You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Feedback (Not So) Private Messages

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2005, 06:00 AM   #1
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage
Default (Not So) Private Messages

Yesterday, a friend brought to my attention that under the "Who's Online" section, not only can you see that someone is reading or composing a Private Message, but you can also see who that PM is to or from.
My question is this: Is it really the entire forum's business who corresponds with whom via PM? Shouldn't Private Messages be exactly that, Private messages?

Just curious,
ScottMate

Share the love.

<3
Old 07-21-2005, 06:09 AM   #2
fov
Rattenmonster

You can?! I thought only Mods could see that.

Have you always been able to tell, or is this recent?

(Incidentally, I kind of like that feature because then I know if someone I PMed is responding to me and if I should hang around online long enough to get the PM.)
Old 07-21-2005, 06:34 AM   #3
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

I think it's always been that way - but I agree with Scott - it's no one's business who you are PMing.

Lynsie
Old 07-21-2005, 06:42 AM   #4
Bad Influence

Well sure, I can think of several reasons why Mods should be allowed that privilege, but it is available to any and all who stagger in the door and sign up.

ScottMate

Share the love.

<3
Old 07-21-2005, 06:53 AM   #5
fov
Rattenmonster

To play devil's advocate - why? What bothers you about someone knowing you're sending a PM to a certain person? (Not trying to invalidate the concern - I'd really like to hear what the issues are, because it doesn't bother me at all for people to know who I'm writing a PM to. It's not like the content of the PM is public.)

If privacy is that big of a concern that you don't want anyone knowing you're conversing, there is always email (although that's not working through the forum right now ) or MSN or something. (Or you could set it in your profile so your status on the board is "hidden" - then people won't see you in the Who's Online list at all.)
Old 07-21-2005, 07:06 AM   #6
Squeaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Or you could set it in your profile so your status on the board is "hidden" - then people won't see you in the Who's Online list at all.
People would still be able to see when other's are PM'ing you, though.

I think it's a valid concern. Being able to see who's PM'ing who definitely makes the P a little less 'private' and a bit more 'public'. Just seems to defeat the purpose of the function somewhat.

I think just seeing that someone is PM'ing would be sufficient information for the Who's Online list. No need to say who they're actually writing to.

In response to your devil's advocacy :
emailing is inconvenient as you have to go to the trouble of acquiring someone's email address. Same for MSN and the like - not everybody has this option.

p.s. Looks like you'll be getting a message from Jack soon

Last edited by simpson_yellow; 07-21-2005 at 07:12 AM.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:16 AM   #7
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpson_yellow
p.s. Looks like you'll be getting a message from Jack soon
I know. I wish he'd hurry up and finish it. I'm late for work.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:25 AM   #8
Bad Influence

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
To play devil's advocate - why?
For one thing, it caught me by surprise yesterday when someone mentioned this to me. Since they're called "Private Messages", I thought privacy was implied in both content and correspondant.
Quote:
What bothers you about someone knowing you're sending a PM to a certain person? (Not trying to invalidate the concern - I'd really like to hear what the issues are, because it doesn't bother me at all for people to know who I'm writing a PM to. It's not like the content of the PM is public.)
Two things, really:
One, as with starting new threads or responding to existing ones, I often get a whole page typed in and say "Umm...nah!" at the last minute. The "Who's Online" area wouldn't reflect that the message was never sent, only that I spent some time typing it in.
My second concern is the big one, though. The person who informed me of this feature said "Yeah, I see that you and so-in-so PM each other all the time", which just flew all over me. I don't necessarily mind telling anyone that so-in-so and I PM each other, but I don't like being told by a third party who I PM regularly when it's really none of their business.
As I said, I don't mind the fact that I'm reading or composing a PM being public knowledge, but it just irks me that who the PM is to or from is made public knowledge as well.

Quote:
If privacy is that big of a concern that you don't want anyone knowing you're conversing, there is always email (although that's not working through the forum right now ) or MSN or something.
Privacy isn't that big a concern unless it's promised and not delivered. If the messages sent between two forum members are called "Private", then I feel that they should be so, both in content and destination. Yes, there is always E-mail, but that means leaving this forum and going to my home page.
Quote:
(Or you could set it in your profile so your status on the board is "hidden" - then people won't see you in the Who's Online list at all.)
I'm not saying I want to be hidden or that I mind someone knowing what I'm doing here, only that I wish the addressees of private messages weren't revealed along with the fact that I'm reading or composing a PM.

