You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Feedback Mobile Adventure Series

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2005, 08:28 AM   #1
Citizen of Bizarro World

Default Mobile Adventure Series

Nice article.

A couple of things have got me thinking:

There is no spoken dialogue in these games. This makes sense, because not everyone has earphones for their cellphone, and you don't want people on the bus to be hearing what you're playing, let alone be wasting your battery by using speakerphone for an hour straight.

However, since holding the cellphone to your ear is what people mostly use cellphones for, wouldn't it be interesting if a lot of the gameplay happened through listening to your voicemail, and sending and receiving SMS messages? Of course, the costs of these services in various parts of the world may be prohibitive.

Another thing that caught my attention is that there is a puzzle in one of the games that you need outside knowledge for. Presumably, the information can be found by using your cellphone to search the internet. All these elements of cellphone usage, it seems to me, could combine to make an intriguing experimental mystery game, along the lines of Majestic or In Memoriam. And of course, if the hitch of cellphone service costs is insurmountable, you could always play a game like this on your trusty PC, as it can replicate and outdo all the cellphone features that I've mentioned above.

Finally, the X-files game has got me intrigued. The gameplay sounds like a combination of field investigation and forensic lab work. It is the kind of gameplay that you can find in the CSI game series, which is based on the show that bears the same name. However, in my oppinion, it is the X-files that have pioneered this kind of storytelling dynamic, and I think that PC is in strong need of a title that takes full advantage of it. This would blow CSI out the water, I'm sure.
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 04-16-2005, 08:28 PM   #2
Bearly Here

Quote:
wouldn't it be interesting if a lot of the gameplay happened through listening to your voicemail, and sending and receiving SMS messages?
I had a similar thought this evening when I had some cingular quiz pop up and I sms'd them yes - and they replied back. Even better if an X-Files/Majestic/AI styled game was the plot basis and sms messages were a significant part of the game - yeah that would be amazing. You could even have multi-player options where you could team play I suppose.

This article definitely had me thinking all over the place. Also planning on getting The Paper Menace. Great article - Jack.

One nice thing about the lack of sound to these games is that it reduces all those localization costs with voice tracks.

And the distribution model is easy to have as a direct D/Lfrom the developer -so no or few middle men. Developers could actually make some real money all to themselves.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:49 PM   #3
fov
Rattenmonster

I agree - great article. I can't believe I've never even heard of these games before.

We are switching cell providers in a few weeks and went yesterday to look at phones. I made sure the phone I'm planning to get will play these games.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:54 PM   #4
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

I love the idea of sound through the headset, but I think including enough soundfiles for that to be a wortwhile feature would bloat the game's filesize to be too big to fit in most phones.

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 04-17-2005, 09:57 PM   #5
Jack Bauer loves you

Send a message via AIM to artwking4

A few midi's of music for a soundtrack wouldn't have to be more than 10-20 kb on top of whatever the game itself requires. I'm pretty sure most cell phones these days can swing that.
Old 04-17-2005, 10:05 PM   #6
Citizen of Bizarro World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
I love the idea of sound through the headset, but I think including enough soundfiles for that to be a wortwhile feature would bloat the game's filesize to be too big to fit in most phones.
Well, it's like what you said about the graphics being downgradable--same should be true with the sounds in the game as well.
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 04-17-2005, 10:12 PM   #7
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwking4
A few midi's of music for a soundtrack wouldn't have to be more than 10-20 kb on top of whatever the game itself requires. I'm pretty sure most cell phones these days can swing that.
That's different than receiving spoken dialogue through the earpiece or something though. Any mobile phone that can do polyphonic ringtones could handle midi music no problem.

Ah the original post by Mares was about it coming through using your voicemail. That would be really neat

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 04-17-2005, 10:46 PM   #8
Jack Bauer loves you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
That's different than receiving spoken dialogue through the earpiece or something though. Any mobile phone that can do polyphonic ringtones could handle midi music no problem.
Ah, I see. Well, why stop there? How about voice commands then, too? Certainly easier than trying to "type" in or navigate through a menu list of commands and items. Make real use of the phone technology by incorporating it into the gameplay and control scheme.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:39 AM   #9

Most of cellphones have only 64K of RAM (plus small stack). There is no video memory (framebuffer only), sound memory. Fitting games (yes, you have to load entire game at once) to that amount of memory take lot of time and compromises, belive me.
Of course you could make game for newer cells (like series60/80). But then, you'd reach about 5% of today potentional customers.
Old 04-18-2005, 06:34 AM   #10
Hopeful skeptic

The platform has changed, but the discussion stays the same.

