You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Prisoner of War - Has anyone played this?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2005, 11:50 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Default Prisoner of War - Has anyone played this?

I just bought this on a whim for $3.00 (1.7 pounds or 2.52 Euros) for the PC. It looked kind of interesting. It sounds like a stealth game (they called it a 'New kind of escape adventure' on the box).

I was just curious if anyone else has played this (I'm sure there is someone out there ) and what they thought.

Also, can you use a gamepad with it?

Old 11-05-2005, 11:59 PM   #2

I have it on the PC and had it on the Xbox once. I can't remember if I could use a joypad or not, but I remember feeling it was a rather bad port of the console version. Didn't feel like a pc-game at all. But that could be just me.

As a game I think it was fairly okay. I remember liking it quite a bit, but got stuck at one place and never got any further. I gave up on the game too early to give a complete impression, but it feels like an adventure game more than a stealth-game, although you do sneak around quite a bit.

I think the main problem with Prisoner of War was that it was hyped too much by magazines. When it came out, it was dissapointing, but looking at it with fresh eyes, you could get a few hours enjoyment out of it.
Old 11-06-2005, 02:39 AM   #3

I liked it although I had the same problem as Crimson Blue and got stuck and haven't played it since. It is very adventury in style as you wander around the camp and talk to the other prisoners where you have to find items in exchange for others. There are stealth sections where you have to sneak to other banned areas to get certain things without being spotted by the guards. It's good though although the stealth can get annoying.
Old 11-06-2005, 02:55 AM   #4
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I kept almost buying the game, but never actually did. It got an 80-odd per cent review in one magazine, and was genuinely fairly well received.

I think.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 11-06-2005, 09:35 AM   #5
merely human

I was one of those who was excited by and for this game enroute to its release date. Soon after it launched it garnered an average review score of 64. Maybe I set my standards too high, but considering it was published by Codemasters (who aren't exactly known for putting out the finest games), and I was broke and whatever game I decide to get had better be top notch (your can find excellent PC games for just 20 bucks these days), I lost interest.

According to the the reviews I read the critical element of PoW - the A.I. - wasn't exactly up there. And I was spoiled by the finesse of other stealth games like Thief, Deus Ex, and Splinter Cell. In the case of PoW the A.I. seemed designed to be unimaginative. Sorry, but in the end the game lacked any kind of compelling draw for me.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 11-10-2005, 01:17 PM   #6

Send a message via MSN to feisar

I quite enjoyed prisoner of war, like everyone else I got up to a certain point then eventually gave up. I like how it tries to be different, but the over american-isation and sticking to traditional game values does let it down, its like they were trying to break tradition but at the same time chucked in all the usual cliche to try and make it marketable.

It was still a good try, unlike everything else and reintroducted some nice gameplay ideas that had been ignored since the 80's...

Its really cheap now too, if you can find it.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:54 PM   #7
Banned User

I got it and didn't like it. I'm not a fan of those sneaky sneaky games, minus hitman.