You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Feedback The Ci... The Preview of Metronome

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2005, 01:42 AM   #1
Dungeon Master

Default The Preview of Metronome

...where sound is your interface (I really like this quote)

Not many new details (or actually, a lot of new details, given that the development just only started), but still an excellent article that really sets any self-respecting adventurer to drooling. Thanks, AGA.

As far as you were shown, how is the game shaping up in terms of interactivity and linearity? For example, is there usually only one correct sound to overcome an obstacle, or any fitting a particular description will do? Are there recordable sounds that serve no purpose? Will the game consist of pretty linear path of challenges, or will the whole City be usually at player's disposal?

Last edited by AFGNCAAP; 06-24-2005 at 03:09 AM.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:07 AM   #2
After 2 years...

Now, there's one more somewhat interesting title to wait for.

I wonder if you could record the sound of a door opening and then make it sound horrifying flooding the enemies with fear... lol

Is it me or does it ring a Discworld Noir deza-vu...but with noise instead of smell. (at least a far imporved idea of the sense-use )
you are in a
Dreamfall
Old 06-23-2005, 03:48 AM   #3
AGA
AdventureGameAficionado

Heh, thanks for the comments

Well we were given a sit-and-watch-us-play-the-game kind of showing, and only one solution for each problem was shown. That's not to say that various sounds wouldn't work for any given puzzle, but I don't know that for sure.

One thing I forgot to mention was that apparently you'll be able to record the sound of a small, yappy little dog, lower the pitch, and use it on an enemy, making them think there's a big, scary dog there. Pretty cool puzzle idea

The impression I got was that pretty much everything that makes a sound of some sort will be recordable. However, that's just speculation at the moment, given the game doesn't really exist in anything near a complete form yet. Anything could change along the way...
Old 06-23-2005, 06:44 AM   #4
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
As far as you were shown, how is the game shaping up in terms of interactivity and linearity? For example, is there usually only one correct sound to overcome an obstacle, or any fitting a particular description will do? Are there recordable sounds that serve no purpose? Will the game consist of pretty linear path of challenges, or will the whole City be usually at player's disposal?
All we saw was a prototype that was put together to attract publishers. They stressed pretty heavily that what we were seeing was NOT the game, and that at this point the prototype is all that exists. So we're a long way away from knowing anything at this level of detail.

In fact, they seemed very surprised at all the media attention they were getting. Their objective was to attract a publisher, not to promote their game.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:58 AM   #5
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake
Default Metronome Preview

Great preview, Berian! I saw the Metronome preview and was blown away. I hope they get a publisher.

One inaccuracy in the preview is the number of sounds you can carry at a time... In the demo we saw, the sound capture device had three canisters which could each hold a sound, and when we asked they said the number of sounds you can carry at once hasn't been finalized. From what I could tell, sounds work like inventory items, but you can use them any time you want, and you can only use a sound once (though sounds in the demo would loop indefinitely until you let go of the sound button), because once you use one you can't get it back without re-recording a new copy.

Though I'm hesitant to put this up due to bandwidth reasons, here's an AVI of the Metronome E3 presentation... it's a bit bright and you can't hear it very well (quiet, and the sound is out of sync! sigh) but it gives you a good idea of what's there.

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens

Last edited by Jake; 06-23-2005 at 11:54 AM.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:07 AM   #6
fov
Rattenmonster

Merged.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:08 AM   #7
Tactlessly understated

Send a message via AIM to Kingzjester

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Merged.
Like a fox!
Old 06-23-2005, 11:10 AM   #8
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Oh man I'm a failure. It's that silly title of the other thread, I totally missed it.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:16 PM   #9
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
Oh man I'm a failure. It's that silly title of the other thread, I totally missed it.
Where's that really big pan?
Old 06-23-2005, 12:20 PM   #10
Hopeful skeptic

Good to know, Jake, thanks. I'm relieved to hear it, too, because a single sound capacity would be awfully limiting.

I sincerely hope a publisher steps up to the plate on this one (and then doesn't tamper much with the core design). This game has GOT to be made.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:53 PM   #11
AGA
AdventureGameAficionado

Eek, my bad. I should learn to take more extensive notes than just 'one sound at a time'. I must have meant 'one use of a sound at a time' or something. Silly me.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:57 PM   #12
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGA
Eek, my bad. I should learn to take more extensive notes than just 'one sound at a time'. I must have meant 'one use of a sound at a time' or something. Silly me.
At least you were taking notes.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:20 PM   #13
AGA
AdventureGameAficionado

Yeah, you guys just made up all your 'information'. Point and click interface, what an outrageously unlikely feature!
Old 06-23-2005, 10:56 PM   #14
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Now that was an interesting video, it was cool to se the game in action.

The world and it's surroundings look very unique.
Thanks Jake, now I'm even more interested in this game than before.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 07-01-2005, 03:22 PM   #15
TM3

The premise and storyline sounds pretty engaging. Gameplay is something different. And it's got an attractive art-style and a neat world. I'll keep my eyes open for this one.
I just want you to know who I am..."
"IRIS"-GOO GOO DOLLS
Old 07-01-2005, 05:14 PM   #16
OB

Looks great.

Here's another link to the same file. It's split so you need both to view the entire thing. Also, they're RAR files, so you'll need Winrar to extract. You'll only have to extract the Part1 file because it'll automatically start the other one as long as it's in the same folder.

http://rapidshare.de/files/2739904/m...part1.rar.html - 42.9MB

http://rapidshare.de/files/2740208/m...part2.rar.html - 34.4MB

Click the "Free" button, wait for the timer to expire, download to your PC.