Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   General (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/)
-   -   To all those getting Oblivion (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/13789-all-those-getting-oblivion.html)

Dale Baldwin 04-04-2006 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bysmitty
LOL, I sure hope the sigil stones arn't important.

Just a quick and easy way of enchanting things (more useful when you're not in the arcane uni, of course)

UPtimist 04-04-2006 12:10 PM

The second option now for some reason reminded me of a thing in Morrowind. In Seyda Neen (or whatever the arrival town is) someone says that someone lost some ring in a cave somewhere along the west coast (he was a bit more specific). I searched and searched for that ring, but never found it. I checked every cave I could find on the map, I think, but there was nothing. Anyone know anything about this? (I know the description is rather amusing with the "something" and stuff, but you know what I'm talking about if you know the deal here.)

And sorry for getting off-topic :P

Aj_ 04-04-2006 02:36 PM

One other thing to do with Oblivion.

Warning, virtual breasts! Don't click if you're a fundamentalist of a Christian or Muslim persausion.

jjacob 04-04-2006 04:38 PM

LMAO :D Going to give that one a try. I also have an achery shop mod installed which is pretty awesome (seeing as though there was no really good archery shop).

Ninth 04-05-2006 03:48 AM

I won't read this thread for fear of spoilers, but I spend 300€ on a graphic card to be able to play this game (among others), and so far, after 20 hours or so, I don't regret it at all.
It's everything Morrowind was and more, incredibly beautiful, more scripted, still huge, more complex, and with the nice mini-games to break the pace.

Two amazing experiences so far: Stumbling upon the Dark Brotherhood's door my accident, and going in the dream world. :9

Oh, and it run smooth as silk on my 2,4GHz Pentium with 1Go of RAM and a ATI Radeon X850 GT (I think it's a GT, in any case).

Bugs: One bad one, in the sewer, where an ambitious jump sent me in the "void", a la Daggerfall, and display problems in the inventory; sometimes went I look at the map, or when I try to read a book, there's a glitch that prevents me from reading correctly (translation: it's all messed up).

Also, it's more difficult than Morrowind so far.

bysmitty 04-05-2006 07:13 AM

I highly recommend the dark brotherhood missions. They are some of the best I have run accross so far. I'm almost done with the thieves guild missions which are fun but not nearly as satisfying.

What is dream world? Do you mean Oblivion or is this something I haven't run accross yet?

...bysmitty

Dale Baldwin 04-05-2006 07:19 AM

Quote:

What is dream world? Do you mean Oblivion or is this something I haven't run accross yet?

Something else :) A quest where an npc is trapped in a dream state, and you have to sort it out. Not very combatty, was a nice change.

The world inside a painting is pretty too (the quest itself is a bit dull though).

Karmillo 04-05-2006 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale Baldwin
Something else :) A quest where an npc is trapped in a dream state, and you have to sort it out. Not very combatty, was a nice change.

The world inside a painting is pretty too (the quest itself is a bit dull though).

The dreamworld one was pretty crazy...especialy for me since I had just killed someone and the dark brotherhood guy kept appearing in it :shifty:

bysmitty 04-05-2006 09:41 AM

Can someone please spoilerize me as to where I might find the dreamworld and world inside a painting quests? Sounds nifty to the X-treme.

...bysmitty

jjacob 04-05-2006 04:46 PM

Quote:

Can someone please spoilerize me as to where I might find the dreamworld and world inside a painting quests? Sounds nifty to the X-treme.

...bysmitty

Spoiler:
Go to Cheydinhal, ask some people about "Rumors", you'll find that a famous painter has gone missing. If you need more info, do ask, but it's more fun on your own

That's the paint world quest, don't know about the dreamworld one yet :)

By the by, has anyone else noticed that the higher you set your resolution, the more FPS you get?! :crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy:: crazy::crazy::crazy:

I couldn't believe it at first, so I tested it with three different savegames (Interior, Exterior, Dungeon);

Interior 800x600, HDR, medium textures, medium settings; 9-12 FPS (average 11)
Interior 1600x1200, HDR, med. textures, medium settings; 15-18 FPS (av. 16)

Exterior 800x600, HDR, med. text., med. settings; 7-9 FPS (av. 8)
Exterior 1600x1200, HDR, med. text., med. settings; 13-17 FPS (av. 15)

Dungeon 800x600, HDR, med. text., med. settings; 18 FPS
Dungeon 1600x1200, HDR, med. text., med settings; 25-38 FPS (av. 31)

My system: nVidia GF6800GT 256MB (oc'ed @ 475Mhz core, 780Mhz memory), P4 HT 3.2 Ghz, 1GB fast DDR memory, 10K RPM HDs.

