooting you instead of trying to actually escape themselves.

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk
Old 03-31-2006, 03:54 AM   #44
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Sherlock Holmes: The Mystery of the Mummy
Just (re?)released on budget here. First impressions aren't too positive ...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 03-31-2006, 05:00 AM   #45
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

Just finished CSI: Dark Motives (I play for the stories, even though they are much worse than in the series)
I have completed these Adventuregames (not so many since it's not long ago I got into the Adventure genre): TLJ, Syberia, Syberia 2, Still Life, Return to Mysterious Island, Agatha Christie: And then there were none, CSI

I'm playing (or trying to play) these games:
Grim Fandango - I'm trying to give the
Spoiler:
damn letter to the revolutionary guy but Manny just keeps reading it..

Ankh - Can't get hold of the bread and lettuce,
Spoiler:
she chases the cats out to soon

Gabriel Knight 3 - I know what I'm supposed to do, I just don't have the energy to continue the game

+ a lot of games in different genres I never finished (most recent - The Movies (I think I got to 2000) and Ghost Master)

I'm going to play: Voyage, Scratches, Keepsake, In Memorium (if the servers still up, does anyone know?) and I might try to get hold of
Crime Stories/Martin Mystery. Oh and I might also try Oblivion (my boyfriend has it) but I'm not sure if it's a game for me, to much fighting..

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery
Old 03-31-2006, 06:22 AM   #46
Party On Dudes

Quote:
Originally Posted by seebaruk
Max Payne 2, the bit where you have to escape an exploding building while bad dudes just stand there shooting you instead of trying to actually escape themselves.
that bit is sooooo anoying, if the loading was bearable it may have been okay but as it stands we can all enjoy tearing our hair out piece by piece at this section of the game...this is the PS2 version, is there a pc version?

i'm playing Lost In Blue, actually i've been nibbling at it since chrimbo but i am no way motivated into completing it, it's just too annoying, this whole 'Puzzle Temple' part is driving me crazy!! i tell the stupid lady that i'm going out for a few days and the silly cow doesn't remember to eat or drink even though i've got firewood, food and water set up for her!! argghhhhh!!

www.myspace.com/rabhiphop
Old 03-31-2006, 07:42 AM   #47
Grah! Grah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRUGAtes13
that bit is sooooo anoying, if the loading was bearable it may have been okay but as it stands we can all enjoy tearing our hair out piece by piece at this section of the game...this is the PS2 version, is there a pc version?
Yes. And I remember at least some of the guys trying to escape the fire. While shooting.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:52 AM   #48
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkface
Civilization IV - won on easy a couple of times, wonder movies not working properly, frustrated and bored
After Civ2 the series jumped the shark, if you ask me. I have Civ 3, and it's not as enjoyable as Civ 2 or Civ 1. (I want to build my palace! Or my throne room! Anything!)

Somebody told me that Civ 4 (I think it was Civ 4) is closer to the old concepts again. Would that be true, I ask of you? I don't know if I should buy it, or keep on searching for a cheap copy of Civ 2 Gold Edition (which I'm probably going to do anyway. Those fantasy scenarios were great fun.).

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 03-31-2006, 10:51 AM   #49

Send a message via AIM to copycat

I'm mostly playing on my PSP at the moment:

Burnout Legends
I love the racing parts (Road Rage is so much fun!), crashing is a bit dull though. I've completed around 45% of the game, the majority of it being the race series. I'm motivated to complete all races and win all gold medals. But I highly doubt that I'll ever finish all crash events.

Lemmings
Just got the game a few days ago. What a great remake of one of my all-time faves! I've already completed all 30 fun levels and I'm halfway through tricky.

I guess I've got all the good PSP games so far (Ridge Racer, Lumines, Virtua Tennis, GTA), but I couldn't be bothered to play them much. I'm sure GTA: LCS is tons of fun, but I'm the weakest action game player ever, and therefore my chances to ever finish this game are somewhat slim to none.

