You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Take 2 swallows Irrational

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2006, 01:36 PM   #1
Homer of Kittens

Default Take 2 swallows Irrational

There goes my favorite current developer. I'm really not sure if I am happy or sad about this news, but at least it wasn't EA. There is no more room for independent developers in this world.

Firefox rules
Old 01-09-2006, 01:42 PM   #2
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Oh no. Take 2? Well if EA took them at least we know they would be in good hands, EA is not all that bad. Beware of Vivendi.

I hope this won't greatly effect the development of Bioshock.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 01-09-2006, 01:45 PM   #3
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

On the bright side, their press release confirms that they are going to publish Bioshock, as well as giving a projected release date...

Quote:
Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. Acquires Irrational Games

Acclaimed Developer Joins 2K's Roster of Development Studios

New York, NY – January 9, 2006 – Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO) today announced the acquisition of Irrational Games, the award-winning development studio behind such titles as System Shock 2 and Freedom Force. Irrational Games joins the team of development studios under Take-Two's 2K Games publishing label.

2K Games has multiple titles in development at Irrational's North American and Australian studios. The first title to be published under the 2K Games label will be BioShock, a role-playing shooter for next-generation console systems and PC. Already anticipated by the gaming press as one of the most innovative next-generation titles, BioShock is planned for release in early 2007.

"We saw a rare opportunity with Irrational Games, a development studio that has consistently produced creative and original games," said Christoph Hartmann, Managing Director at 2K Games. Susan Lewis, VP of Business Development at 2K Games, added, "2K Games will provide additional resources and support to the Irrational team so they may continue to deliver cutting-edge games."

"We are excited to be aligned with a publishing label like 2K Games that shares similar development goals and vision," said Ken Levine, co-founder and President of Irrational Games. "Fans will be blown away when they see the next-generation titles we are working on."

About Irrational Games

With offices in Boston, Massachusetts and Canberra, Australia, Irrational Games is widely recognized as one of the industry's leading game developers. Irrational has earned a reputation for creating story-driven, genre-defining games with award-winning hits like System Shock 2, Freedom Force, Tribes: Vengeance and SWAT 4. For more information, visit www.IrrationalGames.com.

About Take-Two Interactive Software

Headquartered in New York City, Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. is an integrated global developer, marketer, distributor and publisher of interactive entertainment software games and accessories for the PC, PlayStation® game console, PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system, PSP™ (PlayStation®Portable) system, the Xbox® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, the Xbox 360™ video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, Nintendo GameCube™, Nintendo DS™ and Game Boy® Advance. The Company publishes and develops products through its wholly owned labels Rockstar Games, 2K Games, 2K Sports and Global Star Software; and distributes products in North America through its Jack of All Games subsidiary. Take-Two also manufactures and markets video game accessories in Europe, North America and the Asia Pacific region through its Joytech subsidiary. The Company maintains sales and marketing offices in Cincinnati, New York, Toronto, London, Paris, Munich, Madrid, Vienna, Milan, Sydney, Breda (Netherlands) and Auckland. Take-Two's common stock is publicly traded on NASDAQ under the symbol TTWO. For more corporate and product information please visit our website at www.take2games.com.

All trademarks and copyrights contained herein are the property of their respective holders.

Safe Harbor Statement under the Private Securities Reform Act of 1995: This press release contains forward-looking statements made in reliance upon the safe harbor provisions of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended, and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended. The statements contained herein which are not historical facts are considered forward-looking statements under federal securities laws. Such forward-looking statements are based on the beliefs of our management as well as assumptions made by and information currently available to them. The Company has no obligation to update such forward-looking statements. Actual results may vary significantly from these forward-looking statements based on a variety of factors. These important factors are described in the Company's Form 10-Q for the quarter ended July 31, 2005 in the section entitled "Cautionary Statement and Risk Factors".

It could be worse. While me saying that a publisher is a good one is tempting fate indeed (cue a slump in the quality of their output), 2KGames are perhaps the best company to get their hands on Irrational. And maybe they will let Irrational work as it has done up until now, only with financial security. Hey, a guy can dream, right?

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 01-09-2006, 01:50 PM   #4
Homer of Kittens

I really want another Freedom Force. Hopefully, Take 2 won't kill that awesome franchise.

