You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Nintendo Revolution controller revealed. Pure crap?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2005, 08:29 PM   #1
OB

Default Nintendo Revolution controller revealed. Pure crap?

Why can't Nintendo just do something normal for a change? I want to play games with a gamepad...not a remote control. It looks cool, but I just can't see this being practical for gaming; thus it's crap, or I'm missing something big.

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images..._screen001.jpg
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images..._screen002.jpg
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images..._screen005.jpg
Old 09-15-2005, 08:40 PM   #2
merely human

What? This has to be a joke. A game controller that looks and feels like a standard remote control?

I....um....
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-15-2005, 08:45 PM   #3
ACK!

Send a message via MSN to Tanukitsune

I refuse to believe this is real, it has way too little buttons, the only thing we know for sure is that we can play NES, SNES and N64 games on it, and there aren't enough button to play a SNES games and much less a N64 one!

It defies logic, all pads need one hand on the gamepad, and another on the buttons, if this was for real, it could only mean that the games are going to be so slow paced, that you can AFFORD playing with one hand...

If this is for real, Nintendo has made it's greatest mistake since the time he dumped Sony and refused to continue on with the Snes CD, thus giving birth to his rival the PSOne...

I mean seriously, it has only a few more buttons than a NES controller!
Old 09-15-2005, 08:49 PM   #4
Psychonaut

It looks like stupid remote control.

You can turn it sideways for the classic NES gamepad layout.

I don't see whats revolutionary about it.

It says something about it being like a pointing device. Kinda like those laser pointers so I guess you point it at the screen and move it around to move the onscreen cursor.

Read abit more about how it works here

http://hardware.gamespot.com/Story-ST-15143-2567-x-x-x

You heard it here first Nintendo has gone point and Click for all games. The adventure genre lives again But seriously it is more physically active than current controllers and could be used in an adventure game.

However, I remember the light gun games constant pointing at the screen a clicking is bloody sore on the arms.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:49 PM   #5
OB

It's 100% real. There's a big story on Gamespot about it...Miyamoto is showcasing it to them. I can't believe this...what were they thinking? It looks like it's getting ripped to shreds, so maybe they'll redo it or provide some kind of more standard device.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:54 PM   #6
Least used avatar ever

It's going to be awesome. You shut your faces.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:58 PM   #7
ACK!

Send a message via MSN to Tanukitsune

It's on IGN as well, I still refuse to believe it....

How on Earth do you play fast paced games or even fighting games by waving your "wand" around?

I really hope it's a fake, or all my faith I have in Nintendo will be gone for good, and considering it was the only company I had faith in...
Old 09-15-2005, 09:08 PM   #8
merely human

Don't lose hope just yet. After all, it's just a polished prototype for now. I suspect they're getting yelled at by tons of people by now, so we'll see what new design they come up with after this.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-15-2005, 09:12 PM   #9
merely human

Of course, the whole point-&-click concept could inspire companies that make strategy games and adventure games to flock to Nintendo. But I'm wondering how it would handle action/adventure games and first person shooters.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:12 PM   #10
Jack Bauer loves you

Send a message via AIM to artwking4

I thought it looked like crap, as well, but the more I read and think about it, the more interested I kinda get about it. It still looks like suck, but I think the idea and the principle of it has possibilities. It's like a 3D mouse.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:13 PM   #11

It looks like a good idea, it just depends on how they execute it. I have faith in them, and I think it is time for a new way of playing games.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:13 PM   #12
merely human

But then they could instead design a 'classic' game controller but with an added (or even removable) laser pointer that can be used depending on the type of game.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:15 PM   #13
Psychonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Of course, the whole point-&-click concept could inspire companies that make strategy games and adventure games to flock to Nintendo. But I'm wondering how it would handle action/adventure games and first person shooters.

Well certainly for FPS games the shooting should be way more accurate than the usual console controllers.

Like Artwing said it's basically a 3D mouse.

I initally thought it was naff (and the design is naff), but it might have possibilities.

Wait to see more game stuff.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:17 PM   #14
Least used avatar ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwking4
I thought it looked like crap, as well, but the more I read and think about it, the more interested I kinda get about it. It still looks like suck, but I think the idea and the principle of it has possibilities. It's like a 3D mouse.
Yes, it's much more like a 3D mouse than a 'pointer'. Also with a tilt/rotation sensor.

As far as FPSs go, one of the demos was Metroid Prime 2 redone to support this controller. Basically, you swing it around to look around, and use an attached analog stick (which comes with another two buttons, I think) to move around. And you've got the d-pad to act as more buttons, just as it's done in Metroid Prime.

It's a lot more intuitive for most people to play an FPS game this way, imo.

Anyway, if it's really necessary, you can still hook up your Gamecube controllers, assuming developers support it for new Revolution games.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:20 PM   #15
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moron Lite
It's a lot more intuitive for most people to play an FPS game this way, imo.
How do you know this? Or are you speculating?

There's a learning curve, undeniably, but once that's surmounted, it could be just as intuitive as a mouse/keyboard config for PC games.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:21 PM   #16
Least used avatar ever

I mean, compared to using a dual-analog setup on consoles, or even the original Metroid Prime setup.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:21 PM   #17
Jack Bauer loves you

Send a message via AIM to artwking4

Quote:
But then they could instead design a 'classic' game controller but with an added (or even removable) laser pointer that can be used depending on the type of game.
Instead, or also? There's no reason why they can't make a classic controller available as well for those games that require more buttons and thumbsticks. I'd prefer the all-in-one approach, too, but I'm sure they've given quite a bit of thought into this. And for some reason, a brick shape is what was required.

At least the controller isn't some kind of Rubik's Cube/yo-yo hybrid. Wait, that might be kind of neat, actually.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:23 PM   #18
Psychonaut

Quote:
How do you know this? Or are you speculating?

There's a learning curve, undeniably, but once that's surmounted, it could be just as intuitive as a mouse/keyboard config for PC games.

http://cube.ign.com/articles/651/651224p1.html

has examples of how it migt work.

As well as Adventures using Myst 4 as an example of contolling the hand cursor by holding the button abd moving the controller to pull levers etc.

There is also a trailer showing people waving it about like looneys.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:24 PM   #19
Least used avatar ever

Just to reiterate, Gamecube controller ports are included on the side of the Revolution.

I doubt many developers will use it for Revolution-specific games, but, it's there.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:43 PM   #20
Club a seal or two

Ooooh.
Looks like it's easy to hang it on the wall. I'm sold.