Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   General (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/)
-   -   Nintendo DS - Brain Age (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/13729-nintendo-ds-brain-age.html)

fov 03-09-2006 07:45 AM

Nintendo DS - Brain Age

Okay, I'm not sure I get the point of this. Which is probably deliciously ironic, but my brain's gone to mush so I can't appreciate the irony. :(

Quote:

PRESS RELEASE

Brain Awareness Week Reinforces The Need To Exercise Your Brain

March 9, 2006

It's easy to tell when your body is out of shape, but what about your brain? International Brain Awareness Week begins March 13 as baby boomers and others are looking for the best way to exercise their brains.

Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day for Nintendo DSTM launches April 17 on the heels of the week designed to increase public awareness about the brain. Users write their answers or draw a picture on the portable Nintendo DS touch screen to keep their "DS brains" young and fit by performing mental activities quickly.

Dr. Elizabeth Zelinski, dean and executive director of University of Southern California's Leonard Davis School of Gerontology, says games like Brain Age can help keep older generations of Americans' minds active. "Americans can do a great deal to maintain and even improve their mental abilities," Zelinski explains. "Aging is about taking on new challenges for our minds. Nintendo's Brain Age is a great way to do that."

Americans of all ages are always looking for ways to get a mental edge and Brain Age acts as a treadmill for the mind.

In Brain Age, first-time users take a few tests to establish their DS brain age. Holding the DS like a book, users perform activities like drawing lines to connect letters and numbers in order, counting the syllables in well-known phrases and other brain-stimulating activities. Sharing a game card allows users to compare their results with family and friends.

For more information about Brain Age, visit www.nintendo.com.
Now, call me crazy, but aren't the games you can play on the DS much more stimulating than using it to draw lines or count syllables? If I wanted to draw lines I could do so on a piece of paper, thanks. :crazy:

Jackal 03-09-2006 08:34 AM

Next up: the spelling bee! How do you spell "DS"?

fov 03-09-2006 11:06 AM

Err... I'll get back to you on that. :P

Avinash_Tyagi 03-10-2006 01:32 PM

apparently the brain games are huge in japan, I think the DS one has sold over a million copies

sethsez 03-14-2006 02:02 AM

This thing is HUGE in Japan.

It's essentially a portable, hugely varied IQ test. If that doesn't appeal to you (it does to me)... well, it also has Sudoku.

Jackal 03-14-2006 08:20 AM

I actually think the concept behind brain games is a great idea. I'm just making fun of the laughably weak examples given here. Ability to perform those particular tasks shouldn't prove much more than not being a vegetable. :crazy:

fov 03-14-2006 09:55 AM

Speaking of brain games... know what I'd like to see on the DS? A You Don't Know Jack-style trivia game.

I LOVE that game but it never occurs to me to sit down and play it. It would be a great waiting-for-the-bus (or on-the-bus) game.

They could even make use of the touch screen for some of the bonus questions, and work in voice response for yelling out your answer.

wilco 03-14-2006 11:25 AM

Incredible! I was checking online stores for releasing dates and this game actually costs 20$ in USA. Surprising, but whats really shocking is that its going to cost £25 in Europe...
Nintendo of Europe really needs some brain training...

jjacob 03-14-2006 05:32 PM

No surprise there, if it's electronics, and it costs $100 in the states, you can bet your car that it's going to cost €100 in Europe, or slightly less than £100 in the UK :shifty:

bigjko 03-15-2006 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fov
Speaking of brain games... know what I'd like to see on the DS? A You Don't Know Jack-style trivia game.

I LOVE that game but it never occurs to me to sit down and play it. It would be a great waiting-for-the-bus (or on-the-bus) game.

They could even make use of the touch screen for some of the bonus questions, and work in voice response for yelling out your answer.

Jesus, I would LOVE that! And single-cart multiplayer would just be awesome. I think my father would just go bonkers over You Don't Know Jack DS.

