Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   General (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/)
-   -   "King Kong game raises emotional stakes", also soundtrack! (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/11804-king-kong-game-raises-emotional-stakes-also-soundtrack.html)

Kolzig 11-12-2005 01:17 AM

"King Kong game raises emotional stakes", also soundtrack!

A column by Tom Loftus at MSNBC talks about King Kong the game. Xavier Poix, the producer of the game says that he certainly wants gamers to scream “Whoa!” when the ape first thunders across the screen. The other one he's looking for, however, is a doozee: “I’m hoping that when they finish the game the players will cry.”

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9968336/

Also, Ubisoft unveiled a new webpage for the original game score of King Kong the game, composed by Chance Thomas.

You can download the whole soundtrack from the webpage and hear yourself what Mr Thomas has composed.

http://www.kingkonggame.com/us/music/

Quote:

Ubisoft has unveiled a massive new music site for Peter Jackson’s King Kong: The Official Game of the Movie. Music fans will revel in the sheer volume of Kong content available, including full-length MP3’s of Chance Thomas’ orchestral score, an exclusive new game music video, documentary footage and candid behind-the-scenes anecdotes.

“The music is the linchpin for the game’s mood and atmosphere,” says Morgan “Rhoulette” Romine, Online Community Manager for Ubisoft’s King Kong marketing team and a key player in bringing the game’s music to light. “The music section lets people get a sense for how it feels to be in Kong’s world before actually playing the game.”

“The Ubisoft marketing team has been incredible,” adds Thomas. “They’ve made the music a huge part of the King Kong website experience. A couple of them told me the music section has more content than the rest of the site combined. For a composer, it just doesn’t get much better than that.”

The unprecedented scale underscores a colossal fact: the game’s two hour orchestral score may be the single largest all-original component of the game. Creative Director Michel Ancel explained, “We wanted to compose our own music for the game, with the blessing of Peter Jackson of course." Peter Jackson told the New York Times it was his intent to create a "universe apart from the film, one that showed the emotional complexities of both the hunter and the hunted." Music Supervisor Aurelien Baguerre adds, “The game has its own style of music and orchestral colour. It helps to complete the immersion of the player.”

The new online music pages offer more than 35 minutes of free MP3 music downloads. These are full-length tracks that might otherwise comprise the better part of a soundtrack album. Thomas elaborates, “Since Ubisoft was not permitted to sell a video game soundtrack album, this music site was a labor of love to bring the Kong game score to the fans.”

Each music track is posted according to the level or character it accompanies on a dedicated web page: T-REX, ANN DARROW, KONG, PREDATORS, and SKULL ISLAND. Super size screen shots provide a visual focus on each page, with extensive composer commentary accompanying each track. Photographs from the Kong recording sessions with the orchestra and choir are also included, illustrating a detailed written account of how the music was conceived and took shape.

Kolzig 11-12-2005 04:26 PM

Ok, people. Express the love for King Kong, now. Please.

Naveed 11-14-2005 04:20 AM

The demo was protected by Starforce! I didn't give it a try :Z

SakSquash 11-14-2005 06:11 AM

It was? What for? Why protect a demo?

Anyway, I had some killer fun with the game.

footawn 11-14-2005 06:26 AM

being that this is a movie tie-in game, i approach it with bated breath. it's gonna need some great reviews for me to care much more beyond this post...

Kolzig 11-14-2005 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footawn
being that this is a movie tie-in game, i approach it with bated breath. it's gonna need some great reviews for me to care much more beyond this post...

Not a fan of Michel Ancel, I presume?

Oh and Kong is finally coming out this week, on Thursday! I've got the collector's edition pre-ordered already, of course.

Naveed 11-14-2005 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by temporaryscars
It was? What for? Why protect a demo?

Anyway, I had some killer fun with the game.

I don't know why they protected the demo with starforce. I went to download the demo and there was a warning on the page 'This demo contains Starforce Copy Protection. Install at your own risk'. Given awful experiences I had with starforce before, I googled it and found that it is indeed the case therefore I didn't try it. I think it is safe to assume that the release version will be protected by Starforce.

SakSquash 11-14-2005 01:03 PM

Hmm..I didn't have any problems with it.

RLacey 11-14-2005 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Naveed
I don't know why they protected the demo with starforce.

It's to prevent nasty h4x0rs using the demo executables to help them crack the full game. Allegedly.

