Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   General (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/)
-   -   Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/11498-call-cthulhu-dark-corners-earth.html)

Karmillo 01-30-2006 02:18 PM

I just noticed this game in the shos today, never even realised it was out yet...

So whats the sanity effects like? as good as Eternal Darkness? :D

Legolas813 01-30-2006 02:40 PM

Blockbuster refuses to rent the Xbox version, saying they aren't allowed to for some reason. If it's the publisher that is preventing them from renting it, that doesn't give me much hope in the game. Guess I won't be playing it. I rarely buy games anymore, besides I've heard it has a ton of bugs so I won't be taking any chances.

SoccerDude28 01-30-2006 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legolas813
Blockbuster refuses to rent the Xbox version, saying they aren't allowed to for some reason. If it's the publisher that is preventing them from renting it, that doesn't give me much hope in the game. Guess I won't be playing it. I rarely buy games anymore, besides I've heard it has a ton of bugs so I won't be taking any chances.

Blockbuster are a bunch of morons. Ever considered gamefly?

http://www.gamefly.com/products/deta...h?-?Popularity

oubliette 01-30-2006 04:24 PM

Play have now got the pc version listed for release on 24/02/06.

Might pick up the box version though as it's only £17.99!

eriq 01-31-2006 12:37 AM

Ooh I can't wait to play this one. It's on my GameFly.com list. It's gotten excellent reviews!

Starflux 01-31-2006 01:31 AM

My roommate is playing it and as I watch it there are a few things that strike me as very good. The non-existent interface is one of them. The creepy, unique atmosphere is another.

What really struck me was how the NPC's and human baddies seem really distorted and caricatures. Even their voices are gruff and unrealistic. And yet, it feels totally realistic to be there and not cartoony at all. Kudo to the design of this game!

Fop 01-31-2006 11:45 AM

Umm, I wouldn't trust what Play.com has it listed for. They (as in: all stores) just make up a date if there's no official info.

RLacey 03-15-2006 09:40 AM

So, the release dates for the PC version are here, and it's out 23rd/27th March in Europe/NA respectively. Who's getting it?

samIamsad 03-15-2006 09:59 AM

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHH

I'm afraid to ask, but.... where's that "here" you're talking about?

RLacey 03-15-2006 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samIamsad
I'm afraid to ask, but.... where's that "here" you're talking about?

Sorry about that. By "here" I meant "officially announced both on the website and by way of press releases and what-not" ;).

Kolzig 03-15-2006 10:26 AM

http://play.com/play247.asp?pa=srmr&...C&title=857217

Now that's cheap.

Fop 03-15-2006 10:31 AM

Ordered. Should notify the university that I'm taking a year off for this and Oblivion.

jjacob 03-15-2006 10:50 AM

Just pre-ordered Oblivion collector's edition (which is strangely enough thesame price as the regular version on Bol.com) :) Oh man that and Dreamfall are going to cost me so much time :P

Kolzig 03-15-2006 11:47 AM

One thing that is crazy in 2006, is the amount of interesting games coming out before summer, it's KAHREIZZZII I tell you.

Dreamfall, Oblivion, Call of Cthulhu, Phoenix Wright, Metroid Prime: Hunters, New Super Mario Bros... and many more.

Holy crap... :crazy:

NemelChelovek 03-15-2006 08:06 PM

This game made a big, aggressive sportsman friend of mine scream like a cheerleader at one point.

Spoiler:
When in the grocery store, we were trying to get through the trapdoor. We turned around to descend the ladder, and standing right there was one of the messed-up-looking cops, just staring at us. My friend leapt out of his chair and covered his face, making a sound like a pig being slaughtered.

I can honestly say this is one of my favorite games of all time.

samIamsad 03-16-2006 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RLacey
Sorry about that. By "here" I meant "officially announced both on the website and by way of press releases and what-not" ;).

Excuse my initial, er, scepticism, but it's been so (no actually: SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO) long. :(

RLacey 03-16-2006 05:57 AM

That's OK ;).

I'm trying to decide whether to crack over this. I'm not a huge horror fan (ok, I admit it, I'm a chicken), but this looks interesting.

spritex 03-17-2006 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kolzig
One thing that is crazy in 2006, is the amount of interesting games coming out before summer, it's KAHREIZZZII I tell you.

