You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Feedback Can we have our own wiki?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2005, 06:55 AM   #1
I'm complicated

Send a message via MSN to smashing
Default Can we have our own wiki?

Hail almighty administrator. Could we have our own wikipedia page hosted under the umbrella of AG? I don't really know how to go about doing the page though, but here's something that a bunch of composers managed to cook out, in order to list down anything and everything about new music.

I mean, wouldn't it be nice to bring have a wiki dedicated just for adventure games, and bringing to light not only the developers and publishers behind some of the bigger budget titles, but as well as introducing some of the brains from the amateur scene?
Old 08-13-2005, 09:20 AM   #2
kamikaze hummingbirds

Yes! That would be a damn good idea!
Old 08-13-2005, 11:27 AM   #3
Fulci lives

Hurry up before Just Adventure+ beats you to it.
Old 08-13-2005, 12:07 PM   #4
The Solomon of Sarcasm

Good idea! I would support that in a heartbeat.

Advertisers don't program morals into their audiences. It would be bad for business.
--Sara Ogaz, Queen of the World

Just about every adventure game includes you needing to combine a ham and a wrench to make a "porkscrew".
--Kevin Wilson
Old 08-13-2005, 01:09 PM   #5
kamikaze hummingbirds

I fully advise this!!
Old 08-13-2005, 01:10 PM   #6
merely human

You're not thinking of reproducing the huge argument about what constitutes a first person adventure at this junction, are you, smash?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-13-2005, 01:32 PM   #7
Epinionated.

Kneel before my mighty argumentative bastardness.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:32 PM   #8
merely human

Kneel? What is this? <dirty mind> time again?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-13-2005, 02:31 PM   #9
Epinionated.

What you do when you kneel is up to you. I just give the orders. You may call me El Grande Poobah.
Old 08-13-2005, 06:25 PM   #10
I'm complicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
You're not thinking of reproducing the huge argument about what constitutes a first person adventure at this junction, are you, smash?
I think it's unavoidable that arguments would arise when it comes to the more controversial categorisation of stuff, be it the definition of adventure and whatnot. But rather than raising the argument out in the real wiki which I doubt most would even bother (honestly, who would go and look at the comments section when one searches for terminologies in wiki?), why not have our own wiki, where the comments actually account for something?

Furthemore, I'm much more interested in find out more about adventure games that were released, and who the hell are the people behind some of the successful amateur game. Wiki would gve these underground people a chance to put up a short biography, and link their website there for people to know more about their project and whatnot. I do also wish that uncommon adventure games could at least become part of the wiki too. Heck! Don't seems to find information about Biosys anyway...
Old 08-14-2005, 11:24 AM   #11
fov
Rattenmonster

This is an interesting idea, but I don't really understand what it would have to do with AG. Our website contains this type of information already.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be good to have the info on wikipedia, but if anyone can post to wikipedia (which seems to be the case), why not just go for it?
Old 08-14-2005, 12:50 PM   #12
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Another idea: Why not make an Adventure Gamers Forum Encyclopedia like they have over at AGS?

In it we could include the more active forumites (and also special ones like Jesus, if we want), and also commonly used terms ("Panned")and phrases (I can only remember one of the ones I made, right now: "My Moon goddesses can beat up your sun god." ).

That would be fun, I think.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 08-14-2005, 12:59 PM   #13
Doctor Watson

Anyone who wants to start his own public Wiki might want to check out Wikicities.
Old 08-14-2005, 01:38 PM   #14
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Of The Seven Annoying Grins
Another idea: Why not make an Adventure Gamers Forum Encyclopedia like they have over at AGS?

In it we could include the more active forumites (and also special ones like Jesus, if we want), and also commonly used terms ("Panned")and phrases (I can only remember one of the ones I made, right now: "My Moon goddesses can beat up your sun god." ).

That would be fun, I think.

-
Old 08-14-2005, 08:51 PM   #15
I'm complicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
This is an interesting idea, but I don't really understand what it would have to do with AG. Our website contains this type of information already.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be good to have the info on wikipedia, but if anyone can post to wikipedia (which seems to be the case), why not just go for it?
While AG have lots of information of adventure games as it is, a number of things are rather disorganised. For example, games are only listed when it's featured in a preview or a review. What about the many other older titles that aren't featured? There are games that were absolutely not mentioned in AG at all, like Death Gate, Biosys and Bureau 13 (debatable of course!) just to name a few. Also, what about the defunct adventure games developer companies? Shouldn't we as readers and supporters of adventure games pay tribute to developers that were forced to fold, in face of the changing market or changing focus of the group?

Most importantly, I really feel that a wiki under AG would benefit the amateur adventure game scene, where developers could put in biographies to inform the audience of the existence of such a person. While I believe many of you in the forum know who the amateur developers are, having close working relations and whatnot, wouldn't it be wonderful to bring them out in the light, asking them to write down something about themselves, their work and their philosophy in a wiki entry, so that people who are half the globe away (like me) could know who's who. Frankly, other than visiting every single amateur adventure game developer's personal sites (which are rather hard to locate in the first place!), there's no unified database to link them up. Wiki under AG could potentially provide such a platform.

Just to quote the objective as stated in Sequenza21's wikipedia:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrybowles
What we hope to do here is to build a reader-created community/encylopedia of new music composers, performers, history, schools, important works--you literally name it. Since first person sources are always the best place to start, I am hoping that all of you who are active in creating and playing new music will create entries for yourself and the groups you are associated with.
And yes, you have a point in putting the information out in wikipedia. But wikipedia as it is, is just about as chaotic as the internet. I mean, if you wanna know about adventure games, why bother coming to AG when you could easily just google it? Isn't the whole idea of coming to AG as a one-stop information centre for adventure games, rather than painstaking filtering and wasting time browsing sites after sites with not so relevent information?

The general wiki is big and mighty, but having a small and concise AG wiki could potentially keep the focus down to more specific stuff, where discussions could be more meaningful to parties concerned.
Old 08-14-2005, 09:27 PM   #16
El Luchador

Send a message via ICQ to bigjko Send a message via MSN to bigjko

The more I think about this, it sounds pretty good. And something AG should sponsor, even if it did none of the actual work of putting the info in.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:41 AM   #17

Quote:

I hear you, bro'!

-

Old 08-15-2005, 02:40 AM   #18
Psychonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamham Chan
Hurry up before Just Adventure+ beats you to it.
Thought I would just point out that JA+ has had this type of feature for a while.

It has an online encyclopedia called "The JAVE" maybe not in the Wiki style that seems popular these days, but it does the same thing.

Old 08-15-2005, 06:03 AM   #19
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

I have a comprehensive list of adventure games of more than 1000 compiled from 7-8 online sources (although it needs to be updated for 2005) that I could contribute.

Lynsie
Old 08-15-2005, 06:48 AM   #20

Quote:

In case you didn't know what I meant, you can look at the AGS Dictionary.

And if you don't want to do something like that, you can at least read it. I think it's funny, though a bit hard to find.

-