Kolzig 11-16-2005 05:10 AM

http://pc.ign.com/articles/667/667256p1.html

Quote:

By not randomly splicing snippets of the movie into the action, Michel Ancel's team at Ubi Montpellier has managed to deliver a powerful, complete and very cohesive experience. Unrivaled immersion is not ever diminished by nagging HUDs, unwanted inventory screens, or nonsensical dialog prompts either. Skull Island is a world the player explores and completely falls into. Because of this, King Kong the game offers an interactive narrative that never breaks. Like an aged storyteller, King Kong has captivated us with a believable universe we cannot involuntarily escape by being repeatedly reminded of just how gamey the game we're playing is. Instead we strive to survive, explore, conquer, rescue and believe...

...Stories are why we read books, watch television, frequent theaters, and sit around campfires. Why can't they also be why we play games? We want adventures, characters, people, success in the face of adversity, accomplishment despite strife... We don't watch TV for the best use of lighting, nor do we read entire series of fiction for proper semicolon placement. So thank goodness! Game developers are finally realizing just how powerful well told stories can be in games. Ubisoft is telling us a story. In Kong there are no carelessly strung together clips of cutscenes crammed in for the sake of being crammed in. King Kong also doesn't feature random gameplay the 8-bit generation convinced us all we needed. It's a game designed to tell a story and because of that it's thrilling -- it makes us believe.
O wow! :9~

Junkface 11-18-2005 04:20 AM

Quote:

Stories are why we read books, watch television, frequent theaters, and sit around campfires
Not in my experience, in fact I'm not sure I've ever sat in front of a ****ing campfire, and if I ever did it was to toast a marshmellow. Yeah, I read for creative use of language, including semicolons (you haven't lived till you've been turned on by a girl's semicolon usage), watch movies, maybe not TV, for the best use of lighting, and play games for the convergence of sound, visuals and gameplay to evoke a particular feel(ing.) Any game which is notable for advancing the cause of story is a waste of time. I only hope IGN has missed the point by as far a margin as I'd expect them to.

Kolzig 11-18-2005 09:59 AM

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=61698

9/10

Naveed 11-19-2005 07:08 AM

wow, the high resolution version

http://www.direct2drive.com/321/product/Buy-Pre-Order-Peter-Jackson's-King-Kong-%5bHigh-Res-Edition%5d-Download

Just look at the specs, I am 1 GB short :( But looks awesome...

Kolzig 11-19-2005 03:21 PM

I think that it's a pretty s*itty thing to release high-res version of the game only on the net and put the regular version to the shops.

The collector's edition should be the "Gamer's edition" which is the high-res one, but it's not... :frown:

RLacey 11-20-2005 02:34 AM

Right, I'm not buying until they release that high-res version in a box :(.

squarejawhero 11-20-2005 02:47 AM

Stupid thing's not even available in the EU. WTF?

Kolzig 11-20-2005 04:12 AM

What do you mean by that?

squarejawhero 11-20-2005 04:20 AM

Hi-res version, dufus!

Kolzig 11-20-2005 04:28 AM

Yes, it is available in EU and everywhere else.
From the Ubi netstore and also from that one German netshop as a digital download?

squarejawhero 11-20-2005 04:49 AM

The hi-res version? SEXCELLENT. I love you.

RLacey 11-20-2005 05:01 AM

I still don't understand the logic of a gamer's edition download that's not highly publicised and that isn't available in a boxed version. Are there really some people prepared to pay £65 to get the Collector's Edition and the Gamer's Edition? :crazy:

Naveed 11-20-2005 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kolzig
Yes, it is available in EU and everywhere else.
From the Ubi netstore and also from that one German netshop as a digital download?

Can you post the links for Ubi netstore and German netshop?

squarejawhero 11-20-2005 05:21 AM

OK, I need to make a new forum rule.

In the time it takes to ask, it takes to google. SO GOOGLE.

(Don't mean to be rude, just happens to often to be funny!)

Kolzig 11-20-2005 05:25 AM

http://shop.ubi.com/Prod_ExtDesc.asp?catalogid=349

Still, I think that I will be satisfied with the collector's edition, in the end graphics aren't everything, you know.
(And also I don't think that my computer could run the gamer's edition smoothly.)

My copy of the collector's edition should be arriving from play.com on Monday or Tuesday.

squarejawhero 11-20-2005 05:26 AM

You are weak, mon frere.