On the Mac side of things:

I started The Dig a few months ago, but I'm already stuck at the beginning of the game. Damm, I hate machine puzzles!

I'm also playing Sam and Max: Hit the Road, which is exactly my kind of adventure. Just as John Green's fantastic zombie comic adventure Nearly Departed. :-)
Old 03-31-2006, 06:24 PM   #50
Iconoclast

I'm playing Onimusha 3 for PC. I'm still near the beginning and have just started playing as Jean Reno's character.

I am thoroughly enjoying it. It's such a refreshing change from the normal PC games that I am usually subjected to. Of course, it's probably just a formulaic console game, but as I don't play consoles, it seems quite refreshing to me. Pure, mindless, hack-and-slash fun. Just what I need right now after pounding myself into the pavement with adventure games for the first part of the year...
Old 03-31-2006, 07:02 PM   #51
SamNMax

Well, just finished PDZ tonight. I'm pretty happy with it. I don't think the people who gave up on the game after the first few missions (ie everybody) realize that it picks up a lot.

I got back to Call of Duty 2 as well. I'm really used to running and gunning, so it's going to take some time to adjust to COD's style of play.

Recently finished story mode in NBA Ballers: Phenom. It was incredibly stupid, but for some reason I feel like buying a cool, refreshing lemon-lime Sprite, listen to some Ludacris and talk on my T-Mobile cell just before logging on to AOL. But, the other modes are pretty cool. Though for some reason I don't think Earl Boykins can dunk over Shaq. Or anyone.

In the middle of Metal Gear Ac!d 2. Pleasently surprised by it.

Depressed 'cause I spent 50 of my hard-earned dollars on the shitty propaganda that is Kingdom Hearts 2. In all honesty, a good game. But it's nothing but a rehash of the first and quite frankly I'm ashamed I handed more money to Michael Eisner.

At the begining of Tony Tough, though I haven't actually played any of it. It looks really really stupid.

Space Quest V. Not bad at all, but I miss Gary Owens.

And finally, I'm revisiting my first adventure (well, the first adventure I watched someone play), CMI. Just beat Rottingham with like, seven insults. Best music ever, too.

Old 03-31-2006, 07:38 PM   #52
Grah! Grah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7
After Civ2 the series jumped the shark, if you ask me. I have Civ 3, and it's not as enjoyable as Civ 2 or Civ 1. (I want to build my palace! Or my throne room! Anything!)

Somebody told me that Civ 4 (I think it was Civ 4) is closer to the old concepts again. Would that be true, I ask of you? I don't know if I should buy it, or keep on searching for a cheap copy of Civ 2 Gold Edition (which I'm probably going to do anyway. Those fantasy scenarios were great fun.).
Of the previous Civilizations, I've only played Civ1, and that was probably over ten years ago, and I didn't get very in depth, so I'm not in the best position to say. My frustration and boredom probably make it sound like a bad game, but I think I'm actually just burned out on strategy games at the moment and it's really quite a good game (if those ****ing wonder movies would work...) Definitely worth playing, but I can't really say how it relates to the earlier games (except that I much prefer it from an aesthetic perspective.) Plus it has the Velvet Underground representing rock and roll which makes it especially cool.
Old 03-31-2006, 11:44 PM   #53
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastich
I'm playing Onimusha 3 for PC. I'm still near the beginning and have just started playing as Jean Reno's character.

I am thoroughly enjoying it. It's such a refreshing change from the normal PC games that I am usually subjected to. Of course, it's probably just a formulaic console game, but as I don't play consoles, it seems quite refreshing to me. Pure, mindless, hack-and-slash fun. Just what I need right now after pounding myself into the pavement with adventure games for the first part of the year...
I finished it recently. It's very enjoyable, but also very forgettable. Great fun while playing, though, and that's what counts.

It becomes quite a bit more difficult later on, so I'm afraid you'll have to start using your brain at some point.
Old 04-01-2006, 05:18 AM   #54
delusions of adequacy

Avernum 4.

