You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Nintendo Revolution controller revealed. Pure crap?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2005, 11:30 AM   #81
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Given that I've yet to be disappointed by a Nintendo product that I've bought, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, and wish them the best of luck. If this works it could be huge, and I'm liking the innovation idea.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 09-16-2005, 11:34 AM   #82
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingzjester
Being a proud representative of the third group of people you bring up, I would just like to point out that you yourself have placed... uh... yourself into the third group... It is the place to be, it is just that you made it seem like all three reactions are narrow-minded.

Yes, what I meant was that everyone shouln't have hung around the group 1 and 2 reception areas and gone straight to group 3, where the real party is.

And yes, HL2 or any FPS would work well with this controller. Yum.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:43 PM   #83

I think it looks cool, and I can imagine some great gameplay possibillities with that controller.

However, I can also imagine that it's going to be tiresome to play games for longer periods of time with it. When I play games on the PC, I rest my arms on a cushion in front of the keyboard & mouse. When I play on the PS2, I rest my arms on my legs. I don't move my hands about like they do when they play console games on TV, that's just too tiresome.

In other words, if I buy a Revolution, I probably won't play the console exclusives that use this controller very much. And then I'll be stuck with Nintendo's back catalogue and a bunch of multiplatform titles that would probably look and play better on the other two formats (which will probably have better technology and controllers more suited to normal, multiplatform-type games than Nintendo's controller add-on will be). Since it's the no doubt very innovative Revolution exclusive games that seems to be the main draw here, I doubt I'll buy a Revolution.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:07 PM   #84
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

How are developers going to port games like Madden 07 and Splinter Cell to the Revolution?

We're going to see a lot less games on the Revolution, than on the other systems.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 09-16-2005, 03:12 PM   #85
Least used avatar ever

I can definitely see problems in terms of porting, at least if you're working with the remote + analog spec in mind (though again, GC controllers are always usable, assuming you have them). If you've got an Xbox 360 game that makes full use of the controller (including use of the d-pad as an extra set of buttons), you're going to have to implement something like gestures with the remote in order to duplicate certain functions.

Anyway, I could care less about ports. Bring on the original games!
Old 09-16-2005, 04:14 PM   #86
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoG
HAHAHAHAHAHA...ehem, sorry, but naivete and pseudo intellectualism of this sort is humorous, and I've been reading it all night. Don't misread me, I don't mean to seem rude, but I found it baffling how the "experts" come out and speak with any authority on the matter, yet the very industry they think wont support it, is genuinely enthused...hmmmm.
Hey, be nice. Soccsie may not know all the facts and such and you may (since you're in the industry and might have sampled the prototype first hand), but you're just being mean by laughing at him and walking all over him. At least just respectfully enlighten him if you think there's something he doesn't know yet. Otherwise this is how flamewars start.

Like I said above, it looks dorky, like some high tech gynecological probe, but I'm sure if I get to play with it a bit I'd get used to it.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-16-2005, 05:19 PM   #87
Tactlessly understated

Send a message via AIM to Kingzjester

This site is full of twats inventing ridiculous porting problems due to painful lack of imagination. It will be beautiful coming back to this thread a year or two from now. Let me make a few predictions and then we'll see what happens:
  • Xbox360 and PS3 will not have many games by third party publishers, except by EA and suchlike fökers who are willing and able to spend fortunes on art resources.
  • Consequently, due to the cost of development, there will be no innovation in PS3 and Xbox games. All we will see will be franchises goose-stepping in from the distance.
  • Xbox360 and PS3 will not have many games ported between them because the architectures will be so horrifically different that porting back and forth will not be feasible without a thorough razing and starting from scratch.
  • Microsoft and Sony will lose this era painfully, not in the way Nintendo lost this generation, but more like Sega did. Only I doubt either would be bankrupt and begging for crack on the street corner any time soon.
  • PC and small-scale developers will embrace the Revolution as long as Nintendo goes a little more liberal with its dev kit distribution, littering us with fresh, neato games.
  • I will embrace the Revolution and happily wrestle with an imaginary spectre while playing its games on my couch, to hell with the rest of you.
Old 09-16-2005, 06:12 PM   #88
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Like I said above, it looks dorky, like some high tech gynecological probe, but I'm sure if I get to play with it a bit I'd get used to it.
Pure, classic, traditional....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingzjester
Microsoft and Sony will lose this era painfully, not in the way Nintendo lost this generation, but more like Sega did. Only I doubt either would be bankrupt and begging for crack on the street corner any time soon.
Wishful thinking? Those guys know how to sell their products. And yeah, Rev all the way! Even though I haven't bought a console in ten (TEN!) years.
Old 09-16-2005, 06:39 PM   #89
FlipFrame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamandMax
How are developers going to port games like Madden 07 and Splinter Cell to the Revolution?

We're going to see a lot less games on the Revolution, than on the other systems.

