You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Tomb Raider Legend (dialup users beware - large images inside)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2005, 02:14 AM   #1
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva
Default Tomb Raider Legend (dialup users beware - large images inside)

TOMB RAIDER LEGEND

Recently they have launched their full site with all new trialers, screenshots, info, and loads of extra goodies.

Shes come so far... I remeber back in 1996, I first saw Tomb Raider 1, and I fell in love this this game, it was so rich in detail, and you got to explore amazing enviroments, its a great highlight in my gaming history, it was the first of its kind. I got every Tomb Raider Game that was released from that day that Tomb Raider 1 was released, all in the original large boxes with all the goodies.

I am a collector for those of you who don't know I've been collecting games since 1996, even though my collection only amounts to one large shelf.

I always thought Tomb Raider 1, 2 & 3 were the best. They all offered amazing improvments from the last game, after the trilogy I think the game started going down hill, when I played Tomb Raider 4: The Last Revalation, I was totally dissapointed in that game, the game only had one location which was the inside of a piramid, it was boring and generic.

Later on, Tomb Raider 5: Chronicles, came out and I tried it out, the level editor was very cool & fun. But it still didn't offer me anything that I would of had in the Tomb Raider Trilogy, Tomb Raider 4-5 had the same consistant engine, and it wasn't a good move for Eidos Interactive.

The years pass and where is Lara? I find out that Lara is going on a make over with a brand new spankin' engine that has amazing next gen graphics. (for the time)

Tomb Raider 6: Angel of Darkness, was the best looking Tomb Raider game so far. The only think I didn't like (good news for goths) is that Lara looked like a vampire, and the whole game was very sexual at times. Tobi Guard, the creator of Tomb Raider 1 and then he left after Tomb Raider 1, he was dissapointed in where the Tomb Raider series was going.

Tobi Guard is BACK, the guy who makes the original Tomb Raider so fun, is back in Tomb Raider 7: Legend, and this makes me so excitted to know I won't be playing another clone.

Please take the time to surf through the website even if you hated Tomb Raider in the past, this is something new & different.

Thanks,
-Spitfire

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 10-25-2005, 02:47 AM   #2
Psychonaut

I was a huge fan of Tomb Raider (as was my Dad- For years it was the only game he would play)

But Tomb Raider has been going downhill fast from the 4th episode and Angel of Darkness stank to the high heavens from the utterly dreadful controls to the "levelling up" it was just annoying.

Hopefully the new one will be good. I imagine they have used the Soul Reaver controls and a new graphic engine.

It might be ok.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:55 AM   #3
Hitch-Hiker

Angel of Darkness was the worse game ever, the only good thing was the graphics. The controls were utterly horrible, Lara moved around like a crazy frog when you wanted to use your gun.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

Old 10-25-2005, 04:08 AM   #4
capsized.

I remember an interview in which they said they wanted to use the franchise name for something very different the next time. To keep things fresh and exciting and juicy and such.

Mh.

That was prior to the first sequel's release... (in 1997)
Old 10-25-2005, 04:16 AM   #5
Aj_
Beyond Belief

I bought the first game when it was released, one of my favourite games, with nice puzzles, really cool platforming, guns and a pretty cool story with interesting characters. They didn't know it would be so popular. When it became popular, something happened:

Tomb Raider 2:
-Larger breasts
-No puzzles
-Weak story
-More gunplay*
-A few great enviroments
-Lots of weak enviroments
-Vehicles

I don't think they got it. I think they listened to the press too much. Tomb Raider 1, 2, & 3 all used very similar engines. Adding vehicles was necessary, not something you can do and just give up on everything else. I heard that Tomb Raider 3 tried to go back to what the original game was about, but they failed to do it well.

The games kept selling though, although as far as I can tell the review scores went something like this:
Tomb Raider, A
Tomb Raider 2, B
Tomb Raider 3, C
Tomb Raider 4, C
Tomb Raider 5, D
Tomb Raider 6, D

I like what is being said about Legend, and how Lara looks, I have no idea how you can keep making games in a series if you consistantly make the sequel worse than the last game. New developer, hope the game is another classic like the original.

*it's not different, it's still autoaim, there is no thought, or challenge involved.

Last edited by Aj_; 10-25-2005 at 04:45 AM.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:27 AM   #6
Hitch-Hiker

Yeah, the last bunch of Tomb Raider games did suck. And Lara breasts kept getting bigger in each sequel, its a bit disturbing to look at the Tomb Raider 4 cover, her breasts are larger than her head.

