Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Feedback (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/feedback/)
-   -   Chat Room!! (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/feedback/8642-chat-room.html)

Kazmodan 06-16-2005 04:57 PM

How about an AG TeamSpeak channel with vocal reviews and discussions?

SakSquash 06-16-2005 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kazmodan
How about an AG TeamSpeak channel with vocal reviews and discussions?

Ha, teamspeak? We'll be lucky if we actually get the chat room. We'll cross the teamspeak bridge when we get to it.

pinkgothic 06-17-2005 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
We had an 'official' AG irc chat room before, but it didn't turn out popular enough. I do like the idea, but I don't like irc, it's not... sophisticated enough. Something is lacking about it that makes ongoing chats unsatisfying.

Heathen! You're lucky I vowed not to pan anyone for the rest of the day. ;)

I've got an IRC chatroom on a cozy little server that I could offer to be run over, the upside would be that there's already people in it for other reasons than AG, so the problem of the first AG person coming to chat having to twiddle thumbs would fall away...

Er, one step too far. *rewinds* Trep! How can you not love IRC? It's so wonderfully basic and with some scripting you can make it do really nice, super interactive things. :D Er. :D *scripts her mIRC* :crazy: *sweatdrops*

*holds banner up: "Vote for IRC!", and another banner in subliminal white on white[*]: "Vote for irc.darkmyst.org"*

^_^

[*] careful, specific-server-spam. :D

Kazmodan 06-17-2005 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by temporaryscars
Ha, teamspeak? We'll be lucky if we actually get the chat room. We'll cross the teamspeak bridge when we get to it.

Many communities have both, an IRC chat and TeamSpeak channel. Just recently, with the release of Battlefield 2 demo, there were up to 1000 people (their TS channel's limit, I think) in BF2 TeamSpeak channel, it was insane. They also had an IRC chat channel to accompany it, so that people could whisper their questions to the admins/mods, and they'd answer them by voice on TeamSpeak for everyone. Was a lot of fun. :P But by all means, take it one thing at a time, it was just a suggestion.

Jeysie 02-09-2006 10:13 AM

Hmm. Resurrecting this thread after Dale pointed it out...

I'm with Pink, Trep... IMHO, IRC's strength is its simplicity. You can easily chat with anyone you like anywhere, with whatever client you want, without having to worry about signing up for several different accounts and using several proprietary clients (or worrying about the IM service locking out your third-party all-in-one client tomorrow).

It also beats things like Java chatrooms, IMHO. I like being able to use my own customized client instead of having to deal with a Java chat with quirks I can't change (and which is more likely to bog down my browser). Of course, you can always use a Java IRC client if you want to, anyway.

What sort of sophistication do you need, out of curiousity? You can already private chat, full chat, pass files, "buddy list" notifications, send colored text, and most clients offer some kind of scripting ability. Depending on what IRC network you use, you might also be able to do stuff like, say, roll D&D dice macros. ;) IMHO most everything else is fluff, and you can always just pick some IRC client that lets you use it. About the only thing I really miss on IRC is the ability to see if someone's typing a reply or not.

At any rate, it would be nice to have a AdventureGamers IRC channel. I rarely ever go onto IM networks because the people I talk to regularly all use IRC, and it's easier to chat with them there. But I'd even reluctantly settle for a Java chat room or something, if it meant I could dish with y'all sometimes. :)

Peace & Luv, Liz

fov 02-09-2006 10:53 AM

Our position on this hasn't changed. If anyone wants to set up an unofficial chat room, that's totally fine. It's not going to be hosted or maintained by AG, but there's nothing stopping community members from setting one up and posting a link in Chit Chat.

RLacey 02-09-2006 11:06 AM

OK, let's do an experiment to see if anyone actually joins. I've put an unofficial IRC room called #adventuregamers on irc.americangirlscouts.org. I bet nobody will join it, though...

RLacey 02-09-2006 02:26 PM

Wow, we've got a few users :crazy:.

So, yeah, the more the merrier!

SakSquash 02-09-2006 02:44 PM

The link isn't working for me.

Jeysie 02-09-2006 03:14 PM

Sak/Bruno/Tempsie:

Try this Java client for now, and we'll walk you through getting hooked up with a real IRC client. :)

Peace & Luv, Liz