Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   General (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/)
-   -   Mass Effect (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/10980-mass-effect.html)

Dasilva 03-29-2006 01:45 PM

I know the feeling, why cant they just release it for PC, its not like they wont loss money. The problem is if they make a PC port then there won't be any games to sell the system.

jjacob 03-29-2006 02:10 PM

There's a PC version coming? :9~ I am so NOT getting a 360 if that's the case :D

Dasilva 03-29-2006 02:15 PM

Erm, I dont think so.:shifty:

NcroManiac 03-29-2006 02:44 PM

I've never tought that Bioware was anything but Black Isle's shadow and Mass Effect does precious little to sway me from that opinion. Nice graphics though.

Spiwak 03-29-2006 02:52 PM

I used to think they basically were Black Isle. But now that Black Isle's gone BioWare is (for me) the best RPG developer around. It's actually ironic you say that since what is the remnants of Black Isle (Obsidian entertainment) has thus far made only sequels to BioWare games (KotOR: Sith Lords and the upcoming Neverwinter Nights II). I think they just recently announced they were working on their own property in the near future.

EDIT: In fact here's the article:
Quote:

SEGA PARTNERS WITH OBSIDIAN ENTERTAINMENT TO CREATE ORIGINAL CONTENT FOR NEXT GENERATION CONSOLES

Deal Marks Another Milestone in Publisher's Western Growth Strategy

SAN FRANCISCO & LONDON (March 23, 2006) - SEGA® of America, Inc. and SEGA® Europe, Ltd. today announced a new partnership with Obsidian Entertainment, Inc., an entertainment software development studio based in Orange County, CA. Under the terms of the worldwide deal, SEGA and Obsidian will collaboratively develop an original role playing game (RPG) for PC, PlayStation®3 (PS3) and the Xbox 360™.

The deal signifies SEGA's continuing drive to produce high-quality Western content for current and next-generation consoles. Obsidian, best known for the hugely popular RPG Knights of the Old Republic™ 2: The Sith Lords, is also currently working on the much-anticipated sequel to Neverwinter Nights™.

"The development team at Obsidian has 'proven track record' stamped all over it," said Simon Jeffery, President and COO, SEGA of America, Inc. "When SEGA decided to create a fresh and captivating RPG franchise for new generations of hardware, we immediately knew who we wanted to work with."

"We are excited to be working with a great publisher like SEGA as they are willing and excited to launch new and visionary IP on next generation consoles," said Feargus Urquhart, CEO of Obsidian Entertainment, Inc. "At Obsidian, our focus is to make exceptional games and we see SEGA as a true partner in achieving that goal for our next epic RPG."

The deal is the latest in a string of similar announcements from SEGA that underscore the company's increased emphasis on Western content development. Previously, SEGA announced partnerships with developers Secret Level, Silicon Knights, Bizarre Creations, Monolith Productions (Condemned: Criminal Origins™), and Pseudo Interactive (Full Auto™). SEGA also acquired development powerhouse The Creative Assembly (Total War series) in 2005.

NcroManiac 03-29-2006 03:10 PM

I felt that KotORII: Sith Lords had the potential to outshine it's predisessor in every way, and the story (or at least the bits we saw of it) was much more deeper than any Bioware game by far.
Had they actualy been given the time to finish it, it would have been the best Star Wars epic ever.

I'm sorry, I don't actualy hate Bioware, they make some great games. Im just sad that other RPG developers with superior ideals get torn appart (mainly Black Isle and Troika).

Spiwak 03-29-2006 04:08 PM

I don't think I played anything from Troika, but I know how you feel wit Black Isle at least. I was very sad when Interplay's problems interfered with all the great things they were doing there (Planescape 2 apparently, and of course Fallout 3). I hope Obsidian is able to get those licenses back and do what they had planned. Of course, Bethesda already has Fallout and I doubt they'd give it up so easily, but as far as I know the Planescape license is just sitting around collecting dust. Of course, the fact they're even around is awesome and moreover that they're (now) making a game all their own.

weemies 04-02-2006 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NcroManiac
I felt that KotORII: Sith Lords had the potential to outshine it's predisessor in every way, and the story (or at least the bits we saw of it) was much more deeper than any Bioware game by far.
Had they actualy been given the time to finish it, it would have been the best Star Wars epic ever.