ScottMate

Share the love.

<3
Old 07-21-2005, 08:02 AM   #9
Friendly Server Admin

Well, vB doesn't support the disabling of detailed info on Who's Online, and I'm not about to go hacking vBulletin for the sake of one complaint, so here's the official word... I can turn off Who's Online for everybody, or you switch to e-mail as a communication medium if you're uncomfortable with private messages.

Frankly, I couldn't give a crap who sees what users I PM.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:14 AM   #10
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabacco
Well, vB doesn't support the disabling of detailed info on Who's Online, and I'm not about to go hacking vBulletin for the sake of one complaint, so here's the official word... I can turn off Who's Online for everybody, or you switch to e-mail as a communication medium if you're uncomfortable with private messages.

Frankly, I couldn't give a crap who sees what users I PM.
I vote that you leave the "Who's Online" thing. I haven't found many people to whom I can't send emails.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 07-21-2005, 11:10 AM   #11
Plumber-x company

Send a message via AIM to Filmman Send a message via Yahoo to Filmman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairygdmther
I think it's always been that way - but I agree with Scott - it's no one's business who you are PMing.

Lynsie
I agree with Fairygdmther and scott on this one I think it no one`s Business who Pming people on the forum here that not right
Old 07-21-2005, 11:19 AM   #12
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabacco
Thanks for clarifying, Doug.

I use Who's Online a lot to keep track of what's going on on the forums, so my vote is to leave it the way it is.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:34 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Thanks for clarifying, Doug.

I use Who's Online a lot to keep track of what's going on on the forums, so my vote is to leave it the way it is.
So now it comes out. I guess we finally know who the AG forum voyeur is.

This really doesn't bother me at all so I'm fine with leaving it the way it is. I really do not use Who's Online all that much to notice a pattern of who's doing what with whom but I guess there are people (non-mods) who do. Interesting.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:43 AM   #14
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyruless
So now it comes out. I guess we finally know who the AG forum voyeur is.

I don't think I had ever used it (or even noticed it was there) before I became a mod. That's probably why I thought the ability to see who was PMing who was linked to mod privileges.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:47 AM   #15
Friendly Server Admin

I'd hoped that the implication was obvious in my original post, but there's no way I'm turning Who's Online off. Nobody's forcing you to use PMs, so if you're bothered by them, don't use them. It's as simple as that. I consider the matter closed.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:43 PM   #16
Bad Influence

My intention was not to cause a major problem. I was just caught off guard by the fact that if I'm composing or reading a PM, anyone who wants to can see who the PM is to or from.
Now that I know this, I will bear it in mind in future.
At least by bringing the subject up, other people here who may not have been aware of this feature before are aware of it now.
I guess if I decide to carry on an illicit, torrid affair via the internet, I'd better use regular E-mail instead of PMs.

ScottMate

Share the love.

<3
Old 07-21-2005, 07:34 PM   #17
Squeaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrift Store Scott
My intention was not to cause a major problem. I was just caught off guard by the fact that if I'm composing or reading a PM, anyone who wants to can see who the PM is to or from.
Now that I know this, I will bear it in mind in future.
At least by bringing the subject up, other people here who may not have been aware of this feature before are aware of it now.
I guess if I decide to carry on an illicit, torrid affair via the internet, I'd better use regular E-mail instead of PMs.

ScottMate
I'll send you my address.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:49 PM   #18
Prove it all night

Send a message via MSN to James

Ugh, while I can appreciate some people's concerns regarding privacy, if it were really an issue, you'd use a more secure and private form of communication - the use of a public forum isn't the most discrete way of communicating.
"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible." - Thomas Edward Lawrence
Old 07-22-2005, 02:39 AM   #19
with extra cheese!

Who's Online is pretty cool for checking on what everyone's doing at a given moment. Anybody notice that members tend to be reading mainly current threads, while Guests delve into the archives a lot more? I've found a lot of interesting old threads by stalking Guests around

Myself, I don't particularly mind people seeing who I'm PMing, but it makes me a bit uncomfortable to see Person X PMing Person Y, like I'm watching some strange little love affair I'm not supposed to know about...
and all the signs that should show me what's right and what's wrong have been knocked down, shaken and smothered by previous lovers and non-descript others like me, who don't know what it's for, all I know is that I want more.
Old 07-22-2005, 08:15 AM   #20
capsized.

I'm not really PMing. Mods and users tend to spank me publicly.