You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Anyone selling Xbox?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2005, 06:53 AM   #1

Default Anyone selling Xbox?

I take it that Xbox 360 will be released next week. I have no plan to get a Xbox360 until at least one price drop but I am interested in getting an Xbox. Is anyone here selling their Xbox to fund the purchase of Xbox 360? Thought I'd rather let an AGer rip me off instead of a stranger on eBay.

Once I get my hands on an Xbox, I'm planning to get the following games:

Fable:Lost Chapter ($19.99 now!)
KOTOR 2
Oddworld Stranger's Wrath
Jade Empire
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 2

Recommend some other games that are not so stress inducing (IE not too hard, Psychonaughts is out of my bounds because I have a feeling that it will make me bash my head against the wall a lot), and story-exploration rich. Just so you know, I hated Max Payne and Max Payne 2 because some parts of the game was too hard even after they (allegedly) automatically adjusted the difficulty setting. So you know where I'm coming from.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:52 AM   #2
Banned User

Sold mine over the summer for about $80. For games, I dunno, we seem to like different games, but I know I loved Morrowind, Kelly Slater's Pro Surfer, any Tony Hawk games, Beyond Good and Evil, Syberia (though, it's better on PC unless you have a HDTV) Halo 1 & 2...the list goes on man. Oh yeah, get the suffering, shouldn't be too hard for you and it's pretty damn scary.

Oh yeah, if you get one and decide you want an extra controller, i'll give you my Duke controller that I have lying around, for being such a swell guy. All you have to pay for is shipping.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:53 AM   #3
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyruless
I take it that Xbox 360 will be released next week. I have no plan to get a Xbox360 until at least one price drop but I am interested in getting an Xbox. Is anyone here selling their Xbox to fund the purchase of Xbox 360? Thought I'd rather let an AGer rip me off instead of a stranger on eBay.

KOTOR 2
Jade Empire

Recommend some other games that are not so stress inducing (IE not too hard, Psychonaughts is out of my bounds because I have a feeling that it will make me bash my head against the wall a lot), and story-exploration rich. Just so you know, I hated Max Payne and Max Payne 2 because some parts of the game was too hard even after they (allegedly) automatically adjusted the difficulty setting. So you know where I'm coming from.
Gilly if you really want my advice, I suggest you save your money and get a 360. Half of the games you are interested in are available for the PC as well, and if you get the high end 360, you can play most of them due to bw compatilbilty.

If you are set on buying one, I truly think you should get Psychonauts. It is my favorite game on the XBOX, and it isn't that difficult. My girlfriend, who really is not that dexterous when it comes to video games finished it without my help.

I can also think of Panzer Dragoon Orta, KOTOR, the splinter cell series (if you're into that), prince of persia: Sands of time, beyond good and evil, Mafia .

Firefox rules
Old 11-16-2005, 09:56 AM   #4
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
Gilly if you really want my advice, I suggest you save your money and get a 360. Half of the games you are interested in are available for the PC as well, and if you get the high end 360, you can play most of them due to bw compatilbilty.

If you are set on buying one, I truly think you should get Psychonauts. It is my favorite game on the XBOX, and it isn't that difficult. My girlfriend, who really is not that dexterous when it comes to video games finished it without my help.

I can also think of Panzer Dragoon Orta, KOTOR, the splinter cell series (if you're into that), prince of persia: Sands of time, beyond good and evil, Mafia .
I completely agree, minus his recommendation of Mafia. Mafia on the consoles is a big turd. Get it for PC.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:57 AM   #5
merely human

Quote:

You're tempting me. But alas, I'm keeping mine until next spring. Hopefully by then I can afford the 360. I want there to be an overlap so that when I sell my Xbox I'll already have bought a 360. I also need to hang on to it longer because I'm not playing any PC games atm until I get a new notebook (in several weeks). My current desktop is sucky now and is only good for storing stuff. So at this point I'm gaming almost exclusively on Xbox (still need to finish Splinter Cell: CT and Still Life).

Quote:

KOTOR 2
Jade Empire

Highly recommended: Beyond Good & Evil, Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, Thief: Deadly Shadows.

Perchance you do procure a console you should play Fable (if you haven't already played it). I think Lost Chapter is more of an expansion pack (someone correct me if I'm wrong) which is why it's so cheap. I'm actually surprised you're interested in this one; it's an action RPG and there's a huge amount of combat. I definitely will get Lost Chapters myself, I had a marvelous time with Fable.