We're going to see a lot less games on the Revolution because you don't know how developers are going to port these games? Hmmm...there's a lot of I stuff I dont exactly know how they work, yet they seem to do just fine without my knowledge.
Old 09-16-2005, 06:45 PM   #90
FlipFrame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Hey, be nice. Soccsie may not know all the facts and such and you may (since you're in the industry and might have sampled the prototype first hand), but you're just being mean by laughing at him and walking all over him. At least just respectfully enlighten him if you think there's something he doesn't know yet. Otherwise this is how flamewars start.
Hey you know I'm not out to be rude, but at the same time bombastic statements regarding the utter failure of Nintendo do to uninformed opinions is a tad ridiculous(and rampant). I may have not made it clear but I meant that more as a general statment to 'those' naysayers rather than specifically at SoccerDude. As in my last post above, just because YOU(whomever, not you Trep) don't see how this or that can be accomplished, doesn't mean no one else does, especially the people DOING those things. People with a lot more experience and ability and insight, I'd like to think, have a grasp on what can and cannot be done, when you're talking about a product launch of a new brand and technology.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:09 PM   #91
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

My only concern looking at the new controller is that it really is shaped like a remote. That is not ergonomically designed to fit you hand like most game controllers - wouldn't your hand get tired using this in a fast paced game? The left handed add-on seems good though.

Lynsie
Old 09-16-2005, 09:12 PM   #92
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairygdmther
My only concern looking at the new controller is that it really is shaped like a remote.
There is no such thing as a definite shape:

http://img386.imageshack.us/img386/3...heel3fl5dx.jpg

Awesome.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:18 PM   #93
FlipFrame

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad

Awesome.
See, NOW we're all "think'in"...

...awesome indeed...and

Traditional Controller WITH Motion Sensing Anyone? (scroll down to the bottom)

...if you guys can't see how awesome THAT will be...effectively what I thought the Revo controller was going to be all along...well there you go. (Artist Rendition based on information given)

Nintendo knows whats what.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:23 PM   #94
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoG

Let me get a bit closer to the screen. Waaaaaaah!

It'll be interesting to see if Nintendo will make and sell such "adapters" on its own, or if its up to the developers to design their own thing. To each game its own?
Old 09-16-2005, 09:25 PM   #95
FlipFrame

Quote:
Let me get a bit closer to the screen. Waaaaaaah!

It'll be interesting to see if Nintendo will make and sell such "adapters" on its own, or if its up to the developers to design their own thing. To each game its own?
Well that one in paticular is Nintendo's cradle. As I mentioned somewhere above, a 3rd party can make some wicked 'themed' cradles such as swords, bats, boxing gloves, pistols/rifles, kitchen utensils, fly swatters and dental tools (watch the video ).

Its all so very cool.
Old 09-17-2005, 01:28 AM   #96
El Luchador

Send a message via ICQ to bigjko Send a message via MSN to bigjko

Quote:

Awesome.
Oh, man. That is just wicked.

The possibilities are virtually endless here. Last night, on my way to school I had this neat idea of a game set in the wild west (yawn?), complete with catching bad guys with a lasso, whipping horses to go faster and so on, and so on.

I mean, I could just imagine swinging that controller, then letting go of A to have my lasso flying across the screen, nabbin' those bad guys. Or a hectic action-scene where I have to steer an out-of-control horse wagon by actually pulling, and whipping.

EDIT: Nice interview with a Nintendo business honcho, about how they're going to attract more gamers.
Old 09-17-2005, 02:53 AM   #97
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamandMax
I have honestly never played Madden, but porting Splinter Cell seems quite feasible with the remote controller + analog stick add-on.

Based on what I know (correct me if I'm wrong!), from a code point of view porting to/from the PS3 will be a lot more problematic than changing your code for a different input control scheme. It doesn't matter that much if the system has a controller, or a touchscreen, or a gyroscopic thingamagic, as far the code is concerned. It does take some creative redesigning of the controls, but that's already been necessery to a lesser extent for current-gen ports.
Old 09-17-2005, 03:08 AM   #98
Snowden

Marek is quite correct. What matters most in porting games is the very core of the gaming box, such as the CPU. When the CPU is different (think PS3 as Marek pointed out) you're in for trouble. This could potentially be a business 'solution' as games are tied to your console only because it will be difficult to port it to something else.

This doesn't seem to be the case with the Revolution.

Old 09-17-2005, 03:19 AM   #99
El Luchador

Send a message via ICQ to bigjko Send a message via MSN to bigjko

You owe it to yourself to watch this video.

Hilarious, and lookin' fun.
Old 09-17-2005, 08:18 AM   #100

The thing will have a "shell" which will allow you to play games traditionally as well...something like this (this is just a mock up):

I think this might be a good thing for adventure gamers since adventure games can be made better for consoles with this new control.

For those who think it's a light gun...it's different. It can also judge your motion, your distance from the tv, etc. Still, a light gun and analog with a few other buttons do allow for better FPSing.