You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2007, 09:52 PM   #321

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

"Mass Effect coming for PC in 2007, trustworthy source say"
Old 03-02-2007, 12:37 AM   #322
gin soaked boy

You can bet your ass on that not happening (coming to PC in 2007 - where did he that part from anyway?). Besides, in a feature in the previous issue of Edge they said Dragon Age was the reason Bioware has been away from the PC for so long.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:46 AM   #323
Wading down the amazon

Send a message via MSN to makini

Yeah.. And both of those productions seems to take some considerable amount of their time
Old 03-02-2007, 02:58 AM   #324

I don't think you would be required to read these novels...

You can ofcourse do so if you so wish, but my guess is that there won't be a quizz you will need to take... before you're allowed to buy or even play the game

I think it is a nice way to keep the people's interest in Mass Effect going as well as getting (younger) people to read...

As I recall a number of Forgotten Realms books were published, and I hope
Drew Karpyshyn's books are better....
Old 03-02-2007, 05:56 AM   #325
Fop
Epsilon-Minus Semi-Moron

There are tons and tons of Forgotten Realms books, published years before Baldur's Gate.
Old 03-03-2007, 02:15 PM   #326
merely human

click pics for large version.

Very nice, yes.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 03-03-2007, 02:27 PM   #327
Fop
Epsilon-Minus Semi-Moron

The fucking thing has depth of field as well? Ooh, my wallet...
Old 03-03-2007, 05:06 PM   #328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fop View Post
The fucking thing has depth of field as well? Ooh, my wallet...
Pretty sure that's a pre-rendered movie, same as when Hellgate London first surfaced. If you'll notice two of the screens show depth of field while the other one does not - or if you look at other screenies from the same scene (the man and woman) they same shot looks vastly different depending on lots of various things.

Would depth of field be cool? You bet. It it possible? Maybe - I know Crysis is claiming to have it running in-game so it's possible Mass Effect will have it as well.
Old 03-04-2007, 12:38 AM   #329
gin soaked boy

It's real-time, I don't think there will even be prerendered cutscenes in Mass Effect.

Real-time depth of field effect has been achievable for some time now, I remember Beyond Good & Evil using it.
Old 03-04-2007, 02:40 AM   #330
Fop
Epsilon-Minus Semi-Moron

Even Outcast had depth of field, way back when, but it's a cool effect that more games should have.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:24 PM   #331
merely human

Playing throught Condemned: Criminal Origins demo again (for umpteenth time). It uses depth of field as well (post filtering effect?), and does so nicely.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 03-05-2007, 03:38 PM   #332
merely human

Also, Tomb Raider: Legend uses depth of field as part of its gameplay (albeit quite marginally) - the binoculars focus according to where and what you position it on, pointing out objects in the world to manipulate.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:30 AM   #333
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
Also, Tomb Raider: Legend uses depth of field as part of its gameplay (albeit quite marginally) - the binoculars focus according to where and what you position it on, pointing out objects in the world to manipulate.
You beat me to it! Give other people a chance to say stuff!!

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 03-09-2007, 03:46 PM   #334
merely human

And I thought you're supposed to be pretty fast with that tongue of yours.

It's rumoured to have a launch date of somewhere in July (if not June). Kinda makes sense considering Bioshock is slated for late August. Microsoft wouldn't want two of their biggest releases fighting each other for attention.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:13 PM   #335
DAVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fop View Post
Even Outcast had depth of field, way back when, but it's a cool effect that more games should have.
Oh man I tried to play that on XP last night and PHAILED I miss that game.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:45 AM   #336

Waaaaaaaaaah! I want ME for PC. I can't get a 360 just for one game. I want the PC-rumors to be true, but there's no way in hell the game would be released on PC this year.

Bioware
Old 03-12-2007, 09:11 AM   #337
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Quote:
Originally Posted by weemies View Post
Waaaaaaaaaah! I want ME for PC. I can't get a 360 just for one game. I want the PC-rumors to be true, but there's no way in hell the game would be released on PC this year.

Bioware
Think about it, all we do is wait an extra year or so and we get a better version than the Xbox 360. Like Jade Empire, we get the shiny one with new content.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 03-12-2007, 09:11 AM   #338
Fop
Epsilon-Minus Semi-Moron

You could buy Bioshock as well.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:31 AM   #339

I think we all should thank Bioware ofr making ME and Jade Empire for the Xbox first. The huge influx oof money to Bioware is what has saved a PC game Dragon Age, which btw looks really really promising, from being halted, stopped or cancelled.

It is fairly clear to me that M$ needed a game, a sort of cross breed between the traditional FPS and the traditionel RPG type game, to get its (new) console Xbox 360 well off the ground, and to help usher the Xbox 360 into the market. (in what MS apparently thought was it rightfull place....).

Hence, they gave Bioware loads and loads of money, which Bioware then used to develop JE and ME for the Xbox - as well as Dragon Age for the PC.

Don't take my word it:
Patrick Weekes who hangs out over at rpgwatch.com has said this in a post somewhere on the rpgwatch's forums.

He has also said that if you really mean what you say, you should all (as I I'm going to do) go out and buy Jade Empire:SE. This way publishers, and developers too, will know that the old PC gaming horse isn't quite dead yet.
It's a shame, really, but that's how the system works ---

On a somewhat related note:

I saw a video podcast (a vodcast?) from OXM magazine (I think) where these two dudes/guys talk about Gears of War, and the combat looked somewhat
similar to the combat in ME. You can use any buildings to take cover, and you can lean out and shoot fat the enemy as well. You can, I think, also give orders to your teammates.

This combat looks a lot like the combat in Mass Effect. Is is just me or am I onto something here ??

If not, how is the combat in ME different from the combat in Gears of War
(assuming you have played Gears of War, of course).

And about the rumours about ME coming to the PC. My experience is that these rumours might (and I said might) be true. Look at the rumours about Jade Empire coming to the PC. They started probably ½-1 year before Bioware officially announced it, and look at the rumours about Shivering Isles. The same thing happened. But them again, Bioware could decide not to do this, but I think they have had many requests on their ME forum to do this.
Therefore, I would say, that, yes, it is possible, but don't get your hopes up to high.

And also, if this is going to happen, then ME willbe released under M$ *Games for Windows* platform. Since Microsoft very well knows that there is a huge PC market out there which isn't the same as the Xbox market - necessarily.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:41 AM   #340
Psychonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
Seemingly Halo 3 will not have depth of field.