You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Feedback The Five Star Rating

View Poll Results: Do you like the five star rating?
Yeah 18 51.43%
Nope 9 25.71%
Other 8 22.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2005, 09:11 AM   #1
SamNMax

Default The Five Star Rating

How do you like the five star rating? I personally hate it. It's just too vauge. When 1893: A World's Fair Mystery can get the same rating as Grim Fandango, your rating system is flawed. I would much rather like a ten scale rating. Anyone agree?

Old 05-08-2005, 09:37 AM   #2
Hopeful skeptic

I'll be curious to see this poll result, myself. But just for the record, the rating system has nothing to do with your example. They're vastly different games and scored highly for what they are. They could just as easily have been given identical 9/10 ratings, or 88% ratings, or whatever.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:43 AM   #3
Dungeon Master

Umm, effectively there is a ten-scale ratings, right? Thanks to the half-stars? And frankly, your example is not a proof of any kind. I could easily take two such games that the one I regard better got the same or lower note on the chosen site, whatever its scoring system may be. And I suspect you haven't played 1893 anyway.

Last edited by AFGNCAAP; 05-08-2005 at 12:04 PM.
Old 05-08-2005, 12:02 PM   #4
Doctor Watson

Who trusts ratings anyway? The review itself is more useful
Old 05-08-2005, 12:04 PM   #5
SamNMax

Yeah. Good point.

Old 05-08-2005, 12:24 PM   #6
Curiouser and curiouser

Indeed. Siskel & Ebert got along with just three rating categories--thumbs up, down, or sideways. The rating is a convenient rule of . . . uh, thumb . . . to indicate an overall impression, and the review itself lets the reader figure out if the game is likely to be to his or her taste. I think it's not broke and doesn't need fixing.
Old 05-08-2005, 12:43 PM   #7
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I'm not a huge fan of any review scores (except as a rather pathetic developer, for whom scores are everything!).

However, since nobody is about to remove them altogether, and will give you plenty of reasons for them staying, I don't really have that much of a problem with the current 10-point system (half-stars, y'see).

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 05-08-2005, 04:55 PM   #8
Retirement is stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamNMax
How do you like the five star rating? I personally hate it. It's just too vauge. When 1893: A World's Fair Mystery can get the same rating as Grim Fandango, your rating system is flawed. I would much rather like a ten scale rating. Anyone agree?
Really. I would very much like to hear your critique of 1893.

"An episodic sociopathic lagomorph? The mind boggles."
Old 05-09-2005, 10:01 AM   #9
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

I'd rather the reviews be run unscored, but I like having the stars there as a shorthand point of reference saying "is this game crap, kind of good, or really worth checking out" before I read the reviews. I can cruise for 3.5-5.0 star reviews of games that I otherwise wouldn't have been interested in.

Also given that AG includes half stars, it is a 10 point rating system. Unless you actually meant including one decimal point as well, in which case you were asking for a 100 point rating system.

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 05-09-2005, 01:28 PM   #10
SamNMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger
Really. I would very much like to hear your critique of 1893.
I think it's a very interesting game, and I have respect for your review. But, and I'm sure many people would agree, It can't compare to Grim...

Sir.

Quote:
Also given that AG includes half stars, it is a 10 point rating system. Unless you actually meant including one decimal point as well, in which case you were asking for a 100 point rating system.
Alright, alright. I'm talking out of my ass.

Old 05-09-2005, 02:02 PM   #11
El Luchador

Send a message via ICQ to bigjko Send a message via MSN to bigjko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
I'd rather the reviews be run unscored, but I like having the stars there as a shorthand point of reference saying "is this game crap, kind of good, or really worth checking out" before I read the reviews.
In light of that, I think a thumbs up - down - sideways type of system would be much more helpful, and less confusing.
Old 05-09-2005, 02:53 PM   #12
Easily amused

The only usefullness of a rating system is where you are aware of the preferences of the reviewer. Otherwise, they don't mean much.
For example, I know what kind of games FGM likes, so her ratings would mean something to me. That is one of the virtues of hanging out at gaming forums - you get to know the tastes of the reviewers. Even relatively objective guidelines are grey areas.
Old 05-09-2005, 03:07 PM   #13
Bearly Here

even with the thumbs method - people would then stew over the length of the thumb - or - was it really to the side or just flexed funny and why couldn't you bend the thumb.

I realy like percentages the best - but think you have to stick with what people are familiar with and here it's stars.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:31 PM   #14
Retirement is stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamNMax
I think it's a very interesting game, and I have respect for your review. But, and I'm sure many people would agree, It can't compare to Grim...
That sounds suspiciously like "I've never played it." But I'm just reading into things, as usual.

Old 05-10-2005, 02:27 AM   #15
pain is love

Who cares about the rating. Just read the review. Ratings are there for lazy people.

There are more old drunks then old doctors. - Willie Nelson

by_100ja
Old 05-10-2005, 04:23 AM   #16
Grumpy & bitter man

Send a message via ICQ to VoodooFX Send a message via MSN to VoodooFX

Here are the steps I follow when reading reviews at our site:

1. read pros
2. read cons
3. read bottom line
4. read the review

the end

I always say that we have some very talented writers aboard, what score they give a certain game is their own view on the matter. By reading their review you get the picture what they liked, what they didn't, and why they gave it so and so many stars and why not half more or 2 less. I you like an aspect of a game that the writer didn't, like action sequences, timed puzzles, just to name the two, then you can adjust your personal score accordingly. Or better yet, write your own review and post it in Reader Reviews section of the forum... and you'll find out what others think of it.

I could live without a rating system altogether, like I've said once before, I don't care if it's in numbers, stars, apples or cheese bits(sorry Marek ). Rating system doesn't warrant a quality written review anyhow.

What I like on this site is that even a game with one or two stars gets the attention and a quality written review, no matter what the final score in the end is. Here you won't see a review containing 10 sentences why the game sucks, like in some other, non-free publications, *cough* *cough* PC GAMER *cough* *cough*
Old 05-10-2005, 04:37 AM   #17
merely human

I always say, going by score alone is for dabblers, but truly reading the review and formulating your own take on it is for pros.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 05-10-2005, 06:43 AM   #18
pain is love

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooFX
cheese bits
But that could actually be better and more precise than the five star rating, look:

At least it's less confusing

There are more old drunks then old doctors. - Willie Nelson

by_100ja
Old 05-10-2005, 07:58 AM   #19
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100ja a.k.a. mr_mitja
But that could actually be better and more precise than the five star rating, look:

At least it's less confusing
Nah, Marek'd never go for that
Old 05-10-2005, 09:17 PM   #20
Retirement is stupid

Yeah, that could be a problem. Because when Marek loved a game, he'd give it zero cheese, and the more he hated it the more cheese bits he'd give it, and those of us who like cheese would reserve our cheese for the truly great games, and it could sort of get ugly.

And cheesy.