But since you're willing to put up with heavy action like that I strongly recommend Jade Empire (play it on easy difficulty in your case). There are some optional side quests with stories that may jerk a tear in your eye, and just the narrative and gameworld are deep and satisfying for a single player console RPG. I seriously think Bioware kicks most adventure game stories' asses to next week (you didn't think I'd let up, did you? ), I love how they pay so much attention to the humanism in their stories and allow you a hand in how they turn out ethically.

Quote:
Soccsie already suggested the Splinter Cell series and BG&E. Since you're not much for heavy handed action and you're cunning enough, the Splinter Cell games should do you well. The stories are light and are more political suspense than anything (Tom Clancy's world is nothing if not all about macho governmental attitude without the emotions), but the true beauty is in the gameplay as interdependent on the gorgeous dyanmic gameworld, a perfect collaboration between the two. And Sam Fisher is f#&king sexy!

Also very highly recommended is Thief: Deadly Shadows. This is also a sneaker like SC, but it's a particularly stylish, noir moody one, with a very good story and rich, intimately experienced gameworld.

BG&E I won't elaborate on 'cause you already know a bunch of us here are louthmouthed advocates of it. Say nothing and just get the damn game for Xbox if you decide not to for PC.

Also, like Soccsie said, you're ultimately far better off waiting for the 360. Major advantages for you - retro compatability with a huge number of Xbox titles (the first list has 200 games, with more coming); with the 360 you'll be able to go online for free with the Silver tier service, allowing you to download free stuff like game demos (could be great if more adventure games are made).
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien

Last edited by Intrepid Homoludens; 11-16-2005 at 11:03 AM.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:03 AM   #6
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Perchance you do procure a console you should play Fable (if you haven't already played it). I think Lost Chapter is more of an expansion pack (someone correct me if I'm wrong) which is why it's so cheap.
It's the original game plus bolt-on extras, released cheaper to encourage people who already own the game to buy again.

It's also the version that was released on the PC, though it nicely has a retail price of £25 for the PC version over here in Blighty...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 11-16-2005, 11:10 AM   #7
merely human

Ah, thanks for clarifying, Robsie. That's kinda redundant for me to get Lost Chapters because I already own Fable, but it doesn't matter because it's the new content I want, I'll still get it. Do you know if Lost Chapters lets you import your hero from Fable? It would save me quite a bit of time.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 11-16-2005, 11:12 AM   #8
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Ah, thanks for clarifying, Robsie. That's kinda redundant for me to get Lost Chapters because I already own Fable, but it doesn't matter because it's the new content I want, I'll still get it. Do you know if Lost Chapters lets you import your hero from Fable? It would save me quite a bit of time.
As far as I know you can import your hero.

Old 11-16-2005, 11:20 AM   #9
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryscars
I completely agree, minus his recommendation of Mafia. Mafia on the consoles is a big turd. Get it for PC.
I've actually played it on the PC I thought the console ports would be of the same quality, but looking at the reviews, you are right.

Firefox rules
Old 11-16-2005, 11:26 AM   #10

I don't know about getting an Xbox 360. Although I can easily afford one, the thought of spending 400 bucks on a gaming system makes me uncomfortable. I guess I'm cheap. I think I will get an Xbox and wait a couple of years before getting either Xbox 360 or PS3.

I can't handle stealth games (I hate the game play) so games like Thief and Splinter Cell are out. I have played BG&E and PP:SoT on PS2 and like them both a lot. I did try Mafia on PC but I just found it too hard and gave up on it.

Funny thing is I don't really mind games getting a bit tough on action RPGs. Diablo 2 can be super tough on hard difficulties and I think my Amazon died more than 20 times before I could beat Diablo but that didn't bother me. What I find frustrating in difficulty platformers. I have had a hell of time with Jak 2 and never finished it and I have a feeling that I will have a similar difficulty with Psychonaughts.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:31 AM   #11
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
I have had a hell of time with Jak 2 and never finished it and I have a feeling that I will have a similar difficulty with Psychonaughts.
Oh believe me, Jak 2 is a hell lot more difficult than Psychonauts (that's how you write Psychonauts by the way ). I am very much into platformers, and I have played Sly 1 & 2, the first Jak and all 3 ratchet and clank games, and Jak 2 is still sitting on my To play list half-played. Psychonauts is much easier.

