Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Feedback (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/feedback/)
-   -   DOTT Review (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/feedback/7290-dott-review.html)

Fairygdmther 03-11-2005 06:33 AM

DOTT Review

First of all - excellent review, Chris! I had gotten a start on this game then had to put it down - I'll definitely go back to it!
Second - I was pleased to see such a well-written review - now you have no excuses - more writing from the Remixor man!
Third - writing reviews for the older games is fun! You can say what you want and no one will say you're affecting game sales by your review if it's negative. Also it gives you good practice for writing reviews, so when AG suddenly needs a new game reviewed, you're not totally at sea about how to do it.

Very good work! Keep it up! You've got what it takes!

FGM

Legolas813 03-11-2005 09:28 AM

I assume you are talking about the DOTT review on the front page. I can't even explain how happy I am that this game finally got reviewed on AG. I don't know what took you guys so long to review this game, because IMO it is the best game ever made for any platform and any genre. I replay DOTT ever year (CD version) and I still enjoy it every time. I can't express how well done DOTT is made. While most people around here are hoping for a Sam and Max sequel, I would love if a DOTT sequel was made (if it was done right).

On a side note, I'm really curious what Tim Schafer has in store for his newest game, Psychonauts.

Kolzig 03-11-2005 09:44 AM

Damn you Remo, after reading your excellent review, I just had to install DotT on my computer after *years* of silence.

I've played for hours today! *D

Fienepien 03-11-2005 11:20 AM

Good review! DOTT is in my top ten and I agree with almost everything you wrote. But... I hate spoilers in the first paragraph. Well, actually in any paragraph. And in pics. I guess I hate spoilers. :P

fov 03-11-2005 11:32 AM

Do you mean this paragraph?

Spoiler:
Insane, mutant tentacles. A frozen hamster. Three distinct playable characters. Time travel. Fake barf. Truly, this game has it all.

I haven't played the game, but they don't seem too spoilerish to me. I don't feel like anything has been given away. But I agree that spoilers in a review or a preview (*ahem* Gamespot) are not cool.

I enjoyed the review. Just wish I had a copy of the game in English. ;)

-emily

Jackal 03-11-2005 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legolas813
I don't know what took you guys so long to review this game, because IMO it is the best game ever made for any platform and any genre.

We just assumed everyone already knew how great the game was. :D But in this post-apocalyptic LucasArts adventure oblivion, we figured some people might need a reminder.

Fienepien 03-11-2005 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fov
Do you mean this paragraph?

Yep. Especially (don't look if you really don't want to know)
Spoiler:
the word frozen

Quote:

I enjoyed the review. Just wish I had a copy of the game in English. ;)
Oh but you must play DOTT! I guess you'd better learn German then, that's the logical thing to do. :P

fov 03-11-2005 01:41 PM

I'm not reading your spoiler. :D

This game never really appealed to me, but now after reading the review it does. Guess that's a successful review!

:D emily

Legolas813 03-11-2005 01:54 PM

Get the CD version. The character voices are definitely worth it.

Fienepien 03-11-2005 02:21 PM

Quote:

Get the CD version. The character voices are definitely worth it.

Best female voiceacting ever (imo, imo, imo):

1. Feeble Files: The actress who did the voices for Feeble's mother, the secretary, the girl in the phone booth, and a few other NPCs.
2. Day of the Tentacle: LAVERNE! ;)
3. Anna in The Last Express.

Legolas813 03-11-2005 04:05 PM

And guess what, the guy who voiced Dr. Fred in DOTT, is voicing a character in Psychonauts. Watch the Official 2004 Trailer and you will be able to recognize the voice: http://www.razputin.net/?page=videos

remixor 03-11-2005 08:47 PM

Thanks, guys. :) Glad you like my weirdly late AG article debut. You won't have to wait long for my next contribution, but after that I'm not making any promises. :shifty:

SoccerDude28 03-11-2005 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by remixor
Thanks, guys. :) Glad you like my weirdly late AG article debut. You won't have to wait long for my next contribution, but after that I'm not making any promises. :shifty:

Great review. I totally agree with every word in there. To me, Day of the tentacle is the best adventure game out there (well grim fandango too, they get the tie). But chris, nice job, keep 'em coming :)

SoccerDude28 03-11-2005 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fov
I'm not reading your spoiler. :D

This game never really appealed to me, but now after reading the review it does. Guess that's a successful review!

:D emily

Not surprised. You Sierra lover you :shifty: :D

Hiro Protagonist 03-12-2005 07:30 PM

Day of the Tentacle Review

Bravo Chris! A great review of one of my favorite games. I remember busting that one out on my brand new top of the line 486SX back the day...

<sigh>

memories...hehe...

Krazy 03-12-2005 07:37 PM

http://forums.adventuregamers.com/showthread.php?t=7290 :rolleyes:

fov 03-12-2005 09:24 PM

Threads have been merged. :)

Bastich 03-13-2005 04:13 PM

Quote:

While most people around here are hoping for a Sam and Max sequel, I would love if a DOTT sequel was made (if it was done right).

I'm with you. I'd much rather see another DOTT than S&M. Only Grim is better than DOTT, and it is a close call. They each have different strengths.

Anyway, great review Chris.

stepurhan 03-14-2005 05:47 AM

Excellent. Now I've got DosBox for my XP machine I must try firing up this classic again. (Last time I tried running it the music was all wonky) Talking about how the different time periods are used in puzzles without spoilers (excepting the minor one noted) was very impressive.

Do just have to mention one problem I had with the review. It's just a pet peeve of mine. (my emboldening)

Quote:

Originally Posted by remixor
the way this story is developed and mutated in accordance with the puzzles, rather than simply progressing parallel to the puzzles, is extremely impressive and a fairly unique feat.

Though common usage (bad common usage :pan: ) seems to have made this acceptable I've always understood unique to mean "being the only one" or "being without like or comparision" So either something is unique or it isn't. It can be almost unique, but it can't be "fairly one of a kind"

Jackal 03-14-2005 07:55 AM

It's common usage because in its strictest sense, the word is absolutely useless. Both everything and nothing are perfectly "unique". Every distinct thing is one of a kind, no matter how many similarities it shares with others, but nothing is "without like or comparison", as all things share something in common with others. So, creating a sliding scale of uniqueness is the only thing that gives the word any value. Makes a lot more sense to say "fairly unique" than to say "unique in sense A,B,C, but common in sense X,Y,Z."

:D