On a side note: I wouldn't be as keen on just a Jack-style trivia game. Mainly because having Jack insulting you, screming and being funny just made the game so much more fun.

fov 03-15-2006 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjko
On a side note: I wouldn't be as keen on just a Jack-style trivia game. Mainly because having Jack insulting you, screming and being funny just made the game so much more fun.

That's what I was thinking. It'd have to be YDKJ or something pretty damn similar.

Vivendi? Are you listening? *insert hopeful smiley here*

dsgirl 03-22-2006 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fov
Okay, I'm not sure I get the point of this. Which is probably deliciously ironic, but my brain's gone to mush so I can't appreciate the irony. :(

Now, call me crazy, but aren't the games you can play on the DS much more stimulating than using it to draw lines or count syllables? If I wanted to draw lines I could do so on a piece of paper, thanks. :crazy:

but how can we avoid it when ds lite is like this
http://ds.qj.net/uploads/articles_mo...iteghdgsfa.jpg

see

Jake 03-23-2006 02:04 AM

http://www.cabel.name/2006/01/brain-...announced.html

There's a good writeup on Brain Training

http://www.cabel.name/2006/01/on-brain-training.html

That's the one I was looking for.

fov 03-23-2006 05:19 PM

We got free copies of this game today at the Nintendo keynote at GDC. :)

So far I've done some math problems. Apparently I have the brain of a 27-year-old. Which is not surprising, considering I'm 27. :crazy: (Okay, I turned 28 on Tuesday...)

dsgirl 03-23-2006 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake
http://www.cabel.name/2006/01/brain-...announced.html

There's a good writeup on Brain Training

http://www.cabel.name/2006/01/on-brain-training.html

That's the one I was looking for.

some say that it's already out but when i surf on the internet it says that it's already gone in all over japan, i'm really hoping that it will be out anywhere =(
do you have any idea?

fov 03-23-2006 08:56 PM

It's not out in the US yet. It's supposed to be released in April.

Amazon listing

dsgirl 03-24-2006 01:12 AM

ohh =(, so does it mean it will be on April all over US?

fov 04-02-2006 02:32 PM

Okay, I'm addicted to Brain Age (especially the sodoku puzzles). I'm sorry I ever made fun of it. :o

dsgirl 04-17-2006 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fov
Okay, I'm addicted to Brain Age (especially the sodoku puzzles). I'm sorry I ever made fun of it. :o

ok i understand because most of the people say that this game is really educating the gamers especially the young ones

Tanukitsune 06-17-2006 01:27 PM

I'm resurrecting this thread instead of creating a new one...

I must say I love this program, I can't call it a game, but one thing is sure, it WORKS!

The first day, my brain was old and tired (80 years is the worst you can get). The game consists of training exercises:
-Head Count: People enter and leave a house quickly, can you figure out how many there are in the end? This one helps you concentration, observation and memory skills
-20xCalculation: Math! DUH! (It might get some numbers confused until you get the hang of it!)
-100XCalculation: More Math!
-Reading Aloud: reading is good for your brain... :P
-Low to high: Memorize the numbers and tap where they were in order from low to high!
-Syllable Count: I sucked at this, but apparently you eventually get better!

You can unlock harder versions and new training programs after a few visits...

Then you can take on the brain age test itself you do three random tests:

-Word Memory: You have 2 minutes to memorize 30 words, and 3 minutes to write down as many as you can. I use visual images, it helps a lot!
-Stroop Test: Say the color of the word and not the color word itself!
-Speed Counting: How fast can you count to 120?
-Connect Maze: Connect the letters and numbers in order (A->1->B->2...) as fast as you can!
-Number cruncher: Pay attention to the numbers and answer the questions!
-CalculationsX20: Math won't hurt your brain no more!

After about a week, it's gone down to 26! And 20 is the best you can get!

Also there is Sudoku...