You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General The "I've finished both Shadow of the Colossus and ICO" thread *spoilers galore*

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2006, 03:43 PM   #1

Default The "I've finished both Shadow of the Colossus and ICO" thread *spoilers galore*

So, I've just completed SotC for the very first time and I completed ICO ages ago when it was new. I don't quite remember the full story of ICO, but I'm pretty sure there's a connection between the two games besides the obvious (baby boy with horns).

So, anyone have a theory? Is there an official explaination? Don't you think both these two games seriously kick ass?

Discuss
Old 02-27-2006, 11:38 PM   #2
Psychonaut

In an interview Fumito Ueda stated that Shadow of the Colossus is not a sequel to Ico. He consideres it more of a "spiritual successor." A review of the game by Tim Rogers[1] says,

"What Ueda wanted to do with his second game, Shadow of the Colossus, was evoke an emotion. That emotion was to be the same emotion Ico evoked. According to Ueda, it's impossible for him to go out and declare which emotion that is. It differs from player to player. Whatever Ico made you feel, Shadow of the Colossus will make you feel the same thing. If you claim it makes you feel something different, then, Ueda says, you must have grown up a little bit since you played Ico."
However, statements such as this haven't stopped players from considering that Shadow of the Colossus might be a prequel. A few in-game features suggest this may be true, but are open to interpretation.

Both games feature a fictional language spoken by the voice actors, and accompanied by subtitles in most instances.
Mono (from Shadow of the Colossus) and Yorda (from Ico) wear similar clothes.
The same can be said for Wander (from Shadow of the Colossus) and Ico (the title character from that game).
Architectural similarities exist between the two games, in that both prominently feature castles, statues, and ruins.
At the end of Shadow of the Colossus, Wander/Dormin is shown to have become a baby with horns.
The shadowy figures that surround Wander after he defeats a colossus are of a similar design to certain ghosts which rise to challenge Ico. The shadows in Shadow of the Colossus represent the portions of Dormin's power which Wander has released by killing the colossi; the shadows in Ico are the ghosts of previous horned children, already sacrificed, and bear an appearance closely resembling Dormin's resurrected body.
These last two, perhaps more than any other feature, lend themselves to the notion that the story of Shadow of the Colossus predates the story of Ico, in which the shunning and sacrifice of horned children is a major plot point. The other features may or may not carry weight on the issue, as it is arguably true that two games coming from the same designers are bound to have similarities.

----From Wikipedia
Old 02-28-2006, 01:12 PM   #3
ACK!

Send a message via MSN to Tanukitsune

I'm pretty sure Shadow of the Colossus is the prequel to Ico, and the baby is the hero in the next game....
Old 02-28-2006, 02:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonBlue
Don't you think both these two games seriously kick ass?
Indeed.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:41 PM   #5

Bah, you lucky PS2 owning assmonkeys! That's all I've got to say!