Naveed 11-20-2005 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squarejawhero
OK, I need to make a new forum rule.

In the time it takes to ask, it takes to google. SO GOOGLE.

(Don't mean to be rude, just happens to often to be funny!)

Actually I googled it, but try googling German netshop and see what comes up :D as for the ubi store, again I could only find the shop that shipped only to the US.

RLacey 11-20-2005 06:04 AM

Quote:

Still, I think that I will be satisfied with the collector's edition, in the end graphics aren't everything, you know.
(And also I don't think that my computer could run the gamer's edition smoothly.)

I just have this horrible feeling that they'll release a new retail version in a couple of months time and that I'll feel conned, much like when a game gets released at budget price and moves from several CDs to a DVD.

This is actively putting me off buying for the moment :crazy:...

Kolzig 11-20-2005 06:28 AM

Here's the other one:

http://www.gamesload.de/de/shop/index.php

bigjko 11-20-2005 07:19 AM

Judging from the Eurogamer's interview this is setting up to be my favorite game of all time:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eurogamer
Whether it's Ubisoft's desire to make sure the pace and focus is always cranked up to the max we're not sure, but it works. You always want more, and even when you fail, some sensible checkpointing eradicates unnecessary backtracking almost entirely. If you're the sort of gamer who gets annoyed easily, then King Kong is your dream game - it's seemingly been designed to be entertaining from the first minute to the last, without needlessly bashing the player over the head. You'll want to finish it because it's fun; and then you'll play some of the key moments again to try and rack up the best score possible to unlock even more cool extras.

And this here has to be the most hilarious line in any review I've ever read:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eurogamer
But when the game starts giving you the opportunity to play as Kong, it's like Spinal Tap dropped by Ubisoft's studios and cranked it up to eleven.

Is it coming out for GameCube, by any chance?

RLacey 11-20-2005 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjko

I've seen it in the shops.

Kolzig 11-20-2005 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjko

It's coming out on every possible platform. :D

http://shop.ubi.com/kingkong_uk/

I'd really like to test the DS version of Kong.

RLacey 11-20-2005 07:48 AM

Quote:

It's coming out on every possible platform. :D

http://shop.ubi.com/kingkong_uk/

I'd really like to test the DS version of Kong.

If the screenshots listed under the DS version are actually the DS version I'll buy myself a hat just for the purpose of eating it.

SoccerDude28 11-20-2005 08:03 AM

[rant on]
Yet another reason why I am not too excited about the so-called "next gen":

360 version: 59.99
PC version: 39.99

for basically the same game.

At what point will consumers say, the prices are too high, and enough is enough? If MS and Sony really want their consoles to become mainstream, they better start lowering their game prices. Till what price point are consumers willing to pay for a video game? It's becoming such an expensive hobby, whether it is PC hardware or console software.
[/rant]

Kolzig 11-20-2005 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RLacey
If the screenshots listed under the DS version are actually the DS version I'll buy myself a hat just for the purpose of eating it.

Naah, those are just the regular pc, ps2, gc etc. pics.

But the real DS images don't look bad at all, I'd love to see it in action.

bigjko 11-20-2005 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
360 version: 59.99
PC version: 39.99

WTF is this?! That better be some ultra-fu**er version, extra Fruit added, or next-generation can go suck my a**.

I mean, jesus. I could understand, as much as I loathed, the development-costs excuse, but this is ridiculous. I can't believe the development costs of making a PC port on a 360 can be that much higher!

squarejawhero 11-20-2005 03:01 PM

Oh yawn, it's always the same story each gen.

The prices will come down. Jeesus. The games were £39.99/£44.99 here for Xbox and Gamecube. It's no ****ing different, calm down. I saw COD 2 on PC at £44.99 the other day. Depends on where you shop.

Naveed 11-21-2005 05:21 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the links. I might get the gamer's edition, once I buy 7800 GT in the far future ;) Hopefully, it will be free of the starforce crap.

squarejawhero 11-21-2005 07:45 AM

No starforce. You need a hefty rig to run it though!

Kolzig 11-24-2005 04:59 AM

IT'S MINE NOW!!!

http://netikka.net/kolzig/Kong.jpg

squarejawhero 11-24-2005 05:35 AM

Congrats. I had the gamers edition since Sunday. Heheh. Looks great although really I won't be able to do much with the wondrous higher settings until I upgrade, if I do. Same price as the regular edition though! So torn between upgrading and a 360!