You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Nintendo Revolution controller revealed. Pure crap?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2005, 12:12 AM   #41
Tactlessly understated

Send a message via AIM to Kingzjester

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoG
Well no, the input is derived from the two sensors attached to either side of you television, rather than using photon retrieval from the tube. The controller is being tracked in 3D space, so if we were reliant on pointing the front of the controller at the tv constantly, you'd not only get reduced range of motion, the distance from the tv and the size of the tv would make anything BUT duck hunt games impossible.

Watch the video, and you'll see that the controller is being thrashed around quite a bit, well outside the boundaries of the television screen.

Cheers bud
Ok, dude, you're nitpicking. I know all that jazz, I know how the olden lightgun works. With this controller it will be possible to play duckhunt, whereas, you know, you couldn't do it with the regular Gamecube controller. That is my point. "Lightgun on steroids" sums it up pretty well.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:16 AM   #42
Epinionated.

Nah, because a light gun is incredibly limited. You can't judge distance and swing and movement in the same way as this thing, it's working in 3D space.

Watch the video to see suggestions as to how it'll work. You can interact much more with the games objects onscreen to an unprecedented, direct level compared to any other controller out there, including the DS' touchscreen.

Plus it looks sexier than both the PS3 and XBOX 360 in the final shot.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:17 AM   #43
FlipFrame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingzjester
Ok, dude, you're nitpicking. I know all that jazz, I know how the olden lightgun works. With this controller it will be possible to play duckhunt, whereas, you know, you couldn't do it with the regular Gamecube controller. That is my point. "Lightgun on steroids" sums it up pretty well.
GAH!!!

You confused me you bastard...I thought perhaps you were sincere about thinking it was based off lightgun tech...the joys of inflectionless forum posting!

Well at least others will have a better idea then, so disregard my 'nitpickyness'

Hehe...
Old 09-16-2005, 12:17 AM   #44
Tactlessly understated

Send a message via AIM to Kingzjester

Speaking of the demo video, where can I see it without having to register and whatnot?
Old 09-16-2005, 12:21 AM   #45
capsized.

Quantic Dreams next title will be released on Rev only. Man, now that I'm thinking of it. "Physical immersion", "not just a simple remote control", blahblah.. Poor guys, should've waited some more years before starting development! Oh, I never had a lightgun for NES. Did it rawk?
Old 09-16-2005, 12:23 AM   #46
FlipFrame

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad
Quantic Dreams next title will be released on Rev only. Man, now that I'm thinking of it. "Physical immersion", "not just a simple remote control", blahblah.. Poor guys, should've waited some more years before starting development!
I'd actually 'want' to mop then!
Old 09-16-2005, 12:25 AM   #47
FlipFrame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingzjester
Speaking of the demo video, where can I see it without having to register and whatnot?

IGN Hands On

Okay here's the TEASER VIDEO

Just to note, there isn't a single bit of graphic or gameplay, just the people playing it, but its fantastic and clear
Old 09-16-2005, 12:59 AM   #48
Psychonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
Plus it looks sexier than both the PS3 and XBOX 360 in the final shot.
It looks like a remote control. What's sexy about that

It was quite funny the thread started out with oh it's crap and as more info has been made aware it might actually turn out to be ok. Still looks like crap and I would need to try it out to see how it feels before claiming that Nintendo are the next messiah or anything.

I can already image all the sports games using this controller. Problem with thay though is that people play football, basketball, snooker, tennis or any other sport on consoles because they suck in real life. Making the motions more and more realistic kinda negates the point.

i.e If you had to mimic the perfect swing in your livingroom with the controller then you wouldn't be any better at it than "real golf" and wouldn't pull off the fantastic shots that I can pull off in Hot Shots Golf or Tiger Woods.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:59 AM   #49

I think it sounds awesome. Yeah, visually it's not an interesting design, but as long as it sits comfortably in the hand... who really cares? This has great potential for gameplay. The only thing I have some misgivings about is the having to stand in a particular spot thing, but I imagine that probably sounds more restrictive than it is.

Kingz and EvoG, I couldn't agree more.

If this works as well as it sounds, I'm getting one.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:15 AM   #50
FlipFrame

Yea I was wondering about the 'red X' myself in the demonstration, but then again, you've got to believe they have a calibration system, and that it would be silly to have each person demoing it, 'calibrate' the controller particular to their tastes, so it was pre-set to save time.

As for the comments on how it looks...assuming the 'tech' isn't so top secret that Nintendo would refuse, just think of the field day 3rd parties could have with this. Imagine the MadCatz "Theme", a 'Revolutionary' Revolution Controller that has different 'skins' you can snap onto it. It has the main 'guts' of the tech, then allows you to snap on the baseball bat skin, or the Zelda sword skin, or the Kitchen Set skin (for the cooking game) or the fishing pole skin or the Taurus .454 Casull skin for, um, shooting stuff! Hehe.

Cheers
Old 09-16-2005, 01:33 AM   #51
Least used avatar ever

Realized a couple things:

The difficulty with doing a sword on Revolution is that you're not getting any real resistance from anything it strikes. So there's going to be some awkwardness there. The guy in the trailer has to fake it (I mean, he's faking the whole thing, but you get my point). Same with the gun recoil guy.

I also noticed that on the trailer, the bottom two buttons are labelled X and Y, whereas in the press pics they're B and A, same as the trigger and big button under the d-pad. Discrepancy!
Old 09-16-2005, 01:42 AM   #52
FlipFrame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moron Lite
The difficulty with doing a sword on Revolution is that you're not getting any real resistance from anything it strikes. So there's going to be some awkwardness there. The guy in the trailer has to fake it (I mean, he's faking the whole thing, but you get my point). Same with the gun recoil guy.
Not really an issue. There was/is a boxing arcade game that requires you wear real gloves and then beat the hell out of your virtual opponent, and you never actually 'hit' anything. Not only is it fun, its one hell of a workout.

