You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Feedback Smilie Faces - Am I missing something?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2005, 07:04 PM   #1

Default Smilie Faces - Am I missing something?

I'm reletively new to this forum. In going through many of the threads I noticed a number of different smilie faces. Some of them are very - how shall I say this - appropriate? Anyway, I really liked the one titled LOL. Only it isn't in the set of smilies I see as I type this. Nor is the one with the question mark over its head - or any of the red colored ones. Am I missing something here? Is there another location where these neat smilies can be found? Or do I have to graduate from Junior Member in order to get a broader choice?

Thanks - I think
Old 03-28-2005, 07:14 PM   #2
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kero
I'm reletively new to this forum. In going through many of the threads I noticed a number of different smilie faces. Some of them are very - how shall I say this - appropriate? Anyway, I really liked the one titled LOL. Only it isn't in the set of smilies I see as I type this. Nor is the one with the question mark over its head - or any of the red colored ones. Am I missing something here? Is there another location where these neat smilies can be found? Or do I have to graduate from Junior Member in order to get a broader choice?

Thanks - I think
http://forums.adventuregamers.com/showthread.php?t=7323
Old 03-28-2005, 07:38 PM   #3
Bearly Here

Did that guy ever get back to people here at AG?

Old 03-28-2005, 08:13 PM   #4
Friendly Server Admin

Dunno, I haven't heard anything.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:00 PM   #5
fov
Rattenmonster

Many of the smilies people use (Trep especially) are not AG smilies at all, but images from somewhere else.

Of the ones that were removed (discussed in the thread Doug linked to), some still work if you type in the tags for them... etc. [left to right, they are : rolleyes : , : confused : , * D , : sad : , and : ( ... just leave out the spaces.]

:eek: doesn't work anymore, though, and that makes me very sad.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:17 AM   #6
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraMac
Did that guy ever get back to people here at AG?

Nope.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:08 PM   #7
fov
Rattenmonster

I forgot about

I think the reason I like these smilies so much is their 3Dness. I like the illusion of light falling on them and also the colors. They're definitely cooler than the average smiley.

I don't really get the copyright thing. I mean, I understand the importance of copyright, but isn't the point of creating smilies that you want people to use them?
Old 03-30-2005, 12:30 PM   #8
merely human

Yes. But I think for the copyright holders it's fine if you link their smiley to your forum posts. What AG did was adopt them and put them in their smiley menu without asking for permission first or giving them credit. That's why the copyright holders got mad.

That's why I think we should host a smiley design contest and have members design some for us and the winners afford their smileys a permanent place in our menu and get credit for them.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 03-30-2005, 12:37 PM   #9
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Yes. But I think for the copyright holders it's fine if you link their smiley to your forum posts. What AG did was adopt them and put them in their smiley menu without asking for permission first or giving them credit. That's why the copyright holders got mad.
I can see that. On the other hand, linking other people's pictures in a forum post can be seen as bandwidth stealing and REALLY pisses some people off...
Old 03-30-2005, 12:38 PM   #10
merely human

Yeah, that too.

But I don't think the smiley owners were too concerned about that, seeing as AG had incorporated their property into its forum, so no bandwidth was being pinched.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 03-30-2005, 12:58 PM   #11
Friendly Server Admin

Mind you, we weren't contacted by the copyright holder him (or her) self. We were contacted by deviantart.com on their behalf, but not neccesarily even with their knowledge.
Old 04-01-2005, 12:17 AM   #12

Quote:
That's why I think we should host a smiley design contest and have members design some for us and the winners afford their smileys a permanent place in our menu and get credit for them.
Why not, sounds good.
Old 04-01-2005, 08:00 AM   #13
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:

So, what do you think of my smileys, which I posted in the "Vanishing Smileys"-Thread?

Jazhara7 >>>>*winkwink*Say no more?!*nudgenudge* >>>> Marek

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 12-12-2005, 04:56 AM   #14
Lazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Many of the smilies people use (Trep especially) are not AG smilies at all, but images from somewhere else.

Of the ones that were removed (discussed in the thread Doug linked to), some still work if you type in the tags for them... etc. [left to right, they are : rolleyes : , : confused : , * D , : sad : , and : ( ... just leave out the spaces.]

:eek: doesn't work anymore, though, and that makes me very sad.
Knowing that it may not be good to bring up this issue again now, but I still wanna ask is there any more other tags besides the above that we can still use here??
Old 12-12-2005, 07:20 AM   #15
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

Photobucket has a smiley selection you can link to and use freely

Smileys

Lynsie
Old 12-12-2005, 07:31 AM   #16
Lazi

Thanks, Lynsie.
Attached Images

Old 12-12-2005, 07:33 AM   #17
fov
Rattenmonster

Note that a lot of the ones I posted above have been changed. The tags are the same but the smilies are different now.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:45 AM   #18
Lazi

, , , , and

really? i 'm rather new here, didn't get to see what they looked like before ....
but there won't be any update on 'regular' choices on the right hand side?
Old 12-12-2005, 07:49 AM   #19
fov
Rattenmonster

is the only one that hasn't changed. The rest used to be in the same style, but we were asked to remove them by the person who (apparently) holds the copyright to those smilies.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:39 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Note that a lot of the ones I posted above have been changed. The tags are the same but the smilies are different now.
By the way, and assuming that they have changed not to infringe the copyright anymore, couldn't we have shortcuts to these smileys?

Yeah, I know, I'm a smiley whore.