You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Playing Xbox games on a PC/notebook monitor

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2005, 01:25 AM   #1
merely human

Default Playing Xbox games on a PC/notebook monitor

> ?

Is it possible to do so if you have the right setup? Thanks in advance.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 11-18-2005, 03:24 AM   #2
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

If you have a TV input option on the laptop (one of those cards) then you should be able to. But weren't you the person suggesting that Fahrenheit should be played on Xbox precisely so you could sit in front of the TV?

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 11-18-2005, 05:20 AM   #3
Psychonaut

You can buy a Xbox 360 VGA cable for about $39.99.

This allows you to connect the XBOX360 to a PC monitor

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/re...6MLTG?v=glance
Old 11-18-2005, 10:00 AM   #4
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
If you have a TV input option on the laptop (one of those cards) then you should be able to. But weren't you the person suggesting that Fahrenheit should be played on Xbox precisely so you could sit in front of the TV?
Absolutely. But you can still approximate that. If you have a notebook you can sit back on your couch, or if it's on a PC monitor you can position it to face your couch. I think the key is the controller. Not exactly entirely comfy trying to balance a keyboard/mouse setup on your lap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21
You can buy a Xbox 360 VGA cable for about $39.99.

This allows you to connect the XBOX360 to a PC monitor

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/re...6MLTG?v=glance

Thanks. Is it possible to hook it up to, say, a notebook's VGA and enjoy the game on that screen? If so that should work for the 360 since you wouldn't need the separate AV cable the first Xbox requires (the 360 already has HD hardware built in, right?).
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 11-18-2005, 10:51 AM   #5
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Absolutely. But you can still approximate that. If you have a notebook you can sit back on your couch, or if it's on a PC monitor you can position it to face your couch. I think the key is the controller. Not exactly entirely comfy trying to balance a keyboard/mouse setup on your lap.

Thanks. Is it possible to hook it up to, say, a notebook's VGA and enjoy the game on that screen? If so that should work for the 360 since you wouldn't need the separate AV cable the first Xbox requires (the 360 already has HD hardware built in, right?).
You got it. That cord will solve all your problems as long as you have an "in" type PP hookup.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:15 AM   #6
merely human

Please show me what an "in" type PP hookup is. Thanks.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:05 PM   #7
Banned User

Like this:

Though it'll be on your laptop. It's for an in signal I think. I'm not positive though.
Old 11-19-2005, 01:57 PM   #8
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryscars
Like this:

Though it'll be on your laptop.
Yeah, that's pretty much standard in all notebooks now (you say laptop, I say notebook ).

Quote:
It's for an in signal I think. I'm not positive though.
It's typically used to transfer visuals to another monitor, isn't it? So if you connect the cable going from the Xbox to PP jack, would that do the opposite and send the Xbox visuals into the notebook monitor for viewing?
Old 11-19-2005, 01:58 PM   #9
Banned User

I'd say so. I think it would be worth a try.
Old 11-19-2005, 02:24 PM   #10
merely human

Whoah. That page you linked to has been changed to the 360 version! Check it out:

Quote:

DV 15S standard VGA connector for audio and video enhancement

Facilitates 480p, 720p and 1080i video output on TVs and computer displays that support VGA input

8’ of cable for easy setup
This is great news for me as when I get my 360 next spring I won't need an HDTV. I can just hook it up to a notebook or PC monitor and enjoy. I don't mind not seeing the beauty on a huge screen but I do like HD quality.
Old 11-19-2005, 02:40 PM   #11
Banned User

Next spring? Get your ass to a walmart.
Old 11-19-2005, 02:49 PM   #12
SamNMax

Why the **** would you get one at Walmart?

Old 11-19-2005, 02:54 PM   #13
Banned User

Why not? That's where i'm getting mine.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:57 PM   #14
merely human

Quote:
Next spring? Get your ass to a walmart.
My ass can wait. Right now the most important thing I need is a new PC, and I'm getting a notebook. If I get a 360 now I have no notebook.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:47 PM   #15
SamNMax

Quote:
Why not? That's where i'm getting mine.
Of poor quality.

Old 11-19-2005, 04:49 PM   #16
Banned User

And what exactly is of poor quality?
Old 11-19-2005, 04:49 PM   #17
merely human

You have something against Walmart, Maxsie?
Old 11-19-2005, 04:50 PM   #18
Banned User

Yeah, how is it worse than anything else?