You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Shadow of the Colossus reviews

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2006, 03:04 PM   #61
A Servicable Villain

I kind of get that from the entire game
Old 02-26-2006, 02:53 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux
I kind of get that from the entire game
Yeah, me too, but the last one did top all the others in an amazing way.
Old 03-04-2006, 10:57 AM   #63
Headbanger

So is there even a remote chance that ICO or SotC will come to PC as well?
Old 03-04-2006, 11:31 AM   #64
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

I don't think so, those games being Sony exclusives and all...
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 05-04-2006, 07:00 PM   #65
is not wierd

Just finished it. What an experience! Although the camera was very frustrating at parts, that was really my only complaint.

Even though it wasn't long the game felt very epic in scope -- the incredible battles, the immense seamless world, the intriguing story (intriguing because of the lack of details). It all came together to form a very powerful sum by the end of it.

Spoiler:
Holy cow that ending was crazy. I was expecting a tragic ending (the peculiarly lifeless world was very unsettling for me), and it seemed like just letting the end be he finishes up the colossi, gets the girl, ride off into sunset, et al, seemed too nicely wrapped considering the premise. I was actually expecting either the hero to die as a sacrifice to bring the girl back, or else should would be brought back and the horsemen would come in and kill her for such-and-such reason, or both would die. I actually almost cried playing as the hero again particularly after the one guy thre ethe sword into the pool and he was basically trying to get to the girl even as everything was being sucked into the pool. And it's so wierd because it's not like the game told us anything about any of the characters; there was no reason for me to care so much, but because of how well crafted the story/game was it worked... This Ueda guy knows how to make a game story, that's for sure. Enigmatic, yet powerful.

On to Ico.

Spoiler:
Speaking of which, I noticed that the baby the hero turned into had horns... coincidence? I haven't played Ico yet (but am familiar with the basic premise of the boy being sacrificed because he has horns, etc...) so I for one can't say. I also though that the girl in SotC looked a lot like the girl in Ico, from what little I've seen of her.

Last edited by Spiwak; 05-04-2006 at 07:06 PM.
Old 05-04-2006, 07:34 PM   #66

SotC really has one of the better endings of any game I've played recently. I really didn't like the final Colossi, though, so that was something of a downer for me. Overall, I liked the experience, but it didn't have the same effect on me that ICO did.
Old 05-05-2006, 01:38 AM   #67
is not wierd

The last two colossi were rather annoying, I thought.
Old 05-05-2006, 05:02 AM   #68
Party On Dudes

i didn't know anyone was playing this aswell, i bought it for tan about three months ago and i gotta say it's amazing, the camera can get annoying but it just feels likem a piece of art. and i agree that the ending was untypical thus great, loved every minute of it.

www.myspace.com/rabhiphop
Old 05-05-2006, 06:04 AM   #69
In an evening of July...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiwak
The last two colossi were rather annoying, I thought.
I loved the last colossus. It was even more epic than the ones before him, and the fight lasted much longer without getting repetitive.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:49 AM   #70
is not wierd

About the 16th colossus...
Spoiler:
I'm not denying it felt very epic. I just disliked when I fell off the hands because of the awkward camera angle or whatever, I'd fall and lose half my health, have to climb all the back up again and repeat the hand transfers....and all this trying to figure out what I thought was a difficult puzzle compared to most of the game (that is, having to shoot an invisible weak spot on the shoulder.) So yea, give nthat I'd say that part of it was annoying. Other than that, it was quite a grandiose battle...having to run around when he's shootign stuff at you and then climb up his humongous body.

I seriously spent the most time trying to figure out the 15th colossus. I was able to climb up his knee pads although it was very very awkward to do and I had to do it several times but that was how I hit the weak spot on his hand. Apparently that wasn't the real method, but it worked despite the fact the camera was working for the colossus.

In general though I loved fighting the huge bosses just because it was such an incredible experience. Though the small bosses were probably tougher because they were faster and I actually had to worry about dying, I was less impressed simply because they weren't gynormous like, say, 9 or 16.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:46 PM   #71
Super Moderator

An interesting story. They used this game in the new Adam Sandler/Don Cheadle movie, Reign Over Me:

http://kotaku.com/gaming/top/feature...ian-246286.php
Old 03-22-2007, 03:19 PM   #72
eXo

I'm really surprised how in depth the inclusion of the game is.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:11 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXo View Post
Heh, at first I thought you were being sarcastic, but after reading the article (more or less), it seems you weren't.

It's nice to see games being used for something more than just two kids playing a violent action game or racing game in a movie.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:27 AM   #74
Homer of Kittens

By the way speaking of the colossus, the same team is currently working on a game exclusively for the PS3. Imagine the possibilities

Firefox rules
Old 03-23-2007, 08:59 AM   #75

Obviously exclusive to the PS3, since it's a Sony developer.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:27 PM   #76
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonBlue View Post
Heh, at first I thought you were being sarcastic, but after reading the article (more or less), it seems you weren't.

It's nice to see games being used for something more than just two kids playing a violent action game or racing game in a movie.
I thought it was cool. They seemed to use the game as a metaphor for his (Adam Sandler's character) own life struggles.