Smilie Faces - Am I missing something? - Adventure Forums
You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Feedback Smilie Faces - Am I missing something?


 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2005, 07:04 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Kero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 28
Default Smilie Faces - Am I missing something?

I'm reletively new to this forum. In going through many of the threads I noticed a number of different smilie faces. Some of them are very - how shall I say this - appropriate? Anyway, I really liked the one titled LOL. Only it isn't in the set of smilies I see as I type this. Nor is the one with the question mark over its head - or any of the red colored ones. Am I missing something here? Is there another location where these neat smilies can be found? Or do I have to graduate from Junior Member in order to get a broader choice?

Thanks - I think
__________________
A little nonsence now and then is relished by the wisest (wo)men
Kero is offline  
Old 03-28-2005, 07:14 PM   #2
Friendly Server Admin
 
tabacco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Marin County, CA
Posts: 4,087
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kero
I'm reletively new to this forum. In going through many of the threads I noticed a number of different smilie faces. Some of them are very - how shall I say this - appropriate? Anyway, I really liked the one titled LOL. Only it isn't in the set of smilies I see as I type this. Nor is the one with the question mark over its head - or any of the red colored ones. Am I missing something here? Is there another location where these neat smilies can be found? Or do I have to graduate from Junior Member in order to get a broader choice?

Thanks - I think
http://forums.adventuregamers.com/showthread.php?t=7323
tabacco is offline  
Old 03-28-2005, 07:38 PM   #3
Bearly Here
 
LauraMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Barcelona
Posts: 1,145
Default

Did that guy ever get back to people here at AG?

LauraMac is offline  
Old 03-28-2005, 08:13 PM   #4
Friendly Server Admin
 
tabacco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Marin County, CA
Posts: 4,087
Default

Dunno, I haven't heard anything.
tabacco is offline  
Old 03-28-2005, 09:00 PM   #5
fov
Rattenmonster
 
fov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 10,404
Default

Many of the smilies people use (Trep especially) are not AG smilies at all, but images from somewhere else.

Of the ones that were removed (discussed in the thread Doug linked to), some still work if you type in the tags for them... etc. [left to right, they are : rolleyes : , : confused : , * D , : sad : , and : ( ... just leave out the spaces.]

:eek: doesn't work anymore, though, and that makes me very sad.
fov is offline  
Old 03-29-2005, 12:17 AM   #6
Puts the 'e' in Mark
 
Marek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,138
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraMac
Did that guy ever get back to people here at AG?

Nope.
Marek is offline  
Old 03-30-2005, 12:08 PM   #7
fov
Rattenmonster
 
fov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 10,404
Default

I forgot about

I think the reason I like these smilies so much is their 3Dness. I like the illusion of light falling on them and also the colors. They're definitely cooler than the average smiley.

I don't really get the copyright thing. I mean, I understand the importance of copyright, but isn't the point of creating smilies that you want people to use them?
fov is offline  
Old 03-30-2005, 12:30 PM   #8
merely human
 
Intrepid Homoludens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 22,309
Default

Yes. But I think for the copyright holders it's fine if you link their smiley to your forum posts. What AG did was adopt them and put them in their smiley menu without asking for permission first or giving them credit. That's why the copyright holders got mad.

That's why I think we should host a smiley design contest and have members design some for us and the winners afford their smileys a permanent place in our menu and get credit for them.
__________________
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Intrepid Homoludens is offline  
Old 03-30-2005, 12:37 PM   #9
fov
Rattenmonster
 
fov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 10,404
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Yes. But I think for the copyright holders it's fine if you link their smiley to your forum posts. What AG did was adopt them and put them in their smiley menu without asking for permission first or giving them credit. That's why the copyright holders got mad.
I can see that. On the other hand, linking other people's pictures in a forum post can be seen as bandwidth stealing and REALLY pisses some people off...
fov is offline  
Old 03-30-2005, 12:38 PM   #10
merely human
 
Intrepid Homoludens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 22,309
Default

Yeah, that too.

