You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2005, 12:03 PM   #81
fov
Rattenmonster

You are an evil group of people.

I just ordered Myst IV. ($19.99 from Gamespot with free shipping!) And while I was at it, I went down to EB and got myself a (used) copy of URU for good measure.

Why do I buy new games when I have so many unplayed? WHY?!
Old 06-10-2005, 12:08 PM   #82
merely human

Because you're a pack rat and a fanatic.

What you're doing is exactly what I never want to do, because I'll regret it. I'd rather have just a few games (of any genre) that I actually play and enjoy than a whole closetful for games, most of which I'll probably never play. And think about the accumulated costs of those games you'll never play.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 06-10-2005, 12:12 PM   #83
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
And think about the accumulated costs of those games you'll never play.
Well, I hardly ever buy games new, and when I do it's even rarer for me to buy them at full price. The fact that I was able to find bargains on these is part of the excitement.

Besides, I spend 50 hours a week at a job I hate. I should get some pleasure out of the money I make.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:13 PM   #84
merely human

Sorry, hon, but that doesn't necessarily mean you'll ever get to play ALL those unplayed games in your closet.

Enjoy Uru. I did. Be patient with the crappy control system. You'll eventually get used to it.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 06-10-2005, 12:26 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
You are an evil group of people.
We are indeed evil but you still love us, right?

I'm also a master at buying games and the not playing them. I think I have maybe 20-30 games sitting gathering dust unplayed and I also continue to buy new games. Then there are games like Jazz and Faust or Legend of the Lotus Spring which I did try to play but didn't get very far because I just didn't like them at all. These, I will probably never touch again. Maybe another 20 games fall in this category.

Speaking of pack rats, I think a lot of hardcore AGers are notorious for having multiple copies of AGs. I also suffer from this syndrome. For Example, I actually have three copies of TM:UaKM. Why did I get three copies of the same game? Don't ask, it's a mystery but ebay had something to do with it, I think.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:32 PM   #86
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Sorry, hon, but that doesn't necessarily mean you'll ever get to play ALL those unplayed games in your closet.
With that attitude, I'd never ever (well, at least not until I move out of my parents' ) buy any book again.

But I actually envy you, Trep. I have too much games which I'll never understand why I bought in the first place.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:37 PM   #87
merely human

It really applies to everything - books, games, DVDs, clothes - EVERYTHING. Why take up far more room than you need to in this world? Just imagine if you suddenly need to move and have only 1 day to pack everything you need for it. That'll give you an idea of how much useless junk you're dragging around in your life.

Erm..... .....great Myst V preview, y'all!!
Old 06-10-2005, 12:41 PM   #88
fov
Rattenmonster

I also have about a bazillion books that I haven't read. Yet.

My games are not hiding in the closet, though. They're out on the shelves for all to see. And yeah, it's very hard for me to pass up a good deal on an AG, even if I already have it. In fact, the only reason I hesitated on buying Myst IV from Gamestop was because I wanted to try to find the limited edition, which contains a copy of Myst III. Of which I already have two copies.

On the plus side - having more than one copy of a game makes them easy to pass on to others, and I have done my fair share of sending people games for nothing in return. So I think it all balances out, karma-wise.

And Christina, great preview! I never would have bought Myst IV or URU if you hadn't written it. (And I probably would have blown that money on margaritas instead!)
Old 06-10-2005, 12:42 PM   #89
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Besides, I spend 50 hours a week at a job I hate.
Been there, done that... I hope that one day you'll do work that you love. Beats any game.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:54 PM   #90
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
I also have about a bazillion books that I haven't read. Yet.

My games are not hiding in the closet, though. They're out on the shelves for all to see. And yeah, it's very hard for me to pass up a good deal on an AG, even if I already have it. In fact, the only reason I hesitated on buying Myst IV from Gamestop was because I wanted to try to find the limited edition, which contains a copy of Myst III. Of which I already have two copies.

On the plus side - having more than one copy of a game makes them easy to pass on to others, and I have done my fair share of sending people games for nothing in return. So I think it all balances out, karma-wise.
Yes, but will you ever actually PLAY all those games?

