You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2006, 05:18 PM   #1
adventurer

Default Fallout 3

What's up with Fallout?
First Troika buyed the rights for the game, then Bethseda, but when are we going to see some results?

Does someone know when it is due to be done?
Old 03-11-2006, 05:25 PM   #2
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

I spent £20 on the box set pretty excited since I had heard nothing but good things about it and was teribly dissapointed...the battle system was just too slow with that stupid board game bit that take about 5 minutes to get you to the enemy

so I cant say im as excited about seeing this than everyone else seems to be...and I thought there was 3 out already? the box set had 3 games
Old 03-11-2006, 05:39 PM   #3
Aj_
Beyond Belief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmillo
I spent £20 on the box set pretty excited since I had heard nothing but good things about it and was teribly dissapointed...the battle system was just too slow with that stupid board game bit that take about 5 minutes to get you to the enemy

so I cant say im as excited about seeing this than everyone else seems to be...and I thought there was 3 out already? the box set had 3 games
You must be entering combat from too far away for this to happen, it should not take long to get to your enemy, just quit out of combat. The combat is slow, turn-based, quiting out of combat/fleeing is badly handled, and the interface is unneccesarily slow. The combat system is balanced, deep, complex, and very fun.

Fallout is my favourite game, puzzles, gameplay, artwork, concept, story, dialogue, characters, voice acting, quests, and humour are some of the best you'll find in any game.

The games:
Wasteland
Fallout
Fallout 2
Fallout: Tactics
Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel(Xbox and PS2)
and not released Fallout 3

Interplay was already making Fallout 3, but then the project was cancelled. Troika never had the rights to make Fallout 3. There is no news on release dates for Fallout 3, and I don't think it's going to be released in 2006, but I could be wrong.

Last edited by Aj_; 03-11-2006 at 06:19 PM.
Old 03-11-2006, 05:46 PM   #4
adventurer

You're probably talking about Fallout Tactics : BoS - which I played, and I agree that it's terrible ( not at all worth the money you spent on it).

But, Fallout 3 isn't out yet, I dunno when it will be, and I just follow the flow.
Everybody say that it'll be great, so I got interested too.

Played Fallout 2, and was thrilled with it, so I await the 3rd part with anxiety.
Nobody seems to know anything about it, just that it is comming.

Troika did own the rights before it closed down ( or it supposed to - so I heard)
Old 03-11-2006, 06:16 PM   #5
Aj_
Beyond Belief

Here you go:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Boyarsky, Troika
We never, ever bid on Fallout. One major publisher mentioned Interplay was shopping it around and would be interested in us developing it for them, but theydropped it as too expensive when they found out the asking price (not ours, Interplay's). We never had our own money, and were just beginning to toy with the idea of independent funding near the end of our life as a business - which was after Beth had already gotten Fallout.

I did approach Bethesda about us working with them on Fallout, but they were uninterested. Instead of flaiming them for this however, think about it from their point of view: who among us would want to pay a huge amount of money for a license and then turn it over to someone else? I'm assuming they paid the $$ because they wanted to make a Fallout game, end of story.

Our post apocalyptic game was going to be something new, simply because we loved the genre. We struggled with whether to make it post apoc or not, since Beth already had Fallout, but our love for the genre outweighed other considerations.

I'm not going to go anywhere near the argument of who is responsible for Fallout's greatness, except to say that Scott Campbell never gets the credit he deserves in all these arguments. He wrote alot of the original story and came up with alot of the characters and places as well.
Update: Bethesda doesn't plan on showing Fallout 3 at this year's e3, which is a very good indicator that it will not be released this year.
Old 03-11-2006, 06:25 PM   #6
adventurer

Well, I knew I should have checked that info before i posted it here.
Thanks for the update.
That's too bad for the e3, I was really hoping to play f3 this year.
Old 03-11-2006, 06:38 PM   #7
woof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj_
You must be entering combat from too far away for this to happen, it should not take long to get to your enemy, just quit out of combat. The combat is slow, turn-based, quiting out of combat/fleeing is badly handled, and the interface is unneccesarily slow. The combat system is balanced, deep, complex, and very fun.

Fallout is my favourite game, puzzles, gameplay, artwork, concept, story, dialogue, characters, voice acting, quests, and humour are some of the best you'll find in any game.

