Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   General (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/)
-   -   The Whole Launch Day Ordeal (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/11960-whole-launch-day-ordeal.html)

SakSquash 11-22-2005 11:06 AM

The Whole Launch Day Ordeal

So we started at 5 p.m., and the first place we went to was a small city called Newburg. I figured that since I had left 7 hours before launch, there was no way I wouldn't get one. I guess I didn't understand how huge it was.

When we got there, there was a huge line of people at Wal-Mart. Some guy towards the front was selling his seat for $300. I couldn't believe how many people were there. I asked an employee if there was any point in staying and he said "Nope. You might as well go back home and go to bed."

As odd as that was, we left and decided to try Fishkill, the next town over. Now, I had the impression that Fishkill, based on its name, was probably going to be an obscure small town, and there would be my chance to strike gold. I get to the Wal-Mart there, and there was an even bigger line. The line went from layaway, which was in the middle of the store, all the way to the end of the store, and curled around down the other way. There were 17 premiums available and over 200 people in line. Employees kept telling them to go home, that there wasn't a chance, but they stayed anyway hoping for credit card malfunction.

After that, we went to stores like Best Buy and Circuit city, both of which said they had sold out hours ago, which was strange, considering it was still the 21st.

So we decided to go to Poughkeepsie and try out their Best Buy and Circuit City. Same deal there. Then we thought, well what about Target? Nobody ever thinks of Target. So we go, and when we get there at about 8:30, we find that nobody is there. There is no line. We talk to an employee and they said that people weren't allowed to line up until 11 p.m., and tickets wouldn't be handed out until 6 a.m. We asked if we could wait out there anyway, and he said no, and that anyone caught waiting around outside would be kicked off the lot. So we waited, bought some food for the campout, and at about 9:30, when we stepped outside to take the bags to the car, what did we see? Yup, a line had formed. I walked up to it to ask what was going on and the dude in first said "There aren't any premiums left! They're ours!"

There was a security guard out there, and when I asked him about not being able to line up until 11, he said "The corporate offices decided to change their policy." I was so ****ing mad; I wanted to smash all their faces in the pizza that was being handed out to them. But then the guard says "Try Woodbury Commons in Monroe, I just got a call from them saying that there wasn't anyone waiting for theirs and they have 20 premiums and 20 core systems.

I asked how far away that was, and he said about 30 minutes. Now, we've already traveled wayyy off our course, so we decided to go for it. When we got there, we found there were people, and they were making a list numbering people in the order that they came. I was number 20. I thought I was finally in. Everyone kept saying they had 20 and 20.

So, we formed a line outside of the store, all in our numbered positions. It was freezing. I don't know exactly how cold it was in terms of degrees, but it couldn't have been more than 40F. Then, it started to rain. People were freezing. Then, all the people in line decided that since their name was on their self created list, that they would all go to their cars and stay warm and sleep. Not me though. I thought there was no way I would come this far and lose it because I sat in the car. I stayed out there, soaked, towels wrapped around my feet because my socks had gotten soaked along with my shoes, with no umbrella while everyone else slept in their cars, including the 6 high school students who were in front of me on the list, all there to buy their Xboxes so they could sell them on eBay. I was there for the love of gaming, and I was pretty convinced that I would be getting one.

At about an hour before ticket time, I found out that one of the guys waiting in line was a Microsoft guy. This guy was high up in the food chain. He even knew guys from OXM and gamestop. He explained to us that he believed the shortages were caused by a faulty plug on the headset, and that he had to organize the recall to fix the problem. I asked what the hell he was doing in line, and he said "Trust me. Nobody except for the very top guys is given an Xbox."

My girlfriend came back from her trip from Wal-Mart and had bought a huge ring shaped sandwich and chocolate covered pretzels for everyone in line.

Soon after that, the employees at target came up to the window we were all lined up by and started to mock us. Long story short, there was almost a brawl.

Ticket time came, and the manager announced that they had 18 premiums and 20 core systems. I took a core system ticked, but I didn't want the ****ing thing. In a daze I walked around looking at it. I decided it was time to go home. I gave the ticked to a sad looking guy with dreadlocks who didn't even give a ticket. He gave me a huge huge and thanked me endlessly. I got in the car, and my girlfriend drove us home after a long night.

It's odd. Even though I was angry and upset at both Target and Microsoft for various things, I still wasn't that mad about it. I met a lot of cool and nice people that night, of all ages, and the fact that I had the love of my life with me through the whole thing made it all seem ok.

Oh wait...except, now i'm sick. So yeah, that sucks.

Intrepid Homoludens 11-22-2005 11:10 AM

And you're expecting sympathy?

HA!! Just kidding, beeyatch. Don't worry, I'm rooting for you and Maxsie to be the first here at AG to own a 360. Besides, who the hell must I live through vicariously til I get my own 360 in several months?