What will happen is you'll develop a 'hit' point, where you will do as much as you need to to execute your 'move' and work beyond the lack of any 'contact'. You'll swing just enough to see your avatar swing. Lets look towards the dynamic of actually being able to swing your controller to attack with your sword, upgraded from simply pushing the A button, which is even less "realistic".

Yes, no one will 'fake' recoil of a gun or contact of a sword, so I wouldn't really look too much into it...we've all done 'play fighting' where we dont actually hit eachother and make the PURRZCH sound for punching.

Hmm, then again, dont forget it has rumble...so there's your 'contact'.

Neat.

Last edited by EvoG; 09-16-2005 at 01:53 AM.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:55 AM   #53
Epinionated.

That's what I was going to say. A rumble definitely gives you the feel of contact.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:56 AM   #54
Least used avatar ever

I hear what you're saying, EvoG. I'm just commenting on the trailer, which can give a false impression of how things work (also, just to be sure, I'm quite enthusiastic about Revolution--see previous posts in this thread ). In practice, if the game actually mapped your sword movement directly to your controller movement (e.g. sword guy in the trailer), and you swung through when you were actually blocked, that would cause some problems which even the rumble feature can't prevent. I'm sure you can work around it somehow, but it will involve some awkwardness. Either you'd have to immediately recalibrate, or the sword would just pass through things regardless of a block but only damage if there was no block, etc.

If you were just doing gestures that called preset moves, that problem wouldn't arise. Not as intuitive as direct mapping, but doable.

Regardless, the particular way in which the trailer guy was swordfighting (stopping the swing precisely when he was blocked) isn't going to be feasible, I think.

Last edited by Moron Lite; 09-16-2005 at 02:18 AM.
Old 09-16-2005, 02:06 AM   #55
Homer of Kittens

Nintendo has just kissed the console war goodbye IMO. The controller looks damn cool, but goodbye Nintendo as a console manufacturer.

Firefox rules
Old 09-16-2005, 02:10 AM   #56
Living with my love

Send a message via MSN to Tobbe

After reading the article, my mind changed, I think the controller turn out fine, ok a little original, but so what?
Old 09-16-2005, 02:20 AM   #57
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_manelius
After reading the article, my mind changed, I think the controller turn out fine, ok a little original, but so what?
So bye bye most third party support, unless somehow they can manage to capture every single button and every single feature in the current XBOX 360/PS3 controllers. How many publishers are willing to invest in the revolution now? Not only are the graphics much inferior to PC/PS3 and 360 but the controller itself is its own animal. And when you already have a niche console in the form of the cube, how many publishers are willing to spend so much money to support this whackiness.

Firefox rules
Old 09-16-2005, 02:27 AM   #58
Living with my love

Send a message via MSN to Tobbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
So bye bye most third party support, unless somehow they can manage to capture every single button and every single feature in the current XBOX 360/PS3 controllers. How many publishers are willing to invest in the revolution now? Not only are the graphics much inferior to PC/PS3 and 360 but the controller itself is its own animal. And when you already have a niche console in the form of the cube, how many publishers are willing to spend so much money to support this whackiness.

Yeah, you got a point there..I just meant that I think the gamepad will work fine, I mean using it..
Old 09-16-2005, 02:28 AM   #59
Least used avatar ever

I think you have to consider the accessibility of swinging a controller around versus having a controller with dozens of buttons and two twiddly knobs and so on and so forth. Nintendo's looking to move beyond the traditional gamer demographic and attract more females and older people to videogaming, most of whom are intimidated by the complexity of current controllers, and the sizeable literacy gap in understanding how to play established genres.

The number of people who are not hardcore gamers is much larger than the number of people who are. If Nintendo can build a sufficiently sized audience (potentially larger than the PS3's) from this much bigger slice of the population, then getting ports of traditional console games is irrelevant. The new audience has cash and third-parties will move to create content for them. Also bearing in mind that they probably won't have to spend as much dough creating the UBER-RAEALISTIC!!!1 graphics and cutscenes and stuff that PS3 and X360 games will mostly require, because these non-traditional gamers aren't graphics whores.

Last edited by Moron Lite; 09-16-2005 at 02:34 AM.
Old 09-16-2005, 02:33 AM   #60
Epinionated.

Japan will go crazy over this, and that's enough. The DS has got more support than people imagined would happen, too, and lifted off crazy big. They're not competing with the other consoles, they're making something that most will want it even if you've got a PS3/360, as the DS is so different to the PSP. It's a teeny console meant for gaming and will also, no doubt, end up retailing for cheaper than both of the others and undercut them.

Nintendo know what they're doing. They've seen the failings of the Gamecube and have gone for innovation. As usual, there will be a slow trickle of excellent, essential titles from Nintendo and other developers will want a shot at trying their hand at original games purely for that console, as there are many Japanese companies that prize creativity over mass-market appeal unlike the western developers.

Graphics are not the be-all and end-all of gaming. The popularity of the DS over the PSP and Another Code running high in the charts in Europe show that. People want to have fun, and this is aiming for that market. You'll be able to simulate golf swings, all sorts, so you can exercise as well as play - no doubt there will be titles catering for that market. Nintendo have seen a hole and filled it... knowing they don't have the funds of the bigger companies to compete on a power-level.

People who can afford it will have the PS3 and 360 alongside a Revolution. People who can't afford the PS3 and 360 will go for the Revolution. People who prize creativity over graphics will go for it too... I wouldn't proclaim it dead before it proves itself, that's for sure.