I love you, fov.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:54 PM   #91
Dungeon Master

Quote:
It really applies to everything - books, games, DVDs, clothes - EVERYTHING. Why take up far more room than you need to in this world? Just imagine if you suddenly need to move and have only 1 day to pack everything you need for it. That'll give you an idea of how much useless junk you're dragging around in your life.

Erm..... .....great Myst V preview, y'all!!
I agree as far as the principles go, but you can hardly change this about me - it's like trying to convince chain-smoker that addiction to cigarettes is disastrous, whether economically, medically or psychologically speaking. He may even nod to what you say - and then get himself another one. And reading books at least doesn't stink.

(And don't worry about going off topic: I think the topic of books is somehow linking to the one of Myst )
Old 06-10-2005, 01:02 PM   #92
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Yes, but will you ever actually PLAY all those games?
I'm under no illusions that I will. And that makes it okay.
Old 06-10-2005, 03:13 PM   #93
merely human

Good. Get rid of them.
Old 06-10-2005, 03:56 PM   #94

Quote:
Good. Get rid of them.
If you somehow manage to convince her to get rid of some of her games, can I be the waste basket? I can always use more games even the ones I have multiple copies of.

Old 06-10-2005, 04:03 PM   #95
merely human

O god.
Old 06-10-2005, 04:07 PM   #96
merely human

Hey gilly!! Would love to sit side-by-side with you and play Myst V together when it's out.

keep yer groping hands to yerself, tho.
Old 06-10-2005, 06:32 PM   #97

Quote:
It really applies to everything - books, games, DVDs, clothes - EVERYTHING. Why take up far more room than you need to in this world? Just imagine if you suddenly need to move and have only 1 day to pack everything you need for it. That'll give you an idea of how much useless junk you're dragging around in your life
Buying is fun. Owning is fun.
I like to buy all the latest CD of my favorite bands, for example, without even reading the critics. So I bought the last Metallica album, which is quite obscure, and only listened to it twice. But what the hell, I have it, it stands proudly in my collection, and I feel happier for it.
The same goes for AGs.

This is a costly habit, that's for sure, but as long as one does have enough money to indulge in it, why spoil the fun?
Old 06-11-2005, 05:54 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
Buying is fun. Owning is fun.
I like to buy all the latest CD of my favorite bands, for example, without even reading the critics. So I bought the last Metallica album, which is quite obscure, and only listened to it twice. But what the hell, I have it, it stands proudly in my collection, and I feel happier for it.
The same goes for AGs.

This is a costly habit, that's for sure, but as long as one does have enough money to indulge in it, why spoil the fun?

I agree. I used to collect records. Then books. Then plants and gardens. Now games. It's sensual delight in owning beautiful things. It always amazes me how indignent people get when you have games you don't play. Hee hee. The plants and books are long gone though I still have the records. I imagine the games will go some day too. Maybe I'll start buying shoes next and not wear them. What I'd REALLY like to collect is art but that's way out of my league. I'd love to fill my house with beautiful paintings and sculpture and like Eames chairs and stuff. I'm such a material boy.
Old 06-11-2005, 06:05 PM   #99
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout
I'd love to fill my house with beautiful paintings and sculpture and like Eames chairs and stuff. I'm such a material boy.
I only want one Eames piece for myself: the LCW, in mahogany. I actually have a leg splint designed by Charles Eames as his contribution to WWII, based on his experiments with bentwood. It's more sculpture than anything, but if I ever break a leg....

I used to be materialistic, until one day I decided: "F#&k all these designer clothes, expensive coffeemakers, and shit! I just want the basic things, stuff I actually use. I'm not interested in showing off, not interested in having thousands of objects. I read a book, I donate it to Salvation Army." And even today I have too much crap in my possession. I wonder if I was a Buddhist in a past life.

Erm, how 'bout that Myst V, eh?
Old 06-11-2005, 11:40 PM   #100

You're just in love.

I swear I saw that Eames leg splint in the latest Atomic Ranch issue by the way. I only want the couch, the 4 chairs, the dining room suite, the clock, the rocker, all the lamps and sidetables and a redone fireplace. That's all. Then I'll be happy. I promise.

Yeah, Myst. Hey. Myst 5. I think I will get it too. I liked 2 and 3 pretty well. Missed 4 and URU because of retro RPG fever. But 5 looks damn good.