I played 3/4 through this and hit a shareware bug (apparently fixed now) that meant I had to restart from the beginning (I'm almost up to the same point again). As an idea how big the game is, 3/4 complete ~= two weeks casual play for me.

I can only recommend it if you're a glutton for punishment. It has old school quality graphics (generic & poor) and stickler turn based combat (against large numbers of opponents). If that wasn't bad enough it comes with a fiendishly stingy level up system which forces you to not only know what skills and stats to pick (and when), but when to save points between levels to afford the more expensive 'upgrades'.

I've also nearly completed XIII (for the past 6 months...) but the shitty save system and dull gameplay are conspiring to make me just delete it, unfinished.

I intend to try the "A Hunt Through the Dark" series of modules for NWN after Avernum.
Old 04-01-2006, 06:01 AM   #55
Explorer of the uncharted

Btw, has anyone played or heard anything about Michigan: Report from Hell? Is it good or shitty? Does it focus more on adventure than survival? And do the things that were cut from the japanese version realy affect the game?
Old 04-01-2006, 07:52 PM   #56

0.5%-ish of the way through Morrowind (not Oblivion!). Picked it up for free a while back, jumped into it as a thief with noooooooo idea what I was doing. Months later, I'm going much more slowly as an eccentric elf archer named Sam. She wears a pointy yellow hat.

Constantly playing TS2, of course. But, I'm mainly waiting for Dreamfall to come out and school to be over to do any serious gaming. My family bought this amazing new rig last summer and the only game I've bought for it was Indigo Prophecy! Litttllllllle bit of a dry spell there.
Old 04-01-2006, 08:19 PM   #57
Grah! Grah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NcroManiac
Btw, has anyone played or heard anything about Michigan: Report from Hell? Is it good or shitty? Does it focus more on adventure than survival? And do the things that were cut from the japanese version realy affect the game?
I've heard the Japanese version is brilliant, while the English is abysmal due to it being translated and voice acted in a manner aimed at making it as campy as possible. I've never understood why games can't just offer subtitles and keep the original language.
Old 04-01-2006, 10:12 PM   #58
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7

-
Civ 4 is a totally different game than any civ before it. It's fun and I enjoy it a lot. They really streamlined the interface this time, so for example they got rid of the sucky parts like cleaning pollution and civil unrest management, to something else that does not require your constant attention but still accomodates for these concepts. They changed the government system to something called civics, which basically provides you with many more choices than simple republic/communism/anarchy ...
They also changed the tech tree such that you don't need to discover everything to unlock the later technologies. The techs branch, so different people will have different technologies. And of course there is religion. So a lot of changes, but to the better in my opinion.

Firefox rules
Old 04-02-2006, 10:46 AM   #59
gin soaked boy

Just finished The Temple of Elemental Evil and I'm glad it's over. It's probably the single buggiest game I've ever played, and that's after 3 patches applied (2 official and one fan-made, because the game wouldn't even start if I applied the third official patch )! One of the bugs prevented me from finishing the game the way I wanted to (it would always hang during combat in the fire node so I had to skip the fire node altogether ) and there were dozens and dozens of smaller issues. On top of that, it ran terribly slowly, stuttering all the time and often freezing for up to 5 minutes.

That's some abominable programming there, I can't comprehend how anyone could've given it a score higher than 4/10, even without taking into account some rather questionable design decisions.

But it sure is addictive.
Old 04-04-2006, 03:43 AM   #60
Supreme Dictator for Life

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by such great heights
0.5%-ish of the way through Morrowind (not Oblivion!). Picked it up for free a while back, jumped into it as a thief with noooooooo idea what I was doing. Months later, I'm going much more slowly as an eccentric elf archer named Sam. She wears a pointy yellow hat.
LOL, this is good to hear as I was in almost the exact same boat a few months ago. Picked up Morrowwind and it took me a few hours just to figure out what the hell I was doing/supposed to do. Unfortunately Chopper was a bit of an anti-social and would've attempted to attack Sam on site