You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Star Wars: The Sith Lords, a masterpiece by Lucasarts.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2005, 10:29 PM   #1

Default Star Wars: The Sith Lords, a masterpiece by Lucasarts.

what a wonderful RPG game, its really a fantastic game, the game engine is great, the way you upgrade weapons/armors is outstanding, play with the lightsaber and you will fall in love with that weapon, not to mention the sexy "Visas Marr", she is very hot........
It really reminds me of Sierra's Quest for Glory series, and the only thing that is missing there, is the ability to export & save your character for future episodes (exactly like the QG series, so that all your efforts & love for that character won't be lost), I hope Lucasarts take this into consideration in their next game.
Thanks you very much Lucasarts for this masterpiece, and I wish we keep seeing such a great games in the future.

Jedi Knight,
Sam

cc. Lucasarts forums.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:39 PM   #2

I still have not played the second one. I'd put the first in my top 10 games ever. My game time is spent between Fear and and Battlefield 2.
Old 11-19-2005, 01:08 AM   #3

I didn't like either of them, too linear for a RPG in my taste.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:27 AM   #4
Citizen of Bizarro World

Any game that allows me to be a Jedi rates very highly in my book. I feel another "What I wanna see in Jedi Knight 3" rant coming up. Must...resist...the...urge!
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 11-19-2005, 04:27 AM   #5
Fop
Epsilon-Minus Semi-Moron

Shame about the last fourth of the game. Trying to make a game like that in a year is folly. Also note that it was only published by LucasArts.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:28 AM   #6

I'm playing The Sith Lords and I LOVE IT. I've heard that the ending is a big disappointment but right now it doesn't matter. The KOTOR games are so huge and deep, there is so much stuff going on, it was impossible for Obsidian to develop it in a year only. KOTOR is my favourite game ever and I've never seen any of the Star Wars movies.

Have you guys heard of the TSL restoration project team gizka http://www.team-gizka.org/ ?!
Old 11-19-2005, 09:29 AM   #7
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rulzern
I didn't like either of them, too linear for a RPG in my taste.
Exactly. It's an adventure game. D'oh.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:34 AM   #8
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I'm only a little way into The Sith Lords, but it feels like a TV-series knockoff from a movie. There's just something... small scale and artificial feeling about it, and I'm not enjoying it as much as the original.

Still good, mind you.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 11-19-2005, 09:36 AM   #9
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
I'm only a little way into The Sith Lords, but it feels like a TV-series knockoff from a movie. There's just something... small scale and artificial feeling about it, and I'm not enjoying it as much as the original.

Still good, mind you.
Direct-to-video sequel
Old 11-19-2005, 09:37 AM   #10
capsized.

I'd love to see Obsidian creating their own properties. But since they're currently working on Neverwinter Nights 2...
Old 11-19-2005, 03:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad
Exactly. It's an adventure game. D'oh.
Too RPG-y for my taste in adventures too. :p
Old 11-21-2005, 11:17 AM   #12
Citizen of Bizarro World

Since you guys have been lucky enough to beat this game, and I'm hopelessly stuck, go to my thread & help me out!

http://forums.adventuregamers.com/showthread.php?t=11922

Please?
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 11-23-2005, 03:00 PM   #13
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Are you joking? The first KOTOR was so much better than this one, and its not a true sequel, I wanted to continue were I left off not play as a totally different character in the same plot.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 11-23-2005, 10:58 PM   #14
Fop
Epsilon-Minus Semi-Moron

Bah.
Old 11-24-2005, 02:25 AM   #15
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fop
Shame about the last fourth of the game. Trying to make a game like that in a year is folly.