So to anyone with similar specs, I'd say; try a higher resolution to get more fps! :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Dale Baldwin 04-05-2006 06:04 PM

Quote:

For the dreamworld:
Spoiler:
The person with the quest is in the Bravil mage's guild, but I heard about it from someone else (possibly also inside the guild).

Ninth 04-06-2006 06:48 AM

Quote:

I highly recommend the dark brotherhood missions. They are some of the best I have run accross so far. I'm almost done with the thieves guild missions which are fun but not nearly as satisfying.

...bysmitty

I'm stuck at the one where you have to sneak through the dungeon to kill a prisonner, so I'll save them until I'm better at stealth, or until I have an invisibility spell, or until I fell like trying to figure out another way in.

Plenty of work in the mage guild as it is, and I still have to find the Thieves guild (I want to figure out where to find it by myself, though, so no unspoilerized spoilers please... whatever that means :crazy: ).

Yes, the dream world is one of this "nice touches" that makes a game great.

Dale Baldwin 04-06-2006 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninth
I'm stuck at the one where you have to sneak through the dungeon to kill a prisonner, so I'll save them until I'm better at stealth, or until I have an invisibility spell, or until I fell like trying to figure out another way in.

I used the tried and tested method of running for it. Only had five guards on my case by the time I got to the prisoner ;)

Hammerite 04-06-2006 07:09 AM

EXCELENTE!!!!!!
my graphics card is here!

[guitar solo]weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeooOOOOooOOWwwwWWOoOWOWOowweeeeee eEOeoeOeieoieoieeieoei (SEEEEEERIOUS FEEDBACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeoooooooooooooooowowowoOWOWowowoOWOOOOOOoo ooooooooooowwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeEOEOEOEOOEOEO[/guitar solo]

UPtimist 04-06-2006 07:15 AM

Great stuff. You've got some talent there.

I'm having serious trouble waiting for this, especially since my TLJ hasn't arrived yet... I'm just sure that I'll make too quick a decision in this, like buy the vanilla version and then notice I could've gotten the CE from the next store for the same price :crazy:

Or not, but I'm still starting to get very anxious... Sort of... As you can see from my text too. :P

Ninth 04-06-2006 09:27 AM

Quote:

I used the tried and tested method of running for it. Only had five guards on my case by the time I got to the prisoner ;)

I did try this, but somehow I messed up and, well, died. :D

Quote:

I managed to do it without being seen once....same with the elder-scroll heist. :D I'm quite good at getting in where I'm not supposed to be.

jjacob 04-06-2006 12:17 PM

LMAO, running for it has worked for me on occasion too, especially in Oblivion worlds :P Has anyone else tried bumping up the resolution to improve the framerate too? I tried a lot of the INI tweaks but many of them had little to no (or counterproductive) effects, aside from the fact that once you tweaked it (and had to make it read-only) you couldn't change your QuickUse keys. Imagine my surprise to see my old 6800GT could still pump out 20FPS at 1600x1200 :crazy:

Oh and are the Dark Brotherhood missions very erhm.. evil? :P I've been hearing they're some of the best in the game but I could'nt even go darkside in KOTOR so I'm hesitant to take them up :P

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjacob
Imagine my surprise to see my old 6800GT could still pump out 20FPS at 1600x1200 :crazy:

Oddly enough rising to 1280x1024 doesn't affect my performance that much. Although it does it enough to prevent me from keeping it that way in forested areas.

Quote:

Oh and are the Dark Brotherhood missions very erhm.. evil? :P I've been hearing they're some of the best in the game but I could'nt even go darkside in KOTOR so I'm hesitant to take them up :P

The dark brotherhood is kickass, I loved it the whole way through.

bysmitty 04-06-2006 02:23 PM

That Dark Brotherhood cleansing mission was real painfull though. I wandered around town for 2 days trying to think of some other way to do it before I went in arrows blazing. ;(

As for the prison mission, elder scroll mission, and basically anytime in the game, I snuck through without being seen. I ought to check what my sneak skill is, it has got to be through the roof. It makes pick pocketing and combat almost too easy. I'm not complaining through. I like too easy. :D

...bysmitty