Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   General (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/)
-   -   Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/133-prince-persia-sands-time.html)

Intrepid Homoludens 09-15-2003 12:59 PM

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

http://www.gamespy.com/previews/july...amulti/04s.jpg http://www.gamespy.com/e32003/screen...eofpersias.jpg

This is the game that Tomb Raider: The Angel Of Darkness should have been!

You must watch the movies, it's the only way to understand. I think it's safe to say that once you see the action sequences that you control, your jaw will drop. You will be able to briefly run on walls, parallel bar swing, rope swing, somersault, bounce off surfaces, swordfight, often one acrobatic feat after another within the same breath......and if you happen to fall off a steep drop you have the ability to stop and rewind time itself to correct yourself. Every time I watch some of the in-game movies I'm left breathless. This is the game Tomb Raider: TAOD should have been. The in-game action scenes are almost exhausting to watch, and I can imagine holding my breath playing them. The gameworld? It has a seductive, soft dream-like quality to it, highly romantic. Let's hope UbiSoft sets another example with this game, they did a magnificent job with Splinter Cell, and XIII looks very promising. Oh, and the prince himself? http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/otn/love/mushy.gif OMG, he's a feckin' god!! I mean, click that screenshot above, why don't you?!! (imagine a buff Middle Eastern Johnny Depp)

The official site has just gone live, complete with screenshots, concept art, faq, movies, and general goodies. Warning: you need high speed connection, as it's a Flash site only. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time launches on all platforms in November.

Official site
Gamespy preview

Zygomaticus 09-15-2003 01:22 PM

[PS. your link to the official site links to one of the screenshots] :P

This game certainly looks awesome...although I doubt it would work on my current computer. Hopefully, it has the potential to entertain as much as good old Prince of Persia 1 did :D

Must...get...new...computer... :(

remixor 09-15-2003 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens

You mean Official site? ;)

twifkak 09-15-2003 01:48 PM

It took you long enough, Trep! I've been drooling over this since day one. Have you seen the E3 gameplay movies that IGN's got? Good stuff.

Also, it's the game Enter the Matrix should have been. I mean, come on, you control time, you run on walls, and it's all done with super fluid controls (say the critics who've played) and animation (says me, who's watched the movies). Seriously, seriously sexy stuff.

remixor 09-15-2003 02:30 PM

Quote:

The in-game action scenes are almost exhausting to watch, and I can imagine holding my breath playing them.

Which site did you find these on? The official site seemed only to have little test animations of the prince, and I couldn't find them on Gamespy either.

Intrepid Homoludens 09-15-2003 03:21 PM

krkode > So that's where it went! :P

twifzilla > I had posted about this game in the previous forum before it went down. I guess few people paid attention to it then. According to the hands-on previews I've read, the controls and character response and movement looked and felt - "And this is today's vocabulary lesson, folks!" - liquescently smooth.

remix-n-match > Try Gamer's Hell, 3D Gamers, Filefront, and Worthplaying.

twifkak 09-15-2003 03:51 PM

liquescence. I like it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by remix-n-match
Which site did you find these on? The official site seemed only to have little test animations of the prince, and I couldn't find them on Gamespy either.

Might as well add the comment I inappropriately directed at Intrepido -- to check out IGN. 1)You're going to have to disable cookies to pass their download-in-a-day limit, and 2)It's in their - "And this is today's purposeful-misuse-of-a-real-word lesson, fkols!" - crapulent quicktime format.

Yes, ok, well, I'm done here. *flies away*

remixor 09-15-2003 04:16 PM

I downloaded all the IGN videos without having to disable cookies. The resolution was pretty terrible, though. Despite that, they did look excellent and, Trep, I can see why you're so excited for this game.

Intrepid Homoludens 09-15-2003 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twifkak
Yes, ok, well, I'm done here. *flies away*

[Gets caught in the electrified net in midflight and dies in flames]

Trep: "Dammit, I forgot to take the albatross trap down again."

Quote:

Originally Posted by remixor
....Trep, I can see why you're so excited for this game.