Baldur's Gate 2 was made in about the same time. The game engine already existed (like in KOTOR 2's case),... still, weird. There's a hell of a lot of content in BG2.
Old 11-25-2005, 03:14 AM   #16

KOTOR is possibly my favorite game of all time, but I found the sequel horribly disappointing. Just about everything about it was worse than in the original. Maybe if it had been developed by BioWare, it would've been good. But then again, I can see why they didn't pick it up. There was no need for a sequel, the story had been told.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:26 PM   #17
delusions of adequacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad
Baldur's Gate 2 was made in about the same time.
You mean it was made in under 12 months? Where did you read that? Baldur's gate was released at the end of 1998 and BG2 came out middle of 2000, even if they never started on the sequel until the original was on shelves (which never happens, usually preliminary stuff for the sequel is already underway) thats almost 2 years. They took another year to release the very small throne of bhaal expansion.

Also, BG2 wasn't using the restrictive star wars universe (WOTC while bastards, aren't so fussed with how the D&D system is implemented in crpgs, so long as the money keeps flowing). With the star wars IP, Every bloody change to the story etc has to go through lucasarts for approval. Tedious.

There's some clever additions in Sith Lords, I felt there was lots of little things done better than the original, it just didn't have the polish of its predecessor. Another 6 months might have done wonders, or seen Obsidian go under.

Kotor was a rather simple game at its heart, Sith lords (to me) tried to make the world a little more hands on/realistic. Its a shame the ending was so noticeably rushed. People still rag on Obsidian not just for releasing it as it is, but for not patching/fixing the story. They can't due to the lucasarts license agreement.

I hope NWN2 helps Obsidian recover from the (misdirected) bad gamer cred they've garnered from Kotor 2. I'd also prefer to see them tackle their own IP but it won't happen unless they get a couple of great releases out the door.
Old 11-26-2005, 03:42 AM   #18
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy in milk
You mean it was made in under 12 months? Where did you read that? Baldur's gate was released at the end of 1998 and BG2 came out middle of 2000, even if they never started on the sequel until the original was on shelves (which never happens, usually preliminary stuff for the sequel is already underway) thats almost 2 years. They took another year to release the very small throne of bhaal expansion.

They began work on Shadows of Amn after Tales Of The Sword Coast got released (April '99). Baldur's Gate 2 shipped in September 2000, AFAIK. That's more than a year, but still.. incredible. But it really was a lucky shot for them (sort of)..

Quote:
What was it like to be a part of the Baldur's Gate II development team and how have things changed at BioWare since then? Any fond memories you can share with us?

James: I have two primary memories burned into my mind from the Baldur’s Gate days. The first memory is the horror of crunch time. Shadows of Amn was an enormous game with so many plots, characters, items, spells, places, etc., that it took a lot of work and passion to get that beast out the door. That leads to the second memory: creative fulfillment. I think the stars aligned for Baldur’s Gate II in a way that they probably won’t again. We had a finished engine that allowed us to focus on content rather than basic functionality. We had enough staff familiar with the engine that we could iterate content very quickly. We shipped it at a good time, shortly before the Christmas shopping season. Our system requirements were low, and a lot of basic machines could run it when they couldn’t run the latest 3D marvel. It was a good environment for getting content into a game, as the result has shown.
(http://www.gamebanshee.com/interview...nniversary.php)

Quote:
I hope NWN2 helps Obsidian recover from the (misdirected) bad gamer cred they've garnered from Kotor 2. I'd also prefer to see them tackle their own IP but it won't happen unless they get a couple of great releases out the door.
I don't think there's much to worry about. With a staff like this and all..
Old 11-26-2005, 08:33 AM   #19
S.P.E.C.I.A.L.

Send a message via MSN to Talas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fop
Shame about the last fourth of the game. Trying to make a game like that in a year is folly. Also note that it was only published by LucasArts.
There's still some stuff left-over from the original ending on the disc, mostly sounds. I heard some modders were trying to make a better ending with that, but I don't know what its current status is.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:59 AM   #20

Took me a while to find it again, but here are some of the cut scenes from KOTOR2 that people have found whilst digging through the various files.

WARNING: contains spoilers

http://tubertarian.com/kotor2missingcontent.php

The Atton fighting the Disciple one is superb and the Atton dying makes me need to pretend that i've got something in my eye.