There's no question that newer phones have much greater capability than when these games were made. But Reptil3 is quite right (not sure about the numbers, but certainly the theory). Mobile adventures games are already a niche within niche, so narrowing your market down even further AND necessarily increasing your production budget just ain't gonna happen for too many developers ("too many" likely meaning "none").

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but did someone suggest more midi music? Good Lord, no.

Anyway, hopefully not getting lost in the discussion of the technology is that it's still the quality of the design and the writing that will make or break any game. That's where HoT's games shine - again, keeping in mind the limitations.

We'll be looking at various other mobile games down the line, but I think they're all ports of existing games, so HoT's are some of the very few original cell phone adventures.
Old 04-18-2005, 06:45 AM   #11
fov
Rattenmonster

If I were playing a game on the bus, I wouldn't want to have voice commands or music. I'd want to be incognito.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:00 AM   #12
Jack Bauer loves you

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
If I were playing a game on the bus, I wouldn't want to have voice commands or music. I'd want to be incognito.
Why not? People would think you were crazy, screaming at your cell phone, and give you lots of space. You'd have room to stretch your legs.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:34 AM   #13
cows are my friends...

Interesting concept. But honestly, I'm not sure how well it would work out for someone like me. When I'm on the go I'm not usually in a position to play games. Or if I am (like waiting for my fiancee to try on clothes at the mall) I'm not usually in the mindset to read text and try and solve a mystery. I have a small solitaire game on my phone that kills time nicely and I can start and stop in an instant. I don't think I could really enjoy an adventure game on a bus, or waiting in a mall, or anything similar. Though I'd be willing to give it a shot if any of these games were available for my phone (LG VX6000). Actually, it looks like no LG phone is supported. Odd, because the 6000 is one of the most popular phones for Verizon, the largest wireless carrier in the US. I can only imagine the newer LGs are equally as popular.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:47 AM   #14
Curiouser and curiouser

As those who've had the rare experience (I can't say pleasure) of being on the receiving end of even calls from my cell phone know, it barely functions as a communciations device, much less a games platform. I got a lot more pleasure out of Jack's article than I'm ever likely to get out of my darn phone. But if I ever upgrade and find a more user-friendly model, I'll look into the HoT games . . . they sound good enough to be worth playing even if I'm not on a bus.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:51 AM   #15

If you want to play on the bus, it's better to buy some pocketpc/palm, and play for example Fade (it's truly amazing). Of course it costs more (well, Fade costs 20 bucks).
http://www.fade-team.com/news.php <- makers of Fade.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:55 AM   #16
fov
Rattenmonster

But the point of these games is to be able to play something on a device you already own. If I wanted to play hand-held games I'd invest in a PSP or DS.

I hardly ever take the bus so it's a moot point. Do get stuck in airports on occasion though.

(The Fade screenshots look nice, though. I think $20 is reasonable if the game is long enough.)
Old 04-18-2005, 08:55 AM   #17
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyConfused
. . . they sound good enough to be worth playing even if I'm not on a bus.
And this is a key point, of course. There's absolutely no reason why one can't just be sprawled over their favourite couch and play one of these games. The fact that they ARE mobile doesn't demand that you BE mobile. That's just an added benefit for those that are.

Quadriflax, interesting about the LG's. That does seem a little surprising, so I wonder how often HoT updates the phone compatibility page.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:59 AM   #18
Under pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
But the point of these games is to be able to play something on a device you already own. If I wanted to play hand-held games I'd invest in a PSP or DS.

I hardly ever take the bus so it's a moot point. Do get stuck in airports on occasion though.
Speaking of airports, is it safe to haul a PocketPC through the luggage scanner? Or would that erase the memory of the memory card? Ooh, and what about laptops? Can they go through the scanner?

--Erwin
Old 04-18-2005, 09:01 AM   #19
fov
Rattenmonster

You have no choice with a laptop, it has to go through the machine. I assume the same with a PocketPC. I have never had a problem sending my laptop through the machine (uh, except when the guys who are supposed to be checking it take it somewhere I can't see them while I'm held up getting wanded... but that's another issue. ) I don't think you have to worry about anything getting erased.

In the US you have to remove your laptop from your bag before you send it through the x-ray machine. They flip out if you don't.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:13 AM   #20
Under pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
In the US you have to remove your laptop from your bag before you send it through the x-ray machine. They flip out if you don't.
Hee, really? That's good to know!

--Erwin