Dreamfall, Oblivion, Call of Cthulhu, Phoenix Wright, Metroid Prime: Hunters, New Super Mario Bros... and many more.

Holy crap... :crazy:

And if that wasn't enough, later this year we will possibly see:
Gothic 3 (which I wait more for than Oblivion, which I also preordered), Dark Messiah of Might & Magic (from the Arx Fatalis team!), Nintendo Revolution (including the new Zelda).

And... In the movies Xmen 3, Superman...

Crazy year for time killing.

Kolzig 03-17-2006 05:28 AM

Yeah, I can't wait to see Superman Returns. I have waited Superman's return for so long... :)

Fop 03-17-2006 07:28 AM

Heh, I want to see Superman Lives.

samIamsad 03-20-2006 11:37 AM

Apparently it's not yet available at Amazon. I hope the price tag stays the same! Whooo! :9~

Quote:

Q. What are the minimum specs for Call Of Cthulhu for PC?
A. Call Of Cthulhu requires a PC with minimum specifications of P3 500, a 32mb Direct 3D compatible graphics card and 128mb RAM.
That's what the official site kept telling me for years. Did anything of this change? It's pretty low and yet still looks pretty cool in my book.

RLacey 03-20-2006 11:40 AM

Play.com claims to have it in stock. Shame that I spent £20 on other games in the last couple of days :crazy:...

Veovis 03-21-2006 08:10 AM

The PC-version is out in Europe. Just bought it myself.

Henke 03-22-2006 09:23 AM

I will buy it next week. :9~

Dasilva 03-22-2006 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Veovis
The PC-version is out in Europe. Just bought it myself.

Better than the console version?

Veovis 03-23-2006 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dasilva
Better than the console version?

Haven't started playing it yet, but since it's a first person game my guess is that it works better with the PC than the consoles. I've never been really confortable with first person games and console controllers (with one exception: Metroid Prime for the cube).

JemyM 03-31-2006 04:34 AM

The game looks like it's 4 years old, but it's still good for an "adventure" game.
I havnt tried the console version so I dont know which one is best.
I am annoyed with the lack of quicksaves because I hate repeating the same bit over and over again.

Henke 03-31-2006 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JemyM
The game looks like it's 4 years old, but it's still good for an "adventure" game.

Adventuregames are mostly ugly??? :crazy:

JemyM 03-31-2006 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henke
Adventuregames are mostly ugly??? :crazy:

Adventure games arent really made famous for their long list of gee-whizz graphical features.

NcroManiac 03-31-2006 07:59 AM

Well, it kinda looks like a cross between Mafia and Half-Life 2 , and does not bother me in the slightest. It has even managed to suprice me in some sections (nice water effects).

Henke 03-31-2006 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JemyM
Adventure games arent really made famous for their long list of gee-whizz graphical features.

I don't think "gee-whizz graphical features" is what makes graphics look good but maybe that's just me.

samIamsad 03-31-2006 05:10 PM

http://callofcthulhu.com/forums/inde...showtopic=2825

Apparently Headfirst will soon be no more. Well, actually, they are no more. Some devs also confirmed this on the boards. This is a seriously ****ed up industry.

However, it all smells of mismanagement. First the Simon3D desaster, then a full six year development cycle for the only game that actually got finished over that time. Who the hell actually thought they'd make a profit from this? I don't know if Headfirst was still run by Mike Woodroffe, but it seems to me that he never figured out a way to get into the industry after it became really huge during the mid/late 90s. He did just fine with Horrosoft/Adventuresoft, back in the times when it took a year and only a small team to produce a high quality game.

Well, sad. :(

Kolzig 04-01-2006 12:24 AM

That's some really disappointing news alright... :frown:

But that's really shows some love for the game when that Lead Engineer guy finished the PC port on his own for free after the company had gone down.

NcroManiac 04-01-2006 04:57 AM

Yeah, but fortuanetly most of the staff got jobs farly quick at other high-ranking companies.
And Hooded_Claw is a hero, I'm buying a second copy of the PC version out of respect for this guy.

Gabe 04-01-2006 07:12 AM

As an xbox port no gamepad support on pc isnt that weird and saw that us official release delayed 17 april so guys who dwnloaded already wasting their time with bugs,glitches etc while still no final version for pc?