I'm sorry, I don't actualy hate Bioware, they make some great games. Im just sad that other RPG developers with superior ideals get torn appart (mainly Black Isle and Troika).

IMO everything about KOTOR 2 was worse than in the original KOTOR. Especially the story.

And I do love BioWare, if only for KOTOR, which is my favorite game ever along with Fallout, but I'm not buying a 360. I bought an XBOX just for Jade Empire and it was a great game, but that was the last time I will buy a console just for one game. It's just not worth it. I'm very disappointed if this game will be a console exclusive, too.

Oh, and I'm not really a Star Wars fan either, and I still loved KOTOR. Well I do love the original trilogy.

samIamsad 04-02-2006 12:12 PM

I'm also longing for a new big epic adventure. Like the "Baldur's Gate" series, the "Fallout games", "Ultima 7" and so on. Still haven't played "Arcanum" and "Vampire: Bloodlines" and "Gothic 2", so there's no reason to complain for me, really. Thinking about it, I'm actually overfed with games. There's still a one gig abandonware folder and plenty emulator stuff on my hard disk that I'm accessing constantly. Even if there wouldn't be any new games in development anymore, I'd be fed until I die. Probably. And it's not like there have been that many dramatic changes and earth-shattering fresh ideas during the last couple of years, either. "Why bother about the new shit when most of the new shit is nothing but the old shit?", they say. At least Nintendo seems to be trying at the moment. The people involved in marketing are sure making a great job in this industry. So Bioware isn't going to release this game for my machine? *shrugs* There's plenty other fish in the sea (for me, far too many anyway). Admittedly, the real gems are super rare and the stinkers are plenty, but hey. ;)

OT (or: Why I'm using my PC as a gaming machine): I've been using a computer for gaming since.. like forever, starting way back in the 80s with some 8 bit machines. I did own some consoles. A Gameboy, a Super Nintendo (Super Famicon for some of you). I'm probably not one of 'em hardcore gamers. Read: I'm not feeling the need to fork out cash on hard- and/or software on a regular basis. In fact, I do it very, very rarely anymore and haven't bought a game for months now. "The times, they are a-changing". As such, I'm not willing to pay money for a machine I don't really need. Okay, make that "At the moment I'm not willing to blahblah". Okay? ;) I need a PC for writing, I used to need it for programing and it can play more games than I could ever finish in my entire life, too. I'm all set. Whoo! Awesome.

Still nice to see Capcom porting their latest "Resident Evil" game. :9 I sure hope Konami is going to continue porting the "Silent Hill" series, too.

jjacob 04-02-2006 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dasilva
Erm, I dont think so.:shifty:

D'oh! Oh well, plenty other good RPGs coming..
Quote:

Originally Posted by weemies
IMO everything about KOTOR 2 was worse than in the original KOTOR. Especially the story.

I felt it improved on certain aspects of the first game though, notably gameplay and UI, but yeah, I agree, the story was not on the level of first game, but you have to agree it was a really nice effort, certainly for a sequel.
Quote:

Originally Posted by seemies
And I do love BioWare, if only for KOTOR, which is my favorite game ever along with Fallout, but I'm not buying a 360. I bought an XBOX just for Jade Empire and it was a great game, but that was the last time I will buy a console just for one game. It's just not worth it. I'm very disappointed if this game will be a console exclusive, too.

Same here, so far I've only seen one or two games worth buying a next-gen console for, which is not enough (for me) to justify spending an outrageous amount of money for a 360 and possibly a HDTV (which, after all, you'd need to really enjoy the "next-gen-ness"). I'd rather get a nice new PC and a sweet 30" Dell TFT for that kind of money.
Quote:

Originally Posted by samIamsad
'm also longing for a new big epic adventure. Like the "Baldur's Gate" series, the "Fallout games", "Ultima 7" and so on. Still haven't played "Arcanum" and "Vampire: Bloodlines" and "Gothic 2", so there's no reason to complain for me, really.

I still haven't gotten very far in Gothic 2 (just got Oblivion..) but it's a good game so far, and as for Bloodlines.. awesome stuff, I would buy the sequel without a moment's thought :)

weemies 04-02-2006 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjacob
I felt it improved on certain aspects of the first game though, notably gameplay and UI, but yeah, I agree, the story was not on the level of first game, but you have to agree it was a really nice effort, certainly for a sequel.