But I don't think the smiley owners were too concerned about that, seeing as AG had incorporated their property into its forum, so no bandwidth was being pinched.
__________________
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Intrepid Homoludens is offline  
Old 03-30-2005, 12:58 PM   #11
Friendly Server Admin
 
tabacco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Marin County, CA
Posts: 4,087
Default

Mind you, we weren't contacted by the copyright holder him (or her) self. We were contacted by deviantart.com on their behalf, but not neccesarily even with their knowledge.
tabacco is offline  
Old 04-01-2005, 12:17 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Ninth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 6,409
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
That's why I think we should host a smiley design contest and have members design some for us and the winners afford their smileys a permanent place in our menu and get credit for them.
Why not, sounds good.
__________________
...It's down there somewhere. Let me have another look.
Ninth is offline  
Old 04-01-2005, 08:00 AM   #13
Ale! And keep 'em coming!
 
Jazhara7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Beyond the Pattern of Reality...or Germany
Posts: 8,527
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
That's why I think we should host a smiley design contest and have members design some for us and the winners afford their smileys a permanent place in our menu and get credit for them.

So, what do you think of my smileys, which I posted in the "Vanishing Smileys"-Thread?

Jazhara7 >>>>*winkwink*Say no more?!*nudgenudge* >>>> Marek


-
__________________
- "esc(x) cot(x) dx = -csc(x)!" Dennis added, and the wizard's robe caught on fire. "Gosh," Dennis said, "and some people say higher math isn't relevant."

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Jazhara7 is offline  
Old 12-12-2005, 04:56 AM   #14
Lazi
 
Dobee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 393
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Many of the smilies people use (Trep especially) are not AG smilies at all, but images from somewhere else.

Of the ones that were removed (discussed in the thread Doug linked to), some still work if you type in the tags for them... etc. [left to right, they are : rolleyes : , : confused : , * D , : sad : , and : ( ... just leave out the spaces.]

:eek: doesn't work anymore, though, and that makes me very sad.
Knowing that it may not be good to bring up this issue again now, but I still wanna ask is there any more other tags besides the above that we can still use here??
Dobee is offline  
Old 12-12-2005, 07:20 AM   #15
Magic Wand Waver
 
Fairygdmther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Sarasota, Florida
Posts: 3,142
Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther
Default

Photobucket has a smiley selection you can link to and use freely

Smileys

Lynsie
__________________
Nothing can bring you peace but yourself.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Fairygdmther is offline  
Old 12-12-2005, 07:31 AM   #16
Lazi
 
Dobee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 393
Default

Thanks, Lynsie.
Attached Images
 
Dobee is offline  
Old 12-12-2005, 07:33 AM   #17
fov
Rattenmonster
 
fov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 10,404
Default

Note that a lot of the ones I posted above have been changed. The tags are the same but the smilies are different now.
fov is offline  
Old 12-12-2005, 07:45 AM   #18
Lazi
 
Dobee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 393
Default

, , , , and

really? i 'm rather new here, didn't get to see what they looked like before ....
but there won't be any update on 'regular' choices on the right hand side?
Dobee is offline  
Old 12-12-2005, 07:49 AM   #19
fov
Rattenmonster
 
fov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 10,404
Default

is the only one that hasn't changed. The rest used to be in the same style, but we were asked to remove them by the person who (apparently) holds the copyright to those smilies.
fov is offline  
Old 12-12-2005, 08:39 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Ninth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 6,409
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Note that a lot of the ones I posted above have been changed. The tags are the same but the smilies are different now.
By the way, and assuming that they have changed not to infringe the copyright anymore, couldn't we have shortcuts to these smileys?

Yeah, I know, I'm a smiley whore.
__________________
...It's down there somewhere. Let me have another look.
Ninth is offline  
 



Thread Tools

 


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.