Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   General (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/)
-   -   Mass Effect (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/10980-mass-effect.html)

insane_cobra 12-09-2006 12:30 AM

God, Trep, you sound like a commercial. :)

The game sure looks impressive, but I think it's too early to be making such conclusions based solely on a couple of videos. But if they do pull it off... http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/2094/eekdu1.gif

I loved the concept drawings in the December issue of Edge, seems like there's going to be a lot more variety to the environments than what's been shown in the officially released materials so far.

Intrepid Homoludens 12-09-2006 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by insane_cobra (Post 371869)
God, Trep, you sound like a commercial. :)

:P Can't help it. This, along with Assassin's Creed and Bioshock, are what I'm stoked for - in the worst way.

Quote:

The game sure looks impressive, but I think it's too early to be making such conclusions based solely on a couple of videos. But if they do pull it off... http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/2094/eekdu1.gif
Well, this is Bioware we're talking about after all. How different would that be from, say, Jane Jensen announcing the fourth Gabriel Knight game using the Unreal 3 engine or the Source engine and utilizing A.I. and PhysX in some of the puzzles? ;)

You seriously need to see this video on an HDTV. It's practically the game itself already!

Quote:

...seems like there's going to be a lot more variety to the environments than what's been shown in the officially released materials so far.
They also emphatically stated that there would be plans for further downloadable content. Imagine, after over 80 hours and finally completing the game, you can download a new unexplored planet or other new things.

Dasilva 12-13-2006 01:38 AM

Lol, Trepsie you make me laugh. But your right, this IS Bioware. Expect a A* game every time. :)

Intrepid Homoludens 12-13-2006 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dasilva (Post 372934)
Lol, Trepsie you make me laugh.

:) Glad I could be of some service.

Intrepid Homoludens 01-18-2007 08:29 PM

http://media.ign.com/thumb/149/14954...7436_thumb.jpg http://media.ign.com/thumb/107/10767...2246_thumb.jpg

Episodic content is the future for BioWare titles | ComputerAndVideogames.com

Thursday 18-Jan-2007 10:27 AM | Mass Effect developer tells CVG it has "big plans" for additional material for numerous projects

Quote:

It's already know that BioWare is to release episodic content for its forthcoming Xbox 360 game Mass Effect, but the developer has now revealed it's expanding episodic release plans to cover additional projects.

"...we have big plans afoot at BioWare for post-release and episodic content for upcoming cool BioWare games like Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Jade Empire: Special Edition and other upcoming BioWare titles, both on console and PC", BioWare CEO Ray Muzyka divulged in an interview with CVG which we'll be publishing shortly.

Speaking further about online initiatives, Muzyka said, "There have been a lot of innovations in the PC space in online games - World of Warcraft and other MMOs continue to expand the business and we're excited about joining that world ourselves with the upcoming title we're developing down with our great team at BioWare Austin [BioWare's in-development MMORPG] - and digital distribution and episodic content".

MdaG 01-19-2007 08:34 AM

*Drool*
This sure looks like one tasty game. I'm more pleased than ever with my 360 purchase now :P

My only complaint with Mass Effect is that aliens speak English with human voices which sounds strange in my ears.

insane_cobra 01-19-2007 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MdaG (Post 382732)
*Drool*
My only complaint with Mass Effect is that aliens speak English with human voices which sounds strange in my ears.

Why, have you ever heard aliens speak? :)

It's a science fiction game, they probably wear translators of some kind. PSPs with that Talkman program, possibly. :D

MdaG 01-19-2007 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by insane_cobra (Post 382735)
Why, have you ever heard aliens speak? :)

It's a science fiction game, they probably wear translators of some kind. PSPs with that Talkman program, possibly. :D

I want aliens to sound alien goddammit!! :P

Intrepid Homoludens 01-19-2007 09:54 AM

;) Well, they could talk in their native tongue (if they even have tongues), except that Bioware would have to hire a linguist to invent at least two or three alien languages and that would take quite a bit of time and money over what they're already spending.

