You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Nintendo Revolution controller revealed. Pure crap?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2005, 09:44 PM   #21
El Luchador

Send a message via ICQ to bigjko Send a message via MSN to bigjko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Of course, the whole point-&-click concept could inspire companies that make strategy games and adventure games to flock to Nintendo. But I'm wondering how it would handle action/adventure games and first person shooters.
According to reports the FPS controls worked pretty well, and Wired News got used to it pretty much on-the-spot.

I don't see the need for Nintendo to be "normal", as you put it OrangeBrat. There's already two "normal" consoles out there.

And to clarify, this isn't a laser pointer. There are two sensors near the TV, that sense the controllers position in the room. Thus, it senses its distance from the TV, and its orientation. Swing it like a sword, use it as a fishing pole, etc.

Like with the DS, I'm already thinking up some nice uses for this kind of controller.

And on a final note, f**k that thing looks sexy.

EDIT: Yeah, and don't forget. Everyone pretty much said "WTF?!" when they announced DS. Fast-forward in time, and you've got DS owning PSP.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:46 PM   #22
merely human

I'm not made of money, sorry. I'll just stick to saving up for Xbox 360. If I ever somehow stumble on lots of money I'll get a Rev and a PS3 as well. Hmmm, cross that. I'll get me a new PC and a notebook (for my writing work).
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-15-2005, 10:01 PM   #23
Tactlessly understated

Send a message via AIM to Kingzjester

Oh, wow! MAN! You have no idea how stoked I am about this thing!

Light gun capabilities! That is so FREAKIN AWESOME! It was about time light gun came in with the standard controller again! This will definitely take gaming where it should go, screw the Multimedia Center 360 and the Super Computer, this is the shiznit, yo.

Swoon!

Old 09-15-2005, 10:05 PM   #24
merely human

Who the hell is that hot wet stud in your av?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-15-2005, 10:09 PM   #25
Tactlessly understated

He is the product of decent camera work and mad Photoshop skilz.

Old 09-15-2005, 10:15 PM   #26
merely human

Shit. Must. Not. Drool.

Um... ... I didn't know meteors ate meat.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:38 PM   #27
Tactlessly understated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Um... ... I didn't know meteors ate meat.
And how!

I forgot to mention, in addition to decent camera work and mad Photoshop skilz, the rabid narcissism.

Anyhow, we're here to talk about how freakin' sexy the controller is and how narrow-minded our flock of traditional adventure gamers is.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:42 PM   #28
OB

Quote:
I don't see the need for Nintendo to be "normal", as you put it OrangeBrat. There's already two "normal" consoles out there.
I do since every modern console controller ever made has the same basic shape more or less. Why change it just for the hell of it...which is exactly why they did it(ewww....viva Revolution). This will flop miserably unless they offer a normal alternative(i.e. standard) or if those Gamecube controllers work. Pure garbage.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:43 PM   #29
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingzjester
And how!

I forgot to mention, in addition to decent camera work and mad Photoshop skilz, the rabid narcissism.

Anyhow, we're here to talk about how freakin' sexy the controller is and how narrow-minded our flock of traditional adventure gamers is.
< catches himself gazing at pic >

Wh-- whuh? Oh, yes yes! Adventure gamers are a bunch of curmudgeonly tightwads, quite.

Um, that newfangled controller thing looks like it can't decide if it wants to be a state-of-the-art gynecological probe or a cutting edge dental hygiene appliance for the home.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:50 PM   #30
Tactlessly understated

Oh, for crying out loud! You can just tilt it to the side and you have an old-fashioned NES controller! The current controllers with a gratuitous crapload of buttons and knobs are not good for much NEW INVENTIVE GAMEPLAY -- THIS THING IS.

Read a goddamn article on the controller, you orange brat, and then feel free to spew bile to your heart's content.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:31 PM   #31
Citizen of Bizarro World

De si magarce? O cemu sada bulaznis?
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 09-15-2005, 11:33 PM   #32
ACK!

Send a message via MSN to Tanukitsune

All I'm saying it should have at least as many button as the N64 since the Revolution will have the old N64 games for download...