I like the new Tomb Raider Legend look, she actually looks human now, in many video interviews, Tobi Guard said that they made Lara is now so realistic and convinsing (sp). And he said that the game will feature more puzzles than other Tomb Raider games, going back to its roots to have a good balance between puzzles and action.

_

Old 10-25-2005, 04:31 AM   #7
capsized.

BTW: Has anybody ever played Core Design's "Tomb Raider 2D" that came out in 1990 or something?

Old 10-25-2005, 04:33 AM   #8
Psychonaut

To be honest I think the Prince of Persia series has stolen alot of Tomb Raiders thunder, as it seems to be doing the same thing.

1st on had lots of puzzles and fighting.
2nd one upped the fighting action content and narrowed down the puzzles
3rd on looks great but will probably have no puzzles in it.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:38 AM   #9
Hitch-Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad
BTW: Has anybody ever played Core Design's "Tomb Raider 2D" that came out in 1990 or something?

http://www.linuxsoft.cz/screenshot_img/191-a.jpg
I have. The game over uses the colour BROWN!! The entire game is brown. Its a bit annoying.

_

Old 10-25-2005, 04:40 AM   #10
Hitch-Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21
To be honest I think the Prince of Persia series has stolen alot of Tomb Raiders thunder, as it seems to be doing the same thing.

1st on had lots of puzzles and fighting.
2nd one upped the fighting action content and narrowed down the puzzles
3rd on looks great but will probably have no puzzles in it.
That is true, Prince of Persia (the new series) does take away the thunder that is Tomb Raider. I found PRince of Persia Sands of Time very repetative though, going into one room to another. Although the bullet time effects were cool.

_

Old 10-25-2005, 04:43 AM   #11
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire
I have. The game over uses the colour BROWN!! The entire game is brown. Its a bit annoying.

The "Change display mode" option is just a DOS command away...

Old 10-25-2005, 04:48 AM   #12
Psychonaut

Quote:

Wasn't that game called Rick Dynamite or something like that.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:48 AM   #13
Hitch-Hiker

Actually I prefere the game boy colour version:

Tomb Raider 2D is actually a very fun game, its like the eraly Prince of Persias'.

_

Old 10-25-2005, 04:58 AM   #14
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21
Wasn't that game called Rick Dynamite or something like that.
Rick Dangerous. Ah, memories.. I had no idea there was a "real" Tomb Raider 2D game.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:18 AM   #15
Hitch-Hiker

Very recently a new Tomb Raider Legend Impressions/preview article can be found @ IGN: http://xbox.ign.com/articles/661/661025p1.html

_

Old 10-26-2005, 12:33 PM   #16
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Quote:
Rick Dangerous. Ah, memories.. I had no idea there was a "real" Tomb Raider 2D game.
Rick Dangerous 1 and 2 are some of my most favourite games from the Amiga era.

Nowadays I only have Rick Dangerous 2 at the moment, it came with a cool comic book.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:53 AM   #17
Hitch-Hiker

Check out a new TRL preview.

Quote:
Tomb Raider: Legend Impressions
''We get a sneak peek at the second level of Lara Croft's upcoming adventure.''

Link:
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/acti...&mode=previews

_

Old 12-21-2005, 02:08 AM   #18
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire
Yeah, the last bunch of Tomb Raider games did suck. And Lara breasts kept getting bigger in each sequel, its a bit disturbing to look at the Tomb Raider 4 cover, her breasts are larger than her head.
That's understandable. What with all the money she was making she can pay for those boob jobs.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 12-21-2005, 02:35 AM   #19
Hitch-Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
That's understandable. What with all the money she was making she can pay for those boob jobs.
lol, cheers for making my day, for some reason I thought that was ironic.
My favourite Tomb Raider is the original one, because Toby Guard worked on TR1 and not any other of the 6 games. Angel of Darkness is simply one of the worst games of all time. All the games after TR1 become shooters and not focusing on puzzles like TR1, but Toby Guard is back with TR Legend, and he said in an interview that he will be focuing on characters and puzzles. So looks like We'll have a proper TR Adventure game.

_

Old 12-24-2005, 04:53 AM   #20
Hitch-Hiker

Another new preview:

http://www.xboxworld.com.au/xbox_gam...p?idReview=648

_