You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2006, 06:43 PM   #1

Default X-Box and PC.

Hi everyone,

It's me, Zack, and I wanted to let you know that I got my computer back today from the repair shop from what felt like a three-week long repair.

I wasn't sure where to put this post of mine, so I decided to put it here in General Gaming. You are free to put it in the right place it belongs in if you need to. Anyway, my computer has been constantly freezing up, and I have not been able to move my mouse at all on the screen. so, I've been taking it to Compusa to see if they could fix it. But, for some reason, they could never figure out what was wrong with my computer. Of course, they were able to stop the freezes, but they couldn't find anything else wrong with it. Finally, last week, my Mom took my computer to a professional computer repair shop called "Computer Hut." They charge you for their repairs, but it felt like I had no choice but to see if they could figure out what was wrong with the computer. My dad told me on the phone this evening that Noland, the guy who worked on it, had discovered that the GeForce 6800 GT Video Card and my InstallShield Wizard had bad drivers on them. So, he took out everything that didn't need to stay on the computer, and re-installed the drivers, and also re-installed Microsoft AntiSpyware, and also heavily tweaked the computer for Computer Gaming. I turned the computer on after my Dad and I finished talking on the phone, and so far, it is working great. The price for the repair was about 201.00 dollars.

I also wanted to tell you that my next door neighbor Eric, sold me his X-Box (original, not 360) for 80 dollars on Saturday. He gave me a bunch of Demo Discs, and one full version of Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, even though I also have it for the PC. So, that's why I created this new thread, guys. I now have two gaming systems, my PC Gaming Computer, and my own personal X-Box!.

Now, I need to know what you guys think about the X-Box Gaming System, and also what games you recommend that I should play. Feel free to write whatever you feel, and let me say that I'm so happy that my computer is finally back home!.
Old 01-30-2006, 07:41 PM   #2
Club a seal or two

I think your story needs a twist ending.

I personally don't like Xbox. It has some excellent games, but most of them are also available on other platforms.
Old 01-30-2006, 07:48 PM   #3
merely human

First of all, congratulations on fixing your PC and on getting a lovely Xbox.

(Pssst - watch out for Dasilvsie, he might just pan you out of jealously because he's been pining for an old Xbox himself).

As for which games to get, on the top of my list for you are Psychonauts and Jade Empire. If your PC can handle it get Psychonauts for it (though it's just as marvelous if not more so on the Xbox, because you can simply sink into your sofa and play it that way). Jade Empire is Xbox exclusive; if you loved KOTOR you'll love it, you can get lost in the ancient mystical world of a China inspired RPG world in 3rd person 3D, and it has many little, often touching optional stories to find via side quests. I also recommend Fable, another action/RPG with a different, more dynamic, kind of morality based system.

Not sure if you're into 'pick-up-&-play' racers, but you should definitely go for Project Gotham Racing 2. It's beautiful and there's plenty of things to do. I've also heard good things about Forza Motorsport, though I've only played the demo. KOTOR II is great, but quite flawed and lacking in conistency in quality because it was rushed to deadline, but still very worth getting (though you can get the PC version, too). Crimson Skies: High Road To Revenge is awesome if you're into Indiana Jones style adventuring but with retro-futuristic airplanes and lots of dogfights.

You'll notice right away the difference between experiencing games on a PC and on a console. PC games tend to be more 'formal' in that you sit upright in your chair, and the worlds seem more intricate and demanding psychologically. Console games, on the other hand, are very, very convenient for just picking up and playing. You can just grab the controller, collapse on the sofa with a cold drink, and jump right into the game.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-30-2006, 09:08 PM   #4
Homer of Kittens

There are not that many unique great XBOX titles that are not available for the PC, but among the ones available I would also add Jade Empire and Psychonauts on the top of the list like Trep suggested.

I haven't played Call of Cthulhu but people seem to enjoy it. There is a brilliant game called Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath, one of the silent hitters of last year, another classic that no one bought. Of course there is Halo and Halo 2 if you are into multi-player FPS'es on a console.

There is a very old game by Sega on the system called Panzer Dragoon Orta which is amazing (if you can find it).

If you like racing games (even if you don't), don't miss out on burnout 3 takedown or burnout revenge, some of the most fun racing games out there. For more Sim like racing, Trep has already told you about Forza motorsport.

These are all the games I can think of for now.

Firefox rules
Old 01-31-2006, 04:24 AM   #5
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

You shouldnt get Fable for the Xbox, Fable:the lost chapters came out for the PC and its a third bigger adding more story...
Although I heard the Lost chapters also came out for the xbox but ive never seen it in any stores so im not sure.

