You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General The Whole Launch Day Ordeal

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2005, 07:28 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
It's partly the buzz. It's no different from waiting 2 days in line for opening night for a new Star Wars movie.
It's pretty stupid, then.

Still, that's a nice story.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:44 AM   #42

i got hired by gamestop a couple weeks ago. they told me right in the interview that i was being hired to work this launch. 25 consoles for a gamestop right across the street from the massive millenia mall (tm) in the middle of orlando. hyah.

i never got past paperwork day. being low man on the totem would undoubtedly have made me ambassador to 'the people microsoft forgot'. no thanks, i don't need to be personally responsible little johnny's ruined christmas. after hearing some of the stories about this launch, i feel vindicated.

besides, i would have felt dirty working in a retail store this friday on national buy nothing day.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:14 PM   #43
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by footawn
i got hired by gamestop a couple weeks ago.
Hate you. I applied at Gamecrazy nearly 3 months ago. They never called me.

I think I was overqualified anyway.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 11-23-2005, 02:58 PM   #44
Banned User

I applied to gamestop a while back to, but I put on my application i'd only work until 6 because that when I thought it closed, but it closes at 9, so I think that screwed me.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:50 PM   #45
Epinionated.

Temps, thanks for the story. Sorry to hear it. You and your girl deserve a 360 come xmas I think... that guy giving you a hug! LOL! Nice one.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:50 PM   #46
Banned User

Heh, the guy was on the verge of crying. I'm glad I made his night.
Old 11-24-2005, 12:35 AM   #47
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Quote:
It's no different from waiting 2 days in line for opening night for a new Star Wars movie.
And is that sane?

But seriously, wouldn't it make more sense to wait 'til a few good games come out, to be sure that it's worth the obscene price tag?
Old 11-24-2005, 01:08 AM   #48
merely human

It's the only way it would work for me. Since the release of Oblivion was postponed (it would've been the singular game I'd get a 360 for at the outset) I have no compelling reason to go through the hassle tempsie did. But even if it were ready and launched I can't see myself waiting in line 20 hours after pre-ordering, then having to do a lottery, then risking going home empty handed.

The early adapters are also ultimately the guinea pigs, and I'm not interested in being a guinea pig anymore. By the time I get my own 360 a bunch of technicalities should be ironed out then.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 11-24-2005, 01:20 AM   #49

Quote:
It's the only way it would work for me. Since the release of Oblivion was postponed (it would've been the singular game I'd get a 360 for at the outset) I have no compelling reason to go through the hassle tempsie did. But even if it were ready and launched I can't see myself waiting in line 20 hours after pre-ordering, then having to do a lottery, then risking going home empty handed.

The early adapters are also ultimately the guinea pigs, and I'm not interested in being a guinea pig anymore. By the time I get my own 360 a bunch of technicalities should be ironed out then.
Since Oblivion will be out for the PC, is it really worth buying a console just to play it?
Of course, that's assuming you've got what it takes to run it on your PC, so to speak, which I doubt.
Old 11-24-2005, 01:43 AM   #50
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
Since Oblivion will be out for the PC, is it really worth buying a console just to play it?
Yes. You forget that some of us prefer to game on consoles, or both PC and console. For me, Oblivion is not just one game, but the game that'll introduce me to the next gen console gaming lifestyle. And yeah, with upcoming titles like Alan Wake, Test Drive Unlimited, Bioware's Mass Effect, and all the other as of yet unknown titles I'll want in the next several years, do you honestly think I want the rig just for one game?

Quote:
Of course, that's assuming you've got what it takes to run it on your PC, so to speak, which I doubt.
The operative word here is 'choice'. My PC right now is an 'ancient' Athlon desktop with a GeForce4 Ti card. It can run games, but not anything from the past 2-3 years that's graphically demanding. But even if it were the latest rig I'd still consider Oblivion for Xbox 360, mainly because of how relaxing it is to game on the console while lounging on the sofa.

But as is the case in my life now, I've decided to get a notebook to replace my old desktop. This is because I use a PC for things other than, and in addition to, gaming - my writing, online research, etc. etc. - so that I'm not hard pressed to find the most bleeding edge hardware. And with a notebook I can go to the nearest wi-fi cafe and do work, and still have the luxury of taking a break to play some No One Lives Forever 2 deathmatch online. I want it to be that I'll get to play some relatively recent PC games on it.

That said, the 360, I've decided, will be my primary gaming rig from then on. Because it's so powerful, and because there's none of the annoying shit you'd have to deal with PC games (compatability, outdated hardware, etc.), I can simply plop down on the sofa, pick up the controller, and jump right in. And my notebook will be right next to me in case I wanna say hi to you in the forums.
Old 11-24-2005, 02:01 AM   #51

Quote:
But even if it were the latest rig I'd still consider Oblivion for Xbox 360, mainly because of how relaxing it is to game on the console while lounging on the sofa.
I'm not sure about this sofa thing. Oblivion, if it's similar to Morrowind, is a solitary game, that need intimacy, and proximity with the screen

Quote:
and because there's none of the annoying shit you'd have to deal with PC games (compatability, outdated hardware, etc.)
I've always found console clumsy, slow, with very few interesting games...

My momma raised a PC lover.
Old 11-24-2005, 02:17 AM   #52
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
I'm not sure about this sofa thing. Oblivion, if it's similar to Morrowind, is a solitary game, that need intimacy, and proximity with the screen
Erm, that doesn't doesn't make any sense. Sounds like you're rationalizing. Besides, I can hook up the console to my PC screen and play it that way, and with a notebook I can lounge back on the sofa so I can still experience that it "...is a solitary game, that need intimacy, and proximity with the screen."