This is what I had in mind...
Old 09-15-2005, 11:36 PM   #33
Tactlessly understated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mares
De si magarce? O cemu sada bulaznis?
Ne jedi govna, fukaro. Ozbiljan sam.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:41 PM   #34
FlipFrame

I love (with all due respect) people *cough*youknowwhoyouare*/cough* making ignorant snap judgements without thoroughly assimilating what it is they are brazen enough to opine about. Perhaps its time to get a clue!

Either way, this is going to be spectacular. For some time I've been saying that this focus on graphics for next-gen is starting to do me in, and believe it or not I'm an industry artist(doing Unreal 3 projects). All the games are the same, just prettier!

Its about time we have something truly next-gen, or dare I say, revolutionary with regards to HOW we play with our games.

Do some research guys. Watch the official show trailer. Read the demonstration writeups on Gamespot or IGN and give some thought to what this is proposing.

...and to note...
  • Its not a lightgun
  • Its not a remote control
  • You plug in a variety of peripherals into the bottom of this controller, such as the included 'analog stick'. Others include a mic, a camera and a trackball

...examples in the demo video...
  • Two guys 'cooking' by using the controller to cut food(holding it like a knife) and stir in a 'wok'(holding it as a spoon)
  • A guy doing 'dental surgery' by using the controller as a drill
  • A guy holding two controllers to play drums, as you'd imagine
  • Girls swatting at bugs with the controllers
  • In one of the written descriptions, they demonstrated flying a plane on screen around a giant world and over and through stuff all the while holding the controller like a paper airplane and 'flying' the controller as we all did with toy planes and Xwings when we were kids(well, I still do it today)

Lets not forget swinging swords, boxing with two controllers, driving like a steering wheel or holding it like a gun for first person shooters.

Yes its that cool...thank goodness we're going to have some new gameplay to look forward to. Think about it....

Cheers
Old 09-15-2005, 11:43 PM   #35
capsized.

How am I supposed to push the buttons? Thumb? Or.. er.. - am I supposed to push some buttons at all? Oooohh.. the times they are a-changing. (And it's about time!)
Old 09-15-2005, 11:47 PM   #36
FlipFrame

The analog attachment has two buttons (Z1 and Z2) on the front and the 'remote controller' has a B trigger button and an A top button and D Pad for your thumb.

You dont need as many buttons as you think...games need to become more elegant and refined.

Less buttons != less control.

Keep in mind that you have a '6 degress of freedom' device thats going to account for a lot of interaction.

Again lets do some 'outside the box' thinking here and toss out convention, just for a bit eh?
Old 09-15-2005, 11:51 PM   #37
Tactlessly understated

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoG
Its not a lightgun
It sortof is. Not the same exact 20-year-old technology, but it is a light gun of sorts... on steroids!
Old 09-15-2005, 11:53 PM   #38
capsized.

Sounds really cool, EvoG. I think that's the kind of thing they actually needed for Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy. I mean, how far can you go with lame-ass gamepads and (oh the horror!) mice and keyboards? Dragon's Lair. Obviously.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:06 AM   #39
FlipFrame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingzjester
It sortof is. Not the same exact 20-year-old technology, but it is a light gun of sorts... on steroids!
Well no, the input is derived from the two sensors attached to either side of you television, rather than using photon retrieval from the tube. The controller is being tracked in 3D space, so if we were reliant on pointing the front of the controller at the tv constantly, you'd not only get reduced range of motion, the distance from the tv and the size of the tv would make anything BUT duck hunt games impossible.

Watch the video, and you'll see that the controller is being thrashed around quite a bit, well outside the boundaries of the television screen. Keep in mind that the controller can be moved closer or further from the screen with effect, as demonstrated by a "where's Waldo" demo, where a large environment was navigated by moving the controller around, and once you think you've found "waldo", you move the controller 'towards' the tv to zoom in to see. Lightgun technology could not offer that.

Cheers bud
Old 09-16-2005, 12:08 AM   #40
Epinionated.

This is a hilarious thread. Tons of "AAAGH! ITS SHIT!" at the beginning, a bit of um'ing and ah'ing, then a conclusion that Nintendo are geniuses and lots of toungues being bit.

This looks amazing and the way it works has far more innovation and flexibility than the X-box 360 controller and PS3 controller combined. It's a whole new way of playing games. Nintendo don't want to outright compete, so they do something so crazy-out-there that people would want it to complement the other two consoles. They're geniuses.