You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2005, 12:17 AM   #1
Epinionated.

Default Path of Neo

Well, hopefully it won't turn out to be a white elephant a lá the awful (but occasionally fun) Enter The Matrix. I'm really encouraged by the PS2 screens and some of the ideas they're putting into it - as in, manipulating the story, not staying completely true to the film plot and an RPG system where you upgrade the skills you want. HOPEFULLY... it'll turn out rather well. I'll remain sceptical, but the new screens are pretty joyous for Matrix fans. And yeah, you can be a Matrix fan without liking the pretty drab sequels.

http://media.ps2.ign.com/media/696/696714/imgs_1.html
Old 10-29-2005, 01:00 AM   #2
delusions of adequacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
I'm really encouraged by the PS2 screens

Not me...
Old 10-29-2005, 01:02 AM   #3
Epinionated.

Old screen, you should check the new ones.

They've also managed to use new shader techniques on the old technology, which is pretty impressive.
Old 10-29-2005, 01:06 AM   #4
delusions of adequacy

Quote:
Old screen, you should check the new ones.

They've also managed to use new shader techniques on the old technology, which is pretty impressive.
S is for september, you're telling me they've redone all the graphics (models and textures) in a month? I approach this with as much skepticism as any ps2 title.
Old 10-29-2005, 01:11 AM   #5
Epinionated.

Well, that scene is full of more than just two avatars.

Old 10-29-2005, 02:08 AM   #6

I've played a preview version (PS2), and I can't say I'm impressed. It looked and felt very average to me.
Old 10-29-2005, 06:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Well, hopefully it won't turn out to be a white elephant a lá the awful (but occasionally fun) Enter The Matrix. I'm really encouraged by the PS2 screens and some of the ideas they're putting into it - as in, manipulating the story, not staying completely true to the film plot and an RPG system where you upgrade the skills you want. HOPEFULLY... it'll turn out rather well. I'll remain sceptical, but the new screens are pretty joyous for Matrix fans. And yeah, you can be a Matrix fan without liking the pretty drab sequels.

http://media.ps2.ign.com/media/696/696714/imgs_1.html

I can't say I like the fact that they're changing up the story a bit, especially the ending. I thought the way Revolutions ended was pretty much consistent with everything that came before it.

Changing up the story (even though it's only in the game) kind of seems like a cop-out to me, just because a lot of people didn't like how it originally ended.

But Path of Neo does look interesting to me, so I will probably play it.
Old 10-29-2005, 06:53 AM   #8
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

'The Matrix', the original game should take the title as one of the worse games of all time, there were so many graphical glitches, the gameplay was terrible & clunky. Then again Tomb Raider Angel of Darkness is really much worse even though the graphics are better.

With all these new action games coming out, since they don't have as much story as a adventure game I tend to focus on gameplay. I think every game in the world that wants to improve gameplay should look at Jedi Academy, very decent game, multiple endings, tons of moves, many light saber forms, and generally a very customizable game.

Path of Neo looks okay, but I want to play a demo first.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 10-29-2005, 07:59 AM   #9
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Given that I played Enter the Matrix with extremely low expectations, I thought it did actually offer a reasonable amount of fun. Given that Shiny haven't released a game that I've been truly impressed by for years, though, I suspect that Path of Neo is going to be distinctly average to play.

I'll still get it when it hits budget, though.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 10-30-2005, 07:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
Given that I played Enter the Matrix with extremely low expectations, I thought it did actually offer a reasonable amount of fun. Given that Shiny haven't released a game that I've been truly impressed by for years, though, I suspect that Path of Neo is going to be distinctly average to play.
Sorry to go off topic but have you ever played Shiny's third person RTS game, Sacrifice? I think it came out back in 2001. I thought that game was very impressive and very creative. It was a 3D real time strategy game in which everything is done in third person perspective and you control the commander (who also produces the units and what not). The game was pretty bizarre and difficult, but once had the controls down and got into it, it was a lot of fun. Easily the most nonlinear RTS games I've ever played.

Also, I always thought their crazy third person shooter, MDK, was great...at least back when it came out.

But I guess with Messiah and Enter the Matrix being two of their most hyped and biggest disappointments, I can easily see where you're coming from.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:10 AM   #11
gin soaked boy

Once upon a time Shiny were among my favorite developers and MDK is the best action game I've played to this day. Sad to see them go the path of mediocrity.

Btw, the guys that made MDK are now working as Planet Moon Studios. Hope they rethink their decision to focus on PSP game development, now that it's becoming more and more obvious that PSP isn't what everyone hoped it would be.