HA!!!

Quote:
I've always found console clumsy, slow, with very few interesting games...

My momma raised a PC lover.
My sympathies.

My momma raised an intelligent gamer who knows of the options available to him.
Old 11-24-2005, 04:35 AM   #53

Quote:
Erm, that doesn't doesn't make any sense. Sounds like you're rationalizing.
I was half joking, but it's true that I like to be close to my screen when gaming.

Quote:
My sympathies.

My momma raised an intelligent gamer who knows of the options available to him.
Oh, I know the options alright. An fast, adaptable machine that allows me to play 30 years of games of every kind, or a slow, soon-to-be-outdated machine what will only run a few shiny, uninteresting (to me) action games. And which don't have keyboard and mouse, but instead stupid gamepads.

Seriously, if it weren't for the silly games like Dance Generation or Eye Toy, and some rare RPGs like Final Fantasy, I would never even contemplate putting my money in a console. As it stands, I might buy a PS2 some day, but that's doubtful.
Old 11-24-2005, 08:01 AM   #54
Super Moderator

Quote:
The only thing I can add to the conversation (since I've never had a console) is what a CUTE guinea pig that is!!!!

Old 11-24-2005, 10:04 AM   #55
Epinionated.

@Ninth - When you look at the power of a 360 and the backlog of quality xbox games, along with the price (here in the UK I doubt they're retain that £39.99 tag for long, that's the way it's always been and tbh Megadrive SNES games were more than that at one point), then it's actually much cheaper than upgrading a PC with a new mobo, cpu, faster memory and a g-card which'll be outdated in 6 months. A 360 provides conveniece.

You're introducing personal argument and preferences into a general question you asked, and aren't being fair on Trep's own idea of what he finds comfortable. I really want to upgrade my PC, but tbh I'm getting sick of doing so and the 360 is an equal to what I could upgrade to for the price, in fact it's cheaper. That's my reasoning for preordering one.

Your argument is also resoundingly flat. You make it seem as though the PS2 and Xbox's are full of "mindless" action titles. There's far more to them than that, and you know it. The PC has equal amounts of shit.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:24 PM   #56

despite the fact that i never actually worked a day there, i doubt anyone is actually missing out on anything by NOT working at gamestop.

what was i thinking when i applied for that job?

<shudder>
Old 11-24-2005, 11:46 PM   #57
Epinionated.

I worked at NHS Direct on a phone team accepting calls from worried/seething patients who'd received a letter explaining that they needed HIV tests because their doctor/health worker who'd been working with them in an area where they were at risk had Aids. So, y'know, there are WORSE jobs out there than not being able to sell toys to overpriveleged kids.
Old 11-25-2005, 12:07 AM   #58
merely human

Being laid off from two good jobs before and subsequently living hand to mouth, working at Gamestop isn't a bad idea for me at all. You learn to appreciate more humble things when the grand things are taken away from you.

Quote:
Brian Donaldson was born in southern California, but he lived in Scotland as a boy. He returned to California for college, and for most of his adult life, he worked in Silicon Valley as a software engineer. He could afford the rent in this gated apartment complex -- until he was laid off, collateral damage in the dot-com bust.

He's 52, his health is poor and his skills are outdated. His savings have vanished, and without medical insurance, Donaldson has racked up huge medical bills. Yet he doesn't even qualify for food stamps. His monthly disability check -- about $1,650 -- puts him over the income limit. Housing is his biggest problem, with 80 percent of his check going to his $1,320 monthly rent.
Housing Costs Play Role in Urban Hunger, from the series Hunger in America NPR.org
Old 11-25-2005, 02:25 AM   #59
Chris Barraclough

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
I worked at NHS Direct on a phone team accepting calls from worried/seething patients who'd received a letter explaining that they needed HIV tests because their doctor/health worker who'd been working with them in an area where they were at risk had Aids. So, y'know, there are WORSE jobs out there than not being able to sell toys to overpriveleged kids.
Jeez, that's a pretty sucky job alright. I hate working call centre jobs, I used to work for one taking calls from angry farmers wanting compensation from their foot-in-mouth diseased cattle. And whenever I get pissed off at my current job I always think back to the 16-hour factory shifts I did over summers at uni. It sucks being poor!

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk
Old 11-25-2005, 02:32 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
@Ninth - When you look at the power of a 360 and the backlog of quality xbox games, along with the price (here in the UK I doubt they're retain that £39.99 tag for long, that's the way it's always been and tbh Megadrive SNES games were more than that at one point), then it's actually much cheaper than upgrading a PC with a new mobo, cpu, faster memory and a g-card which'll be outdated in 6 months. A 360 provides conveniece.

You're introducing personal argument and preferences into a general question you asked, and aren't being fair on Trep's own idea of what he finds comfortable. I really want to upgrade my PC, but tbh I'm getting sick of doing so and the 360 is an equal to what I could upgrade to for the price, in fact it's cheaper. That's my reasoning for preordering one.

Your argument is also resoundingly flat. You make it seem as though the PS2 and Xbox's are full of "mindless" action titles. There's far more to them than that, and you know it. The PC has equal amounts of shit.
A PC isn't outdated in 6 months, if you're not always after the last new shiny cutting edge game. And when you update it, you can still play every PC game ever produced, and more (even console games, with the proper emulation).

Plus, where did the "mindless" thing come from? I don't like action games, mind or no mind, and therefore a console is of no use to me, which is merely what I was saying.