The games:
Wasteland
Fallout
Fallout 2
Fallout: Tactics
Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel(Xbox and PS2)
and not released Fallout 3

Interplay was already making Fallout 3, but then the project was cancelled. Troika never had the rights to make Fallout 3. There is no news on release dates for Fallout 3, and I don't think it's going to be released in 2006, but I could be wrong.
I didnt want to go into combat, I tried all I could to avoid it but then I just kept getting thrown into it.
Never realised that ps2 game was actualy part of the fallout franchise, thought it was just some action game that was using a similar name
Old 03-11-2006, 06:41 PM   #8
Aj_
Beyond Belief

Quote:
I didnt want to go into combat, I tried all I could to avoid it but then I just kept getting thrown into it.
I'll admit the interface is confusing in this regard. I didn't personnally have a problem with it, and I have seen the game completed in about 10minutes on a speed run.
Old 03-11-2006, 07:25 PM   #9

Fallout 2 is possibly the greatest game... ever

Anywho i'm worried that its in the hands of bethesda tbh, not that oblivion wont be a good game, but its certainly nowhere near the same vein, and considering the other games they've done in the genre

http://www.bethsoft.com/games/games_rpg.html

I just dont think they're the right folk for the franchise, like troika (who have shut there doors no?) or obsidian.

Ohh well, i'm not holding much hope, that way maybe i can be pleasently surprised as opposed to greatly let down.
Old 03-11-2006, 07:29 PM   #10
is not wierd

I doubt Bethesda's even started on it beyond very early preliminary work. I remember reading that it just wasn't at the top of their priority list (which of course Oblivion was).

But I'm really curious to see what they'll do with it, if anything.
Old 03-11-2006, 08:32 PM   #11

Bethesda should just sell the rights to Obsidian! It's what's eventually going happen to all of Interplay's 90s classics.

I wish I still owned the Fallout games.
Old 03-12-2006, 12:28 AM   #12

btw, how is Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel compared to, say, Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 1 and 2?
Old 03-12-2006, 01:02 AM   #13
gin soaked boy

Bethesda has stated several times that Fallout 3 will indeed be very different from their TES series of games. I have faith in Bethesda, I can't remember them developing a bad game.

Anyway, I'm a little surprised there's no mention of their superb Terminator games on the website. Sure, they're quite old, but so are Arena and Daggerfall.
Old 03-12-2006, 03:44 AM   #14

The moment Fallout 3 will be announced it will be on the top of every RPG lover's hypometer until its release. It will be the most hyped RPG game of all time. Bethesda knows this very well, so they will probably not go public with the game until they know they got some really good stuff going.
Old 03-12-2006, 03:47 AM   #15

Quote:
You know, the Fallout games are quite difficult to get into today. The interface and graphics style didn't age very well. I recently started replaying Fallout 1, but I stopped because just couldn't handle the clumsy controls, and maybe also because I already finished it 6 times .

My advice to you is: don't give up. Keep on playing. Even though the interface didn't age well, the actual gameplay did. The conversations are still the best ever. You only need to take the time to get into it, but it's certainly worth the effort.
Old 03-12-2006, 04:49 AM   #16
is not wierd

Yea, Karmillo, Fallout definitely has one of the best stories I've ever seen in a video game, and one of the best villains (the Master). Fallout 2 isa little cheaper, as it spends more time with silly cultural references and outrageous encounters, but it works because they're actually quite funny and the actual dramatic story does pick up towards the end. The games were a little clunky even compared to Planescape and Baldur's Gate, but that couldn't stop me from wanting to collect all the big guns and stop the threat.
Old 03-12-2006, 05:20 AM   #17
Fop
Epsilon-Minus Semi-Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj_
Here you go:

Update: Bethesda doesn't plan on showing Fallout 3 at this year's e3, which is a very good indicator that it will not be released this year.
I wouldn't expect F3 until maybe 2008 or 2009. Bethesda won't announce it until it's very far into development, and even then it'll take a year or two until it's released.
Old 03-12-2006, 06:15 AM   #18
adventurer

Oh I don't think that we'll have to wait that long, still they do want to make the game.

Fallout 2 is one of the best ( if not the best) RPGs I've played. Get used to the interface and play. The only dumb part is the Temple in the beginning, but after that comes the good stuff.
Old 03-12-2006, 06:41 AM   #19
Aj_
Beyond Belief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fop
I wouldn't expect F3 until maybe 2008 or 2009. Bethesda won't announce it until it's very far into development, and even then it'll take a year or two until it's released.
I'm hoping 2007, because I believe pre-production was started in 2004.
Old 03-12-2006, 06:54 AM   #20
woof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom
You know, the Fallout games are quite difficult to get into today. The interface and graphics style didn't age very well. I recently started replaying Fallout 1, but I stopped because just couldn't handle the clumsy controls, and maybe also because I already finished it 6 times .

My advice to you is: don't give up. Keep on playing. Even though the interface didn't age well, the actual gameplay did. The conversations are still the best ever. You only need to take the time to get into it, but it's certainly worth the effort.
I dont mind old games, it was just that the combat was really too slow for me...it kinda reminded me of something like civilisation the way you had to move spaces

Its been a while since I played it but I think I made it to some town and wasnt sure where to go, and I didnt want to go out searching cause of the combat so I gave up