(((((tempslut)))))

SoccerDude28 11-22-2005 11:12 AM

If it makes you feel any better:

http://pictures.xbox-scene.com/xbox3...75_600_400.jpg

hahahahahaha :D

me :pan: :pan: :pan:

SakSquash 11-22-2005 11:14 AM

I'm not expecting anything. Just retelling it as it happened.

Intrepid Homoludens 11-22-2005 11:16 AM

Your girlfriend is the sweetest thing for feeding those people in line with you.

SoccerDude28 11-22-2005 11:19 AM

By the way, I really don't understand it. What's the obsession with getting a console at launch. Is there such a dearth of good games on current gen systems and the PC, that people can't wait a couple of months. SOME PEOPLE ARE PAYING 2000 dollars on eBay. I just cannot understand how some people think. :crazy:

Lucien21 11-22-2005 11:21 AM

Sorry dude.

I hope it's not that bad over here, but I guess it will be.

I'm not that desperate for it.

I might look on Launch day, but if I don't get one. i'll get it after christmas.

Intrepid Homoludens 11-22-2005 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
By the way, I really don't understand it. What's the obsession with getting a console at launch. Is there such a dearth of good games on current gen systems and the PC, that people can't wait a couple of months. SOME PEOPLE ARE PAYING 2000 dollars on eBay. I just cannot understand how some people think. :crazy:

It's partly the buzz. It's no different from waiting 2 days in line for opening night for a new Star Wars movie.

SakSquash 11-22-2005 11:23 AM

It's just that i've never gotten a console on launch day in my life. I've never been able to afford it. This was my chance to do it. Plus, I REALLY wanna play Condemned.

Lucien21 11-22-2005 11:25 AM

What other industry does this happen to.

Maybe movies, but can you imagine having to pre-order the later Zannussi Fridge Freezer and queuing for 20 hours to get one.

It's ridiculous.

SakSquash 11-22-2005 11:26 AM

It is. Which is why i'll probably never do it again.

Lucien21 11-22-2005 11:29 AM

I heard someone tried to hold up an EBGames at gunpoint and stole 2 Xbox360's

They got caught I think.

Intrepid Homoludens 11-22-2005 11:32 AM

What really pisses me off is how the stores have handled this, from Gamestop's arbitrary and unprofessional pre-order system (where it seems like the sales clerks pull the conditions out of their asses), to Target suddenly changing their mind about when customers can form a line.

SakSquash 11-22-2005 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
What really pisses me off is how the stores have handled this, from Gamestop's arbitrary and unprofessional pre-order system (where it seems like the sales clerks pull the conditions out of their asses), to Target suddenly changing their mind about when customers can form a line.

Exactly. It screwed a lot of people over.

In the Walmart down the street from us, people had been waiting there for more than 24 hours and then, a few hours before midnight, Walmart dropped the bomb that they were doing a raffel system. So even if you had gotten there first, the number one guy, you didn't have any more of a chance than the guy at the end of the line.

It's funny too. Old ladies and random non gamers were walking up to the thing, thinking is was a prize raffel and entered their names. One person who won was like "Oh, I have to buy this? I don't want it."

And the Target employees making fun of us was great too. :shifty:

Hamham Chan 11-22-2005 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by temporaryscars
My girlfriend came back from her trip from Wal-Mart and had bought a huge ring shaped sandwich and chocolate covered pretzels for everyone in line.

That´s really kind of her.:)

Quote:

a huge ring shaped sandwich
A sandwich shaped like a ring?

Lucien21 11-22-2005 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hamham Chan
That´s really kind of her.:)

Isn't that a Bagel. :9~

Temp must have a very good girlfriend as he dragged her across the state for hours and she even gets the sarnies.

What a woman. :D

Hamham Chan 11-22-2005 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucien21
Isn't that a Bagel. :9~

Mmmm, bagels are delicious.
I could go for one right now.:9~

fov 11-22-2005 01:10 PM

The guy I was dating back when the PS2 came out waited all night in line at the Metreon so he could buy one when the Sony store opened at 6:00 in the morning. He turned around and sold it on eBay. I didn't think the profit he made ($100 or $200, I can't remember) was worth waiting on the sidewalk all night in the rain.

EDIT: This sure does happen in other industries. Don't you guys remember the uproar over Cabbage Patch Kids and Tickle-Me Elmo? People got beat up and trampled trying to buy those things for their kids.

Sage 11-22-2005 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hamham Chan

A ring about half a metre across. They're big.

SakSquash 11-22-2005 03:20 PM

Look, forget about the sandwhich. It's not the point. Plus, it wasn't even that good.

I wonder how SamNMax did. He must have gotten one since we haven't heard from him.