Besides, it's simply conventional that we viewers/players presume that they're either wearing electronic devices that automatically translate, or that English had become the universally spoken language across the galaxies (much like it is today around the world).

But yeah, it would be great if they can speak their own language and we'd get English subtitles instead, like how they did it in KOTOR. In Jade Empire they did actually hire a linguist to create 'Old Tongue', a kind of dialect spoken by some peoples in the empire and you just read the subtitles - imparts the gameworld with authenticity.

MdaG 01-19-2007 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens (Post 382752)
;) Well, they could talk in their native tongue (if they even have tongues), except that Bioware would have to hire a linguist to invent at least two or three alien languages and that would take quite a bit of time and money over what they're already spending.

Besides, it's simply conventional that we viewers/players presume that they're either wearing electronic devices that automatically translate, or that English had become the universally spoken language across the galaxies (much like it is today around the world).

But yeah, it would be great if they can speak their own language and we'd get English subtitles instead, like how they did it in KOTOR. In Jade Empire they did actually hire a linguist to create 'Old Tongue', a kind of dialect spoken by some peoples in the empire and you just read the subtitles - imparts the gameworld with authenticity.

I liked the KOTOR solution. Besides it would've taken away from the immersion had the hutts sounded like Michael Jackson or similar ;)

insane_cobra 01-19-2007 10:57 AM

Maybe not all aliens will speak English, we'll just have to wait and see.

Dasilva 01-19-2007 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MdaG (Post 382755)
I liked the KOTOR solution. Besides it would've taken away from the immersion had the hutts sounded like Michael Jackson or similar ;)

GOD NO! The most annoying thing in Kotor are those damn looping alien voices, I don't even read them I just end up clicking the B button alot more. ;)

MdaG 01-19-2007 03:53 PM

It might be just me, but I've always preferred the "aliens" from sci-fi universes like Wing Commander, Star Wars and Battlestar Galactica to those of Babylon V, Star Trek and Farscape. The former are just more believable to me. Too humanoid and English speaking just make them feel human to me.

Spiwak 01-19-2007 05:05 PM

Aliens are people, too, man.

Intrepid Homoludens 01-19-2007 08:23 PM

Yeah. Mission Vao's such a babe.

insane_cobra 01-20-2007 12:39 AM

A new interview is up on IGN, with some new screenshots and concept art. Looking good, as usual.

Intrepid Homoludens 01-20-2007 09:45 AM

Thanks, cobsie.

< faints >

< gets back up >

http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/...9010127888.jpg

There's something....I dunno, particularly stylish and light about the visual design of this game. It has something many other games (no matter what genre) lack, though I can't quite put my finger on it. It just looks.....clean and elegant, naturalistic, even fashionable. It's not bulky and clunky looking (like Gears of War).

The way the characters stand, their gestures, poses. I also noticed it in KOTOR and Jade Empire, but nowhere near as refined as here in Mass Effect. That's it. Refinement. :)

http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/...9010136576.jpg

insane_cobra 01-20-2007 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens (Post 383070)
There's something....I dunno, particularly stylish and light about the visual design of this game. It has something many other games (no matter what genre) lack, though I can't quite put my finger on it. It just looks.....clean and elegant, naturalistic, even fashionable. It's not bulky and clunky looking (like Gears of War).

I don't know, but Hajime Sorayama has definitely influenced the design of that female character.

jedicri 01-20-2007 12:06 PM

OK that's it..... I've definately decided to get a 360!

BTW, any of you guys have any suggestions on what I should do with my old X-Box. I've as yet undecided if I should keep it for a while longer or not...

Intrepid Homoludens 01-20-2007 12:12 PM

Keep it until you have your 360, at least. Are there any games you have for it that are not [yet] backwards compatible with the 360 that you absolutely must play again?

I decided to just keep mine. I recently acquired Armed & Dangerous, and that's not b/c with the 360 so I have to play it on the original Xbox. I also have many savegames on it. Very convenient when I get all sentimental about KOTOR and decide to just jump in at points to experience that world again.