Actually I don't. I played the original for hundreds and hundreds of hours, three months pretty much straight. Yes I know... very sick, but hey, I was obsessed :devil: KOTOR2, on the other hand, I played through probably twice (once LS, once DS) and maybe some unfinished play-throughs with different character builds. It just didn't seem up to par compared to the original, in almost any way. But hey that's just me. And BTW I have since replayed the original and while I'm definitely somewhat sick of it by now, I still find it a more enjoyable experience.

Quote:

Same here, so far I've only seen one or two games worth buying a next-gen console for, which is not enough (for me) to justify spending an outrageous amount of money for a 360 and possibly a HDTV (which, after all, you'd need to really enjoy the "next-gen-ness"). I'd rather get a nice new PC and a sweet 30" Dell TFT for that kind of money.
Wow, that's funny you happened to mention the 30" Dell, and I do assume you mean the ultra-wicked 3007WFP, because I happen to own one. KOTOR @ 2560x1600 is sheer heaven let me tell you. :D Too bad the widescreen support isn't native, and it's very buggy.

One might make the argument that if I have the cash to get a monitor like that, I should have the money to get a 360 too. Well maybe I do but it's also a matter of principle. I don't want to support console gaming, when it has almost nothing to offer me, and when it's the main thing that's killing PC gaming (which I love).

jjacob 04-02-2006 06:27 PM

Quote:

Actually I don't. I played the original for hundreds and hundreds of hours, three months pretty much straight. Yes I know... very sick, but hey, I was obsessed :devil: KOTOR2, on the other hand, I played through probably twice (once LS, once DS) and maybe some unfinished play-throughs with different character builds. It just didn't seem up to par compared to the original, in almost any way. But hey that's just me. And BTW I have since replayed the original and while I'm definitely somewhat sick of it by now, I still find it a more enjoyable experience.

:D Actually, I played KOTOR2 first and when I decided I wanted more, I played the original, so that might affect my judgement slightly ;) Nonetheless I truly enjoyed KOTOR2, and I wouldn't mind replaying it (except I'd probably stop near the ending and never play it again :P). Oh and I almost forgot the new "influence" system, that was pretty cool.
Quote:

Wow, that's funny you happened to mention the 30" Dell, and I do assume you mean the ultra-wicked 3007WFP, because I happen to own one. KOTOR @ 2560x1600 is sheer heaven let me tell you. :D Too bad the widescreen support isn't native, and it's very buggy.

One might make the argument that if I have the cash to get a monitor like that, I should have the money to get a 360 too. Well maybe I do but it's also a matter of principle. I don't want to support console gaming, when it has almost nothing to offer me, and when it's the main thing that's killing PC gaming (which I love).

:crazy: 2560x1600?! Holy...erhm cow! What sort of PC u have there? Must be SLI, or worse, that Dual-SLI Renegade Dell :P Oh man, you're one lucky bastard :) Ah well, atleast you have principles :D

weemies 04-03-2006 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjacob
:crazy: 2560x1600?! Holy...erhm cow! What sort of PC u have there? Must be SLI, or worse, that Dual-SLI Renegade Dell :P Oh man, you're one lucky bastard :) Ah well, atleast you have principles :D

:D Ok, so I guess you didn't mean the 3007, judging from your reaction.

Yeah, the resolution is insane but so is the user in this case, so it's a perfect match. :devil:

And actually I don't have a SLi setup. I didn't get the monitor solely for gaming purposes. I just have a single 7800GT card, and it works fine with some games even @ the aforementioned native resolution. Psychonauts is a good example.

/end offtopic

jjacob 04-03-2006 04:02 PM

[off-topic]I don't know, I'd rather have a big monitor with a smaller native resolution such as 1600x1200, so one would still be able to play very demanding games (like Oblivion :crazy: ) reasonably well. BTW, how's the monitor's response time? I have a 19" Sony TFT with 2ms in the other room, which I don't use for gaming but just as well might - do the big 30" TFTs still have a decent (sub 8ms) response time? I could visit the Dell website but since manufacturers always lie about response time anyway, it wouldn't make me any wiser..[/off-topic]

Spiwak 04-10-2006 02:23 AM

I'm still waiting for the day when BioWare announces that they're also releasing it for PC bundled with Jade Empire (also for PC). Microsoft seriously needs a smack in the face.