Firefox rules
Old 11-16-2005, 11:41 AM   #12
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
Oh believe me, Jak 2 is a hell lot more difficult than Psychonauts (that's how you write Psychonauts by the way ). I am very much into platformers, and I have played Sly 1 & 2, the first Jak and all 3 ratchet and clank games, and Jak 2 is still sitting on my To play list half-played. Psychonauts is much easier.
What SoccerDude said. Apart from a couple of really obtuse camera angles and That Final Levelâ„¢ it's all pretty easy, and even That Final Levelâ„¢ isn't as bad as many platform games I've played.

And Mario for t3h w1n when it comes to platform games, SoccerDude.

Old 11-16-2005, 01:53 PM   #13
Chris Barraclough

If you like horror-style action games, you've gotta check out Silent Hill 2 and Project Zero/Fatal Frame. Both good stories, loads of atmosphere, and scary as ****. And not too hard.

Timesplitters is essential for multiplayer, as is Tony Hawks, and ISS Pro Evolution if you're into footy.

Finally, GTA: San Andreas. Such a good game.

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk
Old 11-16-2005, 02:07 PM   #14
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by seebaruk
If you like horror-style action games, you've gotta check out Silent Hill 2 and Project Zero/Fatal Frame. Both good stories, loads of atmosphere, and scary as ****. And not too hard.
Absolutely for SH and SH3 (I'm planning to get SH4: The Room). gilly, if you're into serious stories with mature, psychological, and emtionally demanding themes, these are as good as it gets. Crank down the combat difficulty and crank up the puzzle difficulty for a more adventure game feel. And play it in the dark with the sound turned up!! That's the only way to experience a Silent Hill game.

Click this pic to see the first
Fatal Frame trailer.

I still seriously need to get a Fatal Frame game. I've read reviews for the first one and the consensus is good. Then Fatal Frame 2 came out and it got even better reviews. Thing is, I'm broke for the next several weeks. Ah well.

Last edited by Intrepid Homoludens; 11-16-2005 at 02:14 PM.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:14 PM   #15
Banned User

Quote:
I don't know about getting an Xbox 360. Although I can easily afford one, the thought of spending 400 bucks on a gaming system makes me uncomfortable. I guess I'm cheap. I think I will get an Xbox and wait a couple of years before getting either Xbox 360 or PS3.

I can't handle stealth games (I hate the game play) so games like Thief and Splinter Cell are out. I have played BG&E and PP:SoT on PS2 and like them both a lot. I did try Mafia on PC but I just found it too hard and gave up on it.

Funny thing is I don't really mind games getting a bit tough on action RPGs. Diablo 2 can be super tough on hard difficulties and I think my Amazon died more than 20 times before I could beat Diablo but that didn't bother me. What I find frustrating in difficulty platformers. I have had a hell of time with Jak 2 and never finished it and I have a feeling that I will have a similar difficulty with Psychonaughts.
You get a lot for that $400.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:30 PM   #16
merely human

It depends on the individual and their lifestyle. I agree, though, you'll get a lot for your $400. If you have broadband you can get free demos and simpler games, and depending on your setup at home you can transform the 360 into a major multimedia center. Great if you happen to have family over and wanna share pics or home movies that you can channel from your PC (XP Media Center Edition, though). In between game sessions you can play your iPod on it, chat, check email, instant message, wash dishes, do the laundry, spy on your supermodel neighbour.....

Also, there will be a great number of games coming out in the next 6-12 months, and who knows what other goodies will come from online.

Gawd, I sound like a pimp.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:42 PM   #17
Banned User

Hey, there's only room for one xbox fanboy on these forums!
Old 11-16-2005, 02:46 PM   #18
merely human

Excuse me, I'm an Xbox fanfag.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:07 PM   #19
Banned User

Quote:
Excuse me, I'm an Xbox fanfag.
Ooooh. Ok, that one's all yours.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:36 PM   #20
Super Moderator

This is what they said at Penny Arcade today concerning the XBox. Today's comic is cute too.

Quote:
When I still had a 360 waiting for me, I wasn't physically shaking with the anticipation of it. Now that it's not really a sure thing my thoughts are dominated by fantasies of its acquisition. The onrushing wall of 360 coverage is creating a kind of pressure against my skull.

We got an email from an employee at a "dedicated games retailer" that might intrigue you, regarding how 360s are being distributed. I'd imagine it's probably store by store, but here you go: they are going to the people who purchased the most accessories, as opposed to the people that got on there first. We've heard it from people going into stores as well, where the person behind the counter - in what I'm going to call an act of kindness, given the situation - suggests that they throw a couple peripherals on the pile to guarantee it. I'm not saying this is what happened to me, I'm just saying that it happens.