Oh, so you've developed a crush on the Prince too, eh? Isn't he just sooo dreamy? http://www.smilies.okipages.com/s/otn/love/luxlove.gif

...... http://smilies.networkessence.net/s/...ckeye/hihi.gif

ysbreker 09-15-2003 09:38 PM

I saw some highres movies on TV here, and they looked awesome!
I had to ignore the lame ass comentator of the series tho. but it looks verrrrry promising. the way the prince moes is awesome, and there was this bit where he swings from one flagpole to another, you actually see the flagpole bend as he swings, brilliant!

ragnar 09-15-2003 10:14 PM

Is it Jordan Mechner who does this thing?

AGA 09-15-2003 10:26 PM

Jordan Mechner made his gaming industry debut with Prince of Persia, yeah.

ragnar 09-15-2003 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AGA
Jordan Mechner made his gaming industry debut with Prince of Persia, yeah.

Yes, but does he do *this* game that this thread is about?

twifkak 09-16-2003 02:12 AM

I know he wrote the story, and worked with the dev team to make sure the art/animation was up to his snuff. He may have written the script itself, but I'm not sure. He's on only as a consultant, though, and there's a physical barrier (that being distance of residence) to him being a full-timey.

BTW, Ubi Soft is looking pretty good. PoP:SoT, BG&E, XIII, Uru...

Kingzjester 09-16-2003 02:16 AM

Holy Fertile Mother of Santa Claus!

And yes, or so I have been hearing (in my head?), Mechner is working on this installment of the franchizze... shit, this may be another game for my list of games that my proverbial 'new graphic card' would want to experience...

Crunchy in milk 09-16-2003 04:58 AM

Quote:

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time launches on all platforms in November.

Not quite, Alain Corre at Ubisoft Europe decided to do a REGION exclusive deal with sony to make the console release of prince of persia (and beyond good and evil) available only on playstation 2 for the duration of 2003. Supposedly it won't effect the NTSC release of the game for all consoles.

A bloody lark really considering PAL releases (especially in Australia), take on average 2 months to get here anyway, which puts the pal release squarely in 2004. Colour me confused at the reason money changed hands for such a rediculous 'exclusive' period.

Ubisoft do nothing for their reputation by releasing bethesda's shitty rpgs on the xbox (Morrowind and Pirates of the Coast). Each have been released in both NTSC and PAL regions in Pre-Alpha status, I shit you not.

Moosferatu 09-16-2003 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kingzjester
Holy Fertile Mother of Santa Claus!

And yes, or so I have been hearing (in my head?), Mechner is working on this installment of the franchizze... shit, this may be another game for my list of games that my proverbial 'new graphic card' would want to experience...

If you are planning on getting a xbox to play Psychonauts, you could also experience it on that...

Kingzjester 09-16-2003 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crunchy in milk
Ubisoft do nothing for their reputation by releasing bethesda's shitty rpgs on the xbox (Morrowind and Pirates of the Coast). Each have been released in both NTSC and PAL regions in Pre-Alpha status, I shit you not.

Dude, Morrowind is a great game! What did you hate about it?

Crunchy in milk 09-16-2003 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kingzjester
Dude, Morrowind is a great game! What did you hate about it?

The exploration aspect is fun and the weather and night cycles where great. I found the combat pretty limiting however and it became extremely easy too early on, the npc's where like carboard with text written on them. There was little to no variation to gamestyle based on your choice of class or race, limiting replayability. On the xbox it was released with phenominal game altering bugs ranging from simple 'oops your map went totally black', to crashing the machine completely, to corrupting and losing your save game file.

The recent POTC release (formerly sea dogs 2) uses the engine morrowind is based on and has even MORE bugs than morrowind. I don't know how many games Bethesda and Ubisoft agreed to with each other, but I won't ever buy a bethesda product for any console until well after release, and the bug lists are in.

At the end of the year ubisoft will release the game of the year edition of Morrowind on xbox, which is the original plus 2 expansions. When I read about how all the same bugs and then some are in this release, Ill give up on bethesda products on console forever. Hopefully Ubisoft and Bethesda will do likewise.

Kingzjester 09-16-2003 05:19 PM

Well, the bugs sortof exist as a reminder that you actually have a life outside of the gameworld... I don't particularly mind the crashes... I am, however, bothered by the fact that no NPC does anything but stand and wait for me all the time and that there are no children on the entire freakin' continent, but other than that the game is quite beautiful and addictive. The 'limiting combat' - though indeed boring at level 20+ - is made for me. I dislike elaborate control schemes for sword manoeuvres et such...