Spiwak 04-12-2006 02:58 PM

Firingsquad.com interviewed Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk about BioWare's upcoming MMORPG and MAss Effect here

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Zeschuk
Mass Effect is looking terrific! In every way we’ve made steps to innovate and improve our approach to creating an interactive game world. So experiencing it all together is an incredible, truly “next-gen” experience. The atmosphere of Mass Effect is surprisingly immersive and emotionally gripping, making the gigantic story concept all the more compelling - it’s like a spectacularly beautiful science-fiction painting brought to life.

Mass Effect is the first in a trilogy of sci-fi action RPGs in development for the Xbox 360. Set in the year 2183, you play the only Human SPECTRE – a sworn defender of galactic stability. You’ll lead en elite squad against the advancing armies of a legendary agent gone rogue, before discovering an even greater galactic threat. In addition to an epic story arc, Mass Effect allows players to visit a vast number of uncharted, unexplored planets to discover new alien life, ruined civilizations and powerful technologies; in the end, nothing will hold you back in your heroic quest. Mass Effect is an original intellectual property created and owned by BioWare, and published by Microsoft. The story will evolve over three main games – each with a huge and satisfying conclusion. Downloadable content will continue the story in between games, so that there is always new content to play in the Mass Effect world, especially when combined with the exploration of “uncharted worlds”. Players can create their own personal character for Mass Effect, and then play that character through the biggest interactive science-fiction adventure ever told!

Mass Effect’s combat is quite unique and innovative for a story-based action-RPG; it is real-time squad-based combat played in a third person format. You’ll be in command of a squad of three (your main character included) and each character will have a choice of specialty-class skills that will offer different and compelling tactical advantages in combat. Combat is very tactical, as you can allow your squad to use their own AI or give detailed commands that allow your team to coordinate their actions on the battlefield. Each character on the battlefield can bring unique skill-sets to the table and it will be up to the player to both cultivate those powers and also to think tactically to survive. You’ll be able to draw from a wide range of aggressive combat feats, including both dangerous tech-based attacks and also powerful Biotic powers which manipulate mysterious physics forces to unleash tremendous energies on the enemy.

Speaking of characters, the virtual actors in Mass Effect are truly state of the art – they have to be seen to be believed. Detailed, incredibly realistic facial movement with full lipsyncing and dialog (including dialog from your main character) and smooth, realistic animation help convey the feeling you’re interacting with real personalities in the game, and help move the story along in a very natural way. And we’re innovating in dialog a lot too, to make the story that much more compelling. We plan to share some exciting new details about the game at E3 2006 and show off all these cool features in person there – Mass Effect is BioWare’s main focus at the E3 show this year.

I for one find it all very interesting. A trilogy...and downloadable content to keep the experience going. I just wish they'd release it for PC, dammit!

Rayvielle 04-12-2006 03:21 PM

Jade Empire is probably one of my top 10 fave games. I felt it did all the things that Star Wars should have. I enjoyed KOTOR, good story, but the combat was restrained. I appreciated Jade's freedom much more!

I wish they'd bring it out for PC too.

But hey, PC owners get Halo 2 next year. So can't totally fault Microsoft. :D

Spiwak 04-12-2006 06:21 PM

Yea but the difference is that I don't care about the Halo series. There hasn't been a game exclusive to the Xbox that I've really felt a need to play before Mass Effect. Gamecube had a few games (namely, Wind Waker) that I really wanted to play but that wasn't that big of a deal.

I just don't understand why BioWare would sign up for these exclusive deals. They're powerful enough that they don't need to listen to Microsoft, and I can't imagine creating a game for 360 isn't that different than creating one for the PC, since the 360 is basically a PC with a default gamepad and lamer internet access... I dunno, I guess there must be something to it, though.

I can live with it if it just turns out to be a delayed PC release like Cthulhu.

Fop 04-13-2006 02:27 AM

The 360 has a whole different type of processor than PCs, a PowerPC processor with three cores. It's not the same.

Dasilva 04-13-2006 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fop
The 360 has a whole different type of processor than PCs, a PowerPC processor with three cores. It's not the same.

And? Its still possible to make a port. The developers would just switch off all the pretty light effects. :P