You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2005, 10:59 AM   #21
Epinionated.

Dragonlance was horrid. Still wasted hours on it, but never felt I was getting anywhere.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:29 PM   #22
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad
Indeed. But hey, when I was home from shopping and opened the box, I found a nice black Hudson Hawkâ„¢ baseball cap. (A disk too, of course).
And I bet you looked just spiffy in that stylish headgear.
Quote:
*cough*
I was like ten years old!
Erm....... precocious at all? OK. Myabe it was the dragon/fighter combo on Pool of Radiance after all then.
Quote:
I still haven't played the expansions... but the possibilites are almost endless. The whole thing is tile-based, so that after a while, every module starts to look the same, but still... I played it with a friend over LAN last year.. some spooky story that had us running through a dark, dark wood at night and there wasn't that much fighting involved. Scary! We used to play it with some light role-playing involved. At that time I played a kinda dumb female half-orc barbarian. She used to yell "GRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!" whenever she spotted an enemy and then kicked serious butt. That was fun.
HOtU introduced high-level gaming so you could start off with a character with a well-rounded set of skills. If you didn't import a character from a previous game then you leveled up (to 15th I think. I've uninstalled since so I can't check) right at the start. It also had greater freedom in choices of solving some quests and, at one point, a choice of quests you could undertake to advance. I'd recommend it as an improvement over the original.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 10-25-2005, 03:01 PM   #23
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

OK, I cracked and ordered the Forgotten Realms pack of an eBay seller. Mmm, £7.00, making it a little over 50p per game (if we ignore the BG demo).

My brother was addicted to Dungeon Hack's demo at one point, though it did get a little silly by the time you were choosing to use the Flower Key on the Flower Door ...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 10-26-2005, 03:33 AM   #24
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan
Maybe it was the dragon/fighter combo on Pool of Radiance after all then.
Maybe. ´

One day I might check out all these SSI games I've missed. I've played Al Quadim, though. And a bit of Ravenloft. But.... I'm kind of spoiled by the later D&D games. The turn-AND D&D-based combat system surely was one of the main attractions back then. I'm currently knee-deep in Goblin blood (Icewind Dale II). My rather exoctic party (3 Drows, a Deepling and a Human), too. Holy.... they've implemented 350 spells or something in that game. 350 spells, that makes another 60 pages of manual!
Old 10-27-2005, 06:13 AM   #25
capsized.

My IWDII CD2 is cracked. ARGGH. Off to Neverwinter.
Old 10-27-2005, 06:34 AM   #26
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

So many games, so little time!

That makes 14 games that I've received in two days, if you ignore the Baldur's Gate demo...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 10-27-2005, 06:49 AM   #27
capsized.

Wohooo! I've got plenty of time (kinda sucks, really ), just like four years ago, before I started my studies... Here's a nice editorial for anybody who has stopped playing Neverwinter Nights after completing the (rather boring) campaign:

Quote:
One of the biggest misconceptions tied with Neverwinter Nights is just what the package is - many feel it was an official campaign with a toolkit attached to it. It was however quite the opposite - it was a toolkit with an official campaign attached to it.
http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view...s.Detail&id=56
Old 10-28-2005, 02:27 AM   #28
capsized.

Update: Apparently, there are currently 3 D&D games in development:

Dungeons&Dragons Online: Stormreach (http://www.ddo.com)
Dragonshard (http://www.atari.com/dragonshard)
Neverwinter Nights 2 (http://www.neverwinternights2.com)

NWN 2 is being developed by Obsidian, so with people like Chris Avellone working on it there should also be a great deal of storytelling involved in the boxed campaign.

edit: (NWN question) Does anybody know if it's possible to have these nice skyboxes

in the game without having HOTU installed?

Last edited by samIamsad; 10-28-2005 at 02:38 AM.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:04 AM   #29
capsized.

I'm currently downloading the CEP (Community Expansion Pack) for Neverwinter Nights. Looks like there's *plenty* of cool stuff in it..

http://nwn.bioware.com/players/cep.html

Quote:
New unreleased creatures not available anywhere else and over 450 community creatures, such as goblins, owlbears, and gelugons. Many of these creatures also feature wing and tail nodes.
Two new dynamic creatures suitable for PCs: the Wemic and the Brownie.
14 completely new weapon types, including the falchion, maul, nunchaku, and trident, and new components for thousands of unique weapons.
324 new shields. There's also new components for thousands of unique armor and clothing types.
772 new inventory icons including rings, robes and books, and 90 new items from holy symbols to musical instruments.
1,448 new placeables from plates and bowls to siege engines, ships, and towers.
121 new NPC portraits for dwarves, elves, gnomes, halflings, humans, half-elves, half-orcs, wemics, and driders.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:44 AM   #30
Psychonaut

I think Dragonshard is already out.

Part RTS game Part dungeon crawl

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=61343
Old 10-31-2005, 09:09 PM   #31
capsized.

Ah, you're right, Lucien... Holy crap, I did also install NWN patch 1.66. Either those skyboxes are a real performance hog or my system sucks big time. Or both.

Now playing: Some horror themed modules (this time of the year again, heh?)
Shadows Over Innsmouth and some zombie and Ravenloft adventures.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:53 AM   #32
capsized.

LOL. I'd recommend this to anyone who has got a copy of NWN:

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view...Detail&id=1794

Nice puzzles and good writing! And a funny (and at the same time disturbing) story. You're even allowed to talk to the town's animals, after you've received a particular item.