You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Some 360's crashing?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2005, 02:44 PM   #1
Homer of Kittens

Default Some 360's crashing?

I was browsing another forum when I saw this
some 360's are crashing

It has been reported by a few people on that forum and even by people on Team-XBOX. Still people don't know what was the cause. I guess it's to be expected with a new piece of hardware, but it's something to think about.

Firefox rules
Old 11-23-2005, 02:52 PM   #2
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I hope for Microsoft's sake this is something easily solvable. Imagine if they had to recall the hardware ...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 11-23-2005, 03:08 PM   #3
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Are you sure thats not just a screenshot fro the new matrix game?

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 11-23-2005, 03:22 PM   #4
Hoopy frood

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
I hope for Microsoft's sake this is something easily solvable. Imagine if they had to recall the hardware ...
It's probably something that can be fixed with a patch from Xbox Live or something. Or, as they're doing with the emulation garbage, have it available to be downloaded to the Xbox, downloaded to a PC and burned to a CD, or shipped to the user on a CD.

I don't know what the problem is, and so I hate to be judgmental without knowing the facts, but you'd think Microsoft would have worked things like this out. I mean, if it's that easy to trigger that it's happening within the first few days of 360 ownership, how hard would it be to overlook during testing?
Old 11-23-2005, 03:25 PM   #5
merely human

I'm just giggling at the thought of how the PS3 and Nintendolution fanwhores are taking this.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 11-23-2005, 03:45 PM   #6
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by reno6
It's probably something that can be fixed with a patch from Xbox Live or something. Or, as they're doing with the emulation garbage, have it available to be downloaded to the Xbox, downloaded to a PC and burned to a CD, or shipped to the user on a CD.
But they can't do a download (unless it's a BIOS flash) because the Xbox has no hard drive by default!

But, yes, I suspect a small download will fix the problem.

Old 11-23-2005, 04:06 PM   #7

That doesn't seem to be the problem.
Check this guy's post
http://forum.teamxbox.com/showpost.p...4&postcount=79
http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread...4&page=6&pp=15
Old 11-23-2005, 04:09 PM   #8
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

So it's recall time. Not the best way to launch a games console ...

Old 11-23-2005, 07:45 PM   #9
Hoopy frood

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
But they can't do a download (unless it's a BIOS flash) because the Xbox has no hard drive by default!
Wow... I'm so used to Xboxes having hard drives, I hadn't even thought of this. If this is the road they take, then, I hope those affected shilled out that extra $100.

Way to go Microsoft. I hope Sony learns something from this. If I start reading reports about PlayStation 3 disc read errors after its launch, I will die laughing.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:59 PM   #10
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by reno6
Way to go Microsoft. I hope Sony learns something from this. If I start reading reports about PlayStation 3 disc read errors after its launch, I will die laughing.
If it ain't one thing it's another. If it ain't Sony getting their ass sued over patent rights infringements in the U.S. over the force feedback technology, it's Microsoft having to deal with crashes on their new consoles while they're still warm out of the box.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 11-23-2005, 08:55 PM   #11
Jack Bauer loves you

Send a message via AIM to artwking4

Hehe... maybe the 360's are crashing because people were using them to play Sony's music CD's with that DRM rootkit crap. Sabotage?
Old 11-23-2005, 08:56 PM   #12
Banned User

I've heard of some freezing as well. Maybe it's not so bad that I didn't get one at launch?

Perhaps me > SamNMax? Bwah hah hahh....

But like the one guy said, for every one that breaks, 50,000 work, so I dunno.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:06 PM   #13
Squeaky

I hope Paris Hilton's is going OK
Old 11-23-2005, 10:02 PM   #14
merely human

Yes, I hope so too. I'll be losing sleep tonight just worrying for her.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:26 PM   #15
Super Moderator

From the Washington Post - November 24, 2005:

Gamers Seeing Glitches in New Xbox

Quote:
Microsoft's Xbox 360, the much-anticipated video game system that made its debut earlier this week, is apparently experiencing some technical glitches -- screens freezing only minutes into a game, for example -- and that has left some users pretty upset.
Quote:
One owner complained that his new console tries to read the shooter game Perfect Dark Zero as a DVD movie.
Quote:
Microsoft played down the number of complaints it has gotten from Xbox 360 users yesterday, saying the company has received only "a few, isolated reports" of Xbox 360 consoles with problems.

"The call rate is well below what you'd expect for a consumer electronics product of this complexity," said Microsoft spokeswoman Molly O'Donnell.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:45 PM   #16
Aj_
Beyond Belief

Not that I don't think PR would blatently spin the truth, but a few guys on a forum does not a flawed product make. Most recently, the iPod Nano had a serious flaw, the media bloated the number of affected units out of all proportions. Until more infomation arrives I'm not putting tis on the same level as the PS2 forever breaking optical drives, or the Xbox's burning power supplies.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:47 PM   #17
Living with my love

Send a message via MSN to Tobbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryscars
I've heard of some freezing as well. Maybe it's not so bad that I didn't get one at launch?
Perhaps me > SamNMax? Bwah hah hahh....
You know that´s not ever going to happen don´t you??
Old 11-24-2005, 12:08 AM   #18
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Just like Microsoft to release a product which crashes often for no good reason. Old habits die hard.
Old 11-24-2005, 12:42 AM   #19
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

The on-screen glitching would seem to indicate a problem with overheating. It's quite a common symptom for video RAM to be overwritten with garbage in that situation - as it's just video RAM, you get random glitches on the screen. As soon as the same thing happens to system RAM, you get a nasty crash...

It won't surprise me if the problem turns out to be overheating, I said all along that you can't shove 3 processors and a GPU in a small console case without it having enough fans to power a small zeppelin.
Old 11-24-2005, 04:26 AM   #20
ACK!

Send a message via MSN to Tanukitsune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
I'm just giggling at the thought of how the PS3 and Nintendolution fanwhores are taking this.
Indeed!
MUA HA HA HA HA!

MUA HA HA HA HA!

Actually I don't give a D...

EDIT: WHA? Nearly 15% are defected? That's INSANE!

Last edited by Tanukitsune; 11-24-2005 at 04:32 AM.