You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2005, 09:09 AM   #101
fov
Rattenmonster

I started URU last night and I'm actually.... enjoying it. *falls over dead*

The ability to create an avatar makes a huge difference for me. I wish they'd let you do that in Myst V, too.
Old 06-12-2005, 09:12 AM   #102
Jen

http://www.eamesprimer.com/

This guy Eames Demetrios, grandson of Charles Eames, was a film student in San Francisco back in the early 80s. I have a credit in his first film. I didn't even do anything, just hung with the crowd. My long-ago ex did the music for it.

Um, wouldn't it be cool if Atrus sat in an Eames chair wearing an Eames splint in Myst V?
Old 06-12-2005, 10:22 AM   #103
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
I started URU last night and I'm actually.... enjoying it. *falls over dead*

The ability to create an avatar makes a huge difference for me. I wish they'd let you do that in Myst V, too.
That's great, fov! I loved the av creation process, too. It feels like I got own little Trep doll to dress up and play with. Have fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen
http://www.eamesprimer.com/

This guy Eames Demetrios, grandson of Charles Eames, was a film student in San Francisco back in the early 80s. I have a credit in his first film. I didn't even do anything, just hung with the crowd. My long-ago ex did the music for it.

Um, wouldn't it be cool if Atrus sat in an Eames chair wearing an Eames splint in Myst V?
That's marvelous, Jen!! Your charm was most likely enough for him to appreciate you in a credit.

Heh, it might be out of character for Atrus to be an Eames fan, but it could make for an intriguing plot detail.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 06-12-2005, 05:33 PM   #104

The reason you got to do all that avatar creation stuff is that Uru was originally a multiplayer game. That's the only reason it's there, as far as I can tell.
Old 06-12-2005, 06:26 PM   #105
merely human

But it still worked for me in the singleplayer game.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 06-12-2005, 07:23 PM   #106

Yeah, I enjoyed it too - having a unique avatar. My point (which I didn't say well) was that it was in the game because of something else - from when Uru was an online game. I can't see how any developer would devote all that time and effort (which translates to money) into such avatar customization for an adventure game.

I think it's also kind of frustrating. You have this great avatar, but your avatar can't do very much, and there is no reason for them do "do what they can do", in the game. I like being able to sit and laugh and run and point and..... (can't remember all the commands). It's fun, and being able to sit is great for screen shots, but it doesn't affect gameplay.
Old 06-12-2005, 07:28 PM   #107
merely human

Maybe Cyan have more up their sleeves in the future than we think.