Like soccer said, Burnout is a must! Its great not playing fair
Old 01-31-2006, 08:01 AM   #6
merely human

Oops, I forgot about Fable: The Lost Chapters and that it's available for PC, too. Means that you have a choice to enjoy richer graphics but have to sit upright in your chair, or be able to sink back into your sofa and relax with the Xbox version but with slightly less rich graphics.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-31-2006, 08:46 AM   #7
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

What?! PC are way better than the fugly Xboxs, sell your Xbox NOW! And get a PC upgrade ASAP.

And and...

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 01-31-2006, 12:02 PM   #8
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

The only Xbox game I would play is Panzer Dragoon Orta, get that one.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilva
What?! PC are way better than the fugly Xboxs, sell your Xbox NOW! And get a PC upgrade ASAP.

And and...
(I am standing very still, while Dasilva pans me on the head)

Nice try, Dasilva. Trep already warned me that you might start whining that I got an X-Box before you did, and I don't plan to sell it any time soon. Anyway, I'm now going to write a list of the games I have that are also on X-Box.

1. Fable: The Lost Chapters: I got the game for the PC on Christmas, along with it's Strategy Guide.
2. Psychonauts: I'm tempted to try it on the X-Box, but I already have it for the PC.
3. Star Wars-Knights of the old Republic I and II: Those two games I have for the PC. It's just a shame that the sequel is pretty buggy, which shows that it was a little incomplete, when it was shipped.
4. The Tom Clancy Splinter Cell Games: Best Non-Adventure Gaming series ever in my opinion. I didn't even know the first game was a port off of the X-Box.
5. The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay: I have the PC Developer's Cut of the game. I've never finished it, but I found it really exciting when I first started playing it.

Unless, I'm missing anything, I think those are the only games I have that were originally made for the X-Box, and then either ported or totally changed for the PC. Also, thanks very much for the recommendations, you guys, and I will consider them. Jade Empire is a game I most definitely want to try. One of the demo discs I have has a demo of that game, so I plan to play it.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
Of course there is Halo and Halo 2 if you are into multi-player FPS'es on a console.
I loved the single player Campaign of Halo, when I played it on my PC before it needed to be repaired. I thought Master Chief was an awesome hero, especially since he could head-butt the enemy if they got to close to me, or vice versa.

I would like to play Halo 2, but only to continue on with the story from the first game. I'm not a fan of multi-player.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:29 PM   #11
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Zack

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 01-31-2006, 01:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilva
Zack
Alright Dasilva, I know you're jealous that I got an X-Box before you did, but enough is enough. Now, stop hitting me with the pan.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:35 PM   #13
Aj_
Beyond Belief

Xbox has Jade Empire, Halo 2, the Project Gotham series and the Ninja Gaiden series. I think they're all must haves. There are a number of games that get released on the Xbox first, then the PC much later.

It's almost always true that the Xbox versions differ quite a lot from the PC versions of the same games, especially FPS games, Doom 3, Farcry: Instincts, Halo, and Half-Life 2. Playing a FPS on a console is far from playing one on a PC, they end up being completely different experiences.

Multiplatform games usually end up being far superior on the PC, because the PC has better graphics and processing power. Consoles have the advantage of requiring no adjustment in settings, and no install.

The difference between PC and Xbox graphics, a modern PC no more than 3 years old, is much greater than a slight change in resolution. Yes, the Xbox is 640x480, where a PC could be a variety of resolutions much greater than that, like 1024x768, 1280x1024(LCD), 1600x1200, 1920x1080(1080p, HD, widescreen). It's a lot more than that though, DirectX 8, the type of technology used on the Xbox, is a lot different to DirectX 9, an example is the water in HL2. There's a large disparity in the ammount of polygons and the quality of textures you can use on a PC compared to a Xbox. There's also a great difference in the quality of a PC display, compared to a TV.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:35 PM   #14
SEARCHING ON

You wanted opinion and mine is simply No to xbox and yes to pc.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:43 PM   #15

I played the demo for Jade Empire yesterday afternoon, and it was really cool. I finished the demo on one of the characters that is balanced on both fighting, and magic, and so far, it looks like that's the type of character that will serve me best once I buy the game.

AND I DO PLAN TO BUY IT SOMEDAY!. Thanks for the recommendation, trep.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:49 PM   #16
merely human

Someday? You can find the Limited Edition of Jade Empire most anywhere for cheap! EB Games sells it for $20, Gamestop for $18.