Firefox rules
Old 01-09-2006, 02:08 PM   #5
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Isn't this like good news?
This means that BioShock will actually come someday and also other great Irrational games are on the way because of this deal.

Take2 is one the better companies out there.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 01-09-2006, 02:13 PM   #6
Burning

Take 2 is buying quality developers though, first Firaxis, now Irrational. I hope, they at least maintain some sort of creative freedom.
Old 01-09-2006, 02:13 PM   #7
Homer of Kittens

You know what would suck if it ever happens?
<Headline> EA takes over Take 2 games </Headline>

Firefox rules
Old 01-09-2006, 02:48 PM   #8
SamNMax

... is EA really that bad?

Old 01-09-2006, 02:52 PM   #9
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamNMax
... is EA really that bad?
They are a monopoly (or on their way to become one), and monopolies in any field are bad to us the consumers.

Firefox rules
Old 01-09-2006, 02:53 PM   #10
SamNMax

Hey, you gotta do what you gotta do. If that's how they're gonna win it, more power to them.

Old 01-09-2006, 02:53 PM   #11
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
You know what would suck if it ever happens?
<Headline> EA takes over Take 2 games </Headline>
Haha, it could happen you know. Vivendi recently aquired High Moon Studios, too. But you never know EA games and VU could easilly take over Take 2, they would probably do it for kicks and put the game rights in a vault and never use it.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 01-09-2006, 03:02 PM   #12
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Hey, you gotta do what you gotta do. If that's how they're gonna win it, more power to them.
Yeah it's power to them, but not to you and me. If there is a monopoly, they can sell games for 80 bucks and no one can stop them from doing that.

Firefox rules
Old 01-09-2006, 03:03 PM   #13
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Why does one need to beware of Vivendi? Or are people just going to go into a "BECUASE THEY DON'T MAKE ADVENTURE GAMES!!!!!1one!" rant?

Old 01-09-2006, 03:05 PM   #14
SamNMax

Quote:
Yeah it's power to them, but not to you and me. If there is a monopoly, they can sell games for 80 bucks and no one can stop them from doing that.
And?

So don't buy them. Their games aren't usually all that good.

Old 01-09-2006, 03:10 PM   #15
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
And?

So don't buy them. Their games aren't usually all that good.
Do I have an option? Unless I am to quit my favorite hobby.

Firefox rules
Old 01-09-2006, 03:11 PM   #16
SamNMax

Oh, I thought you were just talking about EA.

Otherwise, explain how this can happen.

Old 01-09-2006, 03:13 PM   #17
The Thread™ will die.

Quote:
Do I have an option? Unless I am to quit my favorite hobby.
I think you're overexaggerating the threat here. There are always going to be independent developers and publishers because nobody wants to see a monopoly (possibly even including EA).

Old 01-09-2006, 03:18 PM   #18
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
I think you're overexaggerating the threat here. There are always going to be independent developers and publishers because nobody wants to see a monopoly (possibly even including EA).
I am definitely exaggerating, but it can happen. We have seen Ubisoft up for grabs and its CEO expressing his willingness to join EA. If a publisher as big as Ubisoft can be bought, who can stop them from buying out other ones.

Firefox rules
Old 01-09-2006, 03:21 PM   #19
The Thread™ will die.

Quote:
I am definitely exaggerating, but it can happen. We have seen Ubisoft up for grabs and its CEO expressing his willingness to join EA. If a publisher as big as Ubisoft can be bought, who can stop them from buying out other ones.
The CEO may have expressed willingness at various times, but everyone else in the industry (with the obvious exception of EA) seems to be against the idea. Sure, publishers can be bought, but new publishers take their place.

Old 01-09-2006, 03:35 PM   #20
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
The CEO may have expressed willingness at various times, but everyone else in the industry (with the obvious exception of EA) seems to be against the idea. Sure, publishers can be bought, but new publishers take their place.
Of course everyone in the industry will be against the transaction, but when it passes through, no one can do anything about it. Do you remember what Ubisoft's CEO's answer was at the very begginning? It was something like No way in hell would I sell. Now he says he is willing to do it. If the CEO himself says that, what can everyone else do?
Everyone was complaining and whining about the NFL licence, but then Madden sells like it never sold before this year. We are definitely not at a stage were EA is a monopoly, but at the rate they are going, they sure are not far from becoming one. They just bought the biggest publisher in the cellphone games market (Jamdat).

Firefox rules