You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Feedback The Hype-o-Meter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2005, 02:54 PM   #1

Default The Hype-o-Meter

Hey, it is time for Jack's discusson of the Hype-o-Meter? Time for any reclassifications?

I really like that part. I'm kind of behind on my game player, so this helps me keep up.

Not that there are screenshots from "And Then There Were None", do you think it will make the list again?
Old 08-20-2005, 05:49 PM   #2
Super Moderator

I doubt it'll be long before it's updated. VOYAGE has shipped early, and Indigo Prophecy and MYST V are due out very soon indeed, so that's at least three places on the chart available for new and re-entries.
Old 08-21-2005, 05:51 AM   #3
rare groove

Send a message via ICQ to Pappapisshu

Broken Sword 4 should rightfully be at the top!
Old 08-21-2005, 06:32 AM   #4
Hopeful skeptic

Rats. I was hoping no one would notice, at least until Indigo Prophecy released, so I wouldn't have to keep updating. But no rest for the lazy, it seems.

No sneak peeks now, though. (Meaning, I haven't decided. )
Old 08-21-2005, 07:04 AM   #5
Dungeon Master

Oh goodie! A kind suggestion for your consideration, then:

1) Unless you were terribly disappointed with it upon reviewing, Fahrenheit deserves taking over the first place for these last weeks before the release, based on Forum discussion alone.

2) Please don't overhype the new Broken Sword (meaning, if it has to land on the list just now, let it be not higher than #6). "Because it's there" is really too little to get excited about, especially considering the firings and financial problems Revolution had last year. Also: remember BASS 2
Old 08-21-2005, 10:42 PM   #6
I'm complicated

Send a message via MSN to smashing

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
Oh goodie! A kind suggestion for your consideration, then:

1) Unless you were terribly disappointed with it upon reviewing, Fahrenheit deserves taking over the first place for these last weeks before the release, based on Forum discussion alone.
I think the discussion of Fahrenheit is mainly due to the recent release of their demo, and the marketing they are doing in recent months. As much as I hate to see Fahrenheit to overtaking Dreamfall, I think Fahrenheit should deserve the first spot as what AFGNCAAP suggested.

Quote:
2) Please don't overhype the new Broken Sword (meaning, if it has to land on the list just now, let it be not higher than #6). "Because it's there" is really too little to get excited about, especially considering the firings and financial problems Revolution had last year. Also: remember BASS 2
I think there are overwhelming enthusiasm in the forum about Broken Sword. It'll definitely be overhype with all the fans and more. But I wonder... have the game even been designed yet?
Old 08-22-2005, 12:03 AM   #7
fire breathing

go dreamfall
Old 08-22-2005, 12:11 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashing
I think Fahrenheit should deserve the first spot as what AFGNCAAP suggested.
Agreed.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:17 AM   #9
I'm complicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade
go dreamfall
we should be proud.

GO DREAMFALL
Old 08-22-2005, 06:22 AM   #10
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
That's a terrible idea!! Pretty much the worst idea EVER! I should know, because I had the same one!

Also: Done.

Quote:
No worries there. No free H-o-M rides on my watch.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:34 AM   #11
Irritant F0rum Beasty

Just out of curiosity, is that like the official new Hypo-o-Meter for the month, or are there more alterations still to come?

The Seed accepts no responsibility for any damage that my have been caused to your Hard Drive as a result of viewing this post!
Old 08-22-2005, 06:44 AM   #12
I'm complicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
That's a terrible idea!! Pretty much the worst idea EVER! I should know, because I had the same one!

Also: Done.

No worries there. No free H-o-M rides on my watch.
Awww... just one change? And frankly, wasn't there more hype on Myst V and Voyage than Paradise?
Old 08-22-2005, 06:50 AM   #13
Hopeful skeptic

No, there's more to come, as Voyage needs to be replaced, at the very least. Don't hold your breath for a major overhaul, though.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:52 AM   #14
Irritant F0rum Beasty

What about Bone? There's been tons of stuff released about that during the last couple of weeks, not least from this very website.

The Seed accepts no responsibility for any damage that my have been caused to your Hard Drive as a result of viewing this post!
Old 08-22-2005, 05:46 PM   #15
I'm complicated

Given the disparate views about the HoM elsewhere in the forum, is it possible to be slightly more democractic, and conduct a secret poll to all the forum members? Members are to choose from a list of upcoming adventure games, and cast 10 votes for the most-deserving HoM games. From there, the mods/admins should then decide, with the consideration of the number of votes cast for each game, how the HoM is ranked.

Geesh! Sounds a lot like the all-star ballot huh?
Old 08-22-2005, 08:29 PM   #16
The Solomon of Sarcasm

Hmmm, a new House of Tales game is coming out. Now, I'm in a minority on this one, but I thought Moment of Silence was a pretty sorry excuse for an adventure game. Scarcely any puzzles to be found, a semi-dead atmosphere...it should have been a movie, not a game. It was just so...pre-rendered-ish. I just hope Overclocked doesn't get more highly ranked than it deserves.

And when the hell is Dreamfall coming out, already? Quarter 3 is almost over here, Ragnar...

Advertisers don't program morals into their audiences. It would be bad for business.
--Sara Ogaz, Queen of the World

Just about every adventure game includes you needing to combine a ham and a wrench to make a "porkscrew".
--Kevin Wilson
Old 08-23-2005, 12:39 AM   #17
Elder

Send a message via MSN to RaMa

It was quarter 4, authumn .
Old 08-23-2005, 06:22 AM   #18
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashing
Given the disparate views about the HoM elsewhere in the forum, is it possible to be slightly more democractic, and conduct a secret poll to all the forum members? Members are to choose from a list of upcoming adventure games, and cast 10 votes for the most-deserving HoM games. From there, the mods/admins should then decide, with the consideration of the number of votes cast for each game, how the HoM is ranked.
We periodically do polls, but the H-o-M doesn't specifically cater to the AG forums, so we also take the larger adventure community into consideration. And occasionally we need to use some discretion for reasons that may not be widely known (delays, publisher issues, whatever). So the forums are only one piece of the puzzle. That said, I'm pretty sure a poll would bear out the games that are currently on it.
Old 08-28-2005, 07:34 PM   #19

Tony Tough 2 might be included this time. It looks lovely.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:39 AM   #20
Pixelhunter

Hello?

Released games still on the Hype-o-Meter:
  • Bone
  • Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit
  • Myst V

Missing games on the Hype-o-Meter (IMHO) -- in alphabetic order:
  • Ankh -- release in October?
  • Keepsake -- release in February?
  • Overclocked -- because we know so little about this game, all we can do is hype it
  • Tony Tough: A Rake's Progress -- release in December?

Last edited by 2GooD